New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

What is Academy City anyway?

Spoiler
    Show
    So what is this game about? It’s about a place called Academy City, close to Tokyo, where some of the most amazing people science has discovered are sent once their unique gifts are discovered. And just who are these people? Pyschics, Espers, telepaths, pyrokinetists, telekinetic users, teleporters, and the list goes on and on, but no matter what they are called they are all one simple thing. A person capable of using psychic powers in some fashion or another, able to do extraordinary things once put through Academy City’s all-but unique psychic development programs. From things such as creating fireballs to manipulating luck itself, these people have demonstrated a wide array of capabilities after being gathered into the most advanced city on earth. The majority of espers (we’re talking 98-99% percent here) can barely be considered psychic before being ‘refined’ to the point they can manifest their abilities, but there are the rare few who manifest psychic abilities before being put through the program as well, almost literal gemstones of the world. These espers range from the almost powerless Level 0s to the awesome power possessed by the rare Level 5 espers.

But what about Academy City? Well, it’s a large city that is almost thirty years ahead of the rest of the world in terms of science and development, with numerous nations having a stake invested in the city’s unique residents. Almost sixty percent of the residents at Academy City’s schools, from the prestigious Azabu Academy and Tokiwaida Middle School to the more…’normal’ Onizuka Middle School…though how ‘normal’ any school can be when they are populated by a mix of psychics and normal people is up for debate. Though by far is it’s greatest asset is one of the satellites orbiting above, which continues the Tree Diagram program that can accurately predict the weather up to a month in advance, though those with the proper connections can ask it other things as well…Not that to say that everything is candy and sunshine in this sovereign city, there’s a darker underside to Academy City that most of it’s residents don’t even know about. Dangerous Skill Out gangs, those without powers who target espers for fun or rights, roam the streets and a person can disappear without a trace depending on where they stick their nose. Rumors of illegal research or weapons research are rampant, though Academy City is such a touchy place that such matters are never really investigated seriously by the Board of Directors in charge of Academy City.

This game is based on the setting of the To Aru no Kagaku Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun) light novels/anime/manga series. Watching/Reading the series is OPTIONAL, but they are rather good.

Okay, but how is it different from, say, Nexus?

Spoiler
    Show
    It differs in several important ways.
    First, it is a lot more uniform that the Nexus. Academy City has espers and science, not, say, kitten snipers.
    Second, the plot of Academy City is going to be more directed. There are the good, the bad, and the ugly, and they are mostly organized. As such, most plots and stuff will be interwoven into one big plot. Or at least that's the intention.
    Third, Academy City is NOT in any way connected to the Nexus. i.e. you cannot have a character travel between the two. If you want a character in Academy City, it is for Academy City. You can have a version of the same character for both the Nexus and Academy City, but they are different characters.

How do I start?

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you want to post a character in this thread, and the character registry when it goes up, so everyone can find information on your character and so people can give you helpful criticism on it.
    To prevent a pattern that is all too easy to fall into, it's good to point out the fact that passive actions don't tend to get much attention.
    With that in mind, make a post and begin!

What abilities have been taken?

There are rules, right?

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, there are.
    Firstly, no godmodding (or godmoding). A far better explanation of godmodding than I can give is here.
    Second, please remember that we plan to have a far more directed plot than Nexus. Please run any major spanners in the works past guys on this thread first.
    Third, don't ruin anyone else's fun. I can't stress this enough.
    Fourth, have fun!

New and Improved (but loose) Rules v.1.1!
    These "rules" are more loose guidelines that serve another FFRPG very well so I adopted them into this one, because they work.

1. Consider asking to join in fights before jumping in.
      Please respect that all plots might not be open. Alternatively, if you yourself want to keep a fight cordoned off from other participants, say so in the OOC, at the beginning of your post, or both.
    2. TALK major fights over with your opponent!
      This is to keep arguments about who's the better fighter, who should win, blablablablabla, out of the OOC. Of course, talk these things over in PM, or some kind of IM service. While arguments might break out over said PM/IM... It keeps it out of the OOC. Which is what we're trying to do here. On that note...
    3. Don't argue in the OOC!
      They make the atmosphere oppressive, they make things less fun, and generally unpleasant and maybe even make the arguments larger than they need be. So, if you have a problem with someone, try to talk it out in PM or IM before using the OOC.

These guidelines/loose rules might be viable to change or be added on to as issues come up, but the bases are covered pretty well.

Disclaimer #1: This game is going to have several moderators to mediate IC and OOC disputes (if they require them), but are not moderators in the GitP sense (Like Roland or the Giant). Aside from mediating disputes, they'll be keeping an eye on characters to watch for intentional/unintentional abuse. If they ask you to change something, it's a good idea to consider it. If they tell you it needs to be changed, then it does but this sort of thing is for important matters only. Disruptive players will be asked to leave if they insist on causing trouble.

Disclaimer #2: If you want to make a level five, make up a character and the community will decide if it shoud be or not.' That way we keep the number of level 5's down and everyone will agree on them. Remember that in canon, Academy City had only seven level fives, and a population of 1.8 million.

Important Links

The Wiki
    (The wiki password is "biribiri" (sans the quotation marks))
    Toaru Majutsu no Index wiki.

OOC's
    OOC I: Biribiri

IC's
    Acadedy City I

Banners

Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Yippee, a new thread!

... wait, I should actually post with Hinata once in a while... shouldn't I?

<.<

>.>
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Been a while, hasn't it?

To begin, I must sincerely apologize for my long absence, which I can blame on school work. I was set upon by another paper for a class (THE final paper) much earlier than I expected, so I had to drop everything and finish that off. By the time I was done with that, then began exam week (which is still ongoing). I've been working nonstop on school-related projects until literally just now, which is why I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone until this post.

I'm afraid that I still won't be able to post until after this Friday, as that is when all of my exams/last papers are due.

Again, I apologize for the delay, and I hope I haven't caused the game to stall too much with my absence.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

13! You're back!
    NarutoITP Characters
    Generals Morgan
    BleachITP Reborn Characters

Full Metal Madness(ITP) All images by Terry576

GB week Alilah avvie by Keveak!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Oh beautiful and stylish woman, Moon Wolf. Please, take these internet flowers as a token of my love, and an appeasement so that I may not have to endure your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Gah! Onmitsukido'd!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"Does this mean I can get back to teasing Mitsune-chan? <3"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel like I have missed something. >.>

Have I?

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

BarbarianGuy

Ummm...should we have something in the intro of the first OOC to point here?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ace_cipher_zero View Post
    No need. With nobody posting in it, the first OOC will fall off the first page soon enough anyway.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah, also, I'm waiting on you dang it!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Been a while, hasn't it?

To begin, I must sincerely apologize for my long absence, which I can blame on school work. I was set upon by another paper for a class (THE final paper) much earlier than I expected, so I had to drop everything and finish that off. By the time I was done with that, then began exam week (which is still ongoing). I've been working nonstop on school-related projects until literally just now, which is why I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone until this post.

I'm afraid that I still won't be able to post until after this Friday, as that is when all of my exams/last papers are due.

Again, I apologize for the delay, and I hope I haven't caused the game to stall too much with my absence.
    Until Friday?! That soon?!

Oh ya! I will be GREAT having you back 13. And I just turned in a massive essay as well. They certainly are a pain.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-12-14 at 10:46 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Been a while, hasn't it?

Tsk don't worry about it. School is important and we all know the stress of deadlines. I got two today myself actually. If you feel like making up however there's this nice Mahjong place with three PC's in there that could use some serious action.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

12. - Top - End - #12

I guess I'd do something, but I'm not sure where exactly to start off...
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    I guess I'd do something, but I'm not sure where exactly to start off...
    Wherever you like. It's saturday, so you've got free reign to put Avery just about anywhere in the city. Don't be afraid to be overt and start a scene yourself if nothing much is happening when you post; Every scene needs someone to start it off, and there's no reason why that someone can't be you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Ahh, the smell of a new thread. Smells like cranberry energy drink

I am kind of sad that both Friday Katsu and Saturday Katsu are waiting on people. Despite my resent joining of Nexus I still want to do something with the little speedster
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Ahh, the smell of a new thread. Smells like cranberry energy drink

I am kind of sad that both Friday Katsu and Saturday Katsu are waiting on people. Despite my resent joining of Nexus I still want to do something with the little speedster
    Then by all means do so. While it's generally polite to forgive delays in the game, there's a limit to how far that should go. Saturday Katsu's conversation has been frozen for over a week, with no word from the other player as to why; That's more than long enough to justify abandoning it.

16. - Top - End - #16

Dear all,

I will be taking a leave of absence from this RP for a while, and with good reason. Today, while crossing a busy downtown street, my best friend was struck by a car. She has been admitted to the hospital and is currently in the ER with no updates on her condition. If you wish to contact me about this and/or send her well wishes, please inbox me.

Why, you ask? Because anyone from the old Bleach RP or other places will know my friend.

Her name is Artemis Dreamer.
    NarutoITP Characters
    Generals Morgan
    BleachITP Reborn Characters

Full Metal Madness(ITP) All images by Terry576

GB week Alilah avvie by Keveak!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Oh beautiful and stylish woman, Moon Wolf. Please, take these internet flowers as a token of my love, and an appeasement so that I may not have to endure your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Gah! Onmitsukido'd!

17. - Top - End - #17

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Nah, also, I'm waiting on you dang it!
    Sorry about that, some pretty big issues came up and I have had spotty internet access for the past 2 weeks, although that should be changing soon.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry about that, some pretty big issues came up and I have had spotty internet access for the past 2 weeks, although that should be changing soon.
    No problem, just making sure you hadn't forgotten is all.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wolf View Post
    Dear all,

I will be taking a leave of absence from this RP for a while, and with good reason. Today, while crossing a busy downtown street, my best friend was struck by a car. She has been admitted to the hospital and is currently in the ER with no updates on her condition. If you wish to contact me about this and/or send her well wishes, please inbox me.

Why, you ask? Because anyone from the old Bleach RP or other places will know my friend.

Her name is Artemis Dreamer.
    My condolences, Moon Wolf. I wish you, your friend, and your loved ones the best.

(I'm also posting to let everyone know that, due to administrative SNAFU, one of my exams got moved to Monday. The result is that I won't be able to post until after that exam. I'm really sorry for the continued delays...

If any of my characters are causing hold ups, feel free to godmode them or write around them as necessary.)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

My condolences, Moon Wolf. I wish you, your friend, and your loved ones the best.

(I'm also posting to let everyone know that, due to administrative SNAFU, one of my exams got moved to Monday. The result is that I won't be able to post until after that exam. I'm really sorry for the continued delays...

If any of my characters are causing hold ups, feel free to godmode them or write around them as necessary.)
    Heck, I can wait. You Ace that exam 13.

And I hope your friends is doing better Moon Wolf.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

As said before, I'll be praying for her.

----

Um... am I needed anywhere?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    As said before, I'll be praying for her.

----

Um... am I needed anywhere?
    ...Oh dear. Er, (just out of curiosity) you wouldn't happen to remember a certain breakfast conversation, would you? One with a man called Katsu? That's been left hanging for almost two weeks now? If so then yes, you're needed. On an unrelated note, I think you may owe Keveak an apology...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    ...Oh dear. Er, (just out of curiosity) you wouldn't happen to remember a certain breakfast conversation, would you? One with a man called Katsu? That's been left hanging for almost two weeks now? If so then yes, you're needed. On an unrelated note, I think you may owe Keveak an apology...
    No need, chap. I have just been too lazy/distracted to do something else with Saturday Katsu myself. I don't want to force people to apologise just because they missed a character of mine responding to their's in as busy a month as ol' December

Might help that I honestly participate in a critical abundance of FFRPGs >.>
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I'll need to look for the post in question... might have to wait until after my bike ride. Not sure.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    "Huh. That felt kinda like an Out Of Body experience. Wonder why?"
    Oh, sorry for the slight godmod there; It wasn't intentional. I just automatically assumed that you'd want to go straight to the office. Feel free to ignore any such leading posts in future.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Whew! Exams are over. I'm flying across the Pacific tomorrow, so I need to pack for that, but meanwhile I'm going to try and catch up with what I've missed so far in the game.

Anyr mentioned that folks were going about doing non-plot related things. Does anyone wish for the big plot to start up again, or would you guys rather do something else?

27. - Top - End - #27

BarbarianGuy

Big bad plot is fine with me, but if I have to wait longer that's fine too.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Either big bad plot, or make Sannin-sama do something to attract attention from her precious part-timer.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Either way works for me. Big Plot or just hanging around, depends. Although, for the sake of the game, perhaps Big Plot would be best.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

30. - Top - End - #30

Big plot sounds like fun.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga