New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Taskforce Dragon Reboot (Exalted IC)

Several years have passed since the Steel Lotus incident, when terrorists disguised as members of the famous Taskforce Dragon stole a flight of Meruvian gunships and slaughtered thousands in the capital city of An-Teng. Conspiracy theories abound, both regarding the incident itself and the remarkably diplomatic resolution, but the world as a whole has largely moved on.

New crisis have arisen and been dealt with, new advances made and incorporated into daily life. Sorcery has been created and scientifically proven to exist, opening up an entirely new frontier in technological and cultural development, the implications of which are even now only just coming to light. And, as always, the war against the hostile spirit nations at the perimeter of the world continue to grind ever onwards.

It is this ever-changing and dynamic situation that serves as the backdrop for the impending events, as once again, momentous news is conveyed to you by the most innocuous of techniques. In this case, a letter.

None of you have any idea where the letters come from. One moment, there is nothing next to you but an empty desk or a vacant table - the next, an envelope of deep crimson rests in clear view, addressed to you by name. It is handwritten, another surprise in this age of computers and essence messaging, and aside from it's suspicious delivery there doesn't appear to be anything unusual or supernatural about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Letter
    Honoured members of Task Force Dragon

I am writing this missive with the intent of arranging a meeting between your distinguished selves and I, in the penthouse level of the Garvin building in Crane Bay, one week from today, twelve noon.

I am extending you this invitation for a very simple reason - it has come to my attention that my reputation has been rather unfairly maligned by an individual with whom you have had frequent contact, and I would like a chance to correct that impression. To present my side of the story. Even the most spurious mockeries of the legal system allow the defendant at least that much.

I appreciate, of course, that you might not trust me very much - I can only imagine the tales your informant has spun about my numberless crimes. Therefore, I urge you to take whatever measures you believe would be necessary to guarantee your own security. The penthouse is accessible via a landing pad, if those measures would draw unwanted attention walking the streets to the main entrance. For my part, I will come unarmed and alone, trusting only in your good conduct and the armour of civility to protect me. I think this shows an adequate extension of sincerity on my part.

I also pledge to make no attempts to away your minds beyond reasoned, mundane argument, if such a possibility concerns you.

I hope to see you there, and look forwards to what I trust shall be a most rational and civil meeting between us.

Yours Sincerely
    Gorol
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2013-06-18 at 08:15 PM.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Taskforce Dragon Reboot (Exalted IC)

Brooks slams one hand down on the table, looking around at the rest of the taskforce.
    "So." she says. "Do we trust anything in this letter? Do we go? Exactly how screwed are we?"
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Vannevar Green

Vannevar arches a thin eyebrow at the author-slash-ruler of the Underworld.

"A tad more but a good deal less than you might think, Amelia. Being contacted by this 'Gorol' fellow means that we have come to his attention; the letter's contents indicate that someone who knows of Morgan's mentor-or possibly is the man himself-has realized that we know a trifle more than we should."

He pauses for a moment, fishing out a very sleek black smartphone from his pocket.

"...And yet, this letter arrived despite a security team that I had expected premium service from, and without any sort of warning or premonition of danger, despite our own unique abilities and instincts. If he had wished it, Gorol could have delivered an explosive. Or a canister of nerve gas."
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-06-18 at 11:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Ah, that's right. You weren't present the last time around, Vannevar."

Morgan puts a hand on the table, stilling the vibrations. The Air Aspect's voice is calm, untroubled.

"I can share all I know of Gorol Thrice-Blessed, if you wish, although it may be safer for you to remain ignorant. Your choice. This may be in part a bluff, an attempt to learn something by how we react. But I do think I should go, at least." She smiles faintly, wryly. "I have no reason to trust his word - save that I do not think he has any need to lie to us. Same principle as your point, Vannevar. Likewise, if we do go, my inclination would not be to expend too much mental effort devising precautions against betrayal. Gorol has rather more experience at this than we do."

The scientist-sorceress lifts her hand in a small graceful gesture, the delicate bracelet around her wrist chiming softly, the flame caught within the amber stone flickering bright. (A token from the far South. The bracelet holds one for each Direction; a keepsake and a memory, for those few among the discovery team who were there through the whole long endeavor. Morgan's involvement with the Task Force has been punctuated by lengthy absences, over the past few years.) "I've contacted Fisher already. Securely." There seems to be a new paper on communication sorceries every month, these days, but she still prefers the elemental simplicity of the Wind-Carried Words Technique. "I imagine he'll respond if it's safe for him to do so."

There's a curious formality in Morgan's voice; some of the sentence constructions, the pitch and intonation, are reminiscent of Old Realm. But then, she's been living and breathing that language for most of the past few years: it seems better-suited to sorcerous principles than less structured modern tongues. Perhaps it's unsurprising.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morgan would have called Fisher with the WCWT immediately on receiving the note, just to let him know that Gorol wants to talk to them, and ask him to confirm he's all right (if he is).
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-06-19 at 09:47 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

5. - Top - End - #5

Fisher, somewhat worryingly, has not responded to Morgan's attempts at communication. Anna has likewise vanished in the past few days, and has not yet reappeared. Neither of them gave any reason that indicated they expected to be out of contact.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Carl's fingers rap upon the table as he mulls the news over.

"I think this might be the most obvious trap I have ever seen in my career," the brigadier blurts out gruffly before leaning back into his chair, the hand on the table moving to fidget with his dog tags as he turns to look at Morgan.

"Yeah, he says he'll be unarmed, but let's be honest. How good are the odds that he could kill us with his bare hands?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Air Aspect shrugs, silver-white hair stirring slightly in the ever-present breeze that surrounds her. "Reasonable? I mean, it's not like we're inept at unarmed combat - but we've both sparred with Anna and Fisher, and I had that no-holds-barred fight with Anna when she was trying to arrest us, at the start of the Steel Lotus incident. I'd be surprised if Gorol is less skilled. But more to the point... this is a situation he's designed. He's not going to surrender an advantage if he thinks it might matter."

"I just feel that if he wanted us dead he probably wouldn't need to resort to subterfuge. Which doesn't mean it's not a trap, of course."

Her fingers tap gently on the polished wood of the table. "Have you heard from Anna recently, Carl?"
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Earth Aspect shakes his head.

"Last saw her a few days ago. Not had any word from her since, or any warning beforehand that she'd be going AWOL," he says, shaking his head. "The whole thing reeks. Wouldn't be surprised if Gorol has her and Fisher ready as bargaining chips."
    Last edited by Edge; 2013-06-19 at 02:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"There's also the fact that he's secretly our bosses' bosses' boss or something?" Brooks says, not entirely sure. "And he probably knows we're having this conversation. I expect he's laughing."

She scowls.
    "Somehow, I think we're gnats here. Maybe he's wondering if we're worth swatting."
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Of course he knows we're having this conversation. Hence my desire to not waste too much mental energy on it." Morgan's tone is light, but grows more grim as she looks at Carl. "I share that suspicion. It's part of why I intend to go."

As she speaks, without movement or comment on her part, the breezes that curl around her grow stronger for a moment, ruffling the others' hair. Whispering silently into their inner thoughts:

All right. If you don't want to know everything I know about Gorol, tell me now and I'll drop you from the link. If you stay in, you're in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morgan's favorite Charm goes up again, With One Mind on everyone assembled.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm almost offended you felt the need to ask, Carl jokes over the link. I'm in, Morgan. Hundred and ten per cent.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Leah clears her throat, deliberately avoiding the mindlink for the present.

"We should also keep in mind the chance that he means exactly what he says in the letter. We're pretty prominent these days. We don't like him. You don't stay in power for long by ignoring that sort of thing. He might be confident enough, or arrogant enough, to think he can sway us to his way of thinking. Or at least cast doubt on what he thinks we think." She shrugs. "Even complicated people use simple methods sometimes."

"I'm not saying don't be careful, but I think that's how he'll start. Traps and hostage schemes risk making us outright enemies. There'll be plenty of time for that sort of thing later, if he doesn't get what he wants out of this meeting."

Through the mental link she adds, I'm listening. She hardly needs to say it; Morgan knows her well enough to expect this answer. Besides, they've discussed this subject before, if not recently.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"True, but if he's considering using Fisher and Anna against us in the future, securing them before telling us that he knew would be sensible. And they do seem to have dropped out of contact. Although I suppose that could also be the case if they were hiding."

But as she speaks, she's waiting for silent assent from Vannevar and Brooks, and when they give it -

All right. Here is what I know. Leah's heard most of this already -

The sharing of thoughts has both advantages and disadvantages, for communication. It's easy, especially for an untrained user, for the desired message to be contaminated by an enormous amount of junk data - irrelevant snippets of sentences, personal feelings, idle musings. But on the other hand, it's much faster than talking - and allows the sharing of concepts that are very hard to put into words.

First a memory, from three years past, all images and confusion, filtered by time and Morgan's humanity. The knowledge of that filter, and the memory of the world-changing stunning shock it was to look on them without it - that's part of the memory, too.

An endless city of obsidian and brass, arranged in looping patterns and lit by a burning emerald sun... an infinite expanse of silver sand, desolate and providing... a storm of multi-coloured rain... a shadow in the shape of a great beast... a singularity that walks... a laughing wind... a mountain.... words...

Outside the world they wait. The 'Primordials'. "Somewhere between sentient landscapes, distributed hive-minds, and anthropomorphic personifications of particular concepts" - so I was told.

Millennia ago this world belonged to the spirits, as well as our ancestors and the other races. The greatest among the spirits were the Incarnae...

She shares with them the memories emblazoned in her mind, the images Fisher had clearly cherished for so long. The five sisters, guardians and embodiments of Fate. Pale-haired Luna. Golden Sol.

Spoiler
    Show
    The posts being referenced are here and here: Maugan had lovely descriptions and I don't want to just copy-paste them.

They shared power with mortals, as Fisher told us, back before the Steel Lotus Incident. Created the first Exalted, out of their own strength. The Sidereals, like Fisher and Anna, were made to assist the Maidens in keeping the world stable against the Wyld. I don't know exactly what the Solars' and Lunars' original purpose was.

There was a war, thousands of years ago, between the spirits and Exalted on one hand and the Primordials on the others. Gorol fought in it, Fisher too - on the same side, at first. Gorol was Chosen of Sol, then.

And then he betrayed them, or so Fisher said, along with a few others. Took the power the Primordials offered and turned it against the Incarnae and their fellow Exalts. And won.

The Incarnae were bound away. The Solars joined the winning side, or died. The Lunars scattered. The spirits mostly fled to the poles, to carry on the war. And the Sidereals chose to bow to the victors.

The information is a flood, passing from Morgan's mind to theirs in the seconds between her spoken words. In the conference room, the Air Aspect shakes her head slightly, thoughtfully, carrying on the discussion out loud. "I have a tracer spell, I could try to find where they are. It doesn't always function against magical concealment though."

And silently she continues, her mind flashing up memories of the war in the North, of howling ice-storms and infowar attacks to cripple cities, laid against the white-hot searing of a soul's brand.

Fisher is under pretty severe magical control, if you remember. She flashes the memory of the Essence-pattern against her fingertips to Vannevar. Compelled eternal loyalty, and a failsafe Charm that basically melts him from inside if he violates any of the trigger conditions. Gorol was the one who set those controls. An edge of fury is perceptible, through the emotionless calm of the sending. Not hard to tell, since he signed his name to the brand. He is also, Vannevar, the Head of Special Operations for the Office of Meruvian Intelligence.

The Althing, as Fisher calls it, is the organization of the Exalts who won that war, and - much more commonly - their heirs. Originally Exalted of the Sun, now also bearing the power of the Primordials. You know what he and Anna have told us about them. I don't think there are many around who would remember the beginning of the war, but Gorol is one of them.

So... that's what we're dealing with. A millennia-old immortal who apparently specializes in very nasty mind-control Charms, who fought on both sides of a war between the Sun, Moon and Fate on one hand, and vast inhuman embodiments of abstract concepts on the other. Who
    won that war. And yes, Brooks, also our boss.

"So do we all want to go, or have someone stay on the outside?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-06-21 at 12:28 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Vannevar

If the illustrious Professor Uqalik wishes to share information with me, I cannot in good conscience say no.

He listens to Morgan's tale, silent and still, and when she is finished, gives no outward indications of his inclinations.

"Even the greatest may be slain by surprise. If one of us were to remain outside and far enough away, with suitable weaponry...purely for insurance purposes, of course. The letter does specify that we can make such preparations such that we deem necessary."

An interesting story. But, as I know little of either Fisher or the study of Essence, you will forgive my hesitation regarding the details of such a fantastic tale. While I am sure that Fisher's honesty is without question, time and resentment may have caused him to omit details, and the man is hardly without bias.
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

No. But I touched the Charms laid on him, signed with Gorol's name. And I saw the Primordials, beyond the boundaries of the world. So in these matters we have independent confirmation. He surely did omit details; five thousand years would have too many of them to tell. But I do not think he would have lied outright to me.

Morgan nods to Vannevar. "If you'd like to take that role, I'd have no objections. Or maybe Carl or Brooks...?" She glances at the Earth and Fire Aspects. "Vannevar, Leah, you're generally our experts at figuring people out. Might be handy to have you in the meeting."

Spoiler
    Show
    If Leah is no longer investigation-heavy, The_Snark, let me know, but I think you said she was still a detective.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-06-23 at 12:22 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Vannevar

Vannevar drums his fingers against the table idylly, frowning at the state of his nails.

"I'm more skilled with small arms than long, I fear. Though, of course, my suggestions are merely an offering of opinion. "

Yes. But merely because Fisher told you of the origins of the world, does not mean that spiritual rule is correct. He benefited from the prior arrangement; there was a war, and these 'Primordials' won, with the current results. He fought in such a war, and is now bound to the victor's will. That does not mean that Fisher is more moral than Gorol, or that the spirits who continue to attack us today-who our men fight against-are somehow correct. I am not endorsing one over the other. But you have still only heard the story from a single side. If a Factor of the Guild Coaltion were to speak of his former country today, and you did not know of Meruvia, you should not accept his story so readily.

Spoiler
    Show

Obviously, Vannevar is wrong. But he doesn't know it, and he does have a point.
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-06-23 at 12:32 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Morgan raises an eyebrow at Vannevar. "You're one of us, as involved in this as anyone. Your suggestions have the same weight as any of ours." She smiles slightly.

... you may have the wrong idea, Vannevar. I've fought the spirit war as well. Perhaps more directly than you have. I've had this information for three years: do you see me trying to overthrow the government? I care about Fisher, who taught me, who risked himself to give us information we needed, who saved my life when there was nothing in it for him. What was done to him was vile, and I would see it undone, and the fact that Gorol did it makes it... hard... for me to respect or trust him.

But Fisher doesn't hate the Infernals, or want to see the world we know brought down - as enough of the spirits do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morgan's loyalties are also somewhat complex here, even without knowing that her best friend from childhood is an Infernal.

Morgan is also a Compassion-5 Idealistic Academic.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-06-23 at 12:59 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure, I could go on overwatch if you guys wanted me to," Carl responds. "Shouldn't be too hard for me to requisition a sniper."

Of course, there might be a better option. If we can grab blueprints of the Garvin building, well... Concrete's made out of earth on the elemental level, right? If we needed to get the f**k out of dodge, I'm sure that 'removing' the building's load-bearing structures might get the bastard's attention.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Or me." Brooks shrugs. "I can't blow things up from the same range as a rifle, but I'm certainly not bad at it. I mean, we all know what happened last time I sniped someone..."
    It's been several years, and Brooks still doesn't quite follow what chain of events led to her life as it is now.

"If we're worried about not knowing the other side of the story, then isn't that what he wants to tell us? I mean, problem solved right there."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Heh. We could have your Dragon on overwatch, perhaps, Brooks? We'd want him nearby anyway, I think." Morgan's tone is nearly affectionate. She's rather proud of the Dragon, even if his interpersonal interaction skills still leave a little to be desired.

I'd rather not collapse a building in an inhabited area, Carl; we don't have Anna's skills to ensure nobody is injured. Unless you think you can control it that finely? Even if we could protect bystanders, there'll be innocents on the lower floors, unless Gorol's had them evacuated.

Oh, another point - for those of you who know it, the Defense-From-Anathema Method should work against Gorol. It appears to function in the presence of anyone Exalted by the spirits.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Vannevar

I apologize, Professor, and for questioning your judgement. I merely wished to note and account for two possibilities.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thank you for doing so, Vannevar. Don't worry, I wasn't offended. But as Brooks said... that's a reason to go, and hear his story. Not a reason to trust. Which I think was your point also. The Air Aspect smiles, but doesn't speak, waiting for others' input.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Leah's heard most of this story before, but it's not the kind of thing that gets easier to face the second time around, even if she's felt the truth of it herself. Especially if she's felt the truth of it herself. It's something of a relief to dive into the minutiae of precautions and preparations.

"Well, I think we all agree that we can't just pass on this," she says eventually, still turning over options in her head. "Personally, I'd rather have us all in the room. Safety in numbers - which is another reason I don't think it's a trap. If he just wanted us dead, he could have gone after us separately, taken us all off-guard. As a team, we're hard to kill." This is said matter-of-factly, a statement of fact rather than a boast.

And if it is a trap, he'll have prepped for it; I'm not sure a sniper would catch him off guard. We can check out the area before we go in, just to be sure. If we really want to call his bluff? Ask him to come meet us somewhere else, at a location of our choosing.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I'm certainly not going to tell anyone they shouldn't come," Morgan agrees. "We could name an alternate place or time. Outside the city, we wouldn't have to worry so much about innocents getting hurt if it does go bad, and it would give us more freedom for elemental manipulation. I can send a message to Gorol by sorcery, if we want to do that. I doubt he'll have any trouble getting to a remote area." She smiles slightly. "And it'd mean the Dragon would have less arguing to do with air traffic control, although I know he sometimes enjoys it."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-06-25 at 07:35 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Vannevar

Vannevar strokes his chin, shifts in his chair.

"Even Hand has a corporate retreat we use, near the slopes of Mount Meru. Leadership training, team building, that sort of thing. It's fairly secluded, fairly luxurious, and isolated enough - you see cars coming miles before they arrive. We don't own it, but we can rent it for a few days."

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Morgan nods. "That sounds good. Just make sure we've rented it exclusively. If this goes wrong, I don't want innocents caught in the crossfire. Um... might want to see if you can arrange for any administrative staff to take a paid vacation for a couple of days, too."

A place like that probably has good insurance, right? Right.

The Air Aspect leans back in her chair. "I'll send the message, then, once you have the location confirmed, Vannevar. Same time as the initial request, a week from today?"

Part of her would like it to be earlier, but... if Gorol has taken steps to get Fisher and Anna out of the way, they should still be perfectly safe. There's absolutely no reason for him to harm them before talking to you.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-06-25 at 08:40 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Spoiler
    Show
    And... SCENE CHANGE.

A week later, exactly five minutes before the agreed upon meeting time, Gorol Thrice-Blessed walks in through the front gates of the corporate retreat, completely alone.

There's not much doubt as to who this is - quite apart from the fact that no one else has a legitimate reason for being here, there is a certain air about him that you have only felt before in the presence of the truly rich and powerful. It straddles the line between arrogance and supreme self-confidence, and Gorol wears it like a cloak.

In physical appearance, he is remarkably ordinary - glittering green eyes, shoulder length black hair, a complete lack of any distinguishing scars or unusual features - yet there is a certain indefinable something that would make him stand out from any hypothetical crowd. Even now, dressed in comfortable slacks and with an expensive silk shirt halfway open, he manages to look almost regally important.

It doesn't hurt that he evidently takes great care of his own body. As he walks across the grounds towards you, you cannot help but notice the smooth, almost inhuman grace behind his every movement, or the carefully precise gestures that speak of immense strength held under tight control. When he speaks, his voice has a warm, rolling quality to it, with an accent that is not quite easy to pin down.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for agreeing to see me." he says with a slight nod. "Shall we get down to the matter at hand?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The front entrance to the retreat is an elegantly landscaped garden, bounded by the flagstone-paved road that curves around toward the buildings. Water cascades down an artful tumble of stones, filling the air with its whispering; graveled paths and lush green lawn and polished wooden benches are shaded by cherry trees draped in snowy blossoms.

It's a pretty time of year, and a pretty location, despite the looming vertiginous presence of Mount Meru blotting out part of the sky. Calm. Peaceful.

Until now, at least.

Morgan is seated on a rounded rock beside the waterfall. She is dressed relatively informally: a wide-sleeved green silk jacket over a white blouse and dark slacks. Her silvery hair falls to her waist in a single thick braid.

A small bronze plaque at the rock's base names a designer; she noticed it when she arrived, along with the rest of the flood of sensory information assailing her fugue-enhanced senses. She's tried to keep most of it from the link, blurring it to a bearable background of noise for her allies - but for herself, she'd rather go into this with eyes wide open.

And so she listens to the patterns of Essence in the sound of water, and watches insects trying to hide against the bark of trees, until Gorol arrives and gives her something much more interesting to examine.

She looks first for mortal truths, but with the eyes of one who sees beyond sight, to the sparking Essence-flows of the world. He seems calm, relaxed, warm: how much of that is true, and how much a mask? One could wear... many masks, in five millennia.

And then she opens her inner eyes wider still, to direct perception of the Essence of the man called Thrice-Blessed. She expects it to dazzle, to burn - like a flash of lightning, or looking into the sun - but fear has never held her back from knowledge before.

"As you wish," she says evenly, after a moment, when no one else speaks first. "Have a seat?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Morgan has precast Fugue of Truth, and also has active Defense-From-Anathema Method and With One Mind.

I would like to attempt a Read Motivation action, since Fugue of Truth enhances those, to try to pick up Gorol's dominant emotion in the scene. It's a Perception+Socialize roll,
    (5d10)[1][10][6][3][10](30)
    +possible stunt (3d10)[1][8][2](11)
    +5 sux from the spell.
    EDIT: 9 sux base, 10 with a 2-die stunt.

Difficulty is his (Manip+Socialize)/2. If I hit double the difficulty I start intuiting Intimacies.

Then spending 3m to reflexively activate an All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight equivalent, again via Fugue of Truth.
    (10d10)[10][6][7][3][7][4][1][5][8][6](57) Int+Occult
    (2d10)[10][9](19) Scientific Method specialty (observation is a key ingredient!)
    (3d10)[3][4][5](12) possible stunt.
    EDIT: 5 sux base, 8 sux if specialty applies.

All UMI and astrological blessings/curses are Obvious to me, until I dismiss the spell (or sleep).
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-06-26 at 08:35 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Vannevar

At Morgan's side is a slim, black and silver tablet. A yellow, slightly adhesive note is attached to the back.

Set Me Up, it reads, in Vannevar's flowing script. Knowing the Water Aspect, the word choice is no accident.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

As Gorol walks forward, Morgan reaches down and thumbs the tablet on, tilting it back against the sun-warmed stone so the camera has a good view of the approaching... Exalt?
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show