New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Sons of the Fallen (Now done, but still open to PEACH)

Since I've pretty much finished my part of the Gates of Heaven, I thought I'd dig up a much smaller project that I had let lapse and finish it up. It's not really a campaign setting, but is designed to be relatively easily integrated into an already existing campaign for a series of adventures.

Due to length, the text has been moved here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...NTfgVjWhQ/edit. Please comment or acknowledge my work; I am looking for mechanical commentary or DMs willing to use it in their campaigns.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2013-11-12 at 04:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Sons of the Fallen (WIP)

Have you ever, perchance, read the book Many Waters, by Madeleine L'Engle? It is the same series as A Wrinkle In Time. Absolutely fantastic book. This setting reminds of it, but even more so.

The Nephilim, in that book, were much more subtle than yours, which is no huge problem, but there was also a force of Seraphim working against them, and thus a need for subtlety. Their motive and means were essentially the same; they would impregnate women and have children.

The events in the book are essentially those of Noah and the Flood, and the main characters trying to repair the relationships of the other characters in order to facilitate the creation of the Ark. It's a really good book, I recommend you read it if you haven't.

Specifically for the Nephilim, though, they didn't seem to have any explicitly malevolent powers, although, again, the Seraphim were watching, but they could turn into strange beasts of power.

I absolutely love the idea and atmosphere of the setting, though.

What is the temperature and the climate like? You describe a hot and terrible sun, so do they live in what is essentially a desert? How does that affect the cultures that live there?

How has magic interacted with the respective cultures of the Raphaim and Avvim?

Also, why are the Avvim's racial statistics so freaking amazing? Are there humans, or human like beings? How are they not being overshadowed by the awesomeness of the Avvim, if one were to actually adventure there?

Also, what are the actual dangers in the land? Adventuring requires there be a foe to fight, a problem to overcome, a government to overthrow, etc. Is there any real danger or threat to the people and the land that players would be dealing with? Is the only thing in the land that could be considered something that could be fought the oppressive rule of the Nephilim?
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

First off, thanks for taking the time to read it!

Hinnom is based off ancient Jewish myth, and the idea of fallen angels perpuating a race of giants comes from the Old Testament; Goliath was a distant descendant of that line. Since the base race is giants instead of humans, the Nephilim are 50+ feet tall instead of eight or nine. The territory is quite similar to the ancient Middle East, with small pockets of fertile land in a harsh desert; and the cities are built in the fertile land and next to the rivers like most ancient civilizations. Most of the inhabitants live in or around the cities, although the Horim and various outcasts from society live in the desert and there's a few Nephillim who haven't returned and are probably still out there somewhere. The desert itself is home to most monsters with Warm Desert as an Environment, with the dominant predator being Desert Landwyrms, and potentially a few new monsters. I'm unsure about whether or not to add blue dragons, but if they're around the two groups have an uneasy truce.

As for humans and how they compare to the Avvim; the two haven't really had much contact beyond wanderers and exiles from both cultures. Humans generally find the Avvim very intimidating due to being a unified civilization of giants and the Rephaim downright terrifying; while the Avvim are curious of humans, if rather disrespectful due to the only other humanoids they know being Desert Goblins and Orcs, and the Rephaim consider them beneath their notice. In the event of full scale contact between the two civilizations, there would most likely be either war or a total closing of borders to prevent the Avvim from knowing about the existence of forms of government other than theocratic despotism and tribalism. Adventurers would probably go to Hinnom for many of the same reasons they go to all lost civilizations; out of either curiosity, based on stories told by the sentient creatures in the desert, or because they think there might be loot (Several cities have been abandoned due to invasion or natural disaster, there's probably still stuff to pick over). Other than that; there could be the desire to try and overthrow the evil government, tagging along on an expedition to try and create a trade route, an expedition to retreive information kept by their sages, or a mission to convince a Ba'al to teach some of the magical secrets they've learned over the centuries. While the government is evil, they don't hate foreigners and can be quite sensible if necessary; just don't break their rules.

I don't think the Avvim would overshadow humans any more than other giants would; as they are about on par with Frost Giants in terms of power. While they are more intelligent, and therefore less likely to be Big Stupid Fighters, that doesn't really contribute to their ability to kill things. They're certainly very strong, but there isn't very many of them and in theory a group of humans with two handed weapons could hack one down. In fact, the cities that they've already lost have been due almost exactly to that; being outnumbered 5:1 by orcs with greataxes who cut their legs out from under them. However, I made their statline more than a year ago and may change it to tone them down. The Rephaim are a whole different story, as even the weakest are more powerful than Cloud and Storm giants and the strongest could go toe to toe with a Titan in melee combat; but they are in no way intended to be playable. (The same goes with the Nephillim, who are well into epic, and heavens forbid the Girgori, who are stronger than some gods)

I already covered magic a bit, but basically the Rephaim consider it to be their birthright and further proof that they are superior to everyone. While officially authority lies in the hands of the warrior kings, or Melquarts, the most ancient and powerful mages are the ones who really have the power; as they are of the highest generation and are the only ones who have access to the Nephilim in addition to the immense amount of personal power they have. When they do use magic it is usually either to destroy their enemies or to make powerful magic items; although they can do just about anything the Avvite mages can and do it better. For the Avvim, those who have magic are the scholarly and professional class and are far more likely to actually apply their magic for society; making both mundane and magical items, influencing the weather, divining the future, encouraging crops to grow, and so forth. I'm still working on how exactly I want to implement magic though, since I want mages to be relatively common without taking it to full extent of what they are capable of.

Anything else?
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

What was the pre-Nephilim Avvim culture like? What influences carry over to current day Avvim culture?

What is the organized religion like? How does the actual, physical existence of gods affect the worship of them? How are they viewed by the Avvim?

Can you write up a complete listing of monstrous and other assorted humanoids? You mention Goblinoids/Orcs, but it would be easier if there were like an actual list or something.

What do you imagine players doing in this setting? What are the primary occupations of adventurers, of any race?

These are just off the top of my head.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still working on the latter two, but here's some answers for the first two. Just so you don't think I'm blowing you off.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    What was the pre-Nephilim Avvim culture like? What influences carry over to current day Avvim culture?
    Well, the Grigori are called the Lords of Civilization for a reason; as they taught the Avvim metalworking, agriculture, warfare, astronomy, and politics. Most likely before they arrived the Avvim were basically cleaner Horim, wearing animal hides and eking out an existence with stone tools. For the period between the arrival of the Grigori and the rise of the Nephilim, it was probably more of a pure theocracy; seeing as how the gods were literally walking around and teaching people things. As for what stayed around? Probably relatively minor things like small folk superstitions and dietary laws; as the Rephaim would undoubtedly put a lot of effort into suppressing things not related to them. It is unlikely in the extreme that the old shamanistic practices would be allowed to continue, but small and rather pointless rituals in the same vein as how, for instance, it was not uncommon for otherwise perfectly normal Christians to leave out bowls of milk for fairies persisted. Since they were hunter-gatherers they probably had a symbolic sacrifice of the choicest cuts of meat and organs to their spirits, which I can easily see the Rephaim appropriating for themselves. I say the latter because usually dietary laws come about to encourage people not eat specific things, always useful when you live in a desert full of poisonous animals, and the Rephaim kept it around to set themselves apart from their subjects. (As they can eat just about anything)

What is the organized religion like? How does the actual, physical existence of gods affect the worship of them? How are they viewed by the Avvim?
    Bloody. Although it’s not on the scale of say the Aztecs, the Kohen priests do sacrifice the Avvim and prisoners of war along with more traditional animal sacrifices. The church itself is hierarchical, with the Ba’als and Melquarts at the top followed by the Kohenim and then the lay priests, which is as far as Avvim are allowed to go. The cult highly advocates obedience to authority and self-sacrifice in the name of both god and state, as the upper echelons represent both. Each of the Grigori have their own cults, but they differ only slightly in dogma; and barring the Rephaim and those Avvim who serve a purpose associated with a specific one most people worship them all equally. An Avvite might pray to Semyaza for a good harvest, to Ezekiel for rain, or to Azazel for success in battle and not think anything of it. The Nephilim are sort of an odd point. While they certainly exist and have a cult built around them, you could probably count the amount that are actually left in Hinnom on your hands and of those who are left almost all are figureheads. They might leave their palaces for the most sacred of holidays, but they have very little to do with the actual practices of the cult and are more symbolic than anything. What they do do, is provide legitimacy for the rulers like modern monarchs; a reminder that they are descended from gods and that they have access to beings of near god-like power who think nothing of eating their subjects when annoyed. As I said, since the Avvim only see enough of them to confirm that they exist and are in fact fifty foot tall cannibals, the general reaction tends to be total religious awe; but more like a saint than a god. They are aware that the Nephilim don’t grant spells and that they personally did not create civilization, and treat them as direct links to their gods rather than gods in their own right.

Edit: And here's Part 3
    Can you write up a complete listing of monstrous and other assorted humanoids? You mention Goblinoids/Orcs, but it would be easier if there were like an actual list or something.
    Desert Goblins and Desert Orcs (UA); raiders and marauders who live even deeper in the desert than the Avvim, making them difficult to track down. Occasionally they enlist bugbears for added muscle, but their bigger cousins don’t handle the desert very well.

Janni; nomads and merchants who act as intermediary traders between Hinnom and the outside world. The Rephaim tolerate them as fellow descendants of Outsiders, but this is contingent on them not interfering with society.

Hobgoblins; there is the occasional martial sect who choose to test themselves through living in the harsh elements who establish forts in the region. They mostly keep to themselves and the sides haven’t had much trouble; but it would hardly be impossible for outsiders looking for one side to encounter the other.

Marruspawn (SS); their civilization was in decline when Hinnom was rising but the two still clashed quite viciously in the past. Now the Rephaim are content to let them molder in their ruins, as there simply aren’t enough Marruspawn to pose a great threat and justify raising an army. Of course, if adventurers showed up hunting for the Marruspawn, they might be willing to provide a guide, information on them, or payment for their removal; and even the most skilled Rephaite warriors would think twice about tackling a Marruspawn Abomination.

Small groups of humans, desert elves, and desert Halflings also exist, but since they avoid the cities and aren’t very numerous they have little to no contact with Hinnom.

Edit:
    And Part 4
    What do you imagine players doing in this setting? What are the primary occupations of adventurers, of any race?
    As I said, pretty much what they do in any setting. Get in fights, obtain loot and spend it on cool stuff. There’s plenty of wild desert, harsh climates, and fierce beasts outside the cities; and no reason they can’t go picking over both Avvite and Marru ruins.

Anyone else have comments?
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2011-11-18 at 06:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you ever played Dominions 3? Because this seems exactly like the description of the Dom3 Hinnom civilization. Word for word even.

Anyways, it's good, I've always wanted to see the Sons of the Fallen in D&D form; they seem like a perfect fit for a Jewish-inspired D&D campaign.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah you caught me. Hinnom is my favorite team and I thought I'd try to expand on them beyond what the game description says.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    Yeah you caught me. Hinnom is my favorite team and I thought I'd try to expand on them beyond what the game description says.
    Hah, thought so.

Unfortunately, my copy of Dominions 3 doesn't work (lost the CD key), otherwise I'd love to help with statting out the rest of the Dom3 civilizations, if you wanted to.

Anyway, as I said, great job on converting them to D&D. Of course, I'd love to see a more logical Abysia (my favorite nation) in a D&D setting. They seem the most obviously fantasy (read: not based off of read-world mythology or history) to me, which is sad. I'm sure someone could make them more mythological if they tried.

Keep on making a Dom3 D&D setting, this is great!
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Ironically, Abysia is where the idea of Orcs bringing down Avvim with two-handed weapons came from; I was thinking about Abysia could have so decisively defeated Hinnom (twice!), realized that it's probably due to the fact that they all have two-handed weapons, and incorporated that into my writing. I'm probably too busy with this and Gates of Heaven to do it myself, but I'm always up for helping out if you do it. (I know you can't actively play, but you can get info here: At the wiki

As for future races, I don't know if I'd do it. I was considering doing Kailasa/Bandar Log/Lanka, since they're also very unique nations, but the whole caste system is awfully similar to Hinnom and most of my other favorite nations are human. Maybe Oceania or Pangaea; but I'm not sure their Tritons, Merfolk, Satyrs, Dryads, Minotaurs, and Centaurs are different enough from the ones in the Monster Manual to warrant whole new writings on them and it would be difficult to build it entirely on Triton Kings and Panii.

Edit: Actually, I think I'll just have a poll with a brief description of each nation after I finish Hinnom; seeing as how I want people to use this and finding the nation that the most people find interesting is conducive to that.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2011-11-26 at 07:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like this. A whole lot. I should have expected it from someone who worked on something inspired by Dicefreaks, but this is good.

Now, a few questions:

How much interplaner travel does this place get? The fiends are mentioned as the ones who sent the Grigori , but it looks like there are controled by anyone in particular. Jinn seem to be somewhat intergrained, but what about, say, Efriti or Dinjin? How common are, say, Fey, in Hinnom? What could be a true wild threat to someone traveling between cities? What is your basic giants outlook on these phyiscal gods of the deep desert? Can fire/rock/cloud/titans/ect be found inside the cities as free peoples, or are they killed on sight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Just for simplicity's sake I don't think there would be very much interplanar travel; just basic summoning spells. It took an immense expenditure of souls and power on the part of the Devils to send the Grigori in the first place, and they used up most of the region's ambient summoning magic in the process; so only powerful mages can summon outsiders and elementals and they can't stick around very long. The Janni live on the Material Plane anyways so they aren't effected, but the true genies are extremely rare and what few are still around live a long way from the cities. Fey I never really considered but I suppose Mirage Mullahs would be viewed as cruel tricksters and either avoided or killed.

The dangers one might face when travelling between the cities will have to wait, I'm still working on getting a total list of what lives in the desert. However, some of the more dangerous threats would include Monstrous Scorpions, groups of Wasteland Trolls, Desert Landwyrms, Rocs closer to the mountains, Purple Worms, aggressive Sphinxes, and packs of Dire Jackals.

As for other giants; Sun Giants left the region a long time ago due to warfare with the ancient Avvim, Frost Giants stay as far away as possible, Hill Giants are considered to be barely sentient animals, Stone Giants are very shy and better adapted to the mountains so they can easily get away, and Cloud Giants live far above where anyone is willing to go.

That leaves Storm Giants and Fire Giants; which they interact with the most. There isn't enough volcanoes to support a huge population of Fire Giants, but what population there is is friendly enough and merchants from either race who are willing to travel the long distance between the two can do well trading raw iron for meat and wine. Theoretically they could live with each other, but there's a pretty large difference in preferred temperature. Of course, the Rephaim consider them to be squat and hideous brutes; but they keep that private. Like Stone Giants, Storm Giants prefer to be left alone; but they are much bolder and will respond with force if they feel threatened or if they see the Avvim being too friendly with Fire Giants. Nobody in Hinnom has ever seen a Titan, but should one appear it would most likely either try attacking the cities at the head of the Good inhabitants of the desert or deal politely and respectfully with the Rephaim. A Titan would probably be the only other living thing that a Rephaite would ever acknowledge as an equal, and some might try to kill it to prove themselves superior.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Hmm, interesting. I am still interested about what your average devil would think of these powerful creatures, mostly the Rephaites. The lack of Effrits surprises me slightly, because if one uses a desert themed-setting with the myths you are using, one could expect the powerful lawful-evil fire creatures with a middle-eastern theme to have some connections with such a powerful group of a simular bent. The Dinjin, understandably, would wish to stay away from them as much as they can, but I could see the lords of the City of Brass to have some sort of trading connections with these guys, no matter how hard it would be.

As for other threats, I would suggest both manticores and griffons. Why? Both are the sort of things that could bring down something like a Dire Camel, and both have some nich they could fill in here. Manticores are the perfect representives of what a "desert lion" would be after centurys of warping, and could make a fine alternitive to Dire Jackels in combat. Griffon filghts, on the other hand, make for a bigger, badder alternitve to desert vultures. Vultures with messy, foul claws (if you know why, I am sorry for the adventure who gets scraped by one.), and a willingness to bring down weakend prey.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-11-26 at 09:44 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Both of those are very good points, I'll have to think of some way to get the Efreet involved.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Ah, thank you.

Any way to help such a interesting project.

Also, on manticores: I always like to keep the two genders different in my game.
    The males have the tail of a scorpian, and the females have actual spikes that can be fired. Much like a real-life lion tribe, a female could fire down prey with there spines while the big males fight with there scorpian stinger, and dont hunt out of the instinct that eating things brought down with its poison is bad eating. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-11-27 at 08:47 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Your manticore idea has merit, although stat changes to things outside of the giants and those related to them may be a while in the waiting. The devils are very much interested in what goes on in Hinnom, seeing as how it was them who sent the Grigori (Semyaza and Azazel are mostly independant Arch-Devils, Shamshiel is a Duke under Belial, Ezekiel is a Duke under Meroem the Darkwind, Arakiel is a Grand Count under Lillith, and Kokabel is another independant under the protection of Azazel), but only the Nephilim and their most trusted children know of their involvement. The weaker ambient magic means blood sacrifices would be necessary to summon any Devils, and the sheer amount needed to summon anything of substance means most don't bother. However, the Rephaim have no shortage of brute force; so the Devils that they would actually want to summon would require fairly modest sacrifices. Seeing as how this happened before most of them had formally signed up with Hell, Asmodeus was able to claim, truthfully, that they did it on their own initiative. That being said, the Nephilim are honorary Barons of Hell and the ruling Rephaim are Peers; making the Nephilim socially equal to advanced Pit Fiends and the Rephaim Cornugons and Gelugons (The CR 18 Dicefreaks version) in theory. In practice the Infernal nobility deals with them like they were several notches lower in rank, but it provides a baseline for common Devils to work with.

Also, I have a question to you spectators. Many of you have been asking me a lot of questions yourselves; would you prefer that the answers be integrated into the OP in some way or just left as is? Also, what sort of enchantments would be good for making the Dawn Blades unique? With Gates of Heaven I can stick on all the enchantments I want and still have a numerical bonus of 4-7; but here I'd like to have three seperate Dawn Blades with an equivalent bonus of +2, +3, and +5 (Dawn Guard, Rephaite Warriors, Melquarts respectively) without resorting to flat numerical bonii.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

I would like to see the answers integrated into the first post, perhapes with a "relations" section that could clear up a lot of my questions.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Relations added. Is anything unclear?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Relations added. Is anything unclear?
    No, and it is in fact very clear and precise.

I do notice that you seem to be planning on adding cities eventualy, and I wish you luck on making them.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Update. The Rephaite Warrior and the Dawn Guard are complete, religion has been given its own section, and I've started to describe the cities and locations. (Only Gomorrah is done, the other cities will be expanded on later along with the Grigori)

Is there anyone reading this who has considered using it themselves? It's intended to be a public thing that can be added onto a pre-existing campaign.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Another update with Mount Hermon, Kiriath Sephair, and some expansion on the Twin Cities. I've gotten 105 views since the last update, but no new comments; is there just nothing to say?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Nah, its the holidays. Will take a look at it soon. Until then, let us digest the huge amount of chocolet we have had and then Homebrew fluff review.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The Twin Cities and Mount Se'ir are up. (Yes, I will make a statblock for the Se'irim)

Also, I've been getting plenty of comments from a lore standpoint, but does anyone have anything to say about the mechanics?
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2012-01-03 at 05:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Bumping back up as I'm pretty sure the holidays are over.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I haven't been getting any notice lately; so here's a bit of a teaser.

Towering over even the mighty Titans, this massive Rephaite is half again the height of the others and has horns the length of a man. From the neck down it is covered in plates of thick steel with engravings depicting terrible angels and bloody battles; and the rubies studding its gleaming shield glow with a dim fire. It wears no helmet, but a gold mask shaped like a snarling beast covers its face and upon its brow is a heavy platinum crown.

Any guesses as to what this is for?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Ok, I haven't been getting any notice lately; so here's a bit of a teaser.

Towering over even the mighty Titans, this massive Rephaite is half again the height of the others and has horns the length of a man. From the neck down it is covered in plates of thick steel with engravings depicting terrible angels and bloody battles; and the rubies studding its gleaming shield glow with a dim fire. It wears no helmet, but a gold mask shaped like a snarling beast covers its face and upon its brow is a heavy platinum crown.

Any guesses as to what this is for?
    ....Mammon actualy has decent melee fighters under his thrall?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope, just the Melquart warrior kings. I've been trying to stat them for a while with little luck, so now I'm doing the descriptive text.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Nope, just the Melquart warrior kings. I've been trying to stat them for a while with little luck, so now I'm doing the descriptive text.
    How powerful are we talking here? As in "theres like, five more contenders for his position", or "Slays Great Wryms without backup, than continues to hunt down the extended family"?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking somewhere in the early 20's (Able to hold their own against titans), but I was having trouble finding a way to make them naturally more powerful than common Rephaim (More HD, better stats, and Powerful Build), have more levels in martial classes, and be relatively potent clerics on top of that. Natural Sorcery compensates for the latter to a degree, but it's a similar problem to what I was having with the Avvite casters; even with the 2 levels=1 CR that casting classes on monsters get I couldn't get a respectable level of casting ability without getting more of a CR then I'd like.

Numbers-wise, there probably isn't any more than three dozen; compared to about 4000 total Rephaim and 35000 Avvim. There's enough that every major settlement has a few, but it's not like the Nephillim where there's maybe five confirmed to still be alive and active.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it's been a while; and due to my increasing failure to make satisfactory casters I decided to work on the Se'irm instead.

Se’ir
    Large Monstrous Humanoid
    Hit Dice: 17d8+136 (213 hp)
    Initiative: +8
    Speed: 60 ft (12 squares), Climb 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 26 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +13 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+31
    Attack: Claw +26 melee (1d8+12) or gore (1d10+6)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +26 melee (1d8+12) and gore (1d10+6)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved grab, rend 2d8+18
    Special Qualities: Darkvision, heat endurance, scent
    Saves: Fort +13, Ref +14, Will +11
    Abilities: Str 34, Dex 18, Con 26, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills: 20 points
    Feats: Cleave, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Initiative, Power Attack
    Environment: Warm deserts and mountains
    Organization:
    Challenge Rating: 11
    Treasure: Half Standard
    Alignment: Usually Neutral Evil
    Advancement: 18-30 Hit Dice (Large)
    Level Adjustment:

This monster bears some resemblance to a minotaur, but is almost twice as tall and much rangier; with lean muscles covered with a thin coat of fur. It has the protruding snout of a goat, but its horns are much longer and end in wicked points and its long fingers are capped with sinister talons.

The beasts of Mount Se’ir, or Se’irim, are ferocious and savage monsters that will attack anyone who enters their territory. Despite their lean build they are incredibly strong and able to tear an Avvite apart with their bare hands; so it is exceptionally rare for anyone to attempt a confrontation. However, they will not harm anyone who has been marked by Semyaza; and on rare occasions the Achas have been able to coerce assistance from them.

Combat:
    Vicious fighters, the Se’irim attack with very little warning and will fight until either their prey is dead or they are sorely wounded. Although nowhere near as smart as civilized beings, they are no mere animals and are capable of surprisingly complex tactics; including multi-pronged attacks and imitating the mountain’s mundane goats to lure prey into traps.

Improved Grab: To use this ability, a Se’ir must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Rend: If a Se’ir hits with both claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d6+9 points of damage.

How do they look?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I will not let this die!

The first post is now too big to contain everything, so I'll just be posting future updates in their own posts. When it's finished, I'll start another thread with enough posts for the full content.

The Melquart warrior kings. These are very much a work in progress, since I'm still trying to figure out how to make them naturally stronger than Rephaim and have more class levels without giving them a challenge rating over early 20s.
    Spoiler
    Show

Melquart
    6th Level Cleric/6th Level Warblade
    Huge Outsider (Native)
    Hit Dice: 33d8+6d12+507 (695 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 35 ft in breastplate (7 squares); base speed 50 ft
    Armor Class: 28 (-2 size, +2 Dex, +18 natural armor), touch 10, flat-footed 26
    Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+48
    Attack:
    Full Attack:
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Blood of the Fallen, darkvision to 60 ft, damage reduction 15/good, immunity to disease and petrification, low-light vision, Natural Sorcery, powerful build, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, fire 25, and electricity 10, spell resistance 37
    Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
    Abilities: Str 45, Dex 18, Con 37, Int 24, Wis 20, Cha 30
    Skills: 450 Outsider points
    Feats: Power Attack and 8
    Environment: Warm deserts
    Organization:
    Challenge Rating: 24
    Treasure: Double Standard
    Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
    Advancement: By class level
    Level Adjustment: -

Towering over even the mighty Titans, this massive Rephaite is half again the height of its younger relatives and has horns the length of a man. From the neck down it is covered in plates of thick steel with engravings depicting terrible angels and bloody battles; and the rubies studding its gleaming shield glow with a dim fire. It wears no helmet, but a platinum mask shaped like a snarling beast covers its face and upon its brow is a heavy golden crown.

For all the prodigious power of the common Rephaim, there are those that they fear and aspire to be. The Melquarts, warrior kings of Hinnom, are the mightiest warriors in the land; every last one descended from Azazel and none of a lower generation than fourth. None, save the Nephilim, can match them in size and strength and each one carries magical artifacts of great puissance. They share power with the Ba’al sorcerer-priests, reigning with an iron fist from their lavish palaces and handling much of the day-to-day ruling of their cities; their incredible intelligence allowing them to keep track of things that would require dozens of officials in less blessed societies. While they certainly could lapse into the idle hedonism of their fathers, the Melquarts take their positions seriously; they were born to rule their people in both peace and war and dedicate much of their waking hours to doing so. In return they expect absolute obedience from their subjects, providing the impetus for their bloody crackdowns on insubordination. The fact that they don’t indulge in their father’s excesses does not mean that they are temperate by any means, as their appetites for flesh in both definitions of the term and wine are legendary even among Rephaim, but they will almost always place their duty first.

Blood of the Fallen (Ex): The Melquarts and Ba’als are among the oldest of their kind and the closest to the Grigori by blood. They are treated as Outsiders with the Native subtype rather than Giants, have the Powerful Build special ability, and suffer one half the effect from alignment based effects that target evil alignments, such as a paladin's smite evil or a protection from evil spell.

Festooned With Jewelry (Su): The eldest of the Rephaim wear dozens of pieces of jewelry, most of which are magic. Due to their long experience with these valuable pieces, they can wear four rings or two amulets rather than the normal limit.

Natural Sorcery (Su): With their close connection to the Fallen, Rephaim can easily master magic. If they take levels in any class that progresses spellcasting, they can count half of their natural Hit Dice as levels in that class for the purposes of spells known and spells per day.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp) At will-Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand Prestidigitation, 3/day-Bear’s Endurance, Bull’s Strength, Continual Flame, Divine Favor, Mage Armor, 1/day-Charm Monster, Stoneskin

The Ammi wizards, although I'm trying to figure out how I can make them less hard to kill; as it just isn't right for them to be tougher than the elite Dawn Guard.
    Ammi
    Large Giant
    9th Level Wizard
    Hit Dice: 15d8+9d4+168 (260 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 40 ft
    Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+25
    Attack: Slam +19 melee (1d4+7)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +19 melee (1d4+7)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Heat endurance, low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +19, Ref +11, Will +14
    Abilities: Str 24, Dex 17, Con 24, Int 19, Wis 16, Cha 16
    Skills: 105 Giant, 84 Wizard
    Feats: Scribe Scroll and 8 more
    Environment: Warm deserts
    Organization:
    Challenge Rating: 13
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Often Lawful Evil
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +5

Gath, the last of the major cities:
    Gath, the City of Men: Founded by Shamshiel, Gath is the southernmost city in Hinnom and the one that has had the most contact with outsiders. The name is rather apt, as there is a sizable human minority and it is the only city where non-giants can be citizens. This is not to say that humans are treated particularly well, as they are considered weak in mind and body and barely better than the Horim; but they are still allowed to live and work within the city’s borders as long as they pay their taxes (Which are harsher than for Avvim as they are considered to be less able to contribute to society through their labor). While they might grumble at the weight of the taxes, most of the human population is willing to accept it; and Gath has grown rich as the intermediary for trade between Hinnom and the outside world. However, the city’s Ba’als have recently been in contact with representatives of Dispater; and should they adopt the Iron Duke’s policies it is unlikely that the relative peace will last. Most troubling though is the issue of the Gittim. Half-breeds are inevitable when two different races cohabitate for an extended period of time, and these hybrids of human and Avvite are no exception. They have none of the rights of either of their parents and are considered to be ugly and weak by the Avvim and abominations by the church, who think that they are polluting the pure blood of Hinnom. As a result, many flee their homes; and while the remainder doesn’t pose a serious threat to Gath they are virtually the only group that has a motive to do so.

Gittim, my attempt to add a playable race. They are intended to be roughly equal to Goliaths:
    Gittim, the Cursed Ones
    The Gittim are the children of human and Avvite parentage, almost always from Gath. Although they theoretically could come from other cities that occasionally have human visitors, they would most likely be killed at birth. Like most half-breeds, Gittim are not especially popular among either side of their family; as Avvim consider them weak, ugly, and stupid and humans intimidating. They could never pass as either one of their parent’s races as while they are tall and strong they appear as children compared to Avvim while still being much larger than any human. They don’t even have the luxury of being able to pass as abnormally attractive ogres like hybrids of human and hill giant as their builds are totally different and they are slightly too short.
    Gittim look much like Avvim; with muscular physiques, black curly hair, and dark complexions. However, they are much smaller, with even the tallest barely exceeding nine feet in height and five hundred pounds. Like humans, the women are much shorter, about seven feet, and recognizably feminine; many human men consider them more attractive then Avvite women.

+4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma. Gittim have much of the physique and sharp mind of their giant parent, but none of their natural grace; while their subservient status in Gath has made them naturally meek and unwilling to argue despite their fair appearance.
    Heat Endurance: As the Sandstorm feat. (+2 bonus to saving throws against fire effects, can exist comfortably in temperatures up 120 degrees, and level 1 protection against heat.)
    Gittite base land speed is 30 feet.
    Medium: As Medium creatures, Gittim have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Giant: As giants, Gittim are proficient with all simple weapons, but they have no proficiency with any armor or shield.
    Powerful Build: The physical stature of a Gittite lets him function in many ways as if he were one size category larger. Whenever a Gittite is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Gittite is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Gittite is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Gittite can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty.
    However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
    Low-light vision
    -2 to Will Saves against spells cast by Avvim and -8 against spells cast by Rephaim. Obedience is ground into Gittim from birth and they find it immensely difficult to overcome.
    Alignment: Often Lawful Evil. Their poor treatment and human blood has made them more likely than Avvim to rebel against either the strict rules or brutality of Hinnom but most never overcome their upbringing.

Although I do appreciate lore and story related comments, what I'm really looking for is mechanical ones; as I haven't really gotten any of those.

Edit: Seriously, am I doing something wrong here? Not one single comment on my work?
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2012-07-09 at 09:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show