New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

One by one, each of you makes your way down the shaft, either by rope, or by spider climb.

Soon each of you finds yourself chest-deep in water. The water is chilly, but not ice-cold. The shorter members of the party either cling to the larger members or sit on their shoulders. The cool damp air is a relief after the scorching heat up above.

The dancing lights cast rippling patterns upon the low arched ceiling of this ancient cistern. A gentle current nudges you toward the east as the blind albino fish nibble gently and curiously at your legs.

The cistern is low-ceilinged, but quite wide and even with darkvision or the assistance of the dancing lights the sides of the cistern are hidden in shadow.

Tiriel remains at the surface, holding the rope, her feet planted firmly at the shaft's edge. Occasionally her wings twitch open, providing counterbalance. She looks around, her eyes watering from the smoke, to see if anyone is left.

She turns around and spots Callos kneeling beside Elthan, rummaging through his pockets.

"What are you doing?" demands Tiriel when she sees the necromancer pouring a vial of clear liquid down Elthan's throat. The half-elf coughs and his eyes flutter open.

OOC: Continued from The Necromancer's Pact VII: The Lake of Tears II.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-03-15 at 10:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

A warm smile came to his face, through the coughing and smoke-induced tears, as he saw Elthan come around and his eyes flutter open. Good, he was still alive then.

"C'mon and get up then boy. I'm not going to carry you all the way to safety." He grunted, pulling the half elf up to his feet and leading him to the edge of the cistern. Barely even sparing a glance over at Tiriel as he searched around for the rope that'd lead down into the darkness below. "Ensuring our survival Tiriel and if you'd like to do the same then help me get him down the rope to the bottom of the well. I think we've used up all the time in this place."

Pointedly ignoring any glares that might be coming at him from the angel woman, Callos waited for the probably very sore and very much in pain sorcerer to start clambering down the rope before gesturing for Tiriel to do so as well. Taking one last moment to look around the hall before bulling out his mirror and holding it tightly between clenched teeth and grasping the rope himself and beginning to descend himself.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2007-03-16 at 12:03 AM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Lizardkin Druid

The chill of the water seeps out a lot of the lizardman's strength and he finds himself shivering in the water.

"Hurry", he yells and he looks up to see Callos and Elthan descend.

He frowns seeing that Elthan is awake.

"They healed Tonguess", he hisses those to those around him.

Stamping his feet to drive out the cold, he decides he needs to keep moving to keep warm.

"sStay together."
    He rumbles before drawing a deep breath and submerging.

If there are fish here, there might be beasts that eat the fish..

He circles the group underwater, scaring some fish away and swims in the direction he feels the water flowing.

OOC:
    Swim: 5 +7-3=9,13 +7-3=17,9+7-3=13
    He's trying to find an exit from the chamber.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

4. - Top - End - #4

Tiriel

Tiriel scowls at Callos and glares at Elthan. She'd like to shout at both of them, but she decides to save her breath and wait until she's out of the smoke saturated air. As soon as Elthan is within a few feet of the bottom, Tiriel drops the rope. She turns and grabs her pack and then jumps down the hole, her wings spreading open (as far as they can), slowing her fall.

Once down at the bottom, Tiriel answers Callos.
    "Fine, but his hands stay tied until we get some answers. Katrine, you're better at this then I, you tie him up."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

5. - Top - End - #5

Aeroz

Upon entering the water, Aeroz could feel the chill creep onto his chainmail while the armor simultaneously weighed him down. Trying to adjust his body so that he would remain more buoyant and looking up to see if Callos or Tiriel had dropped yet.

"Hurry up! Scaley has gone under for some reason and it is really, really uncomfortable. And cold. And staying here is not at the top of my list of things to do."

The padding under Aeroz's chainmail begins to cause an irritation on his shoulders.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

6. - Top - End - #6

Elthan

Callos has to rummage a second potion to rouse Elthan. As if waking from only a nap, Elthan looks curiously around upon awakening at a pace much slower than one realizing he is in a burning building. Not sure in the slightest degree where he was now, he moves silently as directed towards the opening and down the rope.

Almost at the bottom, a the sudden drop from a few feet into the cold water fully sets his mind out of its torpor. The building around him that had been burning was the town commons, or something like that. He was on the upper floors, and was knocked across his jaw...

Instinctively, as he stands himself up in the cold water, he begins to examine his chin to see if it was still in the right place. Before much of anything could be confirmed, however, a large splash from Callos hitting the water tosses him off his feet.

After recovering to his own feet a second time, he helps Callos up then turns to retrieve the dropped rope. Though still sunk mostly within the water, he hands what he can grab to Katrine. His newly misaligned jaw makes it hard to tell any expression, but his voice signals resignation.

"Whatever you decide upon."

OOC: Well, You did say you dropped the rope once Elthan reached the bottom, and Callos went after Elthan...

CLW potion (1d8+1=5)
    CLW potion (1d8+1=2)
    Last edited by King_of_GRiffins; 2007-03-16 at 12:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

7. - Top - End - #7

Khazrael

Without his light jacket or scarf, Khazrael's wiry frame is much easier to deliniate. He is now clad in only a sleveless linen shirt, dyed a faded black, and some plain black wool pants in addition to his wide belt and heavy boots. His silver bangles hang heavy around slender wrists.

While the rest of the group attempts to orient themselves, he occupies himself with washing copious amounts of blood from his hands and face, stopping occasionally to cast sidelong glances into the surrounding cavern.

Punch-drunk from heavy bloodloss, he weakly laughs as he sees Elthan stand up out of the water.

Should have taken your chances topside. The orc's gonna tear you a new one.
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-03-16 at 12:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

"RRAGH!"

Elthan doesn't get the luxury of an orderly binding. Fueled by frustration over, Lumpy finds a ready outlet in the recently revived sorcerer. With an entirely too feral roar, the half-orc is upon the mage within seconds of his landing. Snatching him by the shoulders in a manner that suggests he'd slam him into a wall if there was one available, Lumpy merely digs his mailed fingers in and holds him there,

"Someone give me a good reason why we need him conscious right now." He fixes his sight on Callos to forestall any commentry from the necromancer, "Not you. You're about five seconds from joining him."

9. - Top - End - #9

Ssathiya, Lizardman Druid

Ssathiya surfaces, hot air steaming out his nostrils. The others might hear his splashing as he deliberately smack his tail on the water.

He hears a yell and he pauses to tread water and look back. His nictating mebranes slide away. The others seemed clustered around the hole and he hears Lumpy threaten the wizards.

Noting that nothing demanded his return he continues swimming away with his head above water.
    Last edited by runehawk; 2007-03-16 at 09:56 PM.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

"We shouldn't hurt him until we know why he killed Evendur, the information could be useful. I'll tie his hands behind his back, and someone should take away the pouch of things he uses to cast spells. Then he's pretty much helpless, and we can make him explain."

Katrin uses the end of the rope to tie Evendur's hands together tightly behind his back. Then she unties her rope from Fizahn's and offers the other end to Lumpy--to hold the rope, he would have to let go of Elthan. She gives Fizahn's rope back to him.
    Last edited by blackfox; 2007-03-16 at 07:23 AM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix takes this time to scout ahead, trying to find out where the current will take everyone.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Hold on a minute! We don't have the time to talk about this and discover his reasons! Nor do we have the time for him to stumble around in the dark with his hands behind his back and even more so if we need to swim ourselves. I didn't wake him up so he could be interrogated or so he can drown, I did it so we could get his help which we need! Look, I'll personally watch him myself until we're in the clear and if he starts doing anything funny, which I'll know if he does, then I'll kill him myself without mercy or hesitation." Callos practically growled out from between even as the others moved to bind, or even worse, knock Elthan out once more. Didn't these people know whats going on here? They were seeing the threat of death and were arguing against getting more help! He had at least thought Lumpy would have been above this but apparently not now. And he definitly wasn't going to take threats from the half-orc when he had done nothing wrong either!

"Hell, I'll even stand right next to Lumpy while I'm watching him just to make sure Elthan doesn't try anything. Does that sound fair enough? If not then by all means tell me some other way we can make a valuable ally useless for when the mob of skeletons come crashing down the well shaft. Or maybe for when the flaming demon horses and their riders do which, I might add, IS A DISTINCT POSSIBILITY WHILE WE SIT HERE TRYING TO PLAY JUDGE!" The last part he yelled, to draw their attention to the perilous situation they were in. "For the time being though, leave him untied and lets get the hell out of here. When we have some time I'll pry open his mind and find out why he did it or under whos compulsion but that will have to be later, right now whither you want to admit it or not we need him awake and able. Me? I want to live." Finally looking as if he had run out of anger, he pushed past the others to were the floating head of the druid was though he made sure to keep a reasonable distance. That was the druid...right? "Please druid, tell me theres a way out of here. We need a way out."

Even though he was hoping for a good answer he wasn't going to lose any preparation time he might have either. Mystical words came from his lips easy and smoothly as he brought about the spell. Glowing blue energy encompassed his right hand even as his brain wracked through various other methods and solutions.

((OOC: Casting Chill Touch and holding the charge.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Ack, too deep, too deep! are Lissa's first coherent thoughts upon hitting the water. She does the only prudent thing- climb aboard a taller person. In this case, the closest tallfolk is Adalmar. She grins sheepishly down at him from her new perch on his shoulders. "Sorry, Adalmar, but I can't swim and it's a bit deep for the likes of me. I'll climb aboard somebody else if you'd rather." Even wringing wet, though, Lissa and all her gear weigh about as much as a well-loaded backpack.

When Elthan makes his appearance, Lissa just smiles coldly and produces a hidden dagger in a twinkling of steel. "Well well, if it isn't the traitor. Still alive... good. I've got some interesting plans." The smile turns into a full-fledged demented gnome grin. The kind usually seen on mad alchemists or insane wizards right before the "MUAHAHAHA!" and unveiling of latest deranged experiment.

Some apples just don't fall very far from the tree.

"Okay, I've got the rope and the crossbow bolt... can't do the flaming oil trick 'cause of the water, pity that... has anyone got fishing tackle? For later."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

14. - Top - End - #14

Tiriel

"Callos, I didn't think you needed reminding, but obviously you do. Elthan killed a valuable ally in cold blood. He's staying tied up for now. The water's not deep and there are too many of use who don't trust him. If the water gets deeper we'll do something else - So shut up and get going.

She noticing his prepared spell, "And don't think you're exempt from being tied up. I'm not going to waste anymore time arguing with you."
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-03-16 at 01:26 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

15. - Top - End - #15

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby is shocked. First at being submerged, then by the cold, and finally by Elthan's arrival.

He's alive? What happened? Why shouldn't he be conscious? Wait, what? He killed Evendur?

Achkby stands in dumb shock for a moment, and then blurts out, "He killed Evendur?!"

In his disattention, the floating orbs have slowly glided back to hover over him as he perches on Aeroz's back.
    Last edited by HempRope; 2007-03-16 at 02:14 PM.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

16. - Top - End - #16

Khazrael

Khazrael sighs, uncomfortable with getting too involved in the discussion of Elthan's fate, and wades out into the fringes of the light, peering into the dark to try and find some sort of path. His eye catches the little dragon zipping around and his haggard voice calls to it.

"Have you found anything? It'd be great if we could get moving before those two idiots come down the hole looking for us."
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-03-16 at 03:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

His head whipped about sharply with an incredlous expression on his face at the insinuation that he'd be tied up as well. "You've got to be joking! This spell is for our pursuers you dense woman! You think I'd risk my life fighting the lot of you for someone who may or may not be guilty?" Shaking his head in disbelief at the very idea as he turns back to the druid.

18. - Top - End - #18

Adalmar

He is not sure how he came to serve as a mount for Lissa - before he could voice his objections, her falsely candid smile made him give in.

"What I'd like to know is : did he voluntarily commit murder or was he possessed ?"

"Because if he is responsible, there is no way I will let him walk unfettered by our side !" By the end of the sentence, he is shouting, and his neck is turning red.

But he is clearly not accustomed to having such outbursts : he then blushes a deep red and turns his head away.

In a steadier voice : "Watching him won't do much good if he is mage, no ?"
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

19. - Top - End - #19

Slowly, the party wades towards the east, arguing about what to do with Elthan. Lissa looks like she is about to rip the half-elf's ears off with her bare hands. Some of her rage seems to rub off on Adalmar as well.

Khazrael pushes forward ahead of the party, washing the blood from his neck and chest. He has abandoned his cold weather gear, which the rest of you find waterlogged, heavy and cumbersome. He calls ahead to Yix, who flashes the party an eidetic image of a tunnel at the far end of the cistern. A chain is stretched across the opening at water level, and four small boats bob there, pushed against the chain by the gentle current.

(For those of you without darkvision, the ghostly gray-green image is a novelty.)

Behind you, in the darkness, there is a muffled, distorted whoomp, and a flurry of sparks tumbles down the vertical shaft before being snuffed out at the water's surface ...

20. - Top - End - #20

Khazrael

He sloshes ahead through the water, attempting to reach the chain and inspect the watercraft.

"Boats? What the hell? Are they in working shape?"

21. - Top - End - #21

The chain is thick and its links are mineral encrusted. The boats are a motley group of small flat-bottomed rowboats. Three have oars lying within them.

Achkby sends the dancing lights carooming around the chamber. The lights reveal that this cistern is at least 100 ft x 300 ft, running east west. At no point is the ceiling greater than 6 feet above the water level however. A few thick pillars are scattered about at apparently random intervals. Like the ceiling and walls, the pillars appear to have been carved from stone. Also at irregular intervals are dark openings, presumably carrying water to this room from various directions.

Adalmar suspects that this chamber was once a natural cave that was enlarged to serve as a reservoir. Apparently its existence had been forgotten long ago by the villagers living in Kront.

The boats do not appear to be tethered in any way. Perhaps they floated here from elsewhere?

22. - Top - End - #22

Lizardkin Druid
    As the party crowds into the tunnel and examines the boats, he brings up the rear and waits until they all manage to get into the boats.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

23. - Top - End - #23

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby tries to suppress his shivering on Aeroz's back, but his frigidity is quite evident.

"Boats? Thank the Gods! Are they in working order?"
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

The necromancer stood there for a long moment and stared at the boats. An uneasy feeling of dread was just starting to come over him as he did too. And he had absolutely no idea why either. There was a safe escape, right there! Not a single thing keeping them from their safe getaway and now he couldn't bring himself to even approach.

"I don't like this...I see boats but no people or tethers. Where did these boats float here from and where are their owners?" He said flatly, taking a precautionary step back away from the edge of the cistern.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix calmly glides down and lands in one of the boats, thankful for the brief rest from flying around.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa shrugs from her perch atop the obliging Adalmar's shoulders, giving Elthan another evil glare before turning her attention back to the rest of the party. "Maybe the boats escaped from their owners upstream, floated down here, and caught on the chain. Used to see little boats washed up like that all the time in Selgaunt... handy when you need a boat and don't feel like paying for one. Or when you don't have time to haggle." Like, say, when the city watch is hot on your heels. She glances nervously back the way they came, fingering her dagger. "Whatever, we should get out of here. I don't like that noise we just heard."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

27. - Top - End - #27

Khazrael

Without speaking, he climbs into a boat and slumps forward, falling into an exhausted stupor.
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-03-18 at 04:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Tiriel

Tiriel follows those who take the lead, making sure that she's behind Elthan during their walk through the passageway. Her thick clothing soon becomes waterlogged and heavy, nothing she can't handle but it's an unpleasant experience that she'd have rather avoided. She keeps her wings closed tight but they too soon become chilled and soaked and it's more than once that she considers whether they made the right choice going below instead of choosing to fight.

Upon reaching the boats Tiriel feels both uneasy and relieved. Here at last is a place where they might be able to find some rest, but Callos' words echo her unease at their apparent "luck."

"In another time and place I'd take the time to wonder where these boats came from, but we don't have the luxury of time. We all need rest, those most wounded or unable to walk should use the boats to get some rest while we figure out where to go next..."

[ooc: is there room enough for everyone in the boats, or only a few at a time?]
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

29. - Top - End - #29

Almost everyone clambers into a boat, shivering. Only the lizardman, Callos and Elthan remain in the water.

Each boat holds four human-sized party members, with room for an extra gnome or halfling here and there. The boats groan against the thick chain as they settle deeper into the water.

Lumpy, Thokk, Aeroz, and Fizahn sit in one boat. Lissa, Adalmar, Khazrael, and Achkby sit in another, with Yix perched on its prow. Trinark, Tiriel and Katrin find themselves in a third boat, the drow cleric looking almost pleased to be back underground again.

OOC: Hope I didn't forget anyone ...

30. - Top - End - #30

Elthan

Elthan relaxes a slight bit once everyone had made up their mind to leave him be for the moment. Why shouldn't they? He had no weapons, his magic did little in the way of actually injuring others, and he himself was not in the best of shapes at the moment. However, he did still avoid the harsh, and often almost malevolent gazes some of the party gave him.

I swear upon all of the gods, if I did not know that gnome, I would be convinced that she was under some form of possession.

Upon observing that there are only three usable boats, he steps towards the one in which Tiriel, Trinark and Katrin sit. "This one should be able to seat one more, shouldn't it? Callos, please take. Just let me set my coat down in it first."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar