New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

furious OOTS #629 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up. However, we are having some sort of display problem where it isn't showing up in the sidebar. In order to see it, go to #628 and click the Forward button.

We'll try to fix the problem as soon as possible.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: OOTS #629 - The Discussion Thread

Huh, I saw it in my sidebar, but now it's gone!

Fantastic comic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Mama dragon is awesome.

I guess this sort of derails V's plans, doesn't it?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Great comic.

I am now in the V is a male camp after seeing the mate.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Awesome. V has been in dire need of perspective for a loooong time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aw, V's kids are so cute.
    Also, strangely dark-skinned.
    Hmmm............
    Art-type stuffs. Naughtier Art-type stuffs.
    And occasionally-updated fanfics.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    A demi-god indeed.

Prepare the sacrifice! Ninjamuffin must be appeased!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    It's spine-dislocatingly good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    Keep it up you awesome artist of the gods!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Poor V!! I feel so bad for him, really, I do. Poor dude, lets hope he can save his family.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

yuk Re: OOTS #629 - The Discussion Thread

DON'T DO IT RICH! IT'S NOT RIGHT! turn the mate into a hat (that would be hilarious personnally), but not the kids!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, ****. I don't see a way to stop this. V's fresh out of high-level spells with any chance of stopping the Dragon. Even if she wasn't, if the Dragon is strong enough to cast Greater Teleport, it can definitely cast another Antimagic Field, so even if V got Quarr's help teleporting after the Dragon, it would be futile. And she's isolated from any other source of aid, and Quarr himself has even less chance to being able to do something to stop the Dragon than V herself, especially with Antimagic Field in play.

...V's mate and kids...

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is the Milkelf darkskinned?

Boawchikaboawboaw
    "How do I know that you know that my mouth is my own?"
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueWizardGirl

OK, Giant you CAN'T kill the cute little kids. Yes, I feel sorry for the dragon. Yes, I could understand going through a lot of effort to bring her son back.

But, no cute kid killing.

But, why do V's kids have darker skin tone than either of their parents? And, although they have two different hair colors, neither matches V?

I mean, Elven genetics may not match human DNA. Maybe dark skin is a recessive for them instead of the other way around and maybe red hair sometimes darkens to a mature purple . . . but this isn't quite adding up.

It also doesn't quite add up that the dragon made a big mistake and is attacking the wrong family. The feel isn't quite right.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The children could be adopted and V and hir mate are a same sex couple!

GO ELVES!

but V, YOUR AIM SUCKS!
    Last edited by Ninaboo; 2009-02-06 at 01:37 AM.

Much thanks to Serpertine for drawing this!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Lol: "Parent, do you think other parent will return home soon"

Anyway, maybe the children will roll nat 20s on their saves vs soul bind.

it COULD happen =/
    Last edited by Larspcus2; 2009-02-06 at 01:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I love the fact that V's Mate is just has androgynous as V. I thought something like that might happen. Looking forward to seeing how he she it deals with this.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I feel kind of torn on who to root for here...
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

i dont know why you are acting as if V already has kids... if V has... please tell me how u know!
    And i dont know why some of you say Her and some Him... its V for now! :D unless u got the origins of PC... which im about to get!! :D Thanks Rich!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Qarr could easily teleport near V's home. I think demons/imps get teleport infinate. so if Quarr can keep V safe for a couple hours w/ his/her kids then V can prep his spells for the Mamma Dragon, might be a little more fair fight. expecially, if qarr can teleport the kids to the boat w/ the rest of the group. then hunt this dragon down. i think the Stick could beat her down a little bit and keep V's fam safe so they can progress this plot line a little. tell then. . . .

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

That... has to be the most cruel comic ever.

Noooo, Rich! You mustn't!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Things don't look good indeed. This might well be the straw that breaks the camel's back, V's fall into darkness etc.

Maybe(hopefully) his mate is some kind of retired fighter-type, though V's reaction at the end doesn't suggest any kind of hope.

Looks like V's kids are adopted or something, or they play out in the sun a lot.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I would not want to be V right now.

That dragon is going to get so very much payback.

Also "Other Parent" is class.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Wow...Thats....thats dark...ok. Well. Lets see where this goes.

Genius on the ambiguity of Elven translation keeping V's gender in the bag. "Other Parent," cracks me up. Sweet.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lynquesh View Post
    Qarr could easily teleport near V's home. I think demons/imps get teleport infinate. so if Quarr can keep V safe for a couple hours w/ his/her kids then V can prep his spells for the Mamma Dragon, might be a little more fair fight. expecially, if qarr can teleport the kids to the boat w/ the rest of the group. then hunt this dragon down. i think the Stick could beat her down a little bit and keep V's fam safe so they can progress this plot line a little. tell then. . . .
    1. V doesn't have a couple of hours, the Dragon is teleporting directly to the home.

2. Qarr is still under the effects of Dimensional Anchor and is fast healing at the moment (thanks to V)
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

A large made-up percentage of people put made-up percentages, concerning whether or not they do something, in their signatures. If you are one of the smaller made-up percentage, put this in your signature.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaboo View Post
    The children could be adopted and V and hir mate are a same sex couple!
    Or it could just be recessive genes. I like how this was done, we get backstory on V's family and no definite information whatsoever on his/her gender or sexual orientation.

Also...I wonder if V's mate or kids have class levels...

Quote Originally Posted by nosignal View Post
    Maybe(hopefully) his mate is some kind of retired fighter-type, though V's reaction at the end doesn't suggest any kind of hope.
    Do you really expect V to put any stock in the power of warrior classes? Without the Almighty Power of Magic, it would be impossible for any meat shield to defeat a dragon.
    Last edited by Raging Gene Ray; 2009-02-06 at 01:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    Or it could just be recessive genes. I like how this was done, we get backstory on V's family and no definite information whatsoever on his/her gender or sexual orientation.

Also...I wonder if V's mate or kids have class levels...
    I doubt the kids but the mate might be some sort of druid. Based solely on green attire and salad for lunch.
    Last edited by Surprise!; 2009-02-06 at 01:42 AM.
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

25. - Top - End - #25

F*** the BS justifications the b****h just spewed.

F*** her and everything she stands for.

She's off her rocker if she actually believes that garbage coming out of her mouth.

SCRUBBED

'Just because -insert random reason- you think it's okay to kill my loved ones.'

UGH! I don't know if her mate was just playing cards when some adventurers broke down his cave door and saw treasure and dragon and decided to get ride of the dragon. And at this point, I don't care!

I don't know if the order stick ran back inside the darkness thought "(Dragon+Treasure)- Treasure = Us Much Richer" and ran back at him or wether the dragon just broke off their escape rout, and AGAIN I can't bring myself to care! Not anymore!

She's going to murder three people whose only crime (who don't know her and never knew her son) is being genetically related to her son's killer, and falling in love with her son's killer, then VIOLATED THEIR SOULS, and make sure they die the slowest most horrible death she can think of.

Kill the b-tch. Given her the same justice given to the Pharaoh of Egypt with her having declared her own punishment and have her soul bound somewhere so SHE'S the one never to be reunited with her loved ones in the afterlife... Then again that would deny her exactly what she deserves... -justice- for her own actions!!!

Kill her and make sure she stays dead!

When forced to chose between the lives your enemies and your loved ones, there is no choice.

Hopefully V will be able to get a 'only if they live' clause of his/her own inescapable contract with the imp. The possible loss of one soul in exchange for two or three... it's mathematics.

Kill the b-tch. Her species and type didn't make her a monster, her own actions did!

The Voice of Mod: Flames and/or insults based on religion (or lack thereof) are not tolerated on this message board.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

OK, the display problem should be fixed. If you're still not seeing it in your sidebar, force reload the page.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn View Post
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Well Chromatic Dragons are listed as evil. And black dragons are "some of the most evil tempered of the true dragons" (Draconomicon)
    -Mouse Fitzgerald

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I get the impression is that the mismatched skin and hair colours are just to shake things up. The kids could be adopted but they also could simply be a result of weird elf genetics. I mean, from what we've seen so far elves have no 'normal' dominant hair colours or anything - it's everything from light green to blue to purple. It would be consistent.

Soul Bind, eh? Oh gods. I expected something like that. I thought the dragon would just devour them and leave no remains, but now that I think of it, why would she give V a chance of finding a 17th level cleric when she apparently hasn't been able to?

This is really, really terrible. Poor Vaarsuvius. And to miss as a result of his trance deprivation, too... What a horror.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

NOT THE KIDS!!!! Please don't bump the kids! They are so cute and innocent!
    Take nothing for granted, but grant yourself hope that something will happen ~Me

Thanks to BRC for my awesome Halfling avatar. You rock!!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Surprise! View Post
    I doubt the kids but the mate might be some sort of druid. Based solely on green attire and salad for lunch.
    Of course it's pointless to do this sort of speculation (but I'm gonna do it anyway ) it looks like the elf in purple is studying to be a mage (robes) while the other child might be angling to be come a ranger (since it's wearing green).

And the fact that the skin tones in no way match either parent is a nice touch.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-02-06 at 01:48 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb