New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Implacable Man [3.5 PrC, PEACH]

Implacable Man

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop! Ever! Until you are dead!"

Hit Die: d12

Requirements:
    Feats: Improved Toughness, Endurance, Diehard
    Saves: Base Fortitude save +7
    Special: Energy Resistance or Immunity, Damage Reduction

The Implacable Man
    {table=head]Level|
    BAB
    |Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    | Damage Reduction, Energy Resistance

2|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Mettle, Physical Immunity

3|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Freedom of Movement, Magic Immunity

4|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Energy Immunity, Mental Immunity

5|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |I'll Be Back, Improved Mettle[/table]
    Skill Points: 2+INT modifier. The Implacable Man's class skills are Balance, Climb, Concentration, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Ride, Spot, Survival and Swim.

Class Features
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Implacable Men are proficient with all armour and all shields.

Damage Reduction (Ex): The Implacable Man's existing damage reduction becomes /-. It increases by 1 for every class level.

Energy Resistance (Ex): The Implacable Man's existing energy resistance increases by 5. He gains resistance to force 5.

Physical Immunity (Ex): A 2nd level or higher Implacable Man is immune to fatigue and penalties or damage to his physical ability scores.

Mettle (Ex): At 2nd level, whenever an Implacable Man succeeds on a Will or Fortitude saving throw against a spell, psionic power, ability or effect that has a partial effect on a successful save, he instead suffers no effect. At 5th level, on a failed Will or Fortitude save against such an effect, the Implacable Man is treated as having passed the save (and suffers only the effects that occur on a passed save).

Freedom of Movement (Su): A 3rd level or higher Implacable Man is constantly under a Freedom of Movement effect.

Magic Immunity (Ex): A 3rd level or higher Implacable Man is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities that allow Spell Resistance, and all psionic powers and psi-like abilities that allow Power Resistance.

Energy Immunity (Ex): At 4th level, the Implacable Man chooses an energy type other than Force that he has energy resistance to, and becomes immune to that energy type. All his other energy resistances improve by 5.

Mental Immunity (Ex): An Implacable Man of 4th level or higher is immune to mind-affecting effects and penalties or damage to his mental ability scores.

I'll Be Back (Su): Whenever an Implacable Man of 5th level or higher is killed by a method other than damage (such as by failing to stabilize, failing a massive damage save or a save on a Coup de Grace, or a death effect) he may return to life 1d10 days later as though he was the target of a Raise Dead spell.

[hr]

The intent here was to create an "unstoppable" character accessible to melee types. The class is not intended to be very easy to enter - the easiest way I can think of is a Barbarian with either the Resistance to Energy feat or Planetouched as a base race. I suppose the save prerequisite could be violated through taking a 1-HD natural lycanthrope, then judiciously multiclassing. That'd get entry into the class as a Lesser Aasimar LA 2/RHD1/Fighter 1/Monk 1/Paladin 1 or some such and 2 more levels in any for the 6th level feat, 2 levels before the intended point. But then you've wasted all your feats (1, 3 and 6) on the crappy prerequisites just so you could turtle, you're sitting on two points of LA and a cheesy race. Even with buyoff, you get the abilities 4 levels earlier and still have to go take something that lets you have offense.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2010-05-19 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: The Implacable Man [3.5 PrC, PEACH]

Flickerdart, the only way this could be better is if the DR/- was DR/Epic

Other than that, make it an NPC-only PrC like Kali Priest

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSword View Post
    Flickerdart, the only way this could be better is if the DR/- was DR/Epic
    Or if it DID ANYTHING.

Other than that, make it an NPC-only PrC like Kali Priest
    Why? If a player seriously wants to waste their time becoming unharmable with no offense or aggro draw... ok then? Let them, with a warning that they're not likely to have a great time doing it. Seems fine to me.

Flickerdart, it's a fine PrC, though it lacks anything useful to do. Now, if you got into this with Knight/Barbarian (somehow) or had some other way to draw attacks, then this gets useful. It's niche, but well made.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Warforged would work kinda well. For a feat, they get the DR, so they can enter with a different class. Also, it does fit with the idea of the class, IMO. And the quote.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

For the sake of confusion prevention, I'd say that "Damage Reduction, Energy Resistance or Immunity" should read "Energy Resistance or Immunity, Damage Reduction." That threw me off a bit.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

WoodenSword: I didn't want to give it DR/epic because then a creature with natural attacks could use them to penetrate said DR a number of levels much too early. It doesn't really have anything that should be denied to players, as turtling isn't an effective tactic to get things done. Sometimes, though, you just need that extra bit of defense on top of your melee rapemonster that deals a thousand damage per swing.

arguskos: It keeps you alive enough to get in more hits. A 5-level PrC doesn't define a character, you should have other things to do, which this class doesn't prevent as all its abilities are passive.

Drogorn: Fixed.

Lappy9000: Ah, that's why it was lopsided, thanks. On a side note: why do br and hr tags acquire angle brackets when you edit a post, and break as a result?
    Originally the PrC included tower shield tricks, but I felt that a true Implacable Man should be blocking attacks with his chest instead. Maybe I'll make the tower shield guy another PrC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting