New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

furious Wouldn't this be Awesome: Batman Beyond. THE MOVIE

Again, angry-face to spite a certain Doctor friend of mine.

Anyway. This setting would be FANTASTIC.

Its Cyburpunk (We kinda don't get many of them anymore), and it could explore some of the more (I almost spit the word now) "darker" aspects of Batman Beyond.

Its a world where Batman retired, and doesn't get a happy ending. Hes a old man living in an empty mansion.

His corporation is taken over, and sells horrific weapons. His master enemy leaves a stronger legacy then he does, and crime and corporate manipulation run rampant.

And then a new Batman has to come along. Who to his credit is different. Terry wasn't Bruce 2.0 (Co0wlr and more RAAAAD for the kids). As terry progressed through the show his sense of humor started to disappear as the job started to get to him, but he still felt like a different person then Bruce.

I would LOVE to see a great- Live Action adaptation to Batman Beyond.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Wouldn't this be Awesome: Batman Beyond. THE MOVIE

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Terry wasn't Bruce 2.0 (Co0wlr and more RAAAAD for the kids). As terry progressed through the show his sense of humor started to disappear as the job started to get to him, but he still felt like a different person then Bruce.
    He grows into the Batman role... even in Return of the Joker (the animated film that has Terry face off with Bruce's nemesis, reborn) he throws off Mr. J with his different personality, but by Epilogue (the JLU episode that gives some closure to Terry's story) he's more similar to his predecessor than he ever would want to admit...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure if I would like to see a live action movie, I don't think the aesthetics of the show would translate very well. But I would love to see or read something new with Batman Beyond, it was one of my favourite shows when I was younger.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Blade Runner! Cmon! And with Modern CG combined with real life props it would look perfect!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Haven't seen Blade Runner and well I love animation, so I would love to see more in the big screen.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Don't forget the last episode of JLU, which adds even more depth to Terry.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Blade Runner! Cmon! And with Modern CG combined with real life props it would look perfect!
    I think its slick look is better suited to 2D animation.
    Sure, modern CGI could do it, but it would look very plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Well OK there is that. But blade runner didn't look plasticy.

I would just want one more season of Batman Beyond.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well OK there is that. But blade runner didn't look plasticy.

I would just want one more season of Batman Beyond.
    That's because Blade Runner had a very different aesthetic, more early cyberpunk mixed with 40's film noir, very industrial.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I would say Batman Beyond could translate like that as well. Less grimy but not super sleek.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

They actually planned a Batman Beyond movie, but... well. We got Nolan's trilogy instead.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Thinking about it.....Im actually very sad.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

This is basically the best place to go from here, in regards to the Nolan films. I say we have a movie or two featuring Robin's rise to Nightwing, then we cut many years later to Batman Beyond. Bruce has changed identities and moved back to Gotham, missing the place. For understandable reasons. Nightwing's already cleaned it up and moved to his own city, and has entrusted Bruce with watching his old tech incase anything ever comes up.

From there we progress as Batman Beyond does. We also get a nice character moment where Terry asks why he doesn't get the cool hawk based outfit like, and we can have Bruce talk about how the bat has always been a symbol of fear for the villians. We could get some pretty nice interplay between the two, maybe Terry being dismissive of it at first, but one his first night out expierancing just what it is to be under the cowl.

Hell, this even gives us a chance to bring Joker back without Heath Ledger, in a live action equivilent of Return of the Joker. We can explain why he looks different as a combination of age, and the fact that "With a new face for The Bat, so too must The Joker change his face."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Would love to see Nolan-batman in a dystopian, plutocratic cyberpunk setting, teeming with corruption.

Hell, I'd love to see _any_ effective use of such a setting, but that concept in particular.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    This is basically the best place to go from here, in regards to the Nolan films.
    No. Get Noland out of here. Whack it with a rusty hammer and keep that abomination (Dark Knight Rises) out of it.

Noland tries to make itself "Realistic" and "Gritty" which is why its all the more laughable when it fails.

It might be connectable if it goes the Cracked route (Also the Gothams Economy is dead, and all its crminals are on the loose once more, and Robins Batcave is still located under an Orphanage), but then there is the loose plot point of Salina to tie up.

No. Batman Beyond should show that Batman doesn't have to be super realistic and gritty to have an impact. Nolands Batman is like the flip side of Batman forever (And Tim Burtons Batman is more like: Tim Burtons; Time Burton more then anything). Batman beyond should be the movie thats in-between. The best area for superheroes to be.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-11-26 at 05:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

It might be connectable if it goes the Cracked route (Also the Gothams Economy is dead, and all its crminals are on the loose once more, and Robins Batcave is still located under an Orphanage), but then there is the loose plot point of Salina to tie up.
    My thoughts exactly. It seems like it'll only be a matter of time before Bruce's completely inexperienced, woefully underequipped replacement fails and Gotham reverts into a crapsack dystopia; it's the perfect preamble to its cyberpunk incarnation.

I'd have to disagree with you on excising grimdarkness from the Batman franchise. Dark and gritty is the best thing ever to happen to the IP even if Nolan's interpretation is far from perfect (despite being thoroughly enjoyable).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I think the Batman the Animated series at it's best was about pitch Perfect for the level of darkness for Batman. Not so much it was oppressive, but not campy either. There is a reason why several well received characters, like Harley and Doctor Freezem either got their place or were significantly revitalized in that series.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

And then a new Batman has to come along. Who to his credit is different. Terry wasn't Bruce 2.0 (Co0wlr and more RAAAAD for the kids). As terry progressed through the show his sense of humor started to disappear as the job started to get to him, but he still felt like a different person then Bruce.

He is literally Bruce Wayne's clone.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    He is literally Bruce Wayne's clone.
    No, unless they changed things after the Epilogue in Justice League Unlimited. He's Bruce's biological son.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    No, unless they changed things after the Epilogue in Justice League Unlimited. He's Bruce's biological son.
    Which is a great twist I saw coming, if only becuse they both have black hair. Tenious connection, but young me thought it was the case.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Which is a great twist I saw coming, if only becuse they both have black hair. Tenious connection, but young me thought it was the case.
    Wow, now that's Bat-logic worthy of Adam West himself!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

It's not as crazy as it sounds. Terry and Matt both being black haired children of two red heads, a very improbable inheritance, was noted by a lot of fans as evidence that Bruce was actually their father somehow. Or at least evidence that the animators didn't care about such things

There's an interesting theory I found that Warren and Mary's divorce was actually tied to Terry and Matt's appearance. Have one son that looks nothing like you, you can write it off, but have two...
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2012-11-26 at 10:00 PM.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Again, angry-face to spite a certain Doctor friend of mine.

Anyway. This setting would be FANTASTIC.

Its Cyburpunk (We kinda don't get many of them anymore), and it could explore some of the more (I almost spit the word now) "darker" aspects of Batman Beyond.

Its a world where Batman retired, and doesn't get a happy ending. Hes a old man living in an empty mansion.

His corporation is taken over, and sells horrific weapons. His master enemy leaves a stronger legacy then he does, and crime and corporate manipulation run rampant.

I would LOVE to see a great- Live Action adaptation to Batman Beyond.
    Actually, given that The Dark Knight Rises had a cybernetic leg strength enhancer, a flying bat mobile, and a kid off the street let in on the legacy while abruce himself is too old, I kinda thought that was the implicit ending of the newest trilogy. Up until the end of the newest trilogy, that is.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Makes you wonder if the Epilogue 'he's Bruce's son' was a 'Hey, why not?' on the part of the writers. While it was nice to have some conclusion, the whole bit about Bruce being his biological father actually meaning anything on an emotional level never sat well with me, to be honest.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    It's not as crazy as it sounds. Terry and Matt both being black haired children of two red heads, a very improbable inheritance, was noted by a lot of fans as evidence that Bruce was actually their father somehow. Or at least evidence that the animators didn't care about such things

There's an interesting theory I found that Warren and Mary's divorce was actually tied to Terry and Matt's appearance. Have one son that looks nothing like you, you can write it off, but have two...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Makes you wonder if the Epilogue 'he's Bruce's son' was a 'Hey, why not?' on the part of the writers. While it was nice to have some conclusion, the whole bit about Bruce being his biological father actually meaning anything on an emotional level never sat well with me, to be honest.
    I honestly think it was always intentional. Bruce always seemed like a father figure to Terry, even more then just a "mentor student" type relathionship. Atleast after awhile. The whole "Terry's parents are both red heads, and Terry's hair is the same color as Bruce's was" seems like a really good bit of foreshadowing, wheter it was at the start of series or not. It was executed well.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I actually kind of hated that twist and thought it took away a bit from Terry as a character. He's no longer proof that yes, even a normal can be amazing with the right training and dedication. I mean, sure he's not completely Batman crazy prepared and all, but he's a reaffirmation of the power of the individual.

After the reveal it's nope, Bruce Wayne just had amazing ubermensch sperm.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2012-11-26 at 11:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    After the reveal it's nope, Bruce Wayne just had amazing ubermensch sperm.
    Agreed. It was a thoroughly lazy and disappointing twist.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Agreed. It was a thoroughly lazy and disappointing twist.
    That said, I still can't find it in myself to hate the episode.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't see it that way. I thought the point was that he WASN'T a clone of Batman and stuff. It was that the genetics was unrelated to the occurrences. Its that he as a person was the Batman. Not his genes.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Like it was said already... Nolan's trilogy is all about super duper dark and "realistic". Now, Terry? He's a superhero. He meets aliens and mutants and robots. He defeats a gang of teenage cyborgs because he knows that a certain doctor loves his wife dearly.
    So no, I wouldn't want any connections between that trilogy and Batman Beyond.
    And Epilogue... I think that the point is, Terry faces a serious problem in this one. He finds out that his whole life was a lie. Everything was planned from the start.
    And in the end, he says "Fine, it doesn't change anything. I am what I am. I'm not going to change just because someone wanted to turn me into a living franchise continuation. I'm Batman. Here's the girl that I love. Here's the old man that's as close to me as a father could be. Here's my life, and I'm going to live it my way".
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.