New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [BitP:R] Gaiden: I refuse to say goodbye! Hasunaga's reward to Sayaka

[Houheiden Shrine, the weekend]

It's been a few days since the kids met at the Venti Buon. A teenager, roughly fifteen or so, walks up the steps to the Houheiden Shrine. Especially for today, he's not smoking. He sports a pair of black trousers, a white button-up shirt, a black vest and black leather shoes, as well as a gray tie.

As he nears the top, he waves towards the priest. The youngster is hard to miss. Even though Haruaki is the father of a teenager himself now, he's seen that visage before. That exact same look, even though he was much younger back then.

"I'm here to pick Sayaka up, Haruaki. 12:30 sharp, as promised."

He reserved the look of disapproval. Hasunaga was trying not to show he already knew Sayaka was going away. But he worked at school, and she was his student - it was impossible for him not to know.

Today wasn't the day for discussing such matters, however.

He didn't ask about the girl either. He had known her enough through those years as her teacher that he wouldn't expect her to be late.

"And just to remind you, this is not a date. Try not to embarass her too much with that kind of joke, alright? Even though I get the feeling you must have done plenty of that last night and this morning."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] Gaiden: I refuse to say goodbye! Hasunaga's reward to Sayaka

Haruaki is in his priest clothes today. Resting on a broom, he comes to look at Hasuanaga with a strange smile. It is a nostalgic look.

"Yes, it is 12:30. Always you are on time. If it was anyone else, probably I would chase them away from my daughter. But you have been a friend since... I was the same age."

He laughs.
    "You will have to teach me that trick sometime." Haruaki says. He turns to face the house.
    "Sayaka! There's a visitor for you!" He calls to the house. Then he returns to sweeping.
    "Don't worry about date joking." He says to Hasunaga with mischievous grin. "I didn't tell her that you were coming."

Sayaka steps outside in strange appearance. Always her hair is same style over shoulder and hairclip accessory, but today she wears casual clothes. To see not shrine maiden uniform or school uniform is rare. She protects bright sunlight with her hand, and puts on sandals.

A small frown comes when she sees the Hasunaga.
    "Um, excuse me. Do I know you?" She asks cautiously. She looks at her father. He nods.

"Don't tell me you forgot him? He's a very important person. Anyway, you two should have a good time! Please be back for dinner!" Haruaki says patting Sayaka's head lightly. Sayaka looks confused.

"What?" She looks at the Hasunaga teenager with flustered panic expression.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] Gaiden: I refuse to say goodbye! Hasunaga's reward to Sayaka

"Thanks, Haruaki-kun."

Hasunaga waited for Sayaka's arrival. Indeed, there was something more than a little interesting in her casual look. He'd practically seen her growing up; but to her, he'd always been the old man Hasunaga-sensei. Only recently did she find out about what his nature as a medium did to him.

"I promised I'd reward you, didn't I? Let's go. We've got plenty to do before dinnertime."

His voice... even considering how it changes during the teenage years, the raspy quality it had was hard to mistake.

He offered his arm in a classic western gentleman's pose.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

When Sayaka looks away from Hasunaga teenager, Haruaki is gone.
    She looks at Hasunaga again. The voice and promise makes her think. She still looks surprised.
    "Mr. Hasunaga?" She asks suspiciously. But Sayaka takes his arm with embarrassed look on her face. "Where are we going?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

"First of all, we're going to a patisserie. Good place, they have an ice cream buffet there too." Hasunaga chimes with some enthusiasm. "Then, after that... I dunno. The movies, maybe? Or would you rather go to an amusement park? We could also go to a karaoke."

As he walks with the girl, his tone grows a little more serious. "You've been working really hard to ensure that your friends and loved ones aren't hurt. To ensure they have peaceful lives. Today, I'm treating you to some of the life you're helping them enjoy. We can talk about whatever you want, laugh about whatever you want, cry about whatever you want. Today is Sayaka Appreciation Day."
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-10-27 at 08:13 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"A-A date?! With teenage mr. Hasunaga?"
    It is a feeling like to fall down stairs of Houheiden shrine. Sayaka's face is red as she looks away. To try avoid to look at Hasunaga.

She is very quiet until they sit at patisserie shop. Of course to stare at the table with quiet feeling. Sometimes she looks at Hasunaga.
    "I don't understand." She says quietly.
    "I don't have a 'normal life.' I never had such a thing. But I was never embarrassed about my family life. Not until I became a junior high school student." She sighs.
    "My mother lives in Izumo. My sister went with her when I entered junior high school. Maybe...that's when things became difficult. I saw my friends playing. but I had work."

She looked at Hasunaga then the patisserie shop. "I can see the real world. I can see the whole world. But it means I never can life in 'normal world.'

Because that world isn't true. It's just an illusion world."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

"I wouldn't call it a 'date'. Not in the original sense of the word. Think of it as two friends enjoying themselves together instead. Like I said, today is Sayaka Appreciation Day." Hasunaga noted. "I thought it would be best if I had this appearance, since it would look weird if you went out with an old man. Sorry if it embarassed you."

As they arrived at the patisserie, he listened to her. "Illusion and reality are in the eye of the beholder. One who cannot tell them apart cannot be told what an illusion is. And everyone's vision of reality is different too. But just because there are many different people and many different ways to see reality doesn't mean you can't see it through someone else's eyes for once." The teacher in him was speaking up again. "Anyway, just try to enjoy yourself for today. I will consider it to have been a good day if I can see one of my dearest students smile like she deserves to smile."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka looks surprised. She is still self-conscious.
    "N-no. It's ok. I didn't think that Mr. Hasunaga. Ah. Well. I-I guess."

She eats silently. Then realizes it was said. "Dearest students? But I... I've only been in your class for a few days."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

"I've considered you my student for longer than that, Sayaka. Ever since you entered school. I've watched you grow up into an intelligent and caring young lady. So those few days may as well have been years." Hasunaga offered with a contented smile. "Can I have another chocolate millefieule, please? Thank you."

Come to think of it, her teacher sure did eat a lot of sweets. It didn't look like an adult diet.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka

"Ah... I. I had to grow up quickly." Sayaka answers. "When my family became broken, I had to grow up."
    Sayaka looked at the pastries with a frown expression. She gave the plate to mr. Hasunaga.

"You like sweets very much don't you?" She asked. "When you are at Venti Buon, you eat many sweets too."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

"Growing up too quickly isn't good. People are like flowers - if picked before their prime, they wilt that much faster." Hasunaga noted. "You should take as much time as you can to enjoy as much of your life as you can, each and every year."

At her question, Hasunaga blushed a little bit. Funny that something so simple could cause a man like him to be embarassed. "Yes, I really do. Some of it is practical though. My body doesn't produce Reiryoku naturally like other mediums. Instead, it converts energy from the food I eat. Sweets replenish it faster, so I eat a lot of them. It's one of the reasons my body acts the way it does when I use my powers.

In theory, if I stopped using my powers altogether, my body would eventually grow used to acting like a regular, human body, and I'd age more normally. But I can't do that."
    Hasunaga noted.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"You have never been a student?" Sayaka bluntly asks. "I wake up at 5:30. Then I do chores and make breakfast. Then I go to school. At 16:30 I come home from school and do shrine's work. Then I make dinner. Then it is homework. If there is no supernatural incident, I practice ritual and talisman writing.

I thought maybe to join Japanese Archery club, if I have free time."

Sayaka looks concerned. "Spiritual energy is from your soul. Your body shouldn't matter. Eating food is for the body, not the soul. What do you mean about other mediums?"

Then she narrows her eyes and stands up.
    "You are not human."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

"Not really. I mean, I had been for a while, but then the war came." Only one war comes to mind when he says that...

"I think you can tell better than that." Hasunaga replied. "I AM human. A spiritually-sensitive one, yes, but a human nonetheless. I've never been able to find a sufficiently good explanation for this; all I know is that my body acts the way it does."

He gestures for Sayaka to sit down. "You know how different mediums have different powers and skills, right? You've trained your spirit to purify and protect. Nakahiro-kun injects his powers into objects. Watanabe-kun uses telekinesis. I've even met some mediums who can use their power to directly strengthen their bodies, increasing their muscle tone and so forth.

My body's the same, more or less. When my power flows through me, it rejuvenates my cells, turning back my biological clock years at a time. If my body produced Reiryoku on its own, I would continually regress until there was nothing left, because eventually I would not be able to contain it.

Sayaka. Some things defy explanation. You of all people should know that spiritual matters are not cut and dry science; some things happen without rhyme or reason."
    He scratched the back of his head. "Sorry... I guess I'm not the most adequate person to get you to relax after all, huh?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka

Sayaka realized others were looking. She sits down.
    "That's not correct. I'm not a medium like Mr. Watanabe or Mr. Go. They use spiritual energy as a special ability. Shrine maidens harmonize inner and outer spiritual energy. Harmonizing energy takes effort and time. That's why we use tools, like talisman, which are prepared before. Or to use prayers to gods."

She sighs.
    "You are correct. Recently there are youkai difficulties disguising to be human too. Sorry to become angry with you."

Sayaka looks down.
    "I'm unskilled at relaxing. Sorry Mr. Hasunaga. Recently it's very stressful for me. I... I must tell you. I'm transferring from school. My father will send me to Izumo to attend private academy. Even though I just started." She looks at unfinished parfait with sad smile. She offers it to Mr. Hasunaga.

"Here."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

"It's okay. You take your job very seriously, after all.

And actually... I already knew. Your father called the school to deal with the paperwork. Word got around, so."
    Hasunaga sighed softly.

"You should try anyway. I don't think you'll actually be gone for good." The teacher offered with a sad smile of his own. "I don't think what your father is doing is fair to you. This is not a decision that's his to make. Your friends, your memories, the things you love. They're in this town, your father included. I feel like simply letting you go like that... would be a huge mistake."

He looks down at the parfait. "You've always thought about what needed to be done. But how many times have you asked yourself what you wanted to do? What you wanted to see, hear, smell, taste and experience. You're a kind child, and that is precisely why I do not think your efforts should go unrewarded.

Eat it, even if you don't feel hungry. I promise, little by little, it'll make you feel better.

I suggest we try to talk about something else. How about, say... books. Is there a kind of book you like?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know." Sayaka said. She ate some parfait.
    "Of books, I like supernatural and romantic comedy books. But I don't have very much time for reading." She said.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2011-11-05 at 09:39 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

"Supernatural and romantic comedy, hmmm?" Hasunaga seemed to be brewing a thought in the back of his mind. But he didn't say much on the subject.

"Nobody has the time to read nowadays. Not unless they do something else as well. A lot of my students read on the way to school or when they're having breakfast, for example.

When you finish your parfait, we're going to a bookstore."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka

Sayaka is eating last of parfait. "Bookstore?" She asks in surprise. "O-Ok, Mr. Hasunaga." She says, still with confusion.

Leaving the restaurant, Sayaka looks at Mr. Hasunaga while walking.
    "Why the bookstore?" She asks. "I don't have very much money to buy books..."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

"Don't be silly, I'm buying you some books." Hasunaga replied casually. "I told you, today is Sayaka Appreciation Day. I want you to have fun and enjoy yourself. I want to reward you for your hard work. Okay?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka

Sayaka tries to smile ruefully. "Ok, ok. I understand." She finishes eating the parfait.
    They pay and leave the patisserie shop and walk towards the bookstore. Of course Sayaka is still a little uncertain to walk with boy like this. But she seems more relaxed now.
    "What kind of book do you like?" She asked curiously.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

"Promise you won't laugh? I'm a bit more into manga, myself." Hasunaga admitted. "Not that I don't like books. Hemingway is one of my favorite authors, though I do think his characters drink a little too much. I like supernatural books too, and mythology. I've been getting into a fun little series called Discworld lately."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka

"I don't know those books." Sayaka said. "I guess it seems the character of mr. Hasunaga to like comics." She says. But to look at Hasunaga, Sayaka blushes and looks away. Suddenly they have approached the bookstore.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry I don't know what to write.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No worries. Ore ni makasete.

"I know full well I don't act my age, Sayaka-chan." He jested with the honorific. Clearly he was making a play at his being older than he appeared currently.

"It's a fantasy comedy series. Nothing ever gets taken that seriously, and it's fun and light-hearted. But it has its more grown-up moments too." Hasunaga replies. "I really enjoy old manga, however, particularly '80s manga. Hajime no Ippo is one of my personal favorites. I think it should be a mandatory read for most people: it teaches a lot about one's determination.

But you would know determination, wouldn't you? I heard how hard you fought with the other kids. If you weren't there, things would have been one heck of a lot worse."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka

Sayaka shook her head. "I helped make a compass for him. And then I helped to fight and destroy hollows. I don't think it was determination." She frowns. "I just wanted to help. But I betrayed my training and teaching. Is that good?" She shakes her head.

"No. Maybe my father is wrong sometimes. But he is right about many things too. I am a connection to the divine in our world. I have responsibilities I shouldn't betray."
    She looked at Hasunaga.

"I am to walk a middle line. That's the path to make a balance. I helped save the lives of some. Izumi's sister, Mr. Watanabe's parents, and Ren's little sister. But I helped destroy spirits also, and I didn't stop my friends from that. Maybe it seems ok at the time. But now?"

She looked ahead.
    "Mr. Watanabe wants to make the group like a military. He wants to defend everyone with his powers. But he doesn't think of me and others as friends. Even if we help him, we are just useful. A tool is useful."

She sighs.

"I am not a Quincy. This sect is about neutrality. To balance and find harmony. Hollows exist for reasons that aren't human fault. Youkai also. This is a world full of spirits and things. To destroy any of it is not ok. But especially it cannot become a war of humans. That is just arrogance of humans."

"But what can I do? I can't stop classmates from fighting. I can't teach them anything. I've tried! That first night I was too weak to protect them in the school. If I could have, maybe none of this would have happened.
    I can't do by myself. The gods I serve to won't allow it. Shrine Maidens are tools. Maybe my sister would disagree of that. But it is true. I have responsibilities too. So you can say determination, but if I knew determination, I think I could find more answers."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

"There are two very important things you're forgetting, Sayaka.

The first is that you are human. Flesh and blood, and as such, capable of feeling and failing. You say you've betrayed what you've been taught and what you believe in - but could you really have just stood still while your friends were suffering like that? You may blame yourself and doubt yourself, but I think you did the right thing. And many do not have the strength of character to do so when it matters; they'd rather think it's not their problem. That's determination.

The second important thing is that if answers were easy to find, there wouldn't be any questions. I can't really tell you what you should do, because your life isn't mine. I can try to guide you and counsel you, and that's the best possibility for me. I don't walk the same path you do, and as such, my advice will be limited. But there is one thing you should always know."

At this point, Hasunaga stops and points at Sayaka's chest - more specifically, her heart.

"As long as you follow your heart, you won't feel regret. It is a human, imperfect thing, but it is our feelings that make up our conscience. I think you should be more proud of your actions. Would it make you a little less of a shrine maiden? Perhaps.

But if I were in the stead of the gods, I could not respect someone without a heart."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am sorry for slow posting. It is busy, and I was also sick.

Sayaka looked at Hasunaga with some surprise. He was giving very direct advice to her.

Of course if answers were easy, there wouldn't be any questions. Was Sayaka asking a question? Maybe the question is [how can I protect my friends and not betray myself?]

It was good advice maybe. Wasn't she following her heart? If she wasn't following her heart, she should follow her heart more often.

"Pride is childish and arrogant. It tries to raise self above others."
    Sayaka said. She points at Hasunaga's chest - more specifically, his heart.

"If you place yourself in position of the gods, I could not respect you. But please don't speak about the gods. It's my life. I'm a shrine maiden. I can't change this.

I don't want to change it. You see, if I help friends using power of the gods, it involves gods in the affair. But there is not a conflict of gods and hollows. They don't want this kind of story."

She stops and looks a little less troubled.
    "But, if I follow my heart and don't regret it, then maybe some things are worth repent and purification. That's a dangerous thought though. I have to be very careful.

Maybe... going away will help. I'll be training. But maybe if I come back, I will have some answers."

She bravely smiles.
    "Thank you for your advice."
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2011-11-26 at 08:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Not at all! I'm just happy to see you post.

"I can't speak for the gods, but I for one would very much like to see that." Hasunaga replies. "That is the heart I've come to admire in you, Sayaka. You're a gentle and kind soul. So don't hesitate. If you believe you can do the right thing, if you trust yourself, then you will have no regrets. There will be consequences to your actions - there always are - but they won't weight your heart down."

Hasunaga smiled as he offered his arm for her to take going into the bookstore.

"I don't suppose you're familiar with an author by the name of Jules Verne?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka looked at the arm of Hasunaga.
    So really it is a date.
    She looks sideways at Hasunaga's face.
    Maybe if he looks like this, it is ok.
    She touches his arm and together enter the bookstore. It is a large store with many shelves of books.

"I have never heard of Jules Verne." Sayaka replied.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Hasunaga had picked this appearance precisely so she wouldn't be embarassed. Apparently he wasn't doing a very good job...

"Seriously? Geez, what do they have you kids reading these days?

Well... You see, Jules Verne liked to write about fantastical trips. He wrote books about travelling to the most unusual places, some of which mankind hasn't reached yet. They may not necessarily be your favorite kind of read, but I recommend them anyway."

Once they're in the bookstore, Hasunaga moves towards the science fiction section. Once there, he grabs three books: 20.000 Leagues Under The Sea, Voyage to the Center of the Earth, and the first volume of Vampire Hunter D.

"I think you'll like Vampire Hunter D the best, though. It has plenty of supernatural elements even though it is more of a science fiction blend. Besides, the main character actually 'feels' like a vampire. None of that sparkly crap they have nowadays."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Sayaka

Sayaka frowned. "I can't read English." She made the protest. "Is science fiction interesting for you?" Sayaka asks.
    "I don't like science fiction. Science and supernatural are very different. Maybe it is true science has done many good things for humans. But supernatural is the true nature of our world." Sayaka looks at the books.
    "But supernatural books mostly are fake too." She admits.
    Holding the books of Mr. Hasunaga, Sayaka wonders when she would read them. She looked at Mr. Hasunaga sideways. It is important to politely endure. Even if Mr. Hasunaga was giving extra reading assignment to her.

"Are you married, Mr. Hasunaga?" Suddenly she asks.