New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Nexus] Nexus OOC X: Leave Your Common Sense at the Door.

Due to general agreement between people on both sides of the line, TOWN and ACRO have been merged. Thus, all threads which previously would have fallen in once category or another, should now be tagged [NEXUS].

LONG LIVE THE NEXUS!

So, what is Nexus?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the Nexus itself is like a rift, a single, brilliant point where all the universes in this strange thing we call 'reality' meet. Traveling to, from, and between any world or cosmology is theoretically possible here, and the Nexus itself seems to encourage this happening, often sucking beings and locations out of other universes at random, and dumping them on the world that lies at its center. It was not always like this, however. Once there were two worlds at the Nexus' heart, separate and distinct, though somewhat similar in ways. Similar enough that they slowly and eventually merged, so that only one remained. Here in this world the Nexus' influence reigns supreme, and as such the world has defied almost all attempts at classification. Here, knights of old may engage with Jedi knights. Gleaming spaceships land in Dark Age hamlets. Cowboys and samurai quest together to find holy sandwich boxes. And in the heavens above, Xi Wangmu and the Flying Spaghetti Monster meet every Woden's Day to play bowls with Pelor (it gets pretty epic). Here the possibilities are endless, and the universe without rules (except the Forum Rules, and the general FFRP rules, and the Individual Thread Rules, and oh whatever). Welcome to Nexus. Fun is had here.

Major Locales
    Spoiler
    Show

For an endless world that defies all logic and classification, Nexus can be pretty darn consistent at times. As such, several locations have survived the test of time, remaining (somewhat) constant amidst the chaos of the rest of the world.

Inside - Inside mostly resembles a modern city, with high-rise buildings and apartments, alleyways and roads, though the odd Demonic Monument can still be seen rising up above the surrounding suburb, teeming with dark cultists. Inside is the current seat of the Acronymian Empire, which controls much of the surrounding area.

Outside - If you ain't Inside, you're OUTSIDE! Simple as that. Outside is a meta-thread for all those wildernessy type areas that don't merit their own threads, be it wood or lake or tiny shack.

ACRONYMS - Home to adventurers, these complexes provide headquarters and occasionally living space for like-minded Player Characters. Invariably equipped with cheesy names, these structures provide a place for their various members to fight crime, cause chaos, or anything of the sort. Current Acronyms include:
    • AMEN - Association for the Malicious, Evil and Nefarious. Evil aligned organization, exists to be EVIL! And sometimes Ebil.
    • HALO - Heroic, Anti-evil and Lawbreaking Organization. Non-Evil aligned organization, exists to smite wrong-doers.
    • GLoG - Good League of Good. Good aligned organization, exists to redeem evil-doers.
    • LANTERN - Lawful Awesome Not-Neutral Truthful Anti-Evil Respectable Nothing Else. Good-Aligned group dedicated to fighting evil and crime of anysort. They also use power rings, and is a supeteam led by Maxios.
    • NO - Neutralist Oganization. Neutral aligned organization, exists to perform mercenary contracts for other organizations and individuals in the Nexus without taking sides
    • WATCHTOWER - You Know What? Screw It. Non-aligned aligned organization. Exists to destroy threats to Nexus, whatever form they may take.
    • SAINT - Society of Assassins, Infiltrators, Ninja, and Terrorists. Assasin's guild, located in Riverside.
    • PACK - Perfectly Acceptable College for Kids. The local Nexus school. Class has pretty much never been in session, though...

The Taverns
    What kind of vaguely DnD-esque adventurer would you be if you didn't visit one of these places at least once? The various Taverns, Grills, Hotels, Cantinas and Restaurant provide meeting places for the Player Characters, areas for quest givers to stand mysteriously in, and also places for people to eat and spend the money they seem to have infinite amounts of. Though there are a vast number of such places in Nexus, some with their own thread and some without, throughout history three major hubs have existed, without which Nexus as we know it wouldn't exist. The Dancing Fox Inn, which is located in What used to be Town but is now another part of the Inside. Taverna Generica, which is located near Inside's more NPC inhabited areas. Finally, there is Trog's Tavern, which is located, maddeningly enough, at every corner of the Nexus at the same time. There is also the Black Dragon's Den, it's located roughly between the docks and the slums of Inside, and is the local hive of scum and villainy.

Nexus Character Directory
    Last edited by Morty; 2010-12-20 at 12:21 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Nexus OOC X:

The title should be:
    Arabic Numerals? Never heard of 'em!
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MPG View Post
    Lucky for me, I believe I've read somewhere that the empire does not use satellite weponry.

Hmm I supose the big bolt could work. And having encountered her before might cause an irational chase.

I'm glad I checked here first before posting.
    Alright then. I'll have you run into the beastie.

Time for the epic showdown between the two.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Reinholdt, I find it quite plainly obvious that most don't share your opinion, given that I have repeatedly asked if people wanted it gone.

I try quite hard to avoid simply calling down unstoppable hordes on everyone. Hence why I don't simply try to crush AMEN with everything the Empire has.

I pointedly included the Red Zone of Inside as a place to do smaller things that would draw Imperial ire in the other Zones without getting stomped on. The current situation there is temporary, and I have every intention of pulling out of there in the end, unless of course no one cares about the Red Zone anymore once Riverside is established.

Something that wrecks massive portions of the city like an invasion or massively oversized threat is going to draw the Empire's full attention, yes. There's not much way to avoid that, given you're threatening the freakin' city itself. But when given the choice of Inside with the Empire and Town without it, Inside was chosen. I figure I must be doing something right.

Yes, the Empire does make it much harder for invasions, massive giants, and apocalypses to affect Inside. I for one don't think that's a bad thing, since those would likely keep most people out of the plot with its sheer scale already.

Meanwhile, the splitting of the Acro-Imperial Territory thread from Outside was done partially with making it easier to avoid the Empire in mind, so anyone who doesn't want to deal with the Empire does not have to!

I have also repeatedly asked what people thought of certain trends the Empire started or helped to start, and I have found that pretty much no one cares.

Raw power is only half the definition OPness. Have you noticed that high-powers that don't use their full power all the time tend to draw a lot less flak?

I do my best to scale when possible. Did I use even a full ISF squad in that encounter with Trix and Serena recently? No, I did not. Have I tried to completely obliterate AMEN? No, I have not. Have I tried to conquer all of the Nexus and deny everyone the opportunity to do anything outside the Empire?

I have not.

Besides, I don't think the Empire holds a candle to a certain invasion whose player outright admitted to trying to win, when the invasion's only purpose was to kill everyone, Reinholdt.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I didn't want the Empire gone. You clearly misunderstand my post. I just don't like it in it's current incarnation.

And if you wish to not so subtly point to my invasion, your definition of win is horribly skewed, and I had to specifically up the power of that incredibly due to the Empire's presence. I initially planned it much lower power, but then the Empire came about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yo, TS, you ninja'd one of my edits in outside again. Just letting you know.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Then what would you have me do?
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

As long as other people are ok with the plan. It sounds like that's what's going down.

I'll try and post the intro fairly soon.

Um wow. DC, I personally have nothing against, you, the Empire or anyone in the community for that matter. I just wanted to creat a little excitment and controversy. I'm sorry if I started this argument.

I don't mind getting an army angry at this character it could be fun. That said if you would rather it not be two stories tall I can adjust it. What size would be less likely to act as a moving target for heavy ordanence?
    Last edited by MPG; 2010-12-19 at 06:09 PM.
    FFRP Characters
    Nexus RailITP

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

It was more Reinholdt's complaint about Imperial OP'dness, MPG. It's not your fault he chose to mention it.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Ok, no problems. Then am I good to go?
    FFRP Characters
    Nexus RailITP

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Every time I've seen the Empire come out of a major battle, they come out stronger. With more forces, gear, and firepower. I think they lost an airship once and now have two more and several fighters and even more air superiority than ever yes?

I don't know where they're getting all the resources to seem no less off after any fight then they were prior to it. I'd like to see some posts talking about it. Them repairing their damaged vehicles, or hiring contractors to get new ones. In particular, I don't know where they get all their soldiers from. Haven't a large number of them died? Does the population of Inside getting decimated do nothing? Do they just send more from another country or something? I think seeing them low on manpower wouldn't be unrealistic after a major battle (though admittedly now isn't one of those times).

Basically, I think seeing some aftermath to the Empire and not just to the city to show that they're not all powerful would greatly improve things.

For example, I think a recruitment drive happening in Inside would make a whole lot of sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Recruitment would only be cool if it gave us the chance to play soldiers

WE COULD BE THE WATCH
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2010-12-19 at 06:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

We have already been offered the option to do so.

Horngeek recently started an new officer character.

That said I tend to agree with Reinholdt here. It would be neat to see lots of the stuff on screen, to explain where they are getting all the new power from.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Agreed. For all of the benefits of the empire, there are certainly problems that need to be circumvented.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Intro for Trygaunt's Finale is up Inside. Enjoy.

What yall think?
    Last edited by MPG; 2010-12-19 at 06:45 PM.
    FFRP Characters
    Nexus RailITP

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Re population death: That would be because I really don't feel like drawing out the result of an aborted apocalypse plot, assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about, much less take risks by going into the whole 'banned player' territory that I am not going to talk about further.

Re recruitment drive: The problem about getting others to play IA soldiers/ISF officers is that there's quite often not too much for them to do, particularly in the former case. In that one not much short of perpetual war could change it, and that's...not really worth it, in my opinion. So there's really not much I can do here.

Re vehicles/equipment: I specifically had that company of DC's start supplying the Empire a while after that one apocalypse I already mentioned.

And as far as seeing the Empire as a country rather than just the Empire in the city...it's not my fault most people ignore Imperial Territory and writing fluffposts people can't really interact with is kinda dull.

On the airship thing-one of the two the Empire currently has was already around when Haven was destroyed. One was constructed for a failed plot and was out of Imperial hands anyway, and thus the Empire has only one more of those things than it did then. Not to mention the Empire can only support two of them. One of the two just happens to carry smaller aircraft and isn't much of a frontline combat craft. Also as far as air superiority goes, the current gunships are actually inferior to the older K-Corp ones.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcomet View Post
    On the airship thing-one of the two the Empire currently has was already around when Haven was destroyed. One was constructed for a failed plot and was out of Imperial hands anyway, and thus the Empire has only one more of those things than it did then. Not to mention the Empire can only support two of them. One of the two just happens to carry smaller aircraft and isn't much of a frontline combat craft. Also as far as air superiority goes, the current gunships are actually inferior to the older K-Corp ones.
    It would have probably been better if you had said this sort of thing to begin with.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by MPG View Post
    Intro for Trygaunt's Finale is up Inside. Enjoy.

What yall think?
    Epic counter posted!

Let the showdown begin

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

When I say recruitment drive, I don't mean asking people to play officers or soldiers already in the groups. 'Uncle [Name Here] wants you to join [Other Name Here]' type of thing going on Inside. Doesn't even have to involve PCs.

But if you don't want to do any of the things suggested, there's naught to be done then. Unless someone else has ideas.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe not worry about it if DC plays his empire different than some other player would play theirs? I'm not seeing any real complaints here about substance. Just appearance.

In other news:

Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by celtois View Post
    Epic counter posted!

Let the showdown begin
    Excelent
    Well played. You've called down the thunder now get ready to reap the whirlwind. sigh Worst. Mixed metaphor. Ever.
    FFRP Characters
    Nexus RailITP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Not to mention I really don't have time for making non-interactive fluffposts as I suspect such a recruitment drive would end up as thanks to the flaw in having ISF and IA PCs, what with how very hectic things are lately and the fact that I do happen to have things other than FFRP to occupy my time. >.>

It doesn't help that the main other Imperial player is away, too.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

In three hours I'll be gone for the night and the next day till 8 my time.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Maybe not worry about it if DC plays his empire different than some other player would play theirs? I'm not seeing any real complaints here about substance. Just appearance.
    Appearance can very much be substance in FFRP. I think some recent characters have proven that.

And he specifically asked what I thought should be done. I told him.

He doesn't have time for it. At which I point I say, ok. Maybe we could ask Wolf if he'd be interested in doing such a thing when he comes back with DC's approval.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Either way, at least my workload will be lessened once Wolf gets back.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

26. - Top - End - #26

Would anyone mind if I tried to put together a map of Inside? It would probably be rather... Minimal in the beginning but once I get the actual layout done I suppose I could make it a bit more nice to look at.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

I mind, Doom.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

28. - Top - End - #28

Not that it's a big deal but I was wondering why?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the layout of Inside is determined by convenience, players in it at the time, ongoing plot threads, time restraints, and whoever ate more for lunch.
    So maps are impoopsible. Impossible and poop.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

...pretty much what Beans said. The Zones I've already established and described allow a decent enough idea of where things are. Going into more specific detail is pretty much impossible.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links: