New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [BitP:R] Episode 12 - Burning Hatred

[Somewhere in the Mortal World...]

In the distance, a cloud of dust and fire is thrown up and a moment later a loud boom echoes across the sandy streets. Howls of pain and sounds of guns firing fill the air as a form dressed in white walks casually past wartorn buildings and burning wreckages of armored vehicles.

Images flash by the traveller's eyes as he moves forward. Weapons of war have changed, but the feel of the battleground is all too familiar. It is in scenes like these that he had diead a thousands deaths, or more. Some of them, many in fact, had happened on this very soil. How long had morals held their futile struggle over this piece of land? How much more blood would need to soil this so-called holy ground before they would cease?

Wars of the living are different from those of spirits. In the mindless slaughter the relative frailty of mortal coil is made all too apparent - destruction sowed by their armaments is well on par with abilities of ghostly or divine origin, but their bearers are not blessed with iron skin and intangibility of the white wanderer. As he walks past a tank that has driven to a mine, he duly notes that even steel shelters they've made to shield themselves aren't enough to keep them safe from the terrors they've birthed.

In the distance, he can hear a cry - but from the sound of it, he knows whoever made it is no longer among the living. Such a miserable fate - to be brought here, to serve as the sword of others, only to fall down in a struggle perpetuated by petty grudges and malice born from thoughtlessness. And in death, the spirit would soon forget all other reasons - a natural birthplace for lost souls driven by hatred and vengeance. The wanderer had seen many on his way here - they had burned to ashes before him like dry leaves, their spectral bodies unable to own up to their bloodlust towards him. They had barely been enough to mend surface wounds from his time in the White Sands.

But now, he has his sights set on something different. There, above the battlefield it basks, shade cast by its massive bulk unseen to mortal eyes, yet for the wanderer it nearly blocks out the hot midday sun. It is clearly something out of the world they're in, yet it could not be more at home. Silently it revels in the chaos around, or maybe it is its cause - who knows?

Lalita Tandon smirks. So, you exist after all? He'd left Miss Canguro behind to take a look at this sacred place, but he hadn't even imagined he'd run afoul of such a beast. It makes him happier of his decision - he's uncertain of whether she could've been able to survive what is coming.

With wind and fire wheels in his hands, the man observes silently, wating if the beast will notice him.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] Episode 12 - Burning Hatred

The creature "nests" high above one of the few buildings that haven't been riveted with bullets, shrapnel or soot. It is almost as though its very presence repelled the gruesome consequences of its namesake, and it looked with a mild appearance of disinterest.

For lack of a better word, it looked... bored.

It had been so since the invention of 19th century firearms, or more specifically, the Gatling Gun. War felt as though being able to take multiple lives at the pull of a single trigger or the push of a button cheapened the glory it had been emblazoned with in ages past. Men had fought for many silly reasons in the past - it could specifically recall this one time they fought over telegraph posts and escalated into WWI - but they all seemed to fill themselves with a sense of purpose and identity that somehow amused the beast. By the time Project Manhattan reached its peak, War decreed itself at the height of boredom. It was like killing garden variety ants with a flamethrower, and as fun as it can be to watch the insects squirm in agony, it gets old pretty fast since none arise to avenge the fallen.

So it's not that Lalita doesn't get noticed - the Decima can clearly spy War's gaze shortly lingering upon him, then drifting back to the battle itself - , but the leonine-looking Horse doesn't even blink or address him.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Lalita snorts as the beast briefly glances down on him, then looks away. Apparently it's too lost in thought to even consider the possibility that the conflict around could touch it. The Arrancar doesn't hesitate - he'd been searching for something to truly test himself against. It's time to see if his time in the desert has paid off.

Crimson flames alight along the protrusions from the two wheels, the air around them shimmering as if subjected to great heat. The Arrancar non-chalantaly lifts them before his face, pointing them towards the beast - there's a screeching sound as three bright red embers fly through the air with immense speed in search of their target. Soon they are followed by another three, and then another, cutting the air like a volley of tracer bullets.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

The beast merely lifts a large, heavy paw and bats the wheels away like naughty children. It displays significant speed for a creature of its size - Lalita might note the form was fairly blurry as War deflected his attacks. Finally, it turns its snout half-heartedly towards the arrancar and rested its chin on top of a paw in an incredibly human gesture for a creature with no human features.

Well, child? Is that any way to greet? If you want anything out of me, it is only polite to speak up first.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The Arrancar doesn't bother replying. Instead, he keeps firing more and more of the bullet-like flames towards the beast, now aiming at its eyes since it turned its head towards him. The beast's hide might be tough, but he isn't conviced it won't yield under a relentless barrage.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Lalita is actually forgetting something much more basic. War is ON FIRE. His attacks end up tantamount to trying to put it out with gasoline.

Are you going somewhere with this? War offered with a tone that suggested puzzlement. Lalita can tell the only reason it deflected the first few strikes was the blade of his wheels.

As it stands, it will quickly dawn on the Decima that he is in severe disadvantage against this particular foe, at least as far as his current choice of tactics goes.

You don't honestly believe I move for just about any upstart who attacks me out of the blue, or that I would take a Rider that didn't so much as introduce himself, do you? Even War has protocol.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The beast might be on fire, but the crimson luminence is not just ordinary flames - it's Reiatsu, condensed into a solid form. But as the blast richochet away from the beast's hide time after time, the Arrancar decides it's time to up the ante. There's the distinct hum of Sonido as he slides backwards, facing the best all the while. Lalita lifts his left wheel into a guard while keeping the other pointed at the beast. Red lines crawl through the air, converging into a spiraling orb, before exploding forward in a conical shape, striking towards the head of the beast with the force of a battering ram.

"Cero."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Now that's more like it.

The voice echoes into Lalita's mind from within a thick column of smoke where his Cero hit. The soldiers around it pay no mind, believing it to be just a stray mortar they did not hear over the gunfire.

The beast is finally on its feet, slowly walking towards the Decima. It is unclear exactly what happened; the Cero detonated and brought up the smoke before he could see what War's reaction was.

But at least now he's being taken seriously.

You should know I will not yield without knowing your name, Arrancar.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The Arrancar examines the beast's face as it steps out of the wreckage, searching for any cracks or gaps in its armor. "People keep asking that as if it's something that matters", he replies bluntly, shifting his stance as he start walking backwards and to his left, circling the beast and keeping it a healthy distance away.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

The Beast looks... scoffed, at best. A little dirty, perhaps. Everything suggests it prematurely detonated Lalita's Cero in order to minimize the damage.

It IS important. Though not for the reasons you'd think. War replies. The name of an Arrancar is often self-given. As such, it is one of its greatest forms of individuality. Knowing your name will let me know if I'd let you Ride me whether you defeat me or not.

Apparently, the combat alone does not suffice to tame it. Though it is strange for War of all Horses to suggest an alternate method, it is not unfeasible. For some reason it seems to feel as though Lalita is taking a much more wasteful path than necessary.

From a Horse that is all about rage and negative emotions, it may be unexpected to seek wisdom. Yet it seems to be offering the Decima all the same.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The Arrancar scoffs. "Lalita Tandon. There." Then, he sprints to the side of the beast - only to change direction abruptly, using thin air as a foothold to jump above the beast, then changing direction again to slam his heel against the back of the beast.

"You have a name."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    The Arrancar scoffs. "Lalita Tandon. There." Then, he sprints to the side of the beast - only to change direction abruptly, using thin air as a foothold to jump above the beast, then changing direction again to slam his heel against the back of the beast.

"You have a name."
    Indeed, things are as they should be.

I must commend you on your sense of strategy. You noticed my blind spot. Sadly...

You were not the first one.

Just as the heel is coming down, War's flames flare up fiercely in what nearly amounts to a pocket explosion. Even if Lalita pierces through the flames, he'll find only the flames were left behind as the beast dodged.

Sonido. Naturally.

On the plus side, at least he actually made the beast move this time; it's an improvement to say the least.

Fantocchio di Fiamma.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a resounding crash and dust billows up as Lalita's feet smash to the ground. Hems and sleeves of his clothes are somewhat singed and he's missing his eyebrows, but otherwise the blast doesn't seem to have injured him in the slightest.

He sprints forwards, circling towards the beast. Demonic screeching fills the air again as each step is accompanied by a crimson flash shooting towards the head and eyes of the beast. The Arrancar's aim seems to be to get to the side of the beast again.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

It seems the 'upstart' is in good shape. War seems to retain its composure as Lalita aims for head and eyes. It merely sways to the side; though the weapons still graze the beast, they don't seem to hit anywhere vital. Still, it gives Lalita the opening he needs to get on the side.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

A trail of sparkles is left on the air as the Arrancar runs around the left front leg of the beast, then turns sharply and leaps towards the joint of the beast's leg. He'd spied how the armorplates of the beast join together, how they moved when it had sped to the side, in search of a weak point. Now he punches hard with his right wheel, seeking to embed sharp prongs of his weapon where the limb is attached to the body.

But that's just part of his attack - even if succesful, a mere punch wouldn't be much more than a surface wound. Painful, maybe, but decisive only in the long run if at all - and the Arrancar isn't keen on letting things drag.

So, he has a more devious plan. Even as he flies towards the beast's side like a dart, blood red energy flows along the shape of his weapon. At the moment he wounds his enemy, he seeks to ignite a Cero right under its tough hide.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

A sound tactic...

Lalita barely manages to graze his opponent's hide before an explosion of flame shoots from the beast's form. It sends the beast itself flying to the side with a dull roar, but the wound the Arrancar provoked seems superficial.

...but your persistance in trying to hit the same blind spot gave you away.

Fuga Esplosiva.

Surely if you desire this power you must have realized by now how a flame must be used. And if you know that, you know how I fight.

The mere fact I'm older than anything you know and control flame should have already told you this much.

The beast curls up for a moment as the air distorts with heat. Out of its mouth shoots an orb of vermillion setting a path of flame as it flies towards the Arrancar.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The first explosion of flame is countered wholly by a simultaneous blast of crimson. His plan might not have worked, but the Arrancar hardly lets his charged Cero go to waste. He hops back for some distance, watching the beast as it continues its mental bragging, giving it a disinterested glare. As the beast prepares its attack, he's already on the move - a burst of speed carries him far out of the orb's way, leaving it to continue its path through ruined buildings behind him.

He doesn't stop to catch his breath. He runs towards the beast, again in a broad circle, ascending as if climbing invisible stairs all the while. It seems he's trying to get above and behind the beast, though it has ample time to turn around and face him should it want to.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

The mental 'bragging' has good reason. Lalita is becoming very predictable; with each repeated strike he has accomplished little by this point.

The beast doesn't turn around, but then again it doesn't look like it needs to; judging from how it countered Lalita's first attempt to get to its back, at least.

War's tail whips around in Lalita's direction with great speed, though it doesn't seem intent on lashing at him - or at least, if it is, the beast has miscalculated the range. The intent becomes clearer as it shoots a volley of small fireballs in the Arrancar's direction repeatedly, while a bigger orb of vermillion charges up from the back of its head and shoots at Lalita while he's busy with the smaller attacks.

Regardless of hitting, the explosion propels the beast forward in an elegant arc again.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Each of the small fireballs is countered by bolts of deeper red striking them from the sky before they can touch the Arrancar. He gets directly behind the beast just as the greater blast is launched. The beast doesn't see what happens next as the vermillion blast obscures him from sight. When it comes to a stop, it might notice the flame is still continuing its way up to the sky - but there's no trace of the Arrancar, not even faintest hint of his presence - it's as if he's vanished from the face of earth.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Yet there's no such thing as full invisibility. Lalita has to be somewhere, even if the beast can't feel him; and if the Arrancar has any sense, he'll mount the most appropriate strategy to strike.

But War is not intend on waiting.

The Horse raises its head and growls ferociously, a sound that would put any lion's roar to shame. Even the soldiers fighting around him seem to hear it somehow.

Then, a visible pulse of energy begins to beat from the core of the beast. It's faint at first, merely an outline of blood-red over its features, but the glow begins to increase in intensity. With each beat, it grows more uniform and distinct, until it picks up speed.

Suddenly, a dome of flame roughly three times War's length in radius erupts and begins to expand, one pulse at a time. The flames are intense enough to melt rock and scorch the earth - almost as if War intended to surround itself with lava. And still it grows...

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

The process is interruted by a sound like a pane of glass shattering - expect that "glass" is the very fabric of space separating one world from another as it's torn apart below the beast's belly, the Arrancar crashing back to the world of the living like a humanoid thunderbolt, seeking to ram both of his weapons deep into the beast's gut as well as lift it high into the air with his momentum.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Well, it's time for good news and bad news.

The good news is that Lalita's gambit works beautifully. The weapons embed themselves into the beast's thick hide and lift it up high. He can tell he got a really good hit in, even though the beast isn't spasming in pain or anything of the sort.

The bad news is that it apparently bleeds lava.

It's been a while since someone landed this kind of hit on me. You can be proud of yourself by now!

War curls up into a ball, wrapping its large limbs around the Arrancar so as to try and trap it against the incandescent wound. It howls again, and even up in the air, Lalita can feel the heat increase - very soon it will be pulsing with flame once again, and he'll be at the epicenter.

On the plus side, apparently the lava-blood won't harden this close to the beast, so he can still move... provided his Hierro can withstand it enough.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

The air around the Arrancar blazes with bright light, his Reiatsu grown to such intensity it is turning from crimson to light-red and even white. The weight of his spirit creates a thermal shield of cooler air around him, but nonetheless his clothes are burning away and exposed skin on his face and arms is becoming darker akin to heated copper. His zanpakuto wheels turn blue from the heat as the lava drips on them, and he has to let go of them, blistering burn marks oozing with ichor on his palms.

Which suits him just fine.

As the beast wraps around him, he squeezes his hands into fists, hard enough for his fingernails to draw blood. When its massive limbs try to crush him against its bulks, he opens his palms and throws his hand against its side, on both sides of the lava-dripping wound to keep himself arm-lenght away from it. Smoke rises from his hands... but so do lines of crackling, dark energy as the air ripples not just from heat, but from the weight of an attack capable of distorting dimensions.

"Gran Rey Cero."

KA-BOOM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Gran Rey Lancia di Fiamma.

The lava suddenly writhes as though it had a life of its own, and jagged spears shoot out from the wound with ludicrous speed, piercing at the Arrancar's hands and torso in turn even as Lalita unleashes the dimension-distorting blast.

The resulting explosion separates the two fighters. War looks quite winded at this point; though the wound seems to slowly seal itself closed from the magma, it is obvious the creature has taken severe damage.

Yet its pride seems to sustain it. The Horse seems intent on not yielding, and its opponent has been severely wounded as well. It doesn't look like it will back down.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Lalita isn't thrown as far as his enemy - it seems bulk of the great Cero's force went into the beast. Still, it takes hi out of the dome of super-heated air, and he doesn't waste time getting even further from the beast, descending near a ruined building roughly three hundred yards away.

His torso is bare, all of his clothes having burned away. There are several nasty-looking, cauterized gouges on his sides - the explosion veered the needles of lava to the sides of his body, preventing them from piercing any vital organs, but his Hierro was unable to protect him from grazes. His arms are blackened almost up to his shoulders, and the sin on his hands is dry and cracked, with outermost layer flaking away like ash from surface of burned wood.

The Arrancar examines the ruins, and then yanks out a steel construction beam twice as long as he is tall, lifting it on his shoulder.

"You speak as though age matters", he says impassively. His voice might not be loud enough to carry across the distance, but he has a feeling the beast doesn't really need a physical medium to get the message. "But it means nothing. You are not stronger than me. You are not even the strongest creature I've fought in this form." A memory of hateful, yellow and bloodshot eyes burns in his mind as he watches the beast carefully, trying to predict its motions.

At the same time, the malignant luminescence around the Arrancar spreads, the air quaking under pressure. Pebbles on the ground rattle, and then start disintegrating piece by piece as the hatred radiating from the man starts eating them away.

War might notice that he's not the only one observing this display. Hollows, lost souls of those slain in recent battles are snarling at the edges of the battlefield, torn between two instincts and unsure of whether to fight or flee. On one hand, they know full well the two combatants are beyond them to defeat - but on the other, the prospect of such overwhelming power calls to them, compelling them to try and devour them to satisfy their hunger, even if it'd mean being devoured in turn.

"You're nothing I haven't seen a hundred times on the white sands. You're but a beast - and fate of beasts is to either submit to their superiors, or be slain and eaten."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

That's so adorable. It is the prerogative of youth to assume it knows everything, I suppose. War replies with a snarl that, on any other creature, would be a chuckle.

Fine. Let's get serious for a moment.

The beast becomes wreathed in flame. By itself, this is no surprise - it is when the flame turns into multiples of itself - giving the impression that there are now several of him - that things begin to get interesting. Likewise, Lalita can feel the pulse of hatred emanating from War itself: an infectious, ugly thing that creeps into the mind. While the Arrancar himself might not be affected, the Hollows surrounding them clearly are. They become aggressive, more mindless than before - as though the Horse made their choice of fight or flight for them.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

The Arrancar doesn't budge. He simply eyes the flaming copies impassively. "Know? Knowing has little to do with this", he remarks dryly. "Of all the things, only a handful matter here - skill, persistence and power. I have you beaten in at least two. Whatever wisdom you could claim to have that I don't, is irrelevant."

"I already know the only real way to win a war is to put down one's weapons. Now, I've already put down most of mine."
    Indeed, the Arrancar's zanpakuto are still stuck in the gut of the beast, most likely. "When I put down this", he continues, hefting the construction beam up like a javelin, "then this conflict is over."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I wonder if you'll put it down of your own accord?

There's something wrong. The beast doesn't... sound weakened. His voice doesn't seem to come from anywhere recognizable either.

What gives War its confidence?

Suddenly, one of the maddened Hollows lunges at a 'copy'. It disintegrates without the 'copy' ever moving, and apparently without even touching the flame itself.

The flames enveloping each one seem to flare up. Lalita can tell that they've gained... strength, somehow.

The battle of the mortals grows more intense as well.

Slowly but surely, it becomes obvious what War is doing.

It's feeding off the hatred of everyone and everything in the vicinity.

I have been defeated in the past, I'll admit. But it was never easy.

And if you honestly think you have me beat in two out of skill, perseverance and power... you're much more immature than I thought you were.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

War's actions don't come as a surprise to the Arrancar. He'd been expecting this. He'd not been kidding when he'd said he'd seen it all before - from its speed and endurance to its offensive skills, all of the beast's abilities directly parallel those of Hollows.

And not just any Hollow, but Lalita himself.

"Immature only because I've yet to reach my full potential"
    , he shouts. "If I had, I'd beat you in all three." Then he jumps directly upwards, crimson footsteps being struck in the air as he speeds towards the clouds high above, intending to leave the beast and its clones far behind.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

He isn't followed, plain and simple.

It is true that War is little more than an unique Hollow in its own right, but it is also true that even that which has been seen before can occasionally surprise you.

When Lalita soars above the clouds, all he does is pretty much offer War a cover to launch attacks from. So while it may not be surprising that he gets shot at repeatedly with very fast flame "bullets", it doesn't make it any easier to dodge or defend against them.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show