New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Kobold

Default DISNEY + new IRONHEART series

With Robert Downey Jr....

https://apple.news/AuYLRLH5RR9OMnxIa1IuLPA

scene: a dark stone chamber with flickering torches and an enormous ornate oak desk. There is an overstuffed chair behind the desk, back turned to the camera. There is scuffling at the door then it opens and Robert Downey Jr, in shackles is hurled through the door. Gasping he struggles to his knees.

"G-god damn you.... I was supposed to be free.... I was supposed to be done with this! Why! Why won't you let me be?"

A heartless chuckle resonates through the chamber causing the torches to gutter and flicker. Then an ominous voice...

"Oh Bobby, Bobby, Bobby.... you can never escape us.... we are.... inevitable...."

The chair turns, revealing Mickey Mouse wearing the Infinity Gauntlet in one hand.

"Do you know what happened to the last person who tried to escape us? Do you...."

He snaps his fingers and a light comes on, illuminating an alcove. There is Harrison Ford, frozen in Carbonite next to a theatrical poster of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Robert Downey Jr shakes, backing away into the corner against the stone. He wails. "No! NO!!! NOOOOO!!!!!!"

Mickey Mouse laughs. "We own it all! We own EVERYTHING!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DISNEY + new IRONHEART series

I fully expected Ironheart in the MCU, but I was sure they'd wait a decade and have it be Stark's daughter. I guess they gotta have a successor to Ironman now they lost Spidey
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I fully expected Ironheart in the MCU, but I was sure they'd wait a decade and have it be Stark's daughter. I guess they gotta have a successor to Ironman now they lost Spidey
    I always feel like there's a danger in super-person legacies being genetic. At some point it starts to lose that message of "anyone can be a hero"(assuming you're at least a super-genius and/or billionaire playboy alien/god /sarcasm?) when the heroes start to more and more be someone-someone Summers or someone-someone Stark or someone-someone Parker.

So far Riri has been an enjoyable character in the comics, with that same kind of Stark-like genius and obsession that really makes you love/hate the character at times.
    Last edited by False God; 2019-09-04 at 04:35 PM.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Crud, Ironhart is easily one of the worst characters Marvel has come up with in decades. I wasn’t really hoping they would just give Shuri a show or something and let Ironheart quietly disappear.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Crud, Ironhart is easily one of the worst characters Marvel has come up with in decades. I wasn’t really hoping they would just give Shuri a show or something and let Ironheart quietly disappear.
    In fairness, I absolutely hated Iron Man until the movies, and Nebula was a non-character. My buddy thought Captain America was boring (though he has always been wrong on that one). The shows made Iron Man likable and gave Nebula got an amazing character arc. And the awesome of Captain America got put on screen.

Which isn’t to say that every adaptation has been great (Skurge, what did they do to you?) but just thinking a comic character is good or bad isn’t really a measure of quality for the MCU, I’ve found.

And as to RDJ, it’s probably just an extended cameo. And I’m sure he’s crying all the way to the bank regardless.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

They're doing a Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk series as well.

Which, well, while I was hoping for a Ms. Marvel movie and I thought Moon Knight would've eventually excelled in the Netflix universe had they had the chance, I think a large-budgeted television series is the only format I could see them doing She-Hulk with her whole Superhero lawyer angle in tact. It's not something they'd dedicate a movie to reasonably speaking, and Netflix would've seen the cost as prohibitive and a more comedy-focused series would have gone against their mature audience branding.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Riri's fun in the way Damien is fun. She's kinda a **** kid who other characters make fun of. Cocky and trying to prove herself over what she needs t o do. Always needing to be taken seriously when she should relax. And that's the character's journey. She also screws up a lot and has to learn a lesson.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    They're doing a Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk series as well.
    Is this Captain Marvel? I can't keep up with half of this stuff.

Also when this does launch can someone tell me if all the MCU films from the first Ironman to Spider-Man Far From Home are on the streaming service? It's about time I write my grand, epic critique of the MCU and I need to marathon all these films.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post

Also when this does launch can someone tell me if all the MCU films from the first Ironman to Spider-Man Far From Home are on the streaming service? It's about time I write my grand, epic critique of the MCU and I need to marathon all these films.
    Wouldn't you derive more enjoyment from pouring sulfuric acid into your eye sockets? Probably cheaper too.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't you derive more enjoyment from pouring sulfuric acid into your eye sockets? Probably cheaper too.
    It can be a little hard to get hold off. And messy.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

New Character introduced in 2013 with over a 100 plus comic apperances since the character has her own series plus team ups and crossovers. Her superhero name is Ms. Marvel but with the rest of the post I will call her Kamala Khan since Carol Danvers goes by both the superhero names of Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel.

Powerset wise Kamala Kahn is a mixture of Mr. Fantastic / Elastic Girl plus Ant-Man / Giant-Man plus Mystique. Kamala Khan is a shapechanger who besides altering her apperances can alter her size, dimensions, and mass. There are some limits to her powerset though about getting hurt and taking time to heal, healing only occurs in main form, running out of juice, electromagnetism such as emt pulses messing up her powers etc.

Her origin is she is a 16 year old Muslim Girl of Pakistani Descent. Her parents are humans but somewhere way back there was some inhuman and due to a big event a terrigen mist bomb was released that mutated a million plus people around the world with inhuman ancestry. Some of those people instantly gained powers with no transformation coccoon but Kamala Khan like most pure blood inhumans formed a coccoon during this transformation. During this transformation Kamala had a dream and saw Iron Man, Captain America, and Ms Marvel [Kamal has a superhero fan thing going on similar to Izuku Midorya / Deku from My Hero Academia]. The voice in the dream asked her what she wanted to be and she said Ms. Marvel and suddenly she was Ms. Marvel in apperance due to the shapechanging powers. Within a few issues she figured out her powers and had crafted her own constume that is similar to a classic Ms. Marvel costume while returning to her old apperance.

The new Kamala Khan character has been well recieved by fans, in comic sales, and critical reception even recieving a Hugo reward for one of the books. She has been called a new Spider-Man like character for a new generation of fans. You know a teen superhero figuring themselves out including teenage issues for younger fans. Also remember Marvel created Miles Morales as a new Spider-Man in 2011 and both he and Kamala have been well recieved.

PS I am not an expert on her character for I have not read the 100 plus things she is in.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Wouldn't you derive more enjoyment from pouring sulfuric acid into your eye sockets?
    Yeah, that would be less painful. But I need to finally get all my thoughts of the MCU off my mind so I can clear up my psyche and never complain about it again ever. This'll be cathartic.

Probably cheaper too.
    I can marathon all 23 films (multiple times even) in the span of one month. Also with most of these streaming service isn't a first free trial month a given? Maybe I'm assuming too much though. This is Disney after all.

13. - Top - End - #13

I guess you don't consider the shows to be part of the MCU then? They're not bingeable, Disney will be releasing them 1 episode at a time at regular intervals like a normal TV show.

Your MCU-related torment will never end.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    New Character introduced in 2013 with over a 100 plus comic apperances since the character has her own series plus team ups and crossovers. Her superhero name is Ms. Marvel but with the rest of the post I will call her Kamala Khan since Carol Danvers goes by both the superhero names of Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel.

*snip*

PS I am not an expert on her character for I have not read the 100 plus things she is in.
    She's also been a big piece of Marvel Animated for a bit, as a walk-on for the Avengers series and a central star for Marvel Rising.

There's also the detail that she's much better written than Muslims have traditionally been in comicdom.

15. - Top - End - #15

I guess you don't consider the shows to be part of the MCU then? They're not bingeable, Disney will be releasing them 1 episode at a time at regular intervals like a normal TV show.
    C=Cinematic. I'm only gonna cover stuff that debuted in the cinema. I don't care about all these shows. My essay may literally be never ending if I go into the shows.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

C=Cinematic. I'm only gonna cover stuff that debuted in the cinema. I don't care about all these shows. My essay may literally be never ending if I go into the shows.
    You don't watch them in Cinema do you?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yeah, that would be less painful. But I need to finally get all my thoughts of the MCU off my mind so I can clear up my psyche and never complain about it again ever. This'll be cathartic.

I can marathon all 23 films (multiple times even) in the span of one month. Also with most of these streaming service isn't a first free trial month a given? Maybe I'm assuming too much though. This is Disney after all.
    Fortunately for us, we won't have to witness your self-flagellation as Disney+ is going to be doing the Netflix thing and only having a few of the Marvel movies up at a time. Launch day will have Captain Marvel (your favorite!), Iron Man, Iron Man 3, and Thor: Dark World. Avengers: Endgame will become available on December 11th. They're gonna add another 8 over the following year, although I'm not sure if they'll rotate like Netflix or if they're just going to slowly expand the library over time to prevent people from doing an HBO style "sign up for a month and then cancel subscription" thing.

The appeal of the channel is looking to be the other stuff they offer - all the Star Wars movies, all of the Pixar movies (minus Toy Story 4), most of Disney's classic library (I'm looking forward to watching The Lion King and Sword in the Stone), and all 30 seasons of the Simpsons.

And of course, all the new series they're making specifically for the channel.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    You don't watch them in Cinema do you?
    No, but at the very least at one point they were in theaters so that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Fortunately for us, we won't have to witness your self-flagellation as Disney+ is going to be doing the Netflix thing and only having a few of the Marvel movies up at a time. Launch day will have Captain Marvel (your favorite!), Iron Man, Iron Man 3, and Thor: Dark World. Avengers: Endgame will become available on December 11th. They're gonna add another 8 over the following year, although I'm not sure if they'll rotate like Netflix or if they're just going to slowly expand the library over time to prevent people from doing an HBO style "sign up for a month and then cancel subscription" thing.
    NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You mean I might actually have to pay to watch them all? The dent on my wallet is going to be astronomical even if I just rent them!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Marvel TV can make her interesting if they learn from...literally every other new diverse character...things that actually work...you know like given the character an actual background and their own situation, family, and friends to play off of (I understand this is Riri's weakness, its basically just her and Ironman characters). Also, I understand they don't bother to ask what it means to be a black teenage girl in the comics and go straight to "her she is look at her go do brilliant stuff and take over as Iron Man!."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    She's also been a big piece of Marvel Animated for a bit, as a walk-on for the Avengers series and a central star for Marvel Rising.

There's also the detail that she's much better written than Muslims have traditionally been in comicdom.
    Kamala Khan is legit awesome and earns the true nerd badge. Saying she's better than the traditional Muslim depiction is such a low bar as to be an insult to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    With Robert Downey Jr....

https://apple.news/AuYLRLH5RR9OMnxIa1IuLPA

*snip*
    Eh, most likely it's a one-off cameo for some kind of origin/intro scene that will explain where the "Iron" in her name comes from. Set sometime between Homecoming and Infinity War would be my guess. Highly doubt a show could afford much more RDJ than that.

Your MCU-related torment will never end.
    Well, technically you CAN binge them - you just have to wait until the end when all the episodes are up
    (And presumably dodge a lot of spoilers online if you care about that kind of thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I always feel like there's a danger in super-person legacies being genetic. At some point it starts to lose that message of "anyone can be a hero"(assuming you're at least a super-genius and/or billionaire playboy alien/god /sarcasm?) when the heroes start to more and more be someone-someone Summers or someone-someone Stark or someone-someone Parker.
    This; while the name recognition is fun and makes it easier to do fakeouts, the core message of heroism in all of us is
    paramount. A healthy mix of both kinds of origin is needed really - I'm a fan of both Miles Morales and Mayday Parker. I definitely think Summers overdid it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Fortunately for us, we won't have to witness your self-flagellation as Disney+ is going to be doing the Netflix thing and only having a few of the Marvel movies up at a time.
    Are you sure? Because now that it appears as though I'm gonna have to pay to rent these films I'm thinking of making a kickstarter. A super cheap kickstarter of less than $100 just to pay for the cost to rent these mind you. Would be making reaction videos of my misery watching these films entice people? I can offer other rewards as well. I'm open to all ideas. Please don't make me spend my own money/

22. - Top - End - #22

There have been successful Kickstarters to buy someone a sandwich. Some people will literally back anything.

That said, you are tapping into a somewhat glutted market. Lots of 'X sucks and here's a 20min video explaining why' on YouTube already.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

There have been successful Kickstarters to buy someone a sandwich. Some people will literally back anything.

That said, you are tapping into a somewhat glutted market. Lots of 'X sucks and here's a 20min video explaining why' on YouTube already.
    From what I see its a matter of how good the kickstarter page is. The projects that are funded make a great case right there on the page, usually with videos or images.

I recall the OOTS kickstarter, the greatest at the time not to promote a video game if I recall, and first in a lot of ways (including one of the first to crack a million). Rich kept doing more and more pages, entertaining in its own right and promising more and more projects as project levels were cracked.

That's how a small five digit kickstarted ended up going to nine digits.

GoFundMe is more of a place for people to get money to do whatever, of course, both are crowded platforms. I don't believe people get this money easily unless they are already known to the public or creative in how they ask.

Asking to buy a cheese sandwich maybe got money when it was really novel with just an image of a cheese sandwich. Now you probably have to promise to video tape eating the cheese sandwich with reward levels for more and more elaborate accompaniments and make a a show of asking for it, followed by the actual show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You mean I might actually have to pay to watch them all? The dent on my wallet is going to be astronomical even if I just rent them!
    But look on the bright side. All that money you'll be spending is going to Disney/Marvel, who will use it to make even more MCU films and shows. MCU all day long, forever. A hundred days. MCU forever 100 times.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    GoFundMe is more of a place for people to get money to do whatever, of course, both are crowded platforms. I don't believe people get this money easily unless they are already known to the public or creative in how they ask.

Asking to buy a cheese sandwich maybe got money when it was really novel with just an image of a cheese sandwich. Now you probably have to promise to video tape eating the cheese sandwich with reward levels for more and more elaborate accompaniments and make a a show of asking for it, followed by the actual show.
    Go on...

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    But look on the bright side. All that money you'll be spending is going to Disney/Marvel, who will use it to make even more MCU films and shows. MCU all day long, forever. A hundred days. MCU forever 100 times.

I know someone with Xfinity and several movies are on there with commercials. So that'll cheapen the burden for me. Seriously though this is ridiculous - Disney has the rights to all these films, but only like five at a time or something are on their streaming channel. The word "cheap" doesn't begin to describe this.

26. - Top - End - #26

Uh... "Astronomical?" Most of the rentals are $3-5 apiece man Just space them out a bit.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Uh... "Astronomical?" Most of the rentals are $3-5 apiece man Just space them out a bit.
    Yeah, and I'm planning on critiquing the first 23 films in the MCU. Do the math.

28. - Top - End - #28

Yeah, and I'm planning on critiquing the first 23 films in the MCU. Do the math.
    I did I can't speak for how much you make - but even if it's like, minimum wage or something, just space them out. You don't have to critique all 23 of them in a single month, and you don't have to upload all your critiques at once either. What's the hurry?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Goblin

Ironheart is great and she is nowhere near the list of worst characters. I always find it funny how people who write whole thesis how horrible she is then go and praise steaming garbage characters like Knull the Symbiote God or Cosmic Ghost Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Marvel TV can make her interesting if they learn from...literally every other new diverse character...things that actually work...you know like given the character an actual background and their own situation, family, and friends to play off of (I understand this is Riri's weakness, its basically just her and Ironman characters). Also, I understand they don't bother to ask what it means to be a black teenage girl in the comics and go straight to "her she is look at her go do brilliant stuff and take over as Iron Man!."
    Riri has everything you complained she doesn't have - her own background, her mother, a best friend to play off, you just didn't do any research before writing the post.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Ironheart is great and she is nowhere near the list of worst characters. I always find it funny how people who write whole thesis how horrible she is then go and praise steaming garbage characters like Knull the Symbiote God or Cosmic Ghost Rider

Riri has everything you complained she doesn't have - her own background, her mother, a best friend to play off, you just didn't do any research before writing the post.
    I agree Riri has her problems and she's not one of my favorites, but pretty much none of what was mentioned applies to her. Though I am a bit annoyed that they seem to be going down the whole having an evil villain as a father route with her.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.