New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Fortune's Favor II (IC)

The Story So Far:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Twenty years ago, a wandering priest of Tymora settled down on the Sword Coast with a group of followers and a few close friends. A camp turned into a trading post, a trading post became renowned enough to attract more townsfolk and became a town, a fort was constructed to watch over the inhabitants, and through it all the place stood strong despite many dangerous encounters.

Now, the Fort is abandoned, the town has grown, and travelers are more than happy to stop by (and perhaps stay in) this wayside bastion.

They call it the Golden Beacon of the Sword Coast. They call it Lady Luck’s Benevolence.

They call it Fortune’s Favor.

But, as they say, there is trouble in paradise. The first hints of the conspiracy began when a group of six set out to the meager task of gathering a few coins so as to survive the coming season. Contracted by the local mercenary group's wagemaster, The Messenger, as well as various other sources, they were to investigate reports of a haunting in the house of one of the Baroness' close friends, Chartessa Murals.

What they found, however, was much more than a simple haunting. The owner of the establishment brutally murdered her own niece in her cellar over a perceived slight, such that her spirit began to thirst for vengeance. They brought the matter to the Mayor's attention, who subsequently imprisoned Chartessa until a trial could be held or a confession exacted.

Meanwhile, some of the band investigated a matter brought up by a visiting priestess of Lathander, Bria. An unknown party had been making off with corpses in the dead of night. Soon after, they discovered that a young mageling named Davand was partially responsible. However, he was not the sole culprit. Questioning of Davand led their trail back to Chartessa, who instructed the boy in the necromantic arts.

Soon after this, a new matter caught their attention. Chartessa, it seems, had been making a map connecting her house, the house of a local dog breeder, the house of the Mayor, the Inn, and a magic shop owned by a strange gnome with connections to current events that are not entirely clear. It formed a pentacle, with the magical everflowing fountain in the center of Town being the center.

Parallel to this set of circumstances, raids by bandits have been increasing drastically, such that Fortune's Favor lies on the precipice of economic turmoil. After a raid left one of their allies attacked, the group of adventurers set off in search of these bandits. A survivor of the scuffle they encountered, Hal, informed them that two factions were in a state of civil war. One side, his own, was led by the eunuch warlock March, who he claimed was the only thing standing between an invasion of Fortune's Favor.

The other is headed by the aranea Mettik, also known simply as 'the Spider', whom the party has since learned to be an old (and justified) enemy of both the Mayor and the Baroness. His intent, however, remains unclear.

Soon after this, they discovered Davand (or someone who looked like him) kidnapped a local girl and executed her in front of the entire Town. Now, his life hangs in the balance, and he protests his innocence. But fate will not allow merely one area of focus, it seems - The Messenger has provided new members of the group with a quest to investigate the southern portion of the trade road that runs past Fortune's Favor to check for disappeared caravans.

--------

E/S/O

"Where she was killed, you mean? Just outside my door. Literally. I was so close upon stepping out, I managed to lock eyes with her assailant. Just as black as his heart, I'm sure.

As for the well, it's somewhat out of the way. It's hardly necessary, what with the fountain, though I can see its benefits during, say, a siege. It's tucked into a corner, just to the left past the gates."

Spoiler
    Show
    It's worth noting that Davand's eyes are most assuredly not black.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Fortune's Favor II (IC)

"Thank you. I'll be investigating it tomorrow, I feel sure. Wait... what did you say?" Elias snaps his fingers. "No, no! Have a look at the boy you arrested. His eyes aren't black!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+7)[27]. Anything about shapeshifters or spells of disguise that fail to conceal the eyes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

E/S/O

"That being the case, you're not the only one who should do some investigating." He remarks grimly. "I don't know how convincing to the people a certain hue may be, but it gives us something to work with."

Spoiler: Elias
    Show
    Some doppelgangers retain their natural silver color even while assuming another form. Said creatures also tend to become darker as they grow in power, so one of their greater cousins aren't out of the question.

As for spells, any flaws in the magic would have to be simple oversights as brought on by an inexperienced hand or completely intentional.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

4. - Top - End - #4

GnomePirate

"It may not be enough to sway them, but perhaps you can prevail upon the Baroness to stay the execution until it's been explained." Elias pauses, thinking. "Watch for the scale... the woman who was attacked on the road and led us to the bandits. I suspect she is a half-dragon or something similar. Her name is Molikixen. She's in the city now. Though I don't know how Chartessa would know of her, you may wish to keep an eye on her all the same."

Spoiler
    Show
    Completely wrong, of course, but under the circumstances it's a reasonable guess for Elias to make.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Orin nods as Elias speaks, "Even if she isn't who Chartessa meant, someone should keep an eye on her. Although ... given her temperament, I guess she'll be arrested soon enough anyway."
    Orin frowns then sighs and looks to Elias,"I'm at a loss as to what we should do next."

6. - Top - End - #6

GnomePirate

"Let us go to the Messenger and see if he has any information for us. Tomorrow, I'm going to prepare a few divinations and investigate the well. I will also bring some rope." He bows to the Mayor. "Thank you, and good luck."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The Mayor nods as they depart. "I'll take it under consideration. Good day."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Just outside you come face to face with two newcomers. One, a peculiar elven woman donning some leather armors, a blindfold, and holding a staff. The other... a comely male halfling in full plate with a great sword strapped to his back, and also with a walking stick. Right beside her, a wolf with mostly grey fur mottled in white and brown sits, eying you curiously.

---

Adrexah did not know what to say immediately. The talk of a murderer with black eyes, a well, and some other bits about a dragon and other names she had never heard before was a bit overwhelming.

She clears her throat and says, "Uh, excuse me... did you say Defendor Investigations? We were just over there, and the man suggested to enlist your help with something... though it seems you are quite busy as it is..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2013-12-05 at 05:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

GnomePirate

Elias starts at their appearance, more so when Adrexah mentions Defendor Investigations. "We have quite enough to deal with at the moment, but the Messenger seems to have a way of sending us exactly the job we need. What is it?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"Well it seems there's been a number of caravan disappearances along the southern trade road. And apparently someone else took the job but gave up. Or died. Well I hope it's not that; I didn't ask though..."

Adrexah trails off a bit before regaining focus, "Ah, but the, uh... The Messenger did say everyone would be paid 500 crowns each, including you three."

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomePirate

"Hm." Elias raises his eyebrows at this new information. "We were among the people investigating the bandit raids, but more pressing matters arose. Our current business should be resolved in two days, one way or another." He hems and haws, considering, for a few seconds. "If you're pursuing this, I... ought to warn you that the bandits seem to have access to powerful magic. Or so our captive claimed."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Adrexah hesitates. "That's... most concerning. I should have guessed the five hundred gold seemed a bit too easy... so you are investigating a murder? Someone was killed right in this very spot?"

She focuses downward, prodding the ground with her staff a bit, though she could have been standing on a huge, dried blood stain and not even known it.

13. - Top - End - #13

GnomePirate

Elias's voice sharpens. "How much did you overhear?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh... a bit..." she says, somewhat evading the question. "My friend and I have been here ever since a murderer with black eyes and a well was mentioned..."

She tilts her head down toward Eubert in case he would want to testify to something he specifically overheard.

Spoiler
    Show
    But damn blast it, I think fishies is still gone for a few days!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2013-12-08 at 09:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Orin stands quietly to the side, sizing up the strangers. He hoped this pair from the Messenger weren't as much trouble as the last two. Although, to be fair, only one of them was crazy - the other was quite pleasant.
    On hearing Elias' tone change, he reaches out places his hand on Elias' arm, trying to calm him.
    He bows to the pair, "Greetings, I am Orin. I don't believe we've had the pleasure...?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Orin is a little suspicious - eavesdroppers taking an interest in our murder investigation? very convenient!

Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[3]

Also - even though he was raised in a Monastery, Orin has no knowledge of any kind ... and is Agnostic to boot.

edit: what perfect timing for a natural 1 !
    Last edited by MLucas; 2013-12-09 at 03:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Adrexah smiles. "I don't believe so. We arrived in town not too long ago... my name is Adrexah." Not realizing the man had bowed, she awkwardly stands there nearly motionless yet almost expectantly.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2013-12-09 at 06:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Orin nods towards Elias as he talks to Adrexah, "As Elias mentioned, we're busy at the moment, but afterwards, I'd be happy to help with the bandits you mentioned."
    He pauses, and looks confused for a moment. "Hmm. did you say the southern road? Interesting. I wonder if we should talk to the messenger before we go chasing bandits again."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, to the south. As a matter of fact I came from that way with a merchant caravan, but they seemed to have far more guards than necessary..."

19. - Top - End - #19

GnomePirate

"The ones I spoke of were to the north, but they could easily be operating at different points around the city. I'm not surprised there were so many guards. There have been food shortages here, lately."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Adrexah pauses for a bit, in thought. "Hmm... they may or may not be related; the druid fellow managing the stables also seems to know something, but he is quite reluctant to divulge any information... but you're right, maybe this messenger can clear things up."

21. - Top - End - #21

GnomePirate

"We are on our way to see the Messenger in any case. Accompany us if you wish." He gives Adrexah a hint of an apologetic smile. For obvious reasons, this is lost on her, but his tone is friendlier than before.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Adrexah nods and begins to tag along with this trio of strangers...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Fortune's Favor - Town - Defendor Investigations

When the door opens, The Messenger's eyes follow each individual as they file in. White meets Blue, Green, Brown, Black, Cloth. From across the room, it's possible to see (and hear) a small breath escaping his lips. He sets down his writing utensil and pushes aside a sheet of paper, folding his hands in front of him.

Well, at least the new crew has his full attention.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Adrexah hears the man's breath... was it agitation? Understandable... Regardless, she stays silent and a bit behind so that the others who came here may speak.

25. - Top - End - #25

GnomePirate

Elias gets right to the point. "Greetings. I hope we're not interrupting anything. Have you ever dealt with cases involving shapechangers or doppelgangers? Even tangentially. Mistaken identities, alibis and witnesses that put a person in two places at the same time... "

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"In this line of business, such events are, shall we say, more common than one might think. I don't suppose you were thinking of anything specific?"

27. - Top - End - #27

GnomePirate

"We suspect that the boy accused of murdering Aldiiri Luellynven is not, in fact, the culprit. The killer looked like him in all respects save for the eyes. Those were black. His are not. I want to know what being or beings in Fortune's Favor might have done this."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"A particularly untrained arcanist might have made such a mistake during their castings. I can think of a few natural shapeshifters such as dragons, doppelgangers, and aranea who might retain some of their normal traits in a different form.

But I think perhaps I am not answering your real question. I have no leads to this event as of yet, but I do have a contact. His name is Kebur Hillfire. You might know him better as the town smith. He is, shall we say, unconcerned with the moral standing of his employers. He might have balked at taking part in such an operation himself, but he may well have heard certain whispers on the wind."

29. - Top - End - #29

GnomePirate

"I've heard the name. Didn't he help to expand the cellars of the Fortune's Gate tavern?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"I imagine Mr. Hillfire has done a great many things for those who can tolerate him. He is...shall we say, he is dwarven in attitude, though decidedly not in mindset."