Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [NEXUS] OOC 17: This Title For Rent

WELCOME TO THE NEXUS!

So, what is Nexus?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the Nexus itself is like a rift, a single, brilliant point where all the universes in this strange thing we call 'reality' meet. Traveling to, from, and between any world or cosmology is theoretically possible here, and the Nexus itself seems to encourage this happening, often sucking beings and locations out of other universes at random, and dumping them on the world that lies at its center. It was not always like this, however. Once there were two worlds at the Nexus' heart, separate and distinct, though somewhat similar in ways. Similar enough that they slowly and eventually merged, so that only one remained. Here in this world the Nexus' influence reigns supreme, and as such the world has defied almost all attempts at classification. Here, knights of old may engage with Jedi knights. Gleaming spaceships land in Dark Age hamlets. Cowboys and samurai quest together to find holy sandwich boxes. And in the heavens above, Xi Wangmu and the Flying Spaghetti Monster meet every Woden's Day to play bowls with Pelor (it gets pretty epic). Here the possibilities are endless, and the universe without rules (except the Forum Rules, and the general FFRP rules, and the Individual Thread Rules, and oh whatever). Welcome to Nexus. Fun is had here.

Major Locales
    Spoiler
    Show

For an endless world that defies all logic and classification, Nexus can be pretty darn consistent at times. As such, several locations have survived the test of time, remaining (somewhat) constant amidst the chaos of the rest of the world.

Inside - Inside mostly resembles a modern city, with high-rise buildings and apartments, alleyways and roads, though the odd Demonic Monument can still be seen rising up above the surrounding suburb, teeming with dark cultists. Inside is the current seat of the Acronymian Empire, which controls much of the surrounding area.

Outside - If you ain't Inside, you're OUTSIDE! Simple as that. Outside is a meta-thread for all those wildernessy type areas that don't merit their own threads, be it wood or lake or tiny shack.

ACRONYMS - Home to adventurers, these complexes provide headquarters and occasionally living space for like-minded Player Characters. Invariably equipped with cheesy names, these structures provide a place for their various members to fight crime, cause chaos, or anything of the sort. Current Acronyms include:
    • AMEN - Association for the Malicious, Evil and Nefarious. Evil aligned organization, exists to be EVIL! And sometimes Ebil.
    • HALO - Heroic, Anti-evil and Lawbreaking Organization. Non-Evil aligned organization, exists to smite wrong-doers.
    • GLoG - Good League of Good. Good aligned organization, exists to redeem evil-doers.
    • LANTERN - Lawful Awesome Not-Neutral Truthful Anti-Evil Respectable Nothing Else. Good-Aligned group dedicated to fighting evil and crime of any sort.
    • NO - Neutralist Oganization. Neutral aligned organization, exists to perform mercenary contracts for other organizations and individuals in the Nexus without taking sides
    • WATCHTOWER - You Know What? Screw It. Non-aligned aligned organization. Exists to destroy threats to Nexus, whatever form they may take.
    • SAINT - Society of Assassins, Infiltrators, Ninja, and Terrorists. Assasin's guild, located in Riverside.
    • PACK - Perfectly Acceptable College for Kids. The local Nexus school. Class mostly occurs offscreen, though...

The Taverns
    What kind of vaguely DnD-esque adventurer would you be if you didn't visit one of these places at least once? The various Taverns, Grills, Hotels, Cantinas and Restaurant provide meeting places for the Player Characters, areas for quest givers to stand mysteriously in, and also places for people to eat and spend the money they seem to have infinite amounts of. Though there are a vast number of such places in Nexus, some with their own thread and some without, throughout history three major hubs have existed, without which Nexus as we know it wouldn't exist. The Dancing Fox Inn, which is located in What used to be Town but is now another part of the Inside. Taverna Generica, which is located near Inside's more NPC inhabited areas. Finally, there is Trog's Tavern, which is located, maddeningly enough, at every corner of the Nexus at the same time. There is also the Black Dragon's Den, it's located roughly between the docks and the slums of Inside, and is the local hive of scum and villainy.

General Nexus FAQs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Is there a guide to getting started? Besides this post, which you're currently reading, you should also read post 3 of the stickied FFRP Central thread. Once you've read both, you can ask any questions you ask in the current Nexus OOC thread. If you have no questions, post in the Nexus OOC anyway to introduce yourself. And welcome.

What kind of character can I make? Any. There are no restrictions on genre, alignment, world of origin, etc.

Will my power work the way it does in the source setting? Almost certainly not. In your setting, you may have been the Mighty Zorlox, whose power to control the world's socks was absolute, but in the Nexus, you may run across Madam Bo Peep, who controls the world's wool.

If my power goes against your power, who wins? In combat or any type of adversarial situation, the defender has the final say. So if Zorlox tries to turn Bo Peep's wool socks purple, Peep's player gets to decide if her wool power prevails. But if Bo Peep tries to have a pair of wool socks strangle Zorlox, then his player gets to decide if his sock power wins.

Oh no! Someone's already using my character concept! In the Nexus, all cosmologies are true. Just because someone is playing the incarnation of Death doesn't mean you can't as well. You are very unlikely to come up with a character concept that is wholly unique while remaining playable; there is nothing new under the sun, and so on.

Sometimes you'll say 'I just came up with a great character idea - they have x race and y abilities and z backstory and I'll call her Linda' and someone will say 'You mean like my character Lynda over there that I introduced last week?' No one really knows why these sort of coincidences occur, but the Nexus seems especially prone to them. When they do, the best thing to do is to fiddle with your character concept a bit to set them apart.

Where should I start? Long answer, you can start in any thread that isn't a private thread or a plot thread. Short answer, Trog's. Just start at Trog's.

Do I need to get pre-approval for my character, or fill in a registry form before I start?
    Nope. You can if you like, but it's not required. And sometimes it's better to get a feel for your character first, before deciding all the details about them.

Your first character (copied from FFRP Central)
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, you're ready to make your first character. One of the hardest things to get used to in ffrp is that you don't start out in an adventuring party, and there's no DM to push characters together. You'll have to actually find people to interact with on your own. Here are some tips (not requirements!) for making that easier on your first character:
    • Don't be the quiet person in the shadowy corner. If you roleplay as someone who is outgoing and talkative, you'll find it easier to make IC friends. Someone who is curious or greedy will be more open to plot hooks and adventure opportunities. But if you roleplay someone who is shy or quiet or wary of other people, you're likely to be left alone.
    • Don't be openly evil. If you walk into the tavern and start murdering npcs, you are unlikely to make a lot of friends and very likely to get jumped on by a bunch of PCs who were looking for a fight.
    • Consider starting low-powered. It's tempting in a freeform system with no scores or points to decide that your character is the best at everything, but where will they go from there? They can always gain powers or magic items or skills as they go on.
    • Don't be too needy. Remember in ffrp, you are not THE hero of the story. You are A hero, and there are many stories. The characters you meet at first are likely to be involved in their own affairs. Some players start by having their character immediately in need of rescue, healing, training, attention, etc. This can work well, but make sure you have a plan B in case there is no one willing to drop everything to devote themselves to being your rescuer! Can your character make it if they receive only a minimal amount of help, or none at all?
    • Don't be too self-sufficient. Remember in ffrp, you are not THE hero of the story. You are A hero, and there are many stories. If you are a combat powerhouse and a healer and a master of obscure lore and a spellcaster, people are likely to get weary of their characters taking a back seat to yours and decide you can do just fine without them.
    • Be aware of deadtimes and real life. Sometimes, not many people are online and active. Sometimes the people who are may only have a limited time to play and want to use it to progress their favorite storyline instead of meeting new people. Try to be patient and remember that it won't be long before you'll be the one wrapped up in your own favorite storylines. Talk to people in the ooc thread while you wait for your character to get 'stuck in'.
    • Have fun! Remember this is a game, and if it isn't fun, you aren't doing it right.

Note: This is the OOC thread. Not a roleplaying thread. That's what the actual roleplaying threads and SMBG are for.

Nexus Character Directory

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [NEXUS] OOC 17: This Title For Rent

I actually did have a Drow paladin character in one 4e game... which died, unfortunately.

Problem with PbP games, people.

Basically, she was raised in the Church of Bahamut. Then again, I love playing races in a twist from the norm. Or two twists, in this case.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

How about a half-drow gestalt ninja/sorceress who got her necromancy spells from a holy book of Wee Jas?

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's just ridiculous.

By the way, how much does the thread title go for?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I hadn't really thought of bringing Catten into the NEXUS - not sure what I'd do with her. She's fun to play in an actual system because I get to beat on things and generally have amazing rolls - like not being knocked out by an orc sneak attack club to the back of the head when completely unarmed and unarmored, and instantly breaking out of full rope-bindings pretty much just by flexing.

Also, her awesome hammer that causes earthquakes/shock-waves and makes the noise of thunder when it hits.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Rhyan isn't amused at being called ridiculous.

And the thread title goes for the price of one ICBs post?

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

*Extends finger cautiously*

*pokes Darklord*

*scurries off*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey all! Aside from the new thread, what've I missed?
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nothing of any real consequence I suspect.

Though the Cobalt Knight is looking to shoot one of your cute bugs in the face.

We'll see how that goes.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Whatever happened to that Magnificent Seven plot that Flash Rah was planning?
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting at SAINT for all members, former and current, and all contract holders, for those wishing to attend. You can start showing up now and stuff and the actual meeting will start tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Nothing of any real consequence I suspect.

Though the Cobalt Knight is looking to shoot one of your cute bugs in the face.

We'll see how that goes.
    Oh joy! That'll definitely help the aliens to realize that there's more than just a bunch of savage monkeys living on this planet!

You have to remember, their brains work differently, so they don't quite understand that the buildings and stuff are a sign of intelligence.

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

13. - Top - End - #13

The Cobalt Knight isn't at all racist when it comes to various kinds of Fleshlings.

They're all despicable things that shed disgusting dead flesh all over everything they touch.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, the consumers don't shed.

(Recaiden) He lives!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Ugh, what a night. >.<

Don't expect to hear much from me this weekend; I'm pretty busy.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

*pokes rebonack to inside*
    Come on, man! We got stuff to do, man! I'm delicious, man!

(Recaiden) He lives!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [NEXUS] OOC 17: This Title For Rent

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    Hey all! Aside from the new thread, what've I missed?
    Several posts in the Ogre's Lair

*Thunder*

I unfortunately won't be here much either, homework and sickness makes Keveak a kablowsky Kobold.
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2011-03-26 at 04:44 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

...so, a pumpkin-headed assassin is going after the Objects?

As much as it's meant to be serious, I couldn't help cracking up at What taking a card out of his pocket to answer the question. XD

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #19

Something just occurred to me.

WATCHTOWER is meant to stop apocalyptic stuff.

TS' consumer things are presently trying to terraform the Nexus or some such.

Wouldn't that count as an apocoplawt?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Silly Rebo, Watch can only handle one Apocalypse related thing at a time.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Something just occurred to me.

WATCHTOWER is meant to stop apocalyptic stuff.

TS' consumer things are presently trying to terraform the Nexus or some such.

Wouldn't that count as an apocoplawt?
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!

An excuse for my idiot fey to melt things with his plasma weaponry!

@GhaRPG: Says you.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2011-03-26 at 03:02 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I had no idea something like this was going on. *shrug*
    Also, I wonder just what it would take for Ilpholin to realize KR isn't into her. <.<
    Last edited by Morty; 2011-03-26 at 03:25 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

National Park

What hadn't a clue how fast the guy would move when the blow finally came, but he had a fairly decent idea of where he would be hit. The archaic deity might find himself punching past some soft mushy pumpkin, and right into a pair of tightly bound railroad spikes.

That's right. What set a trap for the God, right inside his own head.

And he's not done yet. Expecting his adversary to still be reeling after shoving his knuckles into jagged spikes, What swings his sickle, intent on taking the deity's other wrist with it. Were he not mute, he'd likely be laughing hysterically and throwing all sorts of foul jeers and insults at Thor as he does so.
    Crowning Moment of Badass.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

What Pumpkin is rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters on here. His crazy bloodlust that, for once, doesn't involve cliched ramblings or barbarian insult-spewing.

And now he weaponized the inside of his own skull.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Personally, I had no idea something like this was going on. *shrug*
    Also, I wonder just what it would take for Ilpholin to realize KR isn't into her. <.<
    It'd probably take KR to stop leading her on and just tell her.
    Clearly she should do it while Ilpholin is offering one of her nicest and most thoughtful gifts that she could think of. Cause that won't end badly.
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maxios? I'm reasonably sure you can't just buy Objects..... Well, this is the Nexus, so I guess you technically can, but it seems to me that it's rather poor sportsmanship to do so, as all the other Seekers risk their lives for every Object.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Er, yeah. Objects are the one thing even Erin's won't sell...

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's also the fact that they make the owner's obsessed with them, and the vast majority of Seekers would die rather then give one up.......
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh. I couldn't figure out a way to get The Courier one, so I simply had him buy one.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

30. - Top - End - #30

Each Object comes with their own method for getting them. It's right in their page, along with what they do and how they look. You could just ask someone nicely to DM it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi