New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default misfit mercenaries (IC thread)

our tail begin in the sprawling border city of Aelhaven, here people of many different races live out their lives as best they can with out having to worry too much about the politics of the lager kingdoms which do know govern this free city.

that is not to say there is not rule of law, the city is governed by lord Dion Harton, and enforced by the city watch.

after the lord and his court the next most powerful people are the 5 guilds of the city

guild Dainos the guild of arcane magic

guild Tenold the guild of divine magic

guild Striecaw the guild of metalwork

guild Lloikor the guild or exotic goods

guild Luntbur the guild of stonemasons

each guild is responsible for its own area of trade and services and they enforce that only members can practice their craft inside the city walls, so if you want to cast a arcane spell you must be a member of the Dainos guild, if you want to cast a healing spell then you must be in the Tenold guild.

in a city this large there also exist unofficial organisations like the band of Toonlor a mercenary group that sprung up to try and get the various sell-swords and other travelling warriors for heir more organised so that it was easier for both parties to find each other and arrange a contract to be drawn up.

there are also rumours of illegal groups operating in the city like that of the assassin's guild and such groups have high bounties on their head but most people are too scared to try to claim them.

and so into this city come our heroes, a small group of would be mercenaries looking to make it big in this large city of opportunity

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: misfit mercenaries (IC thread)

Xukhezur stood before the city's main notice board, amidst the central market square. Perusing the ads for opportunities to make the money he would require to pursue his projects, and decided his best bet would be to seek contractual employment for Guild Dainos. He was somewhat capable of scribing nearly any beginner's scroll that they might seek for their spellbooks, but if they could lend him an appropriate item while he visited their workplace, it would improve his chances of success. He figured that he could try to make an arrangement, to work for them on a contractual basis, so that if his crew were to leave on a mission or an assignment, he could accompany them.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2013-11-20 at 05:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

joining the guild and finding work is not hard but with the the upfront cost membership and all the other charges you are required to make to the guild you only end up making 10 gold before exhausting all the work that you could do by yourself.
    Last edited by jlmdragon; 2013-11-20 at 05:36 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

What be worthy o' me talents? Silas asks as he allows his eyes to skim through the work board for something big and exciting.
    Last edited by drack; 2013-11-20 at 06:44 AM.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

We could see if we could get in touch with the Toonlor, see if they have any clients in need of particular skills. Tithe studies the board with the others.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

There should be something up here to deal with. It's not like everything's peachy. Shafirelooked to the board, his tentacles kept away where he would not be ridiculed by the average swordsmen of the city. Just give me a year, and I'll grow beyond all of you. Hmm... Telepathy might be nice. Maybe I can develop that sometime soon... Though I'll have to learn how to hide my disdain.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

the ninja grins as he prepares his kamas and equipment for his secret assignment from the Lloikor guild, looking at the image of his next target, feeling the thrill build up of the kill and the pride he would get in completing the job

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

on the notice board you see many different jobs listed but 3 stand out as suitable for your group

1) cultists wanted dead, bring in both ears for proof of death, see peter smith for more details.

2) rare ingredients wanted by trader Darius crumb, see him for more details.

3) body guards wanted by member of guild Tenold, see Matthew the lightseeker.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Silas tears down the first request before looking about him. "Well, you all seem like fine fellas, how would ya' like to join with me in cultist hunting. It seems we need to take 'em by the ear."
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

10. - Top - End - #10

Xukhezur looks over to the others, and figures that he'd need their help if he wanted to cash in on the the more difficult tasks. "I'll help if in any way I am able, although I do believe we may be under equipped to properly deal with the cultists. It might be prudent to see what each of these jobs are about first, and to work our way up by order of difficulty, investing the rewards of each task towards gear that can be used for subsequent endeavors."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Silas grins confidently. "Nonsense, here you're looking at the best damned huntsmen on this side of the world!"

12. - Top - End - #12

Xukhezur sighed. "Well, if that's true, what could I do to help, without actually hindering your efforts? Without the funds and equipment I require for my intended projects, I feel my capabilities are somewhat limited. Although I'm reasonably strong and can swing a weapon, I am still a novice in my field and not exceptionally stealthy."
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2013-11-20 at 05:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Silas slaps that man on the back enthusiastically. "Then you must then be quite the genius at novistry. You'll pick it up with a bit o' practice, after all how hard could it be?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Shafire chuckled to himself at the happenings before joining the conversation, "You sir, seem to be operating on the false premise that a man can do nothing without wealth. It is a facilitator, not a necessity. I'd be more than happy to accompany you, Huntsman. Cultists are a rather stupid lot. Unless they are comparable to gods, there is always the brand of death on their heads." What a splendid day, seems I'll not be risking running off on my lonesome today.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

15. - Top - End - #15

Xukhezur shrugged and looked about the others to receive their thoughts on the matter as he spoke. "Well, let us at least gather some intelligence from the one who posted the bounty, yes?"
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2013-11-20 at 05:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Silas gives the man a suspicious look as if thinking "intelligence" were overrated, but shrugs in the end.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Sticking his hands in his pockets, Shafire slouched a bit, "If you carry me, which won't be hard, I'd be happy to see where we'll be pointing our weapons." He expected a no, but it never hurt to ask.

Spoiler: Andion
    Show
    You have plenty of carrying capacity to carry me and stay in a light load.
    Last edited by supernerd; 2013-11-20 at 05:30 PM.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"Sounds fine to me. Not too much for religion, as a general rule, myself." The elf clicks neatly-trimmed nails against the pommel of her sword, "I can swing a sword too, if needs be. Particularly if it pays. If that job doesn't look good, I'd suggest the guild job. Can't hurt to be on their good side, in this town."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Silas gruffs in annoyance. "Well a huntsmen of my skill certainly wouldn't be off picking mushrooms for some old hag, but for now I'll be hunting cultists. You want in?"

20. - Top - End - #20

"Well, let us at least hear what each of these potential clients have to say about their proposals. It could be that one of these jobs could offer a reward that will help us complete another." Xukhezur suggested.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2013-11-21 at 03:10 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"Fine. Let's go." Tithe will, should the others follow, head for wherever the cultist job indicates questions should be asked. As a quick aside: Tithe is an elf, dressed as one might expect a mercenary to be dressed (studded leather, longsword) plus or minus an odd belt pouch or two. Her ash blond hair is cropped to a short, practical length, and her features - while the delicate norm for one of her race - are generally unremarkable.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andion Isurand View Post
    "Well, let us at least hear what each of these potential clients have to say about their proposals. It could be that one of these jobs could offer a reward that will help us complete another." Xukhezur suggested.
    Silas rejects the idea, claiming that it's one thing to learn of the cultists you're about to kill, another to ask details of every one of the hundred requests upon the board. Specifically he mentions that he doesn't want to spend years asking questions while someone else claims his cultist ears.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

((for those who go to meet peter smith))

you find peter smith as his name might surgest in one of the many blacksmith's workshops, he is fairly big and burly for a dwarf and has a rough way of speaking and greets you as best he can

"hullo and what can i do for you good folks today?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Silas cuts right to the point before anyone can even think of small-talking the man. "I hear ya' be wanting some cultists dead. Fill us in and we'll deal with the pests for you."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

he hurriedly waves you to follow him into the workshop where no-one can eavesdrop and in hushed tones whispers

"you can find them in the sewers near the junction where lampwrite's street and the golden way road meet, you looking for kobolds bearing the symbol of a red eye"

then in a louder voice says

"yes sir i'll make sure to have your order ready by tomorrow, now if you excuse me i must get back to work"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, the sewers" Silas mutters. "I should have known." After all everyone knows that cultists and thieves love underground passageways, and the sewers were one instance of such. "Shal we then?" He confirms, gesturing for his companions to join him.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Shafire sighed as the weird human talked about gathering information from all three of the people before going on the one they had decided on, but went off to see Peter Smith with the Huntsman anyways. When details were agreed on, he readied himself to go, "Yes let's. perhaps these sewers will provide good practice."
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

28. - Top - End - #28

Xukhezur had followed the others to see Peter Smith, and when they'd been given the information, he shrugged and nodded at the others' eagerness, "I suppose I'm ready as well, with all of you so eager to get on with it."
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2013-11-21 at 04:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rurik daydreamed of happy times spent long ago as the group discusses what to do. He holds no interest in what the job actually involves, or even the payment. The great thing about adventure is the mystery, so he keeps himself occupied internally when not on a mission. Rurik catches fragments of the argument and smiles at his thoughts, "It's nice to have opinionated comrades."

Rurik smells fishiness from Peter, but remains silent except for a sigh. A job is a job, and his optimism keeps the idea of a trap far away. Rurik chooses to see the sketchiness as just another mystery to solve.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Hi there! Sorry I'm late. Been a bit busy with things, and I was trying to come up with an actual character to the crunch. Got a good feel for Rurik now, and I'm ready to play if you'll still have me.
    Can we get an OoC thread, or do spoilers work for you?
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315562