New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Versus #9!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Versus #9!

I'm going to give you guys two 3.5 classes, sometimes drastically different, sometimes very similar. I want to hear your opinions on who would win between the two, and why. The only rule is "Don't use tiers as your only means of explanation". This isn't any sort of contest, it is just a side by side comparison of classes.

Today's versus: Warlock vs Binder

Assume both are level 10 (this will not always be the case)

Use your own logic, and your own builds if you want, and explain which side you think wins.

This thread is for gathering general opinions, and is not intended to copy anything similar that may have been done already, excluding my own posts.
    Last edited by Cranthis; 2012-11-04 at 02:41 PM.
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Versus #9!

Quote Originally Posted by Cranthis View Post
    Assume both are level (this will not always be the case)
    The Binder has a really weird level-wise power curve. Could we pin this down somewhere?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    The Binder has a really weird level-wise power curve. Could we pin this down somewhere?
    Fixed, my apologies.
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You forgot the book limiting which could be a deciding factor in this matter...
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    You forgot the book limiting which could be a deciding factor in this matter...
    Now that I did not forget.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

im going to say Warlock, because of this:

Although the warlock has a very limited flexibility, the binder is from the "Tome of ideas that dont exactly work right"

Binder is a complex class, in a book with formatting that doesnt help it. the Warlock is more of a direct translation of any spellcasting DPS in MMOs, sure, it isnt as flexible, but it is straightforward and effective.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Binder is a complex class, in a book with formatting that doesnt help it. the Warlock is more of a direct translation of any spellcasting DPS in MMOs, sure, it isnt as flexible, but it is straightforward and effective.
    Neither of those is at all a hit against the mechanical capabilities of Binder. With no book limitations at all, it's a pretty even fight. Limitless Summon Monster V (Binder) from Zceryll versus the pretty impressive damage a Clawlock can dish out, and its teleportation abilities through Flee the Scene make it a pretty even fight, in my estimate.

If Web based and Dragon Mag aren't available, probably gonna be the Warlock due to being able to keep away fairly easily and the range on EB via Eldritch Spear is pretty high, and the damage will outpace the Fast Healing 2 from Buer.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    If Web based and Dragon Mag aren't available, probably gonna be the Warlock due to being able to keep away fairly easily and the range on EB via Eldritch Spear is pretty high, and the damage will outpace the Fast Healing 2 from Buer.
    Web and Dragon are available, there is no source limit for this Versus.