New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default I'm a Doctor, not a Priest (Base Class, PEACH)

Doctor

Stop whining, I've seen worse, now hold still and let me work.
    The Doctor is, above all else, a Healer. However, unlike the Cleric, who heals by shoving positive energy into the patient haphazardly, a Doctor uses very carefully applied magic and medical knowledge. Many consider the Doctor a pushover in combat, this is a mistake. A team with a good Doctor can keep fighting long after they should have fallen, and Doctors themselves have a few nasty tricks they can use in battle.
    (It should be noted that this class is partially intended for a western-style setting I’m thinking up that doesn’t have clerics, but it might be able to function in a game with Clerics).
    Hit Die: D8
    Skills: (6+Int)x4 at first level. 6+int at every level after first.
    The Doctor’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
    The Doctor
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Stem Wounds, Surgery.

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Treatment

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Mobility

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Surgical Precision

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Do no Harm

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Preventative Medicine

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Diagnosis

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Heal Thyself

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Master Surgeon

11th|
    +8/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Immunization

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Malpractice

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Placebo Effect

14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |Second Opinion
    15th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    | Emergency Care
    16th|
    +12/+7+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Don’t Fear the Reaper

17th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Experimental Procedure

18th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    | Speedy Medicine

19th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Class Ability

20th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Cure for all Ails[/table]
    Class Features
    Proficiency: Light Armor, Simple weapons and light martial weapons.
    Stem Wounds: At first level the Doctor gains to ability to quickly patch up his allies. As a standard action a Doctor may make a Heal check and grant temporary hit points equal to the result. These last a number of minutes equal to the Doctor’s class level. You cannot take 10 on this check. These temporary hit points cannot raise the target's HP above their normal maximum.
    Surgery: At first level a doctor gains the ability to, through a combination of magic and medicine, treat injuries. The Doctor makes a Heal check and cures (Result x2) points of damage. This takes half an hour. You cannot use this ability on any individual more than once a day. You cannot take 10 on this check.
    Treatment: At second level the Doctor gains the ability to cure ailments with a successful heal check. A Treatment takes half an hour and simulates a spell. See the Treatment list for more information. Once a treatment has been tried on a given target, the doctor cannot attempt that treatment on that individual again for the rest of the day.
    Mobility: At third level a Doctor gains Mobility as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
    Surgical Precision: At fourth level a Doctor wielding a light weapon may use their knowledge of anatomy to increase the power of their strikes, adding their wisdom bonus to damage with light weapons. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the extra damage from Surgical Precision.
    Do No Harm: At fifth level a Doctor may gain the benefits of a Sanctuary spell (as if they had cast it) 3/day.
    Preventative Medicine: At sixth level a Doctor’s regular treatments make his allies healthier and more powerful. A Doctor may spend 10 minutes a day treating somebody, if these treatments continue for three days that person gains additional hit points equal to the doctor’s class level +wisdom modifier. These hit points go away if the doctor cannot treat the person.
    Diagnosis: At eighth level a Doctor gains the ability to quickly gauge the health of their allies. They gain Status at will as a spell like ability.
    Heal Thyself: At ninth level a doctor learns to bind their own wounds as they treat a patient. Anytime a doctor uses an ability on somebody else, they may also have it affect themselves.
    Master Surgeon: At tenth level a Doctor adds their class level as a competence bonus on Heal Checks for the purpose of Surgery.
    Immunization: At Eleventh level a doctor adds one half their class level as a bonus on fortitude saves to resist disease and poison.
    Malpractice: At 12th level a Doctor may make a special melee attack as a full round action three times a day. If this attack hits, any healing the target would receive for 1d6+1 rounds instead deals that much damage. This includes healing from Regeneration or Fast Healing.
    Placebo Effect: At 13th level, even if a doctor fails a treatment his patient may recover. If a Doctor fails a treatment that removes a status effect, the patient receives a new saving throw to resist the effect.
    Second Opinion: At 14th level a Doctor gains the ability to attempt Surgery or a Treatment on a given individual twice a day.
    Emergency Care: At 15th level a Doctor adds his Class level to his Heal check when using Stem Wounds on an ally with less than 0 hit points.
    Don’t fear the Reaper: At 16th level a Doctor is treated as being permanently under the effects of a Death Ward spell.
    Experimental Procedure:
    At 17th level a Doctor may use untried techniques to increase the effectiveness of his treatments, at a greater risk. When a Doctor uses a treatment he may add a +5 bonus to his heal check. However, if the treatment fails, the patient takes 1d6+2 damage to a random ability score.
    Speedy medicine: At 18th level a Doctor’s surgeries and treatments only take 10 minutes.
    Cure for all Ails
    : At 20th level a Doctor has reached the pinnacle of medical perfection. Once a day, as a full round action, he may completely cure an individual. The individual is restored to full hit points, any ability damage or drain is restored, and any status ailments (Disease, Paralysis, Poison, Blindness, Deafness, Petrifaction, ect) are removed.
    Treatments
    Spoiler
    Show

Purify Food/Drink: DC 10. Requires 2nd level.
    Restoration Lesser: DC 15, Requires 3rd level.
    Remove Paralysis: DC 15, Requires 3rd level.
    Remove Curse: DC 20, requires 5th level
    Remove Blindness/Deafness, DC 20, 5th level
    Remove Disease: DC 20, requires 5th level
    Neutralize Poison: DC 25, 7th level
    Restoration: DC 25, 7th level
    Raise Dead: DC 28, 9th level. Requires 5000gp in specialized medicines.
    Regeneration: DC 32, 12th level
    Resurrection: DC 32, 12th level 10000 GP in specialized medicines.
    True Resurrection: DC 40, 16th Level, 25000 GP In specialized medicines.

Homebrewers note: I want to give them the ability to cast some spells (Owls Wisdom, Cat’s Grace, Bulls Strength, Eagles Splendor, Fox’s Cunning, Bear’s Endurance, Poison, Bestow Curse, Contagion, and maybe some others). The list isn’t long enough for them to have casting proper, but I would like them to have these abilities somehow. Also, there are a decent amount of dead levels after 10th that I wouldn't mind filling.

Note 2: I know the Treatment DC's seem high, but I calculated them, for the most part, so that a Doctor of the level they gain access to the treatment with max ranks in heal (As they should have) and masterwork tools would succeed on a 10. Throw in Wisdom modifiers and other bonus they could acquire, and most of those DC's are easily reachable. The big exception to this is True Resurrection, but that's equally intentional. True Rezing somebody shouldn't be easy.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-05-28 at 10:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I'm a Doctor, not a Priest (Base Class, PEACH)

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a cleric!"

Nice HB. I don't play 3.5 anymore, but this looks good. Balanced. As far as the partial casting goes, you could give them as SLA's at various levels. Like the rogue's special abilities at 10th and higher levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ooh, how about this to fill that emptiness at level 7
    Heal or Harm: Four times a day a Doctor may either increase or decrease any ability score by 4. If used on a willing target, this merely requires the Doctor to be within melee range, if the target is unwilling, the doctor must succeed on a melee attack (as if wielding a light weapon), and the opponent gets a fort save (DC 14+Doctor's Wisdom modifier) to resist the effect. This lasts a number of minutes equal to the Doctor's class level.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe that you have a typo. You list treat wounds in the table, but describe stem wounds.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Much more simple then my surgery system.

I'm not good with balance, but it looks fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Yes! Now we can stat out Black Jack! (Cohort Pinoko?)

Now that I have that bit of nerdery out of the way, I like this class a lot. I've been working out some new ideas for the Heal skill, and this is right up my ally. These might be relevant to your interests as well.

Heal now has several subcategories, Heal (Medicine), Heal (Surgery), and Heal (Mental)(which I can get into later).

Heal (Medicine): (Wis)
    You are trained in medical procedures and treatment. This skill can be used to help others recover from wounds, keep others from dying, or to treat poison and disease.
    Check: Probably the same as in the PH
    Action: Probably the same as in the PH
    Try Again: Probably the same as in the PH, I'll definitely impose Critical Failure results (Malpractice!)

Heal (Surgery): (Wis; Armor Check Penalty; Trained Only)
    You can preform surgical operations. The operation requires at least a few appropriate simple tools (knife, needle, thread, and such). Attempting a Heal (Surgery) check without a proper surgery kit imposes a -2 circumstance penalty, even if simple tools are employed. If you use a masterwork surgery kit, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus on the check.
    Check: Still working on it, but your DCs might be a good start.
    Action: Again, I'm still working on it, but your idea is a good starting point.
    Special: You apply your Dexterity mod to Heal (Surgery) checks in addition to Wisdom, even though it is technically a Wisdom-based skill.
    Untrained: Surgery cannot be preformed untrained.

Skill Synergy:
    Having 5 ranks in Heal (Medicine) provides a +2 skill synergy bonus to Heal (Surgery), and vice-versa.

Lastly, do you mind if I borrow and modify this class for my Breakdown setting?
    Keep 3.5 alive!
    Creepy psychics, shark dogs, and whatever else I feel like drawing.
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy Homebrew Setting: Breakdown

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Surgical precision is currently written so that creatures immune to crits can't use it. I take it this was not your intent? Maybe that it can't be used on creatures immune to crits?
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by TabletopNuke View Post
    Yes! Now we can stat out Black Jack! (Cohort Pinoko?)

Now that I have that bit of nerdery out of the way, I like this class a lot. I've been working out some new ideas for the Heal skill, and this is right up my ally. These might be relevant to your interests as well.

Heal now has several subcategories, Heal (Medicine), Heal (Surgery), and Heal (Mental)(which I can get into later).

Heal (Medicine): (Wis)
    You are trained in medical procedures and treatment. This skill can be used to help others recover from wounds, keep others from dying, or to treat poison and disease.
    Check: Probably the same as in the PH
    Action: Probably the same as in the PH
    Try Again: Probably the same as in the PH, I'll definitely impose Critical Failure results (Malpractice!)

Heal (Surgery): (Wis; Armor Check Penalty; Trained Only)
    You can preform surgical operations. The operation requires at least a few appropriate simple tools (knife, needle, thread, and such). Attempting a Heal (Surgery) check without a proper surgery kit imposes a -2 circumstance penalty, even if simple tools are employed. If you use a masterwork surgery kit, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus on the check.
    Check: Still working on it, but your DCs might be a good start.
    Action: Again, I'm still working on it, but your idea is a good starting point.
    Special: You apply your Dexterity mod to Heal (Surgery) checks in addition to Wisdom, even though it is technically a Wisdom-based skill.
    Untrained: Surgery cannot be preformed untrained.

Skill Synergy:
    Having 5 ranks in Heal (Medicine) provides a +2 skill synergy bonus to Heal (Surgery), and vice-versa.

Lastly, do you mind if I borrow and modify this class for my Breakdown setting?
    Feel free to borrow and modify, though I would like it if you credited me and linked back here.
    As for your heal system, no offense, but currently all you have is "There are two different subsets of the heal skill", so I can't really form an opinion on it.

Frogdragon: Thanks, that is fixed. Zombie Doctors the world over rejoice, Zombie Fighting doctors shed a tiny tiny tear.
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    As for your heal system, no offense, but currently all you have is "There are two different subsets of the heal skill", so I can't really form an opinion on it.
    Sure you can. What do you think about splitting the Heal skill into subcategories, and the Dexterity and Armor influence on surgery? I thought they made more sense (Heh, surgical scrubs over full plate armor), but I don't know if that will mess with the balance. My intention is that boosting the usability of the Heal subskills will help counter the split.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Er, shouldn't he have Heal as a class skill?

It's cool, though. I like the concept.
    Last edited by Sir Sanguine; 2009-12-07 at 05:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sanguine View Post
    Er, shouldn't he have Heal as a class skill?

It's cool, though. I like the concept.
    Woah, nice catch. I grabbed the Rogue skill list and chopped some stuff off, I forgot to make sure it included the one skill the class is almost entierly based around.
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I quite honestly came into the thread thinking "Wow, a new base class! I should give some constructive and insightful criticism. Actually, coming up with some constructive and insightful criticism sounds hard. I hope he forgot Heal from the skill list or something, so I can appear intelligent."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sanguine View Post
    I quite honestly came into the thread thinking "Wow, a new base class! I should give some constructive and insightful criticism. Actually, coming up with some constructive and insightful criticism sounds hard. I hope he forgot Heal from the skill list or something, so I can appear intelligent."
    I am looking for a good way to incorporate those spells into the class.
    edit: @ tabletopnuke
    I like the idea, but I don't think it would synergize well with this class, which already splits Heal into two uses (First Aid for Stem Wounds, and Surgery for...well...Surgery).

That said, while I agree with the Armor check penalty (It's hard to clamp an artery while wearing gauntlets) I don't agree with the Dex bonus. Dexterity does include fine motor skills, which should be essential, but somebody whose just really fast shouldn't be anywhere near as good a surgeon as somebody whose really smart.

If you want to include the Dex bonus, I would cap it at +2.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-12-07 at 06:07 PM.
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

That said, while I agree with the Armor check penalty (It's hard to clamp an artery while wearing gauntlets) I don't agree with the Dex bonus. Dexterity does include fine motor skills, which should be essential, but somebody whose just really fast shouldn't be anywhere near as good a surgeon as somebody whose really smart.

If you want to include the Dex bonus, I would cap it at +2.
    I wasn't thinking speed so much as manual Dexterity. Have you ever tried dissecting something? If your hands aren't rock-steady, it's really hard!

Is there any reason you picked +2, or is it just an arbitrary number? What about only applying a Dex mod penalty, and maybe offering a feat that allowed one to add their Dex bonus as well?
    Keep 3.5 alive!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I wasn't thinking speed so much as manual Dexterity. Have you ever tried dissecting something? If your hands aren't rock-steady, it's really hard!

Is there any reason you picked +2, or is it just an arbitrary number? What about only applying a Dex mod penalty, and maybe offering a feat that allowed one to add their Dex bonus as well?
    That's what I was talking about when I meant fine motor skills. The thing is, in DnD, there is no differentiation between excellent manual dexterity (Open Lock), hand-eye coordination (Ranged attacks), sneakiness (Hide and Move Silently) and reflexes (dodge bonus to AC, initiative checks, Reflex saves).
    I Picked +2 because it's a good minor bonus. Enough to acknowledge that yes, this person's dexterity is helping them, but not enough to turn an Acrobat (Tumble focused, and therefore with High dex) into an expert surgeon.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-12-07 at 06:31 PM.
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

That's what I was talking about when I meant fine motor skills. The thing is, in DnD, there is no differentiation between excellent manual dexterity (Open Lock), hand-eye coordination (Ranged attacks), sneakiness (Hide and Move Silently) and reflexes (dodge bonus to AC, initiative checks, Reflex saves).
    That's something that's bothered me about the D&D ever since I first started playing (I have excellent manual dexterity and a mild gross motor impairment). I'd like to split Dexterity into 2 stats; Agility (Gross Motor) and Dexterity (Fine Motor), but there's tons of balance issues with that. I get the feeling that Agility would become a little more of a second fiddle, and Dexterity would become a dump stat, due to it's limited use (Skills, and more skills).

I Picked +2 because it's a good minor bonus. Enough to acknowledge that yes, this person's dexterity is helping them, but not enough to turn an Acrobat (Tumble focused, and therefore with High dex) into an expert surgeon.
    What about applying 1/2 Dex bonus? Then someone very agile would still only have a marginal advantage. That's a +1 bonus for every 4 points of Dex.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Is a target that is under the effects of Malpractice aware of those effects? It could be a very important distinction.

Edit: Overall power level seems pretty low, but adding in those extra SLA's you talked about will help that some, and in a low-power game I can definitely see playing one of these...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-12-07 at 09:11 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Is a target that is under the effects of Malpractice aware of those effects? It could be a very important distinction.
    Now we need to stat a lawyer.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kiren View Post
    Now we need to stat a lawyer.

A PrC for Experts that requires Evil alignment?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    A PrC for Experts that requires Evil alignment?
    Or a Phoenix Wright-style PC class.
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fighter: Dammit, how are we supposed to beat this guy if he keeps getting healed?
    Doctor: Don't worry, I've got this covered. I'll use Malpractice *roll* A Hit! *roll* 5 rounds, let's do this thing.
    Fighter: Nice Work , lets's do this.
    DM: Okay Doc, you use your magical and medical skills to injure him in such away as to reverse and healing he would receive. May I see your character sheet?
    Doctor: Okay...
    DM: Hrmm, you don't have a legal counsel listed?
    Doctor: What are you talking about?
    DM: The Evil Cultist sues you for medical malpractice, he's willing to settle for 10,000 GP, do you want to try your luck in court?
    Doctor: What? He's trying to bring about the Apocolypse, he dosn't get to sue! What the hell-
    Wizard: Don't worry, I got this handled. I cast Summon Legal Council IV.
    Bard: I'll use Media Sympathy!
    DM: *Makes some rolls* Alright, the bard spins you to the public as a well-intentioned doctor who made a mistake anybody could have made, and was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Cultist is spun as a selfish gold digger who should really shut up. This Pre-Biases the Jury in your favor. Your expert lawyer does the rest. Congratulations, you won this trial, but the charges stand. Roll to keep your medical license.
    Docter:-Just happened.
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #22

Do you mind if I use this class (and modify a bit), giving you credit, of course?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Cute_Riolu View Post
    Do you mind if I use this class (and modify a bit), giving you credit, of course?
    Go right ahead. In fact, would you mind posting your modified version here? I might get some ideas from it.
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #24

Oh, it probably won't be much... just some skills. But then again, I might try some anyway. :P

Edit: Quick modification on skills.

Skills: (6+Int)x4 at first level. 6+int at every level after first.
    The Doctor’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Handle Animal (Cha) Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex)

Reasoning for changes: Removed several out of place ones like Open Lock, Disable Device, and Search, added a few appropriate ones such as Survival (goes well with the healer thing), and Handle Animal (animals need healing, too!). A few I left alone: Decipher script, because you need that to understand medical texts. Social skills, because doctors tend to be fairly personable, if only from the experience in telling people that their loved ones died. Use Rope: Sutures. I was thinking of changing it to 4+int. Would still give them room for skills, but wouldn't make them bards.
    Last edited by Cute_Riolu; 2009-12-08 at 05:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Have you considered adding Knowledge (Nature)? That skill is used for knowledge of animals and plants (biology and healing herbs?).

I'm unsure whether 4 or 6 skill points would be better. On one hand, I don;t think it would overshadow the bard (rangers have 6 skill points, after all), and doctors are supposed to study a lot. But on the other hand, healing with no cap other than skill results is a useful ability, and doctors study healing more than other skills.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Perhaps Surgery allows a Synergy from Sleight of Hand, or certain Surgery skill check requires Sleight of Hand instead of Heal?

I'm reminded a little bit of the Dragoon/Jump min-max, where the entire class was based around one skill, and with the right combination of feats and bonuses, the class just broke into pieces.

Also, the focus of the class is healing - what does he do the rest of the time? I mean, part of the Cleric's domain is a secondary melee and primary caster. This guy heals each character once (or twice) per day, and he's done. A 10 battle dungeon crawl would turn into a week long event. I had a cleric who mastered memorizing rooms to teleport, just to avoid a one-battle kill (think teleport out, heal up, buy supplies, and reset).

I think a little more focus on his other abilities - if he could be a buffing spellcaster, that could help a lot. I mean, a ranger-like spell list with abjuration and transmutation could do well. Maybe he could get a few new exotic high-precision weapons.

Maybe surgical precision could be more like the sneak attack, or cause selective temporary physical ability damage (until healed). Ooh, I like that, he can select a major artery, and do CON damage, or a certain muscle to do STR damage, or a tendon to do DEX. Starts at 1d6, increase by +1d6 every 3 or 4 levels.

Good class features grow and repeat, I mean, look at some of the core classes. For the good ones (I am being opinionated - don't slaughter me for it), there is one Big ability that everyone remembers, and other things that support.
    Barbarian - Rage, more rage, better Rage. Easy to remember, easy to do.
    Bard - lots of stuff - I learned most of it because I played one to level 15 or so, but I would forget options all the time, or would have to look up something or other. Spells were the easy part.
    Cleric - armor, weapons, spells, especially Cure X wounds.
    Druid - Wildshape and animal companion. The rest is just sidelines and better wildshaping.
    Fighter - Feats
    Monk - I never remember half the crap they get - unarmed strike is nice, but it's one low level feat. After that, it's like someone just made stuff up.
    Paladin - Gotta be LG. Then it's Detect and Smite Evil.
    Rogue - Skill monkey, Sneak Attack and Evasion.
    Ranger - Duel Weapon/Archery and Track. Then there's a ton of other stuff that players who like rangers know, and Optimizers love, but no one else knows what they get at higher level.
    Sorcerer - on-the-fly spellcasting
    Wizard - prep / specialized casting

Your Doctor is cool, but to really sell it, you need an overarching Special (not the heal skill). Also, you don't want it to be "roll and done". The player will be bored to tears, and wish he was something else (better at something).

Ok, so I guess I've filled up a lot on this....take it or leave it.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFortyTwo View Post
    Maybe surgical precision could be more like the sneak attack, or cause selective temporary physical ability damage (until healed). Ooh, I like that, he can select a major artery, and do CON damage, or a certain muscle to do STR damage, or a tendon to do DEX. Starts at 1d6, increase by +1d6 every 3 or 4 levels.
    Ooh, I like this idea a lot! It's certainly a popular concept. Complete Scoundrel has Ambush Feats, which allow the user to sacrifice sneak attack damage to inflict other effects, such as speed penalties and ability damage. My suggestion is using the rogue class as a starting point, replacing a few sneak attack increases with bonus ambush feats, and substituting trapfinding and the lot with the doctor class features you came up with.

Dang, this is starting to sound pretty good! I might just make one of these of my own, tailored to my Breakdown setting.
    Keep 3.5 alive!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

yuk Re: I'm a Doctor, not a Priest (Base Class, PEACH)

Ooh, I like this idea a lot! It's certainly a popular concept. Complete Scoundrel has Ambush Feats, which allow the user to sacrifice sneak attack damage to inflict other effects, such as speed penalties and ability damage. My suggestion is using the rogue class as a starting point, replacing a few sneak attack increases with bonus ambush feats, and substituting trapfinding and the lot with the doctor class features you came up with.

Dang, this is starting to sound pretty good! I might just make one of these of my own, tailored to my Breakdown setting.
    Maybe combining it with debuffing.

Kind of like with Ambush feats, the Doctor can trade their Sneak Attack dice for a variety of debuffs. This is a rough idea of the system in question:

Sense Impediment: The Doctor may trade 3d6 sneak attack to focus his strikes on the nervous system. The target must make a fort save vs DC 10+doctors Wis Modifier+number of remaining sneak attack die or become Blind or Deafened.
    Immune Suppresion: The Doctor may trade 4d6 sneak attack to hamper the target's immune system. The target must make a fort save vs DC 10+doctor's wisdom modifier+number of remaining Sneak attack die or be affected as by the Contagion spell.
    Improvised Anesthesia: The Doctor may trade 3d6 Sneak attack dice to knock out a target. The target must make a fort save vs DC 10+doctors wisdom modifier+number of remaining sneak attack die or fall asleep.
    Muscular Disruption: The Doctor may trade 2d6 sneak attack dice to hit a target in such a way as to disrupt their movement. The target must make a Fort save vs DC 10+doctor's wisdom modifier+Number of remaining sneak attack dice or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds.
    Assisted Homicide: The Doctor may trade 7d6 sneak attack dice to strike the target in such a way as to stop their heart. The target must make a fortitude save vs DC 10+Doctor's wisdom modifier+number of remaining sneak attack dice or die.

edit: I like this because, as opposed to standard spell saves, the more powerful techniques are actually easier to resist than the less powerful ones.

Edit: Doctor Feats

Heal the Sick
    Requirement: Doctor Level 6th, Heal 8 ranks.
    Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus to heal checks on treatments and surgeries.

Sicken the Healthy
    Requirement: Doctor level 6th, Heal 8 ranks
    Add +2 to your save DC's.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-12-09 at 10:30 AM.
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Maybe combining it with debuffing.

edit: I like this because, as opposed to standard spell saves, the more powerful techniques are actually easier to resist than the less powerful ones.
    I think that's actually a detriment. A player doesn't want to get a new ability (maybe the Stop Heart right after they got 8d6 sneak attack.) And their save DC is pitiful, which means it rarely works (especially against the type of creatures they are battling.

I think maybe have moderate save dcs (something a character with a "high save" would likely pass, but a "low save" would have a 50-75% of failing), but have different options for different saves (via type of attack).

I think maybe the doctor should have some buff type things they can use, too. You know, administer certain things to give characters certain well-known benefits / spell effects (diehard, endure/resist elements, etc).

They could even use the cleric spell list, limited to certain schools/targets, with a set Heal check DC based on spell level. That could also replace the "healing" and "raise dead" abilities, since they would be able to do that just like the spell. Maybe a failed roll by more than 5 means you can't treat that person again that day.

I'm just throwing some ideas out. Perhaps the OP would like to write a revision?
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFortyTwo View Post
    I think that's actually a detriment. A player doesn't want to get a new ability (maybe the Stop Heart right after they got 8d6 sneak attack.) And their save DC is pitiful, which means it rarely works (especially against the type of creatures they are battling.

I think maybe have moderate save dcs (something a character with a "high save" would likely pass, but a "low save" would have a 50-75% of failing), but have different options for different saves (via type of attack).

I think maybe the doctor should have some buff type things they can use, too. You know, administer certain things to give characters certain well-known benefits / spell effects (diehard, endure/resist elements, etc).

They could even use the cleric spell list, limited to certain schools/targets, with a set Heal check DC based on spell level. That could also replace the "healing" and "raise dead" abilities, since they would be able to do that just like the spell. Maybe a failed roll by more than 5 means you can't treat that person again that day.

I'm just throwing some ideas out. Perhaps the OP would like to write a revision?
    I'm definetally going to rework the class, it's a work in progress.

I'm considering giving them an ability called Nutrient Boost (simulates the +4 to ability score system of spell, but maybe better).

Maybe something like this
    Performance Enhancement: The Doctor may prepare a number of performance enhancements per day equal to their Wisdom modifier. Using a Performance Enhancement is a standard action. 2 preparations may be expended to prepare the advanced version of the enhancement.

Roids: +4 to Strength. Lasts 1 minute per Doctor level
    Roid Rage: +4 to Strength, plus Target Rages as a barbarian. The target may make a DC 17 will save to avoid the second part of this affect or end the rage early.
    Adrenaline Boost: +4 to dexterity, lasts 1 minute per Doctor level.
    Adrenaline Surge: +4 to dexterity plus Haste (as the spell). The Hast effect lasts 1 round per doctor level.
    Immune Booster: +4 to constitution, lasts 1 minute per doctor level.
    Trolls Blood Boost: +4 to constitution, gains fast heal 4, lasts 1 minute per doctor level.
    Brain Food: +4 to intelligence, lasts 1 minute per doctor level.
    Brain Surge: +4 to intelligence, target may add their intelligence bonus to an skill check for 1 minute/level.
    (idea needed): +4 to wisdom.
    (name needed): +4 to wisdom, target may end the effect early to dispel any Compulsion effects on them at the time.
    Cosmetic Enhancement: +4 to Charisma
    (idea needed): (Idea needed)

Alright Chris. How would you set the DC's for the abilities I listed above (This isn't a snappy "Well let's see you do better" but a "I want to know what you think I should do").
    [/Center]