New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default [3.5] Prestige Class - The Sycophant

Hey it's Skeppio again with another homebrew creation. Today, I'm unveiling a new prestige class, mainly designed with NPC characters in mind, the Sycophant! Critique greatly appreciated!

The Sycophant

Some creatures serve only themselves. The sycophant on the other hand, lives only to serve a powerful being deemed worthy of his devotion. Elder dragons often have sycophants working as ambassadors, negotiating with other beings and gathering valuable information on behalf of the dragon. Sycophants are loyal to their masters and continue to grow more loyal as they toil away at the command of their master.

Requirements
    Alignment - Must be within one step of the master's alignment.
    Skills - Diplomacy 8 ranks, Knowledge (royalty) 8 ranks, Knowledge (local) 4 ranks.
    Spells - Must be able to cast 3rd level arcane or divine spells.
    Feats - Skill Focus (Diplomacy).
    Other - Must swear allegiance to a sentient creature (hereafter referred to as the master) with at least 15 Wisdom and 15 Charisma and more total HD than the sycophant. The master and sycophant must be able to communicate with one another either verbally or telepathically.

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + INT Modifier
    Hit Dice: d8
    Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Craft (all), Disguise, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (all), Listen, Perform (all), Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spot.

Class Features
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells per Day
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Sycophantry +1|-
    |
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Bonus Language|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Sycophantry +3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Unwavering Loyalty|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Sycophantry +5|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Bonus Language|-
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Sycophantry +7|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Share Spells|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Sycophantry +9|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Bonus Language, Protégé|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Weapon and Armour Proficiency - Sycophants gain no proficiency with any weapon or armour.
    Spells per Day - When a new sycophant level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of controlling or rebuking undead, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on), except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a sycophant, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.
    Sycophantry - At 1st level, a sycophant gains a +1 bonus to morale checks against fear effects while within 100ft of his master. He also gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls while within 100ft of his master. These bonuses increase by 2 for every second level taken in the sycophant class after the first.
    Bonus Language - A sycophant can choose any new non-secret language (such as Druidic) at 2nd, 6th and 10th level.
    Unwavering Loyalty - At 4th level, a sycophant becomes immune to mind-altering effects while within 100ft of his master.
    Share Spells - At the master’s option, the Sycophant may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his master. The master must be within 80 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the master if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the master again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the Sycophant may cast a spell with a target of “You” on his master (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself. A Sycophant and his master can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the master’s type.
    Protégé - Once per day, the sycophant can use Shapechange as a spell-like ability. The sycophant can only change into the same creature as his master. The effect lasts 10 minutes x the sycophant's effective caster level, up to a maximum of 200 minutes.

Special Qualities
    If the total HD of the sycophant excedes that of his master, he may not raise his sycophant level until his master advances his HD enough to bring his total HD above that of the sycophant.
    If the sycophant's master dies, he may not raise his sycophant level until his master is resurrected or he chooses a new master.

Roleplaying Ideas
    The sycophant honestly believes his master to be the most powerful creature fathomable. He will often refer to his master as "His/Her Excellency/Majesty/Highness" and will often exaggerate his master's power. His master's ego is likely to expand accordingly. The master and sycophant's relationship grows as time passes, and the master slowly relies more and more on the sycophant. It is common for the two to form deep friendships as time passes.

Ex-Sycophants
    A sycophant who is outcast by his master, or knowingly betrays his master loses all sycophant abilities and can no longer progress any farther in levels as a sycophant. He retains his base attack bonus, save bonuses, bonus languages and spellcasting levels. He regains his abilities and advancement potential if he atones for his actions (see the atonement spell description, Player's Handbook I page 201), as appropriate. The master must willingly accept the sycophant back for the sycophant to regain his sycophant status.
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2010-12-23 at 08:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Prestige Class - The Sycophant

I like it. The table needs to be fixed up, but it's an interesting idea and not one I've seen done before.

I'm rather sleepy right now, so I'll try to come up with some more useful input later.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Neoclassic View Post
    I like it. The table needs to be fixed up, but it's an interesting idea and not one I've seen done before.

I'm rather sleepy right now, so I'll try to come up with some more useful input later.
    I eagerly await your input :)
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2009-08-14 at 05:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

What, you can't be sycophant to a lich or vampire? I suggest changing the requirement to "any sentient creature" (with +15 Wis). And +15 Cha. Uncharismatic creatures shouldn't have sycophants.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2009-08-14 at 06:34 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xavius View Post
    What, you can't be sycophant to a lich or vampire? I suggest changing the requirement to "any sentient creature" (with +15 Wis). And +15 Cha. Uncharismatic creatures shouldn't have sycophants.
    Good point. I've changed it now. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

smile Re: [3.5] Prestige Class - The Sycophant

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    Class Features
    {table=head]_Level_|_BAB_|_Fort_|_Ref_|_Will_|_Special_|_Spells per Day
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Sycophantry +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Bonus Language|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]
    There's some confusion between Reflex and Will saving throws in the table. Also, if Reflex is the good save, why?

I'd probably throw in a 'have to be within one step' alignment clause.

Otherwise, it looks a bit squishy but good for the most part.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-08-14 at 07:53 AM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Have you ever met a Sycophant you'd describe with a 'will of their own'?

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kaihaku View Post
    There's some confusion between Reflex and Will saving throws in the table. Also, if Reflex is the good save, why?

I'd probably throw in a 'have to be within one step' alignment clause.

Otherwise, it looks a bit squishy but good for the most part.
    That was just my mistake with the table. It's fixed now. Will should be his good save.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Have you ever met a Sycophant you'd describe with a 'will of their own'?
    No, but the sycophant is resistant to commands that could turn him against his master, hence the good will save. His master should have little need to exercise mind-control on the sycophant.
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2009-08-14 at 08:03 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

I like it, but Unwavering Loyalty seems pretty weak for a 15th level character to be getting. Understanding its an NPC class, it still only gets half spellcasting, d6 hd, attack bonuses within range of the master (is that really going to be useful?), and poor skills. I'd suggest making the skills per level 6+int, move Unwavering Loyalty to earlier in the class and add more abilities useful to charismancy later in the class.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] Prestige Class - The Sycophant

Hmmm... What about a Share Spells ability as the capstone?

Share Spells: At the master’s option, the Sycophant may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his master. The master must be within 80 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the master if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the master again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the Sycophant may cast a spell with a target of “You” on his master (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself. A Sycophant and his master can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the master’s type.

Or is that too powerful?
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2009-08-14 at 08:54 AM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kaihaku View Post
    Hmmm... What about a Share Spells ability as the capstone?

Share Spells: At the master’s option, the Sycophant may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his master. The master must be within 80 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the master if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the master again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the Sycophant may cast a spell with a target of “You” on his master (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself. A Sycophant and his master can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the master’s type.

Or is that too powerful?
    I love it!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

It would help to format the abilities and stuff with bold, give them some spacing too.

Looks good, though; would make a great minion for any BBEG. :D

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    It would help to format the abilities and stuff with bold, give them some spacing too.

Looks good, though; would make a great minion for any BBEG. :D
    Thanks, I got the inspiration from this video:
    Interview With a Red Dragon
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2009-08-14 at 09:29 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I've been following this from the start and I must say, it's looking really good. I can't wait to fight a Sycophant in one of our games
    Brother of Skeppio. He sigged me, so I'll sig him
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Not everything in the comic has a hidden meaning.
    Skeppio on FATAL:
    It's all kinds of wrong and no kinds of right.