New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Speaking of the next book...

Aren't we about due? DStP was 188 strips, and stopped at 672. We're 208 past that now, and I'm sort of hoping the next book won't be long enough to be $50. Of course we're also in the middle of a major conflict, hence the nature of my worry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Speaking of the next book...

Didn't you know? The plot arcs always run long.

But yeah, I have the suspicion that this next book will be longer than average. Becasue we are currently in a big plot arc. I think the book will stop somewhere around the gate going KRACKAKOOM.
    "And remember... avoid pears... you'll understand when the time comes..."
    -A.S.

3. - Top - End - #3

HalflingRangerGuy

Although looking back, only 833 and 839 presented anything even remotely close to resembling a good stopping point recently, and even then the emphasis would be on remotely. I don't know if the KRAAAAAACKAKOOOOM is going to be the stop point for this book, though - at a guess, I would say 878 was the climax and we're about to hit denouement. If I'm not mistaken, Team Evil still needs to show up before the fate of the gate is decided, and between their arrival and the resolution of the three-way engagement, that still seems to be a long way off. Unless Rich is planning on the next book running to 256 strips or something, I think the fate of the Gate will be the territory of the next-next book.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    Although looking back, only 833 and 839 presented anything even remotely close to resembling a good stopping point recently, and even then the emphasis would be on remotely. I don't know if the KRAAAAAACKAKOOOOM is going to be the stop point for this book, though - at a guess, I would say 878 was the climax and we're about to hit denouement. If I'm not mistaken, Team Evil still needs to show up before the fate of the gate is decided, and between their arrival and the resolution of the three-way engagement, that still seems to be a long way off. Unless Rich is planning on the next book running to 256 strips or something, I think the fate of the Gate will be the territory of the next-next book.
    Actually, looking back at the ones you linked, I could see 839 being the end of a book. I do fully expect it to not be the case, and for the book to actually end after the gate has been dealt with, but that would make the best stopping point we've seen so far, if it's to be finished before the gate.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5

I'm actually thinking that Burlew has the story worked out in his head, but not the exact amount of comics he'll need to tell it and is running long because he is having tons of fun doing this one.

I have to admit, I have selfish reasons for wanting this arc to be extra long. It is my personal favorite. Malack and Tarquin are characters I could imagine playing and I love desert settings. I also disliked the Dwarf and hope he grew some personality to go with the fangs..

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Might even end the very next strip. I think it's clear that the Order has already lost. As soon as they receive the sending, it will be clear to them, if it isn't already. Moving to plan B starts a new book.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Aren't we about due? DStP was 188 strips, and stopped at 672. We're 208 past that now, and I'm sort of hoping the next book won't be long enough to be $50. Of course we're also in the middle of a major conflict, hence the nature of my worry.
    It's not the strip count that matters. It's the page count.

(Ignoring Dungeon Crawlin' Fools)...

Book # of Online Strips # of Online Pages Total Book Pages
    NCftPB 180 197 244
    W&XP 183 242 288
    DStP 188 226 272
    Book 5 208+ 233.75+ ????

So we are in fact past Don't Split the Party. But we haven't quite reached the behemoth known as War and XPs. And if it does? Well maybe Rich figures that the Kickstarter drive proved that people are in fact willing to shell out for books as long as (or a bit more than) W&XPs.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-10-19 at 03:44 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

8. - Top - End - #8

HalflingRangerGuy

Oh sure, it's just that we're rapidly approaching that behemoth stage, especially considering pages set aside for author commentary and bonus strips. Once you figure that in, we can't be more than a few pages from WaXP's size already.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Oh sure, it's just that we're rapidly approaching that behemoth stage, especially considering pages set aside for author commentary and bonus strips. Once you figure that in, we can't be more than a few pages from WaXP's size already.
    Already accounted for that in my chart above. I figure we're about 8-10 pages from a book the size of War and XPs.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think #841 would make great book ending. Of course there's been no announcement so it may still be up in the air, but if I were to make that choice, that's what I'd do.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    I think #841 would make great book ending. Of course there's been no announcement so it may still be up in the air, but if I were to make that choice, that's what I'd do.
    #841 would be a TERRIBLE comic to end the book on. It's right in the middle of the arc for crying out loud! Let's face it everyone, we are still in Book 5 at this point. When it will end who can say, but it's story is still on-going.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

The book will end when it ends, and no sooner. Length is not a critical issue.

And when it's complete, put it in a time machine and immediately send it to me dated Mar. 22, 2013.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    The book will end when it ends, and no sooner. Length is not a critical issue.

And when it's complete, put it in a time machine and immediately send it to me dated Mar. 22, 2013.
    If you can go ahead and stick the completed volumes of Naruto in there that would be cool too.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XxXU2XxX View Post
    #841 would be a TERRIBLE comic to end the book on. It's right in the middle of the arc for crying out loud! Let's face it everyone, we are still in Book 5 at this point. When it will end who can say, but it's story is still on-going.
    That's called a cliffhanger. Face it, leaving on such a note would be a major "Oh sh-, what happens now?" moment.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    That's called a cliffhanger. Face it, leaving on such a note would be a major "Oh sh-, what happens now?" moment.
    The better point is that Rich has always told us before when one book ends and another is about to begin. So what makes people think that he is suddenly going to go, "Oh, BTW, all of the people waiting for the book to end, it already ended 40 strips ago!!1!"?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

We're about due in many ways. I just realized the other day that DStP was published in November of 2009...
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStandard View Post
    We're about due in many ways. I just realized the other day that DStP was published in November of 2009...
    Yeah, I was looking at that last night. That's what prompted me to make the thread. Like I said earlier though, I feel like we just hit climax and will be in denouement for the next few strips. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit book's end before 900, prior to Team Evil showing up and really rocking the boat. I think once they show up, unless they immediately go all-out on everyone present which might strain even their resources (assuming we're not so close to the end that MitD is going to be unleashed) that we're looking at 30 or more strips of additional conflict, and that would make for a very fat book, hence my thought that the gate may not be resolved this book.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

If I'm not mistaken, Team Evil still needs to show up before the fate of the gate is decided,
    That's not required. We only know that Xykon will pass within 1000 feet of the gate before being within 1000 feet of Kraagor's gate. Granted, they're on their way now, but for all we know, they might arrive to find the gate destroyed or otherwise inclined to go after Kraagor's gate instead, through some other means, be it illusion or a massive army from the Kingdom of Blood.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

What part of the current comic implies we at the end of one chapter and about to start another? We still have a Gate, undead teammate, and evil group to deal with.

20. - Top - End - #20

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    What part of the current comic implies we at the end of one chapter and about to start another? We still have a Gate, undead teammate, and evil group to deal with.
    The part where I suspect Rich doesn't want a book so big he has to charge $50 for it and cut into the number of people who can afford it. Plain old practicality.

That's not required. We only know that Xykon will pass within 1000 feet of the gate before being within 1000 feet of Kraagor's gate. Granted, they're on their way now, but for all we know, they might arrive to find the gate destroyed or otherwise inclined to go after Kraagor's gate instead, through some other means, be it illusion or a massive army from the Kingdom of Blood.
    Unless we have evidence to the contrary, Xykon's last plan was to teleport to this gate the moment he's done with whatever he's about off-panel. The original plan was to teleport two rounds after the phylactery was found. Either way, we know the plan is to teleport exactly where the gate is (because he's the person who knows exactly where it is.) He *may* have some kind of plan that hasn't been at all foreshadowed to begin assaulting Kraagor's Gate just a few minutes later, or simultaneously through other means, but I think the world is pretty much screwed if that's the case, and Elan has a happy ending coming.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

The part where I suspect Rich doesn't want a book so big he has to charge $50 for it and cut into the number of people who can afford it. Plain old practicality.

Unless we have evidence to the contrary, Xykon's last plan was to teleport to this gate the moment he's done with whatever he's about off-panel. The original plan was to teleport two rounds after the phylactery was found. Either way, we know the plan is to teleport exactly where the gate is (because he's the person who knows exactly where it is.) He *may* have some kind of plan that hasn't been at all foreshadowed to begin assaulting Kraagor's Gate just a few minutes later, or simultaneously through other means, but I think the world is pretty much screwed if that's the case, and Elan has a happy ending coming.
    He can't teleport 'exactly' where it is. Even Xykon isn't that stupid. He knows that an Epic illusionist defends the Gate, and has doubtless set up some heavy defenses - he has no idea that Girard and his entire clan have been wiped out.

He'll definitely teleport close in though - and as soon as he realizes the place is undefended he'll definitely be barging in the front door.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-03-22 at 09:30 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

With the jump of price that USPS charges for priority mail to Canada: I'd much rather pay 21$ shipping on a 50$ book than on a 20$ book.
    Last edited by JustWantedToSay; 2013-03-22 at 10:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JustWantedToSay View Post
    With the jump of price that USPS charges for priority mail to Canada: I'd much rather pay 21$ shipping on a 50$ book than on a 20$ book.
    Well the larger books so far have been between 29-32 dollars US, and as this thread points out, this is already in that range, so 20 is right out. Me, I'm mostly paying for the author commentary and bonus strips. The only time I'm ever without internet is when the electricity I'd use to read the books by is also out. I see your point, but Rich can't do much about shipping charges. He doesn't get any of that money. :/
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JustWantedToSay View Post

Amen my international brother. I'm in the UK. I mean, at least *you* could cross the border to pick it up from a Friendly Seattlite. An ocean stands between me and such books.
    To the guy responsible for Belkar, Haley and Vaarsuvius. Thank you for providing over 800 comedy gems.

My Favourite Giant Posts
    Well, It Took 10 Years, But His Tolerance For Rules-Based Criticism Finally Snapped Like A Dry Breadstick
    Race Should Not Dictate Alignment

"What's the point in defending the defensible? Where's the challenge in that?" - Nick Naylor, Thank You for Smoking

Spot the Toxic Comic Fans! Gotta Catch 'Em All!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post

{table]Book | # of Online Strips |# of Online Pages| Total Book Pages
    NCftPB| 180 | 197 | 244
    W&XP | 183 | 242 | 288
    DStP | 188 | 226 | 272
    Book 5 | 208+ | 233.75+ | ???[/table]

So we are in fact past Don't Split the Party. But we haven't quite reached the behemoth known as War and XPs. And if it does? Well maybe Rich figures that the Kickstarter drive proved that people are in fact willing to shell out for books as long as (or a bit more than) W&XPs.
    amazing job, pal
    but just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can’t something be wrong...and priceless?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deworde View Post
    Amen my international brother. I'm in the UK. I mean, at least *you* could cross the border to pick it up from a Friendly Seattlite. An ocean stands between me and such books.
    Forbidden Planet stocks them; I bought all the books (apart from SSaDT, obv.) at my local branch as they were released and they're still well stocked to this day. And they have a Newcastle branch, so they should be able to order them for you even if they don't already have them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

NCftPB 180 197 244
    W&XP 183 242 288
    DStP 188 226 272
    Book 5 208+ 233.75+ ????

It's been a while, so let's update this, shall we?

As of Strip #883:

NCftPB 180 197 244
    W&XP 183 242 288
    DStP 188 226 272
    Book 5 211+ 234.75+ ????

So, according to raw online page count, Book 5 is just 4.25 pages away from W&XPs. And since that .25 of an empty page (which for completists is the lower quarter of this strip) will almost certainly be filled with something, we really are 4 online pages from tying the length of W&XPs.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean that Book 5 would be the same length of W&XPs. But the number of pages devoted to 'extras' in the books (pages devoted to chapter splash pages, commentary, bonus strips/art, assorted other extras) have been remarkably consistent. So imma gonna guess that, yes, there is all the likelihood in the world that we're gonna get a book of the same length (or bigger ) than W&XPs.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-10-19 at 03:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

It's been a while, so let's update this, shall we?

As of Strip #883:

{table]Book | # of Online Strips |# of Online Pages| Total Book Pages
    NCftPB| 180 | 197 | 244
    W&XP | 183 | 242 | 288
    DStP | 188 | 226 | 272
    Book 5 | 211+ | 237.75+ | ???[/table]

So, according to raw online page count, Book 5 is just 4.25 pages away from W&XPs. And since that .25 of an empty page (which for completists is the lower quarter of this strip) will almost certainly be filled with something, we really are 4 online pages from tying the length of W&XPs.
    4 online pages later, we've tied the number of online pages in War and XPs.

29. - Top - End - #29

How about this book being split into two shorter volumes? Say, around the time the Order set off from the Empire of Blood? (Just a random suggestion).

The way things are heading, they won't be resolved any time soon, and the last book was long enough as it was.

The two volumes could still be released at the same time, or shortly after each other.

What do people think?

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    How about this book being split into two shorter volumes? Say, around the time the Order set off from the Empire of Blood? (Just a random suggestion).

The way things are heading, they won't be resolved any time soon, and the last book was long enough as it was.

The two volumes could still be released at the same time, or shortly after each other.

What do people think?
    I'm not sure about this idea; a lot of the first part of this arc is build-up to basically where we are now. So a book that is just the build-up with no pay-off would be...not ideal. Also, two small books would cost more and probably be heavier/more expensive to post than one big one, so it would be a bit of a bind for the Loyal Customer, especially those of us who pay overseas shipping!
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!