New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Guns are for sissies. Danmaku is for real men! [3.5 PrC & Feat]

Just a little idea I had.

Bullet Hellbringer

Fujiwara No Mokou, Bullet Hellbringer

Some warlocks follow a path that most encompasses their demonic heritage. Some dabble in arcane or divine magic as well, following the path of versatility. Bullet Hellbringers specialize in one thing: Destruction. They use their Eldritch Blasts in quick succession, coating the battlefield with their destructive orbs of energy.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
    Skills: Concentration 4 ranks, Spot 8 ranks.
    Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency(any firearm), Eldritch Blade.
    Maneuvers: Must know two Black Rain maneuvers.
    Special: Eldritch Blast 2d6.

Eldritch Blade [General]
    Req: Eldritch blast class feature, battle aptitude, ability to use 1st level maneuvers.
    Benefit: Warlock and Warblade levels stack for the purposes of both Eldritch Blast damage, and Battle Aptitude specials. Warlock levels count as 3/4th of initiator level as opposed to 1/2.

The Bullet Hellbringer
    Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge(arcana), Knowledge(the planes), Knowledge(religion), Martial Lore, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device.
    Skill-points per level: 4+Int mod
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Bullet Hell Stance, Eldritch Blast|+1 level of existing invocation-using class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Augmented Blast (19-20)|--

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Bullet Screen|+1 level of existing invocation-using class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Augmented Blast (x3)|--

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Bullet Hell Master|+1 level of existing invocation-using class[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
    1st|1|0|0
    2nd|0|0|1
    3rd|1|0|0
    4th|0|1|0
    5th|1|0|0[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: Bullet Hellbringers gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At levels 1st, 3rd, and 5th a Bullet Hellbringer gains new maneuvers known from the Black Rain discipline. They must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. They add their full Bullet Hellbringer levels to their initiator level to determine their total initiator level and their highest-level maneuvers known.
    At 4th level, they gain a new maneuver readied per day.

Stances Known: At 2nd level the Bullet Hellbringer learns a new martial stance from the Black Rain discipline. They must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Invocations: At each odd-numbered level, the Bullet Hellbringer gains new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if they had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which they belonged before adding the prestige class level. They do not, however, gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained, including eldritch blast(see below). If they had more than one invocation-using class before becoming a Bullet Hellbringer, they must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level and invocations known.

Bullet Hell Stance (Su)
    The cornerstone of the Bullet Hellbringer's abilities, this stance allows them to rapidly fire Eldritch Blasts. As a swift action, the Bullet Hellbringer may lose the benefits of any other stance they're in to gain the benefits of this stance. While in this stance, a Bullet Hellbringer may use their Eldritch Blasts as an attack action; as such, they may use them in a full attack action. However, to use it more than once in a full attack action, the Bullet Hellbringer subtracts a number of die to each blast's power equal to the number of blasts past the first (-1 for two attacks, -2 for three, -3 for four). If the Bullet Hellbringer possesses the Two Weapon Fighting feat (or subsequent feats), they may subtract additional dice to make Eldritch Blasts as if they were attacking with two weapons; Eldritch Blasts count as light weapons for this purpose. The Bullet Hellbringer always deals at least 1d6 damage with their Eldritch Blasts.
    When using a gun with this stance, the Bullet Hellbringer may choose to shoot the blast through their gun, adding the gun's enhancement bonus to the blast.
    The Bullet Hellbringer may not use Blast Shape invocations in this stance, however, they may still apply Eldritch Essence invocations; they may only use one per round, and it applies to all Eldritch Blast attacks made.
    At 5th level in this class, the Bullet Hellbringer may apply a Blast shape to a single Eldritch Blast attack made in a round.

Eldritch Blast: Warlock levels and Bullet Hellbringer levels stack when determining the strength and power of their eldritch blast, despite their actual invoker level increase. In addition, Eldritch Blasts may be used in Black Rain maneuvers, and count as Black Rain favored weapons for Bullet Hellbringers.

Augmented Blast (Su)
    At 2nd level, a Bullet Hellbringer learns to more effectively use their Eldritch Blasts to destructive effect, aiming for vital points. Their natural threat range for a critical hit increases to 19-20. This stacks with the effect of the Improved Critical feat.
    At 4th level, the Bullet Hellbringer inflicts triple damage on a successful Eldritch Blast critical hit.

Bullet Screen (Su)
    At 3rd level, the Bullet Hellbringer can fire a furious barrage of Eldritch Blasts, blanketing an area with destruction. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: it must be readied and expended normally. As a full round action, a Bullet Hellbringer can make a full attack, however, all opponents in a 30-foot cone are targeted. Each attack roll that the Bullet Hellbringer makes applies to all creatures in this range (they may exclude allies). However, to make additional attacks from high BAB, the Bullet Hellbringer must subtract 2 die from all Eldritch Blast damage rolls as opposed to 1.
    This is considered a 5th-level strike.

Bullet Hell Master (Ex)
    At 5th level, a Bullet Hellbringer is a natural at bringing death with their Eldritch Blast barrages. They gain a number of benefits:
    • An additional 1d6 damage to their Eldritch Blast damage.
    • A +4 to Caster Checks against Spell Resistance when making Eldritch Blast attacks (this stacks with Spell Penetration).
    • A +2 to attack rolls with Eldritch Blasts, and a +4 bonus to confirming critical hits with Eldritch Blasts.
    • The Bullet Hellbringer may use two stances at one time, as long as one of them is their Bullet Hell Stance.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2010-05-13 at 04:17 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Guns are for sissies. Danmaku is for real men! [3.5 PrC]

This is pretty nice. One thing I might suggest though is letting Eldritch blasts be used with Black Rain maneuvers. As it is, this class tries to do two things at once (blasts and guns) which rarely turns out good.

Go Tigers!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Guns are for sissies. Danmaku is for real men! [3.5 PrC]

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    This is pretty nice. One thing I might suggest though is letting Eldritch blasts be used with Black Rain maneuvers. As it is, this class tries to do two things at once (blasts and guns) which rarely turns out good.
    They do, in Bullet Hell stance.

Bullet Hell Stance (Su)
    The cornerstone of the Bullet Hellbringer's abilities, this stance allows them to rapidly fire Eldritch Blasts. As a swift action, the Bullet Hellbringer may lose the benefits of any other stance they're in to gain the benefits of this stance. While in this stance, a Bullet Hellbringer may use their Eldritch Blasts as an attack action; as such, they may use them in a full attack action. However, to use it more than once in a full attack action, the Bullet Hellbringer subtracts a number of die to each blast's power equal to the number of blasts past the first (-1 for two attacks, -2 for three, -3 for four). If the Bullet Hellbringer possesses the Two Weapon Fighting feat (or subsequent feats), they may subtract additional dice to make Eldritch Blasts as if they were attacking with two weapons; Eldritch Blasts count as light weapons for this purpose. In addition, while in this stance, Eldritch Blasts may be used in Black Rain maneuvers.
    The Bullet Hellbringer may not use Blast Shape invocations in this stance, however, they may still apply Eldritch Essence invocations; they may only use one per round, and it applies to all Eldritch Blast attacks made.
    At 5th level in this class, the Bullet Hellbringer may apply a Blast shape to a single Eldritch Blast attack made in a round.
    EDIT: Also, worth mention, added the Eldritch Blade feat, and swapped that as a prereq for Point Blank Shot.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2010-05-10 at 03:45 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Guns are for sissies. Danmaku is for real men! [3.5 PrC & Feat]

Awesome.

For what it's worth, I would move the use Eldritch Blasts as guns out of the stance and into another class feature, just to let them have some flexibility in what they want to do stance-wise.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Fair enough! *adds it to the Eldritch Blast feature*
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

This is quite interesting. Very reminiscent of a multiclass PRC I tried to make a while back between the Iron Kingdom's Gunmage and the Swordsage, colloquially called the Gunsage. Even used the same discipline, Black Rain, too.

My only real thought on what could be changed is that the class requires that you have proficiency in a firearm to qualify for Black Rain but then never use it again. Maybe have some way to integrate firearms into the style more, like have a firearm shoot off eldritch blasts and be able to have the fire arm's enchantment on the eldritch blasts? That would be pretty awesome, methinks.

Anyways, I need to keep an eye out for your homebrew, as when I see it, I'm generally left impressed.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    My only real thought on what could be changed is that the class requires that you have proficiency in a firearm to qualify for Black Rain but then never use it again. Maybe have some way to integrate firearms into the style more, like have a firearm shoot off eldritch blasts and be able to have the fire arm's enchantment on the eldritch blasts? That would be pretty awesome, methinks.
    2nded. There is nothing in this that screams I use a fire arm, it strikes me that Black Rain was tacked on as an excuse to use it. If you alter the class to use firearms to blast with, weapon bonuses, etc and all I think you'll be in great shape with this.

-X

P.S. Where is Eldritch Blade located? I've never heard of that feat.
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2010-05-12 at 03:20 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    P.S. Where is Eldritch Blade located? I've never heard of that feat.
    It's under the Requirements. It's a tad hidden, which threw me off initially, as well.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It's under the Requirements. It's a tad hidden, which threw me off initially, as well.
    No, I meant, I've never heard of the feat, where would I find it?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

-X
    It is LITERALLY under the Requirements! It's in the first post, right beneath the requirements for entry.

Requirements
    Skills: Concentration 4 ranks, Spot 8 ranks.
    Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency(any firearm), Eldritch Blade.
    Maneuvers: Must know two Black Rain maneuvers.
    Special: Eldritch Blast 2d6.

Eldritch Blade [General]
    Req: Eldritch blast class feature, battle aptitude, ability to use 1st level maneuvers.
    Benefit: Warlock and Warblade levels stack for the purposes of both Eldritch Blast damage, and Battle Aptitude specials. Warlock levels count as 3/4th of initiator level as opposed to 1/2.
    See the bottom half? It's right there.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-05-13 at 03:14 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

-X
    Pretty sure that is to say that the feat is homebrew. Seems to be Strawberryman's staple for dual progression classes, which works for me.
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-05-13 at 03:19 PM.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Well, you can use gun attacks and eldritch blasts in the same full attack. I suppose I could add something along that line.

And yeah, I colored the text to try and make it more noticeable. Guess I'll change it to straight red. XD
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I so want to play this class now. Looks amazingly fun.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

This is quite annoying. Now I'm going to actually have to go through the Tomb of Battle and learn how maneuvers work...

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    This is quite annoying. Now I'm going to actually have to go through the Tomb of Battle and learn how maneuvers work...

Owrtho
    You mean, you now have an excuse to look through ToB, it is one of the 3.5 books that are really worth looking through in detail.
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7