New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Stand tall to protect the world from space monsters (3.5, ultraman based class)

Kyodai (巨大)

I'll try and get to fluff later, but for now I've always remembered Ultraman from my childhood (due to an uncle and older brother who liked it), and wanted to make a D&D class that became a giant to fight enemies (didn't have to be Ultraman when it did so necessarily). So I tried to make a class based on Ultraman, while I'm sure it doesn't get all the abilities of the Ultra-Crusaders, or even just of the original Ultraman, I did my best and hope somebody will enjoy it. At some point I'll also try and think up ACFs that let you play a less Ultraman themed version for characters more like Marvel's Giant Man for example.

Well hope you all enjoy. Also if you think it's broken speak up (I'm curious whether I should give them Flurry of Blows personally).

Kyodai
    Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
    1st
    +0
    +2
    +0
    +2
    Giant Form, Unarmed Strike, AC Bonus
    2nd
    +1
    +3
    +0
    +3
    Ultra Beams 1/encounter
    3rd
    +2
    +3
    +1
    +3
    Giant’s Stride
    4th
    +3
    +4
    +1
    +4
    Quick Transformation
    5th
    +3
    +4
    +1
    +4
    Giant Form (Huge), Leaping
    6th
    +4
    +5
    +2
    +5
    Giant Combatant, Ultra Blast 1/encounter
    7th
    +5
    +5
    +2
    +5
    Flight
    8th
    +6/1
    +6
    +2
    +6
    Ultra Beam 2/encounter, Telepathy
    9th
    +6/1
    +6
    +3
    +6
    Sustenance
    10th
    +7/2
    +7
    +3
    +7
    Giant Form (Gargantuan)
    11th
    +8/3
    +7
    +3
    +7
    Swift Transformation
    12th
    +9/4
    +8
    +4
    +8
    Ultra Blast 2/encounter
    13th
    +9/4
    +8
    +4
    +8
    Global Telepathy
    14th
    +10/5
    +9
    +4
    +9
    Extended Flight, Ultra Beam 3/encounter
    15th
    +11/6/1
    +9
    +5
    +9
    Giant Form (Colossal)
    16th
    +12/7/2
    +10
    +5
    +10
    Universal Telepathy
    17th
    +12/7/2
    +10
    +5
    +10
    Reactive Transformation
    18th
    +13/8/3
    +11
    +6
    +11
    Ultra Blast 3/encounter
    19th
    +14/9/4
    +11
    +6
    +11
    True Ultra Beam 1/day
    20th
    +15/10/5
    +12
    +6
    +12
    Giant Form (Improved), Ultra Beam 4/encounter

HD type: d10.

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (the Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skills per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Kyodai is proficient in their own unarmed strikes, clubs, daggers, heavy and light crossbows, javelins, and quarterstaffs, but no armor.

Giant Form (Ex): As a standard action a Kyodai may increase their size, their skin changing to become silver with red or blue markings and a blue gem placed in the center of their chest. After 3 + Constitution modifier (in Giant Form) rounds they revert to their natural form, the blue gem beginning to flash red when they have less than 5 rounds or 1/3rd their remaining duration (whichever is less) remaining. Once their giant form ends they are fatigued for 5 minutes and must wait 5 minutes before using it again. They may end this ability prematurely as a Standard action, but doing so still leaves them fatigued. Magic items except for weapons and armor will resize with the user, continuing to function, magic arms and armor do not do so unless specifically enchanted for this purposes (such as the sizing enchantment). This ability does not stack with other abilities that increase a creature’s size, and cannot be used to reduce the user’s size (so if they’re huge they may become large with the Lv 1 version also see below for more detail). The Kyodai always gains reach as per its new size and in the case of bipedal creatures are considered tall creatures.

At 1st level they gain +4 Str, +2 Con, +2 Natural Armor and become Large size. They may also choose to become Medium size if their natural size is smaller in which case they gain +2 Str and +1 Natural armor.

At 5th level they may instead assume Huge size gaining +8 Str, +4 Con, +3 Natural Armor, or may gain +6 Str, +2 Con, +2 Natural Armor and become Large size. If they become Large (or Medium) this ability has a duration of Constitution modifier minutes instead of 3 + Con modifier rounds.

At 10th level they may instead become Gargantuan size gaining a +12 Str, +6 Con, +5 Natural Armor, or may gain +10 Str, +4 Con, and +4 Natural Armor as a Huge creature (duration Constitution modifier minutes), or gain +8 Str, +4 Con, and +3 Natural Armor as a Large creature with a duration of Constitution modifier x 10 minutes (this duration is also used for their medium form). In addition they may assume Huge and Gargantuan forms from their Large (or medium) form but the duration of their new ability is the lesser of the remaining duration in their Large form or the normal duration of their Gargantuan or Huge size.

At 15th level they may become Colossal gaining +16 Str, +10 Con, and +8 Natural Armor, or become Gargantuan gaining +14 Str, +6 Con, and +6 Natural Armor for Constitution minutes, or become Huge and gain +12 Str, +6 Con, and +5 Natural Armor (duration Con mod x 10 minutes) from which they may assume larger forms, or Large gaining +10 Str, +6 Con, and +5 Natural Armor with a duration of ½ Con modifier hours (this duration is also used for Medium form).

At 20th level they gain an additional +4 Str, +2 Con, and +2 Natural Armor when using Giant Form, in addition you may remain in Giant Form indefinitely.

Spoiler: Naturally Large+ Kyodai
    Show
    In Gestalt games if your natural size is large or larger and you use the Giant Form ability to become a size category larger than your norm you do not gain the full benefits to Strength, Constitution, and Natural Armor. Instead you subtract the bonus to Strength, Constitution, and Natural Armor which Giant Form would have given you for your natural size at the level your natural size became available, and gain that reduced bonus. You may invoke the ability to become your natural size once you have the ability to become larger sizes applying the same reduction to the bonuses granted. For example an Ogre Kyodai with 5 levels in Kyodai could become Huge gaining +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, and +1 Natural Armor or become Large and gain +2 Strength. The same Ogre at level 15 could become colossal gaining +12 Str, +8 Con, +6 natural armor or if they became large gain +6 Str, +4 Con, and +3 natural armor.

In non-gestalt you may apply the full bonus when becoming your own size or larger.

AC Bonus (Ex): A kyodai gains a bonus to AC identical to that of a monk of their level, and kyodai and monk levels stack for determining their total AC bonus.

Unarmed Strike (Ex): A kyodai gains an unarmed strike like that of a monk's except their damage progresses more slowly (to avoid Improved Unarmed Strike pushing their damage off the SS chart at Colossal size and 20th level). A multiclass kyodai/monk may add 4/5th their kyodai levels to their monk levels or their monk levels to their kyodai levels to determine unarmed damage. A kyodai does not gain flurry of blows.

{table=head]Level|Unarmed Damage
    1st-3rd|1d6
    4th-8th|1d8
    9th-13th|1d10
    14-18th|2d6
    19th-20th|2d8[/table]

Ultra Beams (Su): Once per encounter a Kyodai may fire a beam of spiritual energy at a target. This attack is designed to utterly destroy a weakened enemy, and requires both hands to be free and empty to be activated. When using Ultra Beams the Kyodai rolls a ranged touch attack against a target within 10 x their reach granted by size (100-ft at large, 150-ft at huge, 200-ft at gargantuan, 300-ft at colossal), though they may choose to use their Wisdom instead of their Dexterity for this attack. If they hit they then roll 2d4 per Class level and compare the total with the target’s remaining hp, if it is greater than their hp the target is immediately killed/destroyed (in the case of undead/constructs), if it is less than or equal to the target’s remaining hp they instead take damage equal to ½ the total rolled. They may use this ability twice per encounter starting at Lv 8, 3 times at Lv 14, and 4 times beginning at Lv 20.

Giant’s Stride (Ex): A Kyodai becomes accustomed to their increased size, moving with agility and speed befitting a creature with such lengthened legs. While this is not directly proportional to size increase, due to the additional considerations that factor into speed than just leg length, a Kyodai does gain a small amount of speed with transformation. When using Giant Form a Kyodai’s speed increases by 10-ft per size category their size has increased (so a Small creature that has become Huge would get a +30-ft increase, while a Medium that has become Large would gain a +10-ft increase).

Quick Transformation (Ex): Beginning at 4th level a Kyodai may use (or deactivate) Giant Form as a Move action instead of as a Standard action (they may still choose to do so as a Standard action).

Leaping (Ex): Beginning at 5th level a Kyodai gains phenomenal ability to jump. When using Giant Form they double the distance that they move as part of a jump if they are Large, quadruple if Huge, multiply by 8 if Gargantuan, or by 16 if colossal.

Giant Combatant (Ex): A kyodai grows accustomed to fighting as a massive creature. Beginning at 6th level a Kyodai only suffers half the normal size penalty rounded down (+0/-1/-2/-4 for attack and damage).

Ultra Blast (Su): A Kyodai can focus their ki in more forms of attack than simply their Ultra Beam. Beginning at 6th level the Kyodai learns how to release an aggressive burst of ki that carries the power of their fists towards all enemies in their path. This manifests as a line 10-ft long per class level, and with a width equal to your space (5-ft if Small or Medium, 10-ft if Large, 15-ft if huge, 20-ft if gargantuan, 30-ft if colossal). This line deals damage equal to the Kyodai’s unarmed strike to any number of targets within the area (it must still be targeted), but allows a Reflex save (DC 10 +1/2 Kyodai class level + Kyodai’s Strength modifier) for half damage. This ability may be used 1/encounter at 6th level, 2/encounter at 12th, and 3/encounter at 18th level.

Flight (Su): A Kyodai learns to use his ki for more purposes than just attacks. Beginning at 7th level a kyodai may focus their ki to propel them in flight for Character Level x Con modifier (in current form) rounds per day. This flight has a base speed of 50-ft (modified by Giant’s Stride) and a maneuverability of Average.

Telepathy (Su): Beginning at 8th level, a Kyodai’s ki allows him to communicate telepathically with any creature that has a language within a range of 10 times their melee reach granted by size (100-ft at large, 150-ft at huge, 200-ft at gargantuan, 300-ft at colossal).

Sustenance (Ex): Beginning at 9th level a Kyodai’s ki serves to sustain him while in his Giant Form. When in Giant Form a Kyodai does not need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep (though still needs 8 hours of rest to regain spells if applicable).

Swift Transformation (Ex): Beginning at 11th level a Kyodai may transform more quickly. He may now activate, or deactivate, Giant Form as a Swift action (he retains the ability to activate it as a Standard or Move action).

Global Telepathy (Su): Beginning at 13th level a Kyodai may initiate telepathic communications with a creature they have had personal contact with and are familiar with (must have spent at least 24 waking hours around) as long as they are on the same plane. For abilities dependent upon the range of their telepathy (such as the Mind Sight feat) they use their regular telepathy range instead of the infinite range of this ability.

Extended Flight (Su): A kyodai’s mastery of Ki continues to increase, beginning at 14th level they no longer have a maximum duration on their Flight ability.

Universal Telepathy (Su): Beginning at 16th level a Kyodai’s telepathy allows him to communicate even with creatures that do not possess a language, or even plants and stone. This allows a kyodai to communicate with any creature with at least 1 Int, as well as plants, and stones (as if through Speak with Plants and Stone Tell).

Reactive Transformation (Ex): A kyodai’s skill at transformation continues to increase, allowing them to transform in reaction to an enemy. Beginning at 17th level a Kyodai may activate (or deactivate) their Giant Form as an immediate reaction.

True Ultra Beam (Su): As a kyodai approaches full mastery of their powers, their skill allows them to focus their ki into an extraordinarily deadly blast of energy. To hit a target with this beam requires a ranged touch attack (a kyodai may choose to use their Wisdom modifier instead of their Dex modifier for this attack roll) with a range of 10 x their reach from size (100-ft at large, 150-ft at huge, 200-ft at gargantuan, 300-ft at colossal), if they hit the target must make a Fort save (DC 10 + ½ Kyodai class level + Kyodai’s Wisdom modifier) or be destroyed (if used on an object this simply destroys up to 20 10-ft cubes of unworked matter, or a single piece of worked material within 5 10-ft cubes). On a successful save the target still takes 20d6 damage.

A kyodai may only use this ability once per day.

Kyojin Alternate Class Feature
    Spoiler
    Show
    For those that would rather emulate a giant, naked man-eating creature, although it could be used for a more mundane giant if the bite attack and Fast Healing were replaced... it's also strictly better than a non-pouncing pure class barbarian:
    Pros:
    Level 2: Damage Reduction 1/-, this increases by 1 at 5th level and every 3rd level there after.
    Level 7: The ability to rage like a barbarian 1/day. You gain an additional use of this ability at 13th and 19th level.
    Level 9: A racial bite attack dealing 1d8 damage if medium size (2d6 if large, 3d6 if huge, 4d6 if gargantuan, 6d6 if colossal).
    Level 12: Fast Healing 2, may regrow limbs given time (1 hour)
    Level 16: Tireless Rage (as a barbarian).
    Level 18: Fast Healing becomes 5, may regrow limbs given 1 minute.
    Level 20: Greater Rage as the barbarian ability.

Cons:
    Loses all Su features, Leaping, and Sustenance.

Undead/Deathless/Construct Kyodai: A kyodai without a Constitution score uses their Strength in place of Constitution for determining the duration of the Giant Form.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2015-05-28 at 08:10 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Stand tall to protect the world from space monsters (3.5, ultraman based class)

This was one of my favorite shows on Saturday mornings when I was younger, I've gotta use this!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Stand tall to protect the world from space monsters (3.5, ultraman based class)

I loved the series to, an well now that this brought back memories I started looking up more ultra stuff an had no idea there was so many versions of the yrs

but any who

I was wondering if this class and
    Sentai
    could work together, I mean can you henshin an me in giant form, or is that a idea for a prc.

I am wanting to know because there is a lvl 30 hero vs kaiju rp I am gonna be in. An was wondering if that would be a good idea.

I think the hero suit is described as forming to fit, so I assume it would grow with you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Shuwatch!!
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWolfPrime View Post
    I loved the series to, an well now that this brought back memories I started looking up more ultra stuff an had no idea there was so many versions of the yrs

but any who

I was wondering if this class and
    Sentai
    could work together, I mean can you henshin an me in giant form, or is that a idea for a prc.

I am wanting to know because there is a lvl 30 hero vs kaiju rp I am gonna be in. An was wondering if that would be a good idea.

I think the hero suit is described as forming to fit, so I assume it would grow with you.
    I'm not familiar enough with the Sentai to say (having never seen it in play and only read some of the lower level abilities) but I will admit it's what got my mind on Ultraman for making this class (started with thinking about Megazord battles).

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I think this class has got some great potential. I have the Kyodai/Sentai hybrid PrC that LunarWolfPrime requested here on the Sentai thread. The only thing missing as of right now are the buffet of Gigantic Ability options.

Mecha Senshi allows you pilot the Megazord, but Gigantic Senshi lets you BECOME the Megazord.

EDIT: Didn't realize that you had the class listed as Giant Hero in your sig. Changed the name of the class.
    Last edited by zhdarkstar; 2013-09-01 at 01:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Added an ACF for playing a titan from Shingeki no Kyojin. Or just a regenerative giant that bites people. Still trying for one appropriate to giant man, and thinking it might involve a few bonus feats and probably not make up for losing Flight and Telepathy (via Mind Sight).

Current Projects: