Tree Trolls As Characters (extrapolated from Dragon Magazine 299)
- +2 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +8 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma.
- Small Size. +1 bonus to armor class and attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium creatures.
- A tree troll's base speed is 30 ft.
- Climb speed 30 ft. A tree troll has a racial +8 bonus to Climb checks and can always choose to take a 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
- A tree troll can use their Strength or Dexterity modifier for Climb and Jump checks.
- Racial Hit Dice: A tree troll begins with two levels of monsterous humanoid, which provide 2d8 hit dice, a +2 base attack bonus and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3 and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: A tree troll's monsterous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (2 + int). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot, Swim and Survival.
- Tree Trolls gain a +8 racial bonus to Balance, Hide and Survival checks in forested areas.
- Racial Feats: A tree troll's monsterous humanoid levels give it one feat.
- +4 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d3) and bite (1d3)
- Improved Grab (Ex): If a tree troll hits an opponent with a claw attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it deals automatic bite damage. Each successful grapple check it makes during subsequent rounds automatically deals claw damage.
- Darkvision 90 ft.
- Low-light Vision
- Regeneration 2 (Ex): Fire and acid deal normal damage to a tree troll. If a tree troll loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The creature can reattach severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.
- Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Tree Trolls have the ability to react to danger before their senses would normally allow them to do so. Tree Trolls retain their Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.
- Favored Class: Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +3
Evermoor trolls altered by pixie magic gone awry, these trolls are now native to the High Forest and have probably trickled elsewhere. They continue to press the pixie tribes who had originally sought to curb thier proliferation, into overwhelming battles that threaten thier populations.
Tree Troll rangers typically favor the hunt of fey creatures.
------------- Personal Modifications ----------------
// Additional class skills for racial HD.
// Added Survival to recieve racial skill bonus in native habitat.
// Reduced the rate of regeneration from 3 to 2.
// Reduced natural armor from 5 to 4.
// Increased base ground speed from 20 to 30 ft.
// Enabled the tree troll to use strength or dexterity for Climb and Jump checks.
Do the trades for greater land speed, ranger as a favored class and the guess at LA seem resonable?
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, criticisms?