New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Base Prestige classes (Horizon Walker)

For the record, Eldritch Knight called. He wanted to tell you to go and play a Magus instead. And I'm not doing heirophant either, it'd have to be four times as long. With that out of the way, allons-y.

Custom
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Terrain Mastery
    2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 1st Favoured Enemy
    3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Terrain Mastery
    4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Horizon Stride
    5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Terrain Mastery
    6th +6/+1 +5 +2 +2 Weapon Training
    7th +7/+2 +5 +2 +2 Terrain Mastery
    8th +8/+3 +6 +2 +2 2nd Favoured Enemy
    9th +9/+4 +6 +3 +3 Terrain Mastery
    10th +10/+5 +7 +3 +3 Horizon Wing
    11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +3 Planar Terrain Mastery, Terrain Mastery
    12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +4 Weapon Training
    13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +4 Terrain Mastery
    14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +4 3rd Favoured Enemy
    15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +5 Terrain Mastery
    16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +5 Horizon Shift
    17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +5 Terrain Mastery
    18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +6 Weapon Training
    19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +6 Terrain Mastery
    20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +6 Horizon Line, 4th Favoured Enemy
    Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
    The horizon walker’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armour proficiency
    A horizon walker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, light, and medium) and shields (including tower shields).

Terrain Mastery
    At first level, and every second level thereafter the Horizon Walker adds a new terrain environment to their repertoire from those given here. Terrain mastery gives a horizon walker a bonus on checks involving a skill useful in that terrain, or some other appropriate benefit. A horizon walker also knows how to fight dangerous creatures typically found in that terrain, gaining a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against creatures with that terrain mentioned in the Environment entry of their descriptions. The horizon walker only gains the bonus if the creature description specifically lists the terrain type.

Horizon walkers take their terrain mastery with them wherever they go. They retain their terrain mastery bonuses on skill checks, attack rolls, and damage rolls whether they’re actually in the relevant terrain or not.

Favoured Enemy
    At 2nd level, and every 6th level thereafter, the horizon walker gains a favoured enemy, as the ranger class feature of the same name.

Horizon Stride (Su)
    At fourth level, the Horizon Walker ignores the effects of difficult terrain in her favoured terrain.

Weapon Training
    At sixth level, and every sixth level thereafter, the horizon walker gains Weapon Training, as the fighter ability of the same name.

Horizon Wing (Su)
    At tenth level, the Horizon Walker can fly with a speed of 30 feet and perfect maneuverability.

Planar Terrain Mastery
    From eleventh level, when she takes a Terrain Mastery, the Horizon Walker can use Planar terrain mastery, which functions just like terrain mastery, except that the horizon walker can choose one of the planar categories at each level. The horizon walker can take a non-planar terrain type instead, if she wishes.

Horizon Shift (Sp)
    At sixteenth level, the horizon walker can cast dimension door every minute as a spell-like ability, and either greater teleport or plane shift (decided upon casting) once per day as a spell-like ability.

Horizon Line (Ex)
    At twentieth level, once per day for five minutes the horizon walker can enter a state of being where she considers all terrain to be her terrain from terrain mastery, all enemies to be her first favoured enemy and all weapons to be in her first weapon training group.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2014-03-31 at 02:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Base Prestige classes for 3.5 (Horizon Walker)

Interesting, and unfinished, but I will say now, 2+ Int will not be enough skill points for a Ranger-like class. I recommend bumping that to 6.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Interesting, and unfinished,
    Hmm? What haven't I done?

but I will say now, 2+ Int will not be enough skill points for a Ranger-like class. I recommend bumping that to 6.
    It's enough for the old Horizon Walker, it's good enough for this one.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it lacks a class skills list.

And I assumed since it says the terrain masteries were below that you were redoing those. Apparently not.

I was kind of hoping these would all be more like the one for Dragon Disciple. Very different from the original, and doing a much better job of what the original PrC was trying to do.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Hmm? What haven't I done?
    No class skills. You did not list the effects of either Terrain or Planar Terrain mastery. You grant more Terrain Masteries than are listed in the DMG. Horizon Line mentioned Favored Terrain, which isn't described anywhere here. Oh, and at 16th level you grant a weaker version of pretty much the only ability worth taking the PrC for, which you picked up at 11th level when the first Planar Terrain Mastery was granted.

It's enough for the old Horizon Walker, it's good enough for this one.
    The 3.5 version has 4+Int skill points, and a d8 HD. Why'd you downgrade 'em?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

No class skills. You did not list the effects of either Terrain or Planar Terrain mastery. You grant more Terrain Masteries than are listed in the DMG. Horizon Line mentioned Favored Terrain, which isn't described anywhere here. Oh, and at 16th level you grant a weaker version of pretty much the only ability worth taking the PrC for, which you picked up at 11th level when the first Planar Terrain Mastery was granted.

The 3.5 version has 4+Int skill points, and a d8 HD. Why'd you downgrade 'em?
    Hmm. Right, this is me not being awake when I wrote this. Bluh. Sorry, people.

Also, I changed the wording on planar terrain mastery so it does actually make sense having more terrain masteries than there are.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2014-03-14 at 02:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Also, I changed the wording on planar terrain mastery so it does actually make sense having more terrain masteries than there are.
    Wuh? The DMG lists 8 terrain types, and you grant 10 Terrain Masteries.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Wuh? The DMG lists 8 terrain types, and you grant 10 Terrain Masteries.
    Yeah, I changed the wording on Planar Terrain Mastery so it allows further Terrain Masteries to be planar. In effect, it does exactly the same as it used to.