New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Maze of Madness [P.E.A.C.H]

Heavily inspired by the Deathstalker novels.

The Maze of Madness

The plane of Mechanus is one of primal Order. A perfect interwoven machine; intricate clockwork exquisitely crafted and forever locked in calculation. Everything about the plane in exact proportion, down to the last detail.

All save one. In a remote corner of the plane lies an door made of an unknown metal, twelve feet tall. It has no actual width; if one does not look at it from front or back, it does not exist. Runes burnt into the material spiral outward from the door's center; they constantly change and shift into the writings of various other languages with no discernible pattern save one-all have ceased to be spoken, and the civilizations that birthed them are long since gone. Attempts to translate the script have proven fruitless; long trains of gibberish that is disturbing to look upon only result. All who look upon the door must immediately make a DC 25 Will Save or be affected with a Suggestion to leave immediately and never return. This is not a mind-affecting ability; only those with no Intelligence score are immune. Success on a save gives one permanent immunity to any further suggestion by the portal.

Those brave enough to enter the portal find themselves at the base of the Maze itself. It initially appears straightforward-a simple pattern of tall and shimmering steel walls. The walls are infinitely tall, yet only a fraction of an inch thick. A single narrow path leads further into the maze. Yet if one stares more closely at the Maze, one notices the flowing patterns and designs that grace its surfaces; they appear utterly strange and alien; it is unnerving to merely look upon them for too long. If one attempts to touch one of the walls, they are cold, bitterly so-they take 50 cold damage, which is unaffected by resistance or even immunity to cold. There have been no reports of what happens to those who attempt to destroy or harm the walls. There have, however, been many such expeditions to experiment with doing so...

The origins of the Maze are lost to time and myth, though many theories about. Some say that it was crafted by a mad psion, seeking to tear Mechanus in two. Others will claim that it was an early incursion into the Outer Planes by the inhabitants of the Far Realm. Still others maintain that it was crafted by the Gods of Law themselves, a testament to the anarchy that they view as anathema.

Whatever the reason, though, it is well known that those who walk the Maze of Madness can achieve incredible clarity-at terrible cost. One cannot use any form of teleportation, planar travel, or other method of movement other than a land speed. It is impossible to run while inside the maze-all who attempt do find that they are inexplicably walking within 2 rounds. All inside the maze cannot be scryed upon, nor can the maze itself-divination spells automatically fail, and those that are cast before hand are automatically dispelled once inside. The need for rest, food, and drink are subsumed while in the maze; one's sense of direction is also lost. Those who walk the maze in groups are quickly separated; while they may attempt to walk together, the narrow path dictates that they walk single file. Eventually, they will come to a corner, turn it, and find their companions nowhere to be found.

Walking the maze is a profoundly unnerving experience. The walls always seem to be just beyond one's shoulders; there is no sound but a low, constant thrumming, like an enormous heart. There is no discernible temperature, or sense of time; merely the sense that drives on inexorably onward. And there is an ever-present sense of judgment. Of being watched by some other being.

For every ten minutes spent in the Maze, a player must make a DC 30 Will Save; a DC 50 Survival check grants a +4 bonus. Those who are immune to will saves by some method instead receive a +5 bonus. This DC increases by 5 for every additional ten minutes spent in the maze. Those who fail their saves take 5 points of Wisdom and Charisma damage, and this damage cannot be healed while they remain in the maze. Those who reach 0 Wisdom or Charisma are forcibly ejected from the maze, appearing at a random location on the material plane. Their Wisdom and Charisma scores are each reduced to zero; it takes a miracle, wish, or reality revision to allow this drain to be healed.

For every twenty minutes spent in the maze, the DM makes a secret roll on a d20; this represents the chance that some of the Maze's power has seeped into the player. The results of this d20 are shown on the below table. Anyone who has successfully gained an ability from the Maze of Madness may elect to leave; a path opens before them that will lead them to the entrance. There they may wait for the other members of their group, incapable of knowing their fate until they too emerge from that single path...or they do not, lost to Madness.

Abilities of the Maze of Madness:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]d20 roll | ability
    1-2 | Greater Power Backlash-Character takes 5 point of CHA and WIS damage and gains a negative level. DC to remove(once free of the maze) is 35.
    3-4| Backlash of Power-Character takes 5 points of CHA or WIS damage(player's choice)
    5-9 | No Ability Granted
    10-11 | Touchsight at will, as an Extraordinary ability
    12-13 | Fission 3/day, as a Psi-Like ability
    14-15 | Quickened True Strike at will, as a Supernatural ability
    16-17 | One random magic item in the character's possession merges with him; he gains all benefits of that item, but that item slot is now considered free, and the abilities or bonuses granted by that item cannot be taken away. Items so merged must be currently worn, and cannot be expandable in any way, shape or form with the exception of items with charges renewed daily. Once fused, the item is no longer considered worn; it is now a part of that character, and the slot it previously occupied is now free and open for a different magic item.
    18-19 | Time Duplicate 1/day
    20 | Reality Revision 1/day as a Psi-Like Ability[/table]

Knowledge(the Planes) checks about the Maze of Madness:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]DC | Result
    5 | A common expression used by mothers against disobedient children references getting dropped off "in the Maze"
    10 | The Maze of Madness is more than just a legend, and rumors of its great power abound.
    15 | The Maze is perilous, though; those who wander its paths emerge either permanently damaged or changed and gifted with abilities beyond compare.
    20 | The Maze is accessible only via a single portal on Mechanus, and that location cannot be determined by magic. Many who have found such a portal, though, have run in terror, and have sworn to never return or reveal the secret of its location
    25 | The exact location of the portal to the Maze is given out.
    35 | The Maze was built for a Reason. It is said to be a test of mortal will. Characters who roll this high gain a +2 bonus on saves against the Maze's powers-including the portal.
    50 | As all mazes have a center, so to does this one. And it is said that at the Center of the Maze of Madness lies one's heart's desire...[/table]
    Last edited by industrious; 2011-02-20 at 11:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Maze of Madness

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    Abilities of the Maze of Madness:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]d20 roll | ability
    1-5 | No Ability Granted
    6-7 | Backlash of Power-Character takes 5 points of CHA or WIS damage(player's choice)
    8-9 | Greater Power Backlash-Character takes 5 point of CHA and WIS damage and gains a negative level. DC to remove(once free of the maze) is 35.
    10-11 | Touchsight at will, as an Extraordinary ability
    12-13 | Fission 3/day, as a Psi-Like ability
    14-15 | Quickened True Strike at will, as a Supernatural ability
    16-17 | One random magic item in the character's possession merges with him; he gains all benefits of that item, but that item slot is now considered free, and the abilities or bonuses granted by that item cannot be taken away. Items so merged must be currently worn, and cannot be expandable in any way, shape or form with the exception of items with charges renewed daily.
    18-19 | Time Duplicate 1/day
    20 | Reality Revision 1/day as a Psi-Like Ability[/table]

Why not simply put greater power backlash at 1-2, power backlash at 3-4, and no ability at 5-9? Just to keep consistant with the usual higher numbers are better.
    Long Sig (now with nonsense riddles).

Squadron leader of =Knights of Wolf= in War Thunder

...you either learn to laugh, or you go insane. I prefer to laugh.
    -Ee'char STDS9: Hard Time

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

That would be more logical, I suppose. I should do that.
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    Heavily inspired by the Deathstalker novels.

The Maze of Madness

... This is not a mind-affecting ability; only those with no Intelligence score are immune....
    Maybe I just have not been playing D&D enough, but how is it possible to have no intelligence score? To me, that defines an object or non-living thing.
    Long Sig (now with nonsense riddles).

Squadron leader of =Knights of Wolf= in War Thunder

...you either learn to laugh, or you go insane. I prefer to laugh.
    -Ee'char STDS9: Hard Time

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Constructs.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Love this kind of thing, wish there'd be more around here in Homebrew.
    Particularly, I like the twisting happening in the Maze, its orderly appearence which is actually chaos manifest.
    Reminds me of planescape, it's all about philosophies... everything is chaos, nothing is chaos, if you look at an organized chart but know not the principles ruling it, it will be utter chaos to you... You could call chaos the universal law and so nothing would be surprising, but what good would it be to you?

Just one thing:
    and cannot be expandable in any way, shape or form with the exception of items with charges renewed daily.
    Got me confused for a moment, I'd change the wording to

"One random non-expendable magic item in the character's possession merges with him; he gains all benefits of that item, but that item slot is now considered free, and the abilities or bonuses granted by that item cannot be taken away."

Nevermind the following... it was the confusion I mentioned.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just have one minimal question:
    that item slot is now considered free, and the abilities or bonuses granted by that item cannot be taken away. Items so merged must be currently worn,
    How would the item slot be considered free if the item must be constantly worn? I mean, if I'm wearing my fused Cloak of Charisma +2, I can't wear a Cape of the Mountebank, right?
    Last edited by Land Outcast; 2011-02-19 at 03:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

OldWizardGuy

I think he is saying that the item must be worn at the time of the fusing. Once fused, the item is no longer considered worn, it is now a part of you, and the slot it previously occupied is now free and open for a different magic item.
    I am the Thread-killer. All threads involving me inevitably die. It is my curse, a curse that deprives me of the answers I seek.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

This is some spooky stuff! If I ever DM for a party that visits Mechanus, I'd like to incorporate this into their adventure (with your permission, of course).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gan The Grey View Post
    I think he is saying that the item must be worn at the time of the fusing. Once fused, the item is no longer considered worn, it is now a part of you, and the slot it previously occupied is now free and open for a different magic item.
    Yep, I got it, just saying it could be clearer.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I'll correct that to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Dave View Post
    This is some spooky stuff! If I ever DM for a party that visits Mechanus, I'd like to incorporate this into their adventure (with your permission, of course).
    Of course. If it's on these forums, please, PM me the thread, so I can check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Outcast View Post
    Love this kind of thing, wish there'd be more around here in Homebrew.

Particularly, I like the twisting happening in the Maze, its orderly appearence which is actually chaos manifest.

Reminds me of planescape, it's all about philosophies... everything is chaos, nothing is chaos, if you look at an organized chart but know not the principles ruling it, it will be utter chaos to you... You could call chaos the universal law and so nothing would be surprising, but what good would it be to you?
    Thanks. I originally meant it to be an artifact, but that doesn't really fit. It isn't exactly a planar location, either, since the Maze drives everything within it insane. Maybe the gate has some guardians, though...

It's not for me to decide that, though.
    Last edited by industrious; 2011-02-20 at 05:22 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2