New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5 Monster and Race] Ectoxene [PEACH]

ECTOXENE
    Out the corner of your eye you notice a faintly humanoid creature. Its skin is rubbery and the color of decay. Its head is warped, seeming somewhere between that of a human and a horn-less goat, though lacking in any mouth, let alone a lower jaw. Where one would expect only a pair of eyes, there rests two pairs of solid blood red orbs, one pair over the other. The 'skin' of it's chest bares an appearance and texture similar to that of a crocodile's hide, with a toothy maw at it's center that separates it's 'ribs' when it opens. It's arms are structured similar to that of the hind legs of an animal, with two powerful tentacles sprouting from the abdomen just below and in front of them. In in place of legs it has a mass of tentacles, wrapped around each other in a twisted mockery of legs. As you turn towards it, however, it appears almost human. Unsettling, but remarkably normal.

Ectoxene
    Medium Outsider (extraplanar)
    Hit Die: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 40ft.
    Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+8
    Attack: Tentacle +9 melee (1d6+2)
    Full Attack: 2 tentacles +9 melee (1d6+2)
    Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, True Strike
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., damage reduction 5/magic, immunity to poison, resistance to acid 10, electricity 10, disturbing presence
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 15, Cha 2
    Skills: Balance 7, Climb 11, Jump 11, Knowledge (the planes) 8, Listen 7, Sense Motive 11, Spot 10, Survival 11
    Feats: Improved Natural Attack (tentacle), Iron Will, Weapon focus (Tentacle)
    Environment: Underground
    Challenge rating: 5
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +5

Born from unions between fathers native to the far-realm and planetouched mothers (typically alloprax), ectoxenes are horrors to behold, such that looking at them directly, one's mind rejects what it perceives, leaving only the appearance of a mortal being such as a human. While incredibly rare in most places, among the alloprax their creation is as frequent and as sought after as that of draegloth in drow society. Alien in mindset, they act in ways and for reasons often beyond mortal comprehension, often appearing simply as random and cruel exceedingly. As a species they are nothing short of insane. Morality seems to be a foreign concept to them, though a few in the very least show a lack of desire to inflict harm without a good cause.
    While they lack the benefit of the ability to take on the form of another creature, the minds of most observers upon seeing an extoxene simply shows them as relatively normal humans. Only in one's peripheral vision, or in races able to understand the alien geometries of the far-realm, can one see the horror of their true form.

For more information on the alloprax, click here: (*)

Ectoxene as Characters
    Ectoxene possess the following racial traits:
    • +4 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Con, +4 Wis, -10 Cha (minimum 2). If the Charisma penalty would reduce the character's Charisma score below 2, any remaining points are subtracted from Intelligence instead (minimum 3).
    • Medium size
    • Ectoxenes are Outsiders of the extraplanar subtype. They possess this subtype on every plane with exception to that of the far-realm.
    • An ectoxene's base land speed is 40 feet.
    • Blindsight out to 60 feet.
    • An ectoxene begins with six levels of outsider, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +5, Ref +5, and Will +5
    • Racial Skills: An ectoxene's outsider levels give it skill points equal to (8+Int modifier)x9. Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Jump, Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival
    • Racial Feats: An ectoxene's outsider levels give it three feats.
    • An ectoxene possesses 2 tentacles that they may use to attack. An ectoxene's tentacle attack deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage.
    • +4 natural armor bonus
    • Immunity to poison
    • Resistance to acid 10 and electricity 10
    • Spell Resistance (10 + Hit Dice)
    • Damage reduction 5/magic
    • Disturbing presence (Su): An ectoxene bestows a -1 morale penalty on attack rolls against them.
    • True Strike (Su): Once per day, an ectoxene can make a normal attack with a +20 insight bonus on a single attack roll. The ectoxene is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.
    • Spell-like abilities: An ectoxene possesses 2 of the following:
      Blink (7/day), Blur (at-will), Stinking Cloud (7/day), or Touch of Idiocy (At-will)
    • Automatic Languages: Common, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, and Orc.
    • Favored Class: Cleric
    • Level Adjustment +5
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-10-29 at 06:34 AM.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5 Monster and Race] Ectoxene [PEACH]

I don't have the time for a complete comparison but from just looking at the LA, you seem to have made the Ectoxene a "marquis/baron" version. What's the reason for this?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Really it was little more than a whim, a desire to have something that is more than half 'far-spawn'. The LA on it just made sense at the time I made it, as I was not entirely sure the exact LA to assign it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    Really it was little more than a whim, a desire to have something that is more than half 'far-spawn'. The LA on it just made sense at the time I made it, as I was not entirely sure the exact LA to assign it.
    What I meant is that there are two types of cambions: normal and baron/marquis. Shouldn't there also be two types of Ectoxenes? I'm not saying you should do it but the absence seemed to be unremarked on. You also didn't label the one in the OP as a "marquis/baron" Ectoxene.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Logically, there could be. But, we are then looking at something that would be the biological child of a half-farspawn mother and father llymic or a similar entity. No

I could certainly tack on a greater variant, altering the ability scores and adding an ability in exchange for a higher LA.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

It's okay but why is it an Outsider? what is its native plane (that should be its environment). Outsiders can be banished. Not fun for PCs.

I think this should be an Aberration rather than an Outsider and it could still have the Extraplanar subtype but wouldn't it be Native like the Alloprax?

If these are Blind and have blindsight, you need to mention it. It's rather silly to have a seeing creature with blindsight.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    It's okay but why is it an Outsider? what is its native plane (that should be its environment). Outsiders can be banished. Not fun for PCs.

I think this should be an Aberration rather than an Outsider and it could still have the Extraplanar subtype but wouldn't it be Native like the Alloprax?

If these are Blind and have blindsight, you need to mention it. It's rather silly to have a seeing creature with blindsight.

Debby
    They are outsiders considered to be native to the far-realm, simular to how cambions are considered outsiders native to the abyss. I see why aberration would make sense but it would be inconsistant.

Alloprax, being 'Plane'touched, are outsiders.
    Half-Farspawn are outsiders.
    Father Llymic is an outsider.

Why would Ectoxene then stand apart in type then?

I see your point on blindsight. I should make it explicit thst they are otherwise actually blind.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

They would be native like their mothers. Alloprax are Native Outsiders.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    They would be native like their mothers. Alloprax are Native Outsiders.

Debby
    Logically, yes. Historically, no. Cambions, their demonic (and official) counderpart are Outsider (Chaos, Evil).