New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Archermage (Arcane Archer fix)

Prerequisites: BAB +4, 2nd level spells, weapon focus (a ranged weapon), point-blank shot

level fort ref will bab special spells
    1 0 2 2 1 magic arrow
    2 0 3 3 2 magic strike +1 existing class
    3 1 3 3 3 imbue area effect +1 existing class
    4 1 4 4 4 imbue single target +1 existing class
    5 1 4 4 5 imbue creation +1 existing class

Hit die: d8
    Class Skills: Concentration, Hide, Knowledge (your power source, e.g. arcana), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spellcraft, Spot
    Skill points: 2+int

magic arrow(su): Every arrow you fire gains magic features worth a bonus one greater than your class level. For example, at first level you could fire a +2, +1 flaming, flaming and shocking, or wounding arrow. You cannot apply feature inappropriate to the ammunition (e.g. vorpal on an arrow), and you cannot apply alignments unless you are of that alignment. Magic applied this way overlaps with magic already in the arrow or bow. Note that if you create a +6 arrow (as you can at 5th level), it counts as epic for overcoming damage reduction. In addition to normal properties, you may create the following:

name cost effect
    self-firing +1 Does not require a bow. When you draw it back, a bow of force briefly flickers into existence. Fire as if from a normal (not masterwork, not composite) weapon suitable to the ammunition. Cannot be applied to siege weaponry. Must still be of appropriate size.
    force-based +1 Does not require an arrow. You draw back your empty hand on the string and a sliver of force shoots forth anyway. Once the attack roll is over, the pseudo-arrow disappears again.
    sleep +2 as in srd, except that the save dc is 10 + half your caster level rounded down + your casting stat
    slaying +4 as in srd
    greater slaying +6 as in srd

magic strike(su): You can sacrifice a prepared spell or unused spell slot for a more powerful attack. Add the spell level to the attack roll and d4 per spell level to damage.

imbue area effect(su): In a single standard action, you cast a spell and fire an arrow. The spell centers on where the arrow lands. It must be an area-effect spell, and castable as a standard action. If relevant, the damage from the arrow is resolved before the effect of the spell. If the spell allows a reflex save and the arrow strikes a target, the target automatically fails the reflex save.

imbue single target(su): Like imbue area effect, but you use a spell that targets a creature or object (not yourself) and the spell effects whatever the arrow hits. If the arrow misses (or hits an object to which the spell does not apply), the spell is wasted.

imbue creation(su): Like imbue area effect, but you use a spell that creates something such as Arcane Eye or Summon Monster. The creation appears where the arrow lands.

Note on weapons: This was written saying "arrow" because it's a much nicer word than "ammunition", but this class works with any ranged or thrown weapon.

Note on psionics: Again, writing "spell" was much nicer than "spell or power", but this class can be used with psionics too. Replace spellcraft with psicraft in the class skill list and for Magic Strike sacrifice power points sufficient to manifest a known power.

Edits: added dc to sleep arrow and changed magic strike damage from 2 to d4.
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2015-06-03 at 10:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Archermage (Arcane Archer fix)

1) Slaying, Greater Slaying, and Sleep -need- scaling DCs to not be totally irrelevant. I'd say 10+class level+dex mod for slaying/sleep(int or cha may be subbed in place of dex here if you want to favor sorc or wizard entry over the other), and 2*class level for Greater Slaying.

2) For Magic Strike why not just use Arcane Strike? ie xd4 damage instead of a flat +damage.

3) The ability to bypass DR/Epic by level 11 (assuming a standard level 6 entry, for Wizard{Or Sorc}4/Full BAB2 seems kind of strong. On the other hand at that level DR/Epic typically just doesn't show up, so this probably doesn't matter.

4) Is this intended to be usable with Clerics, Druids, etc? Because I just noticed you never specify arcane spells. I could enter as an Archer Cleric at level 6 without multiclassing, level 5 with a dip into a full BAB class.

That said, I do like it. I mean the arcane archer is an example of good idea bad execution due to losing too many spells. You give the spells back, plus some, and that makes it good.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2011-11-13 at 10:37 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    1) Slaying, Greater Slaying, and Sleep -need- scaling DCs to not be totally irrelevant. I'd say 10+class level+dex mod for slaying/sleep(int or cha may be subbed in place of dex here if you want to favor sorc or wizard entry over the other), and 2*class level for Greater Slaying.
    But if I unnerf slaying it becomes too powerful.

I don't really see it as useful, more a defining ability of the old class I wanted to keep around.

Sleep isn't game-breaking, so I'll fix that.

2) For Magic Strike why not just use Arcane Strike? ie xd4 damage instead of a flat +damage.
    Yeah, that would probably be better.

4) Is this intended to be usable with Clerics, Druids, etc? Because I just noticed you never specify arcane spells. I could enter as an Archer Cleric at level 6 without multiclassing, level 5 with a dip into a full BAB class.
    Yes. I see no reason for arcanists to have all the fun.

In fact, one application I see is a long-range healer shooting his allies with merciful arrows of heal.

Note that divine entry isn't all that easy, because you need to get bow proficiency first (unless you want to use a sling -- there's something traditional about divine champions with slings)
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2011-11-13 at 11:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

But if I unnerf slaying it becomes too powerful.

I don't really see it as useful, more a defining ability of the old class I wanted to keep around.
    Maybe make the Slaying Arrow eat up low level slots for every use?

But I see what you mean, I guess I forgot that the archer could in theory spam 6+ attacks per round with the slaying property, at which point just trying to force a 1 is actually a viable option.

Yes. I see no reason for arcanists to have all the fun.

In fact, one application I see is a long-range healer shooting his allies with merciful arrows of heal.

Note that divine entry isn't all that easy, because you need to get bow proficiency first (unless you want to use a sling -- there's something traditional about divine champions with slings)
    I was thinking more along the lines of a Elf Cleric, or a Cleric with the War Domain and a deity that has a bow as a favored weapon, though I'm not sure how common that actually is.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

coreline is a prime example. he has war and is the primary god of elves.

I notice you removed the prequest of being an elf... now I want to make a half-orc cleric of grumsh that is an arcane arch...
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bobthe6th View Post
    coreline is a prime example. he has war and is the primary god of elves.

I notice you removed the prequest of being an elf... now I want to make a half-orc cleric of grumsh that is an arcane arch...
    Correlleon's (how the eff do you spell that guy's name?) favored weapon is a longsword, actually. So his War Domain wouldn't help you there.

7. - Top - End - #7

Though his favored weapon is the longsword, so no free weapon focus. Ah well.

Yes, I dropped that requirement. Even if the techniques originated among elves, there's no reason others can't learn them. If you want to play a +str -cha cleric/archer, go for it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

So, can you combine the Force-Based and Self-Firing arrows into one arrow to allow you to just fire force arrows from your hands at will? 'Cause that actually sounds pretty awesome.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

really, I just make the spelling up every time... and really, longsword? for *bleeps* sake hes the elf god and he dosn't get a bow? sigh, that is rather disappointment.

but on the class itself... how do magic arrows interact with the boost ability? stack, replace, or overlap?
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

10. - Top - End - #10

Overlaps I guess. That's generally how magics work. And overlaps with any enchantment on the bow.

Is that abusable?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    Overlaps I guess. That's generally how magics work. And overlaps with any enchantment on the bow.

Is that abusable?
    Hrm... well the biggest abuse I can see would be having a single ranged weapon that is +5 with +15 worth of special enhancements. Possibly +24 worth of enhancements if you're willing to spend a lot of money on ammo. That's a pretty ridiculously enchanted weapon.

But then again, you can get +9/+18 worth of special effects with a +5 enhancement without this class, so it's not actually that big of a deal.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Idea: Maybe an arrow imbued with an area-effect damage spell should get some bonus if it actually hits the target (at the very minimum, the target gets no save and any crits multiply the spell damage as well.)

Because having a fireball go off in your target's head is awesome.
    Last edited by Yitzi; 2011-11-15 at 09:42 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Yitzi: I like it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

I also like this class. I plan on using this in a game.

While you already state Notes on Weapons/Psionics, it is on the bottom of the post. Those who lightly skim over pages might miss those parts, and go "Aww, man I wanted to use this with my crossbow/firearm/Psion, too bad" and leave the page. I would kindly suggest moving both to the top of the post.
    Avatar by me. Semd a PM if you want one for yourself.
    My Extended Signature (Includes fancy pictures by me)

So, I have a "quote", bold, and italics addiction (parenthesis too), forgive me if I use them too much in posts, or too often in threads.

For games that I play and/or DM, I offer to draw out grids for combat. If you are a DM for a game I play in, just ask via PM and I will do so.

Yes, I intentionnaly grammar and spelling bad just to argravate you.