New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

frown Oceanfire [Setting]

So, yeah. Making a world, godlike. The ultimate goal is to get a decent webcomic out of it, but a world that can be played well is a world that can be written well, and I intend to play the *crap* out of this setting. And get feedback.

Without further ado, then.

The Schism in the Sky

A long time ago, not quite in the beginning, all things were under the dominion of the moon. The moon was a tyrant, and enslaved the race of men. For eons, the men lived beneath the earth, mining silver to build the moon a mighty palace, only venturing to the surface when the moon slept and there was darkness.

The moon warned the humans, however, that if they ever entered the mine on the hill, they would be destroyed in holy fire, and the moon would withhold the rain to kill the humans.

One night, as the moon readied its bedchamber, a miner named Amemet creepied through the forest to the hill in which the forbidden mine lay, for the hare had told him of great treasure within.

Amemet ventured into the mine on the hill, and made his way down to the deepest depths. There he found a wall made out of gold, which frightened him, for he had never seen gold before, and thought it to be fire. He ran out of the mine, but in his panic went home through the valley and not the forest. The moon saw this, and was moved to anger. He slammed shut the windows of heaven, trapping the rain, and chained Amemet to a great stone facing the mine on the hill, so that Amemet could see that which caused his destruction. As the moon readied his fiery spear, the hare was filled with shame and grief at the misery his tongue had caused mankind.

The hare spoke to the moon, and told it of a great game that the rabbits would hold in His honor: a fight between the strongest warriors in the hare clan. The Moon was intrigued, and decided to put off the holy fire until later.

While the moon was distracted, the rat freed Amemet from his chains, on the condition of having a fair share of the treasure in the mine. Amemet agreed, and the two went again to the golden wall. This time, Amemet was not afraid, knowing that what lay behind the wall could not be worse than the moon's fury. When Amemet touched the wall, it shone brilliant, and disappeared. Behind it lay a woman so beautiful than Amemet caught only a glipse before being blinded. The woman kissed Amemet on the cheek, and flew out of the mine into the heaven.

The men on the earth were startled by the light of the woman's beauty, which filled the whole world. Even the cold heart of the moon was melted, and He lost all interest in the hare's duel, and ran into the arms of this woman.

Who hit Him over the head with a stone of gold taken from the mine.

The Moon fell from the sky, and the woman became the new ruler. But the hare who had risked the moon's ire had been killed in the fight. When the woman learned from the men how she had been freed, she took the hare's soul, and Amemet, and took them with her into the heavens where they live among the stars. She even took the rat, but his share of the treasure was only to occasionally streak across the sky with his children.

The men of the world rejoiced, for the woman was a much kinda ruler than the Moon had been. She made the earth warm and bright, threw open the windows of heaven, and drove away the more vicious monsters that roamed the world. In further gratitude for her emancipators, she named herself Ameter, from the Ame in Amemet and the ter in Tetheter, which is the word for Hare in the language of Kaikoura.

But after some time had passed, the Moon returned, and Ameter fled from the sky. The moon fumed, and raised new monsters of the shadows, but soon calmed and pined again for Ameter's beauty. Ameter slowly rose again into the heavens, and again the Moon tried to seduce her, and once more Amemet struck him down, for she would not lie with him whenever he wanted.

Such as it is every morning, the moon attempts to seduce Ameter, the sun, and fails. Sometimes, when the Moon is starting to get wise to Ameter's game, she takes him, and we call it an eclipse. But the moon is a slow learner, and that happens but once or twice a year, like most married couples. To keep the moon from discovering her rule, Ameter left half the world, Breena, shaped to the moon's will, but kept the other half, Kaikoura, for herself. She also made the clouds to cover the windows of heaven, so that that moon would never know they were opened.

In the world below, alternating between light and darkness, the humans were able to build a life for themselves, and they forever held sacred the hare that had given its life to save them, and slightly less sacred the rat that had done it for money.

That's enough for now, it's late. Tune in tomorrow for the nations and races. And maybe the rest of the gods. There are more than two nations, j'know. More than two gods, too.

The name Oceanfire is just because the major religion (and with it, the politics), is dividing the world into a moon (Ocean) region denoted by water, and a Sun (Fire) region full of deserts. I'm bad with names.

I'm thinking of naming it Oceanfire in the Sky, but then I keep getting the urge to add "With diamonds". The comic was going to be called She Blinded Me With Magic, though it's becoming more ensemble-y.

I will also more thoroughly edit the above, as it's 2 am and I'm sure there are typos.
    Last edited by Clamps; 2007-06-08 at 06:11 PM.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

2. - Top - End - #2

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Oceanfire [Setting]

By "tomorrow", I of course mean "the next day"

Races

Humans
    Humans are the dominant race in the world. While humans worldwide are connected by the story of Amemet, they differ wildly in their interpretations, ranging from slavish devotion to Ameter, Thetheter, and the Rat in Kaikoura, to a complete disbelief in anything supernatural in Triexcomy. Every major nation of humans believes itself to be the originators of the species.

Moonchildren:
    Every morning, the moon is struck down by Ameter after striking out with her. Sometimes he gets pissed and bangs a human chick. The descendants are moonchildren, and they generally have a rough time at life if this is known. Moonchildren are put to death in Kaikoura, and must there hide thier lunar heritage. This is easy enough, though, as they look human. Most moonchildren live among humans in Breena, though a decent number have villages for themselves in Sarigas, where they live openly.

Mechanically, moonchildren are like Aasimar, but cast Darkness instead of daylight, and are barred from being chaotic. They can be either good or evil, however, though most lean in a rather "evil" direction. A moonchild and human parent produce a moonchild...child, until about ten generations after the original mating.

Bandersnatchii (Singular Bandersnatch) (NPC Only)
    The feared Bandersnatch is one of the most majestic creatures in the world. They are over fifty feet tall, with thick brown legs that look like tree trunks, and a thin silver spindly body covered in leaves. Naturally, they live in forests and often camoflauge themselves as trees. Under no circumstances are you to urinate on a bandersnatch.

By day, Bandesnatchii are fairly pleasant creatures. They love silver, and will trade the magical items they craft in exchange for it, even at what would normally be considered a net loss. By night, however, the Bandersnatch becomes frumious, which is like a barbarian's Rage, only with the added benefit of being immortal. A frumious bandersnatch reduced to -10 hp will fall asleep until the next night, but can only be destroyed with a vorpal sword. A sleeping Bandersnatch can, however, be killed normally in the daytime. Bandersnatchii only sleep when beaten out of Frumious, and no force on earth will wake them until the moon rises again, fully charged and frumious.

A frumious bandersnatch can be shunned, which is similar to a cleric's turn undead, but can be done by any character.

I feel that's a bit short, but I don't want generic fantasy races. At all. No elves, no dwarves, not even a gnome. Suggestions?
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

A frumious bandersnatch can be shunned, which is similar to a cleric's turn undead, but can be done by any character.
    This made me laugh.

Planning on introducing Jubjub Birds? Or Jabberwocks, terrible creatures with +1 claws of catching and +1 jaws of biting?

In all seriousness, though, I really like the setting so far.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, you really MUST give a full entry for the Bandersnatch...
    Lewis Carol FTW!
    ...how do they react if told by legal authorities that they must be locked up at night?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSaturnine View Post
    This made me laugh.

Planning on introducing Jubjub Birds? Or Jabberwocks, terrible creatures with +1 claws of catching and +1 jaws of biting?

In all seriousness, though, I really like the setting so far.
    interesting setting, Also, I think the plural of Bandersnatch can just be bandersnatch.

"Look at all those bandersnatch out there" sounds better then either alternative I feel.

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Ok, you really MUST give a full entry for the Bandersnatch...
    Lewis Carol FTW!
    ...how do they react if told by legal authorities that they must be locked up at night?
    They don't live in cities, so there is no legal reason for them to accept. Besides, nice as they are during the day, they were made by the moon to punish mankind. It goes against their nature

In daylight, a Bandersnatch is Lawful Good, but it won't accept anyone messing with it's frumination.

At night, it's chaotic evil, and can bust out of any jail, anyway.

I figure any city big enough to jail a frumious bandersnatch is big enough to top its walls with professional shunners.

I'm trying to figure out how shunning is done. Probably just by shouting "Shun!", because I like the image of a killer tree-monster chasing a band of heroes down a hill, as the heroes frantically scream "Shun! Shun!"
    Last edited by Clamps; 2007-05-28 at 01:34 AM.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds mostly reasonable to me...

What about Bandersnatchii (I prefer that plural) staking out goblin/orc villages, or green dragon lairs as night falls?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how shunning is done. Probably just by shouting "Shun!", because I like the image of a killer tree-monster chasing a band of heroes down a hill, as the heroes frantically scream "Shun! Shun!"
    What, you mean like this?

"Shun the unbeliever! SHUN!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DamnedIrishman View Post
    What, you mean like this?

"Shun the unbeliever! SHUN!"
    Yeah, but you got to shout it.

Locations!

There are two major continents in the Oceanfire universe. Polphy is a giantic chunk o' land surrounded by small islands, one of which is huge enough to be a continent in and of itself, which is called Sagaris. A very rough outline of the world can be found here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...fPolitical.png

Where blue is water and pink lines are mountain ranges. A better map is in the works. (Despite the name of the file, there is no connection to Erfworld. I just needed a filename). I'll probably draw a better map at some point. When I learn to draw.

On the main continent

Breena is the southwest chunk of land, up to the northern mountain ranges and as far east as the lowest lake on the map. It's firmly moonland, with lots of rivers and lakes and silver mines. Breena is the most powerful nation in the world, by a gigantic margin, thanks to the lakes that allow it to build massive cities all over the place.

Breena has Celtic-type architecture. The common people wear clothing of mostly brown, and the nobility dress like American colonials. There's a small merchant class, and they generally wear very bright and important-looking colors.

Breena tends to be religiously moderate. While the killing of a hare is still considered a high crime worthy of execution, the connection has been made between "rats" and "plagues", and thus rats are routinely killed. Despite living in the watery lunar part of the land, Breenans mostly just worship Ameter. The capital of Breena is Chaeli, which is almost entirely composed of nobility and middle class. Other notable cities in Breena include Maili, next to the lake of shadows, which is a colony for Moonchildren to live away from normal people, Ardara, a poor city where the entrance is fabulously decorated with the corpses of hanged murderers, theives, hare-killers, and people who pissed off the governor.

The village of Siofra borders the Siofran forest (one was named for the other, but no one remembers which. Fights have been started on this matter), where the largest herd of Bandersnatchii live. Since the Bandersnatch love to trade magical items for relatiely cheap pieces of silver, Siofra attracts many adventurers. Since it takes nearly a hundred shunners to warn off frumious Bandersnatchii, and the only place that many shunners can be found is within the village, many adventurers don't come back.

The Breenan army is the largest in the world.

As a general rule, Breenan place names are Celtic personal names, usually female ones. The people of Breena have late-1800s British names.

Kaikoura is the east, below the northern mountains. That big chunk of nothing is the Bifurbin Desert, and it cuts Kaikoura in half. Kaikoura isn't really a nation proper, but it has a shared culture, and considers itself the "sun" half of the world. Kaikoura doesn't have cities, but the dots on it's side of the map indicate villages of more than 200 people.

Kaikoura is really, really, really religious, especially in the north. They consider the Breenans heathens for killing rats (which is part of the reason they have no major cities). The two nations are technically at war, but Kaikoura can't compare to Breenan's army, and Breena can't maintain forces in the desert wasteland, so it's pretty much moot, and Kaikourans and Breenans occasionally work together without much trouble.

Kaikourans believe in destiny. Every year, the newborns of a village are taken to a village oracle to have their futures told. Children who'll grow up to be bad people are left to die in the desert. Breenans consider this absurd, especially given the rather poor track record of oracles. Kaikoura has been prophesied to destroy Breena every few years by the Oracle's Union.

The officially "capital" of Kaikoura is Setsenna, by virtue of being the only village with stone buildings. The people of Kaikoura generally wear light brown clothing and leather armor, unless traveling into Breena.

Despite being in Sun country, Kaikourans hardcore fear the moon, since any place with enough water to live in usually has a forest nearby. A forest with bandersnatchii in it. Kaikoura has no silver. Just gold, which the Bandersnatchii LOATHE.

Kaikouran names, for both places and people, always start with a constinant that recurs in the word. Setsenna. Pappala. Bifurbin.

Triexcomy is to the north. The people there are...odd. While they have a passing knowledge of the stories and religions of the world, they don't believe a word of it. They consider rabbits a delicacy, which would infuriate the major southern nations if either of them knew about it. Luckily, Triexcomy is blocked off by those mountain ranges.

Though there isn't much believe in the divine, Arcane magic is valued and prized, and anyone of note can use at least some. Triexcomians place a high value on knowledge, especially if it's useless. They consider useless infomation a joy, because there's a use to be found. Triexcomian curiousity has led it to become more technologically advanced than Breena, up to the level of roughly 1865. Triexcomians even have invented simple airplanes, but they only have a range of maybe a few hundred feet, and are considered useless children's toys.

Probably the most important invention in Triexcomian history was the camera, which created an interest in tourism. Thus, recently Breena has seen a small influx of Triexcomian tourists. These tourists, wearing the traditional pink T-shirt and purple genie pants that is all the rage for Triexcomain men these days, are considered...odd. This stereotype is advanced by two interesting features about the Triexcomians.

1.) They can not comprehend divine magic, which they see has the same as Arcane, but with silly rituals included by the peasants. Thus, they have an infuriating habit of trying to "help" clerics "free" themselves of their gods.

2.) Besides being highly curious, they are entirely without fear or a sense of self-preservation. This, as you might imagine, is a disasterous combination. A Triexcomian, would confronted with a frumious bandersnatch, will attempt to take a picture of himself next to it. When rescued by his party of guides (A triexcomian almost always has some adventurers with him), he will express befuddlement and mild disappointment that he didn't get his picture.

Triexcomy is mostly beautiful plains, and is completely free of monsters. The Namanamamu Mountains, which devides Triexcomy from the rest of the world, only has monsters on it's southern half.

Triexcomian names tend to be long and rhyming, and oft difficult to pronunce. They usually have shortened names for the sake of Southerners, though.

While a Triexcomian is technically human, they get a racial modifier of +2 Intelligence and -2 Wisdom. They also get a Paladins immunity to fear, and are barred from any class that uses divine magic.

Sagaris is a bunch of celts and some people from Scotland. It's theoretically part of Breena, but it basically a bunch of open plains for two groups of people.

1.) Whatever band of people needs to get away from civilization really fast
    2.) Whatever band of adventurers is hired to kill 1.)
    Last edited by Clamps; 2007-06-05 at 06:46 PM.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds pretty colorful... this is certainly setting a light-hearted tone for the setting...
    Do the tourists often have sentient homocidal self-mobile trunks to carry their stuff in?
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

Gods and Planes

All gods operate in Breena, Kaikoura, and Sagaris. There is no divine influence in Triexcomy.

The moon is the king of all the gods, in theory. In reality, most swear alliegiance to Ameter

The Moon is the single most powerful bieng in creation, but he's also a little dense. He created the Bandersnatchii, and believes himself to rule the world with an iron fist. While generally blind to the actual situation on earth, he'll still grant power to those that swear fealty to him.

The moon, again, believes it rules the earth, and telling him otherwise is a good way to get some Bandersnatchii dropped on you. Thus, most clerical prayers to the moon are, to put it bluntly, lies. Clerics must therefore have a charisma bonus to worship the moon.

The moons domains are Death, Law, Water, Plant and Strength. His temples are often located in forests, and surrounded by Bandersnatchii. Moon clerics get a +2 bonus to Shun Bandersnatchii checks, but it's not a guarantee. Moon clerics wear silver colored clothing and silver jewelry.

The Moon is Lawful Evil. His favored weapon is the katana. His prize herald is the Jubjub bird.

The Jubjub Bird is the prize herald of the moon, and a god in and of itself. It is a giagantic cocktrice, and and rare occasions will come down to the earth to kill a few hundred humans. The Jubjub bird is aware of the sun's deception, but is incapable of conveying it to the moon. Thus, clerics of the Jubjub Bird must be actively involved in the death of Ameter-worshipping humans.

The Jubjub bird is Chaotic Evil. It's temples are located on the southern side on the Namanamamu Mountains, which seperate Triexcomy from the rest of the world. It's clerics wear red and purple robes, though rarely in public, as the clerics of the Jubjub Bird are rather strongly persecuted against in the civilized world.

The Jubjub Bird's domains are War, Death, Air, Evil, and Destruction. It's favored weapon is the bow.

Ameter, The Sun is the second most powerful god(dess), and she rules the earth through trickery. She is wise and benevolent, but anyone who directly looks at her is instantly blinded. Her prize herald is Amemet, the saviour of the sun.

The Sun's domains are Sun (obviously), Trickery, Fire, Protection, and Chaos. Her temples are located in every major cities, but the biggest and grandest are in the Bifurbin Desert.

The Sun is Chaotic Good, and her favored weapon is any vorpal sword.

Clerics of the sun wear gold colored clothing with gold jewelry.

Amemet is the hearld of the Sun, as well of the God of Humanity. He is old, blind, and calloused from mining for silver for the moon. He is wise, and rarely speaks.

Amemet's domains are Earth, Travel, Good, and Luck. He is lawful good, and his favored weapon

Clerics to Amemet wear simple brown clothes. His temples are mostly huts in Kaikouran villages.

Tetheter is the god of hares. Since tetheter means hare in Kaikouran, he is sometimes referred to as Great Tetheter. He appears as a simple unassuming bunny rabbit, and often roams the earth. Part of the reason the ban on eating hare meat is so well enforced in both Breena and Kaikoura is that any random hare you try and cook may in fact be a god, and then your day just sucks. He does not speak, but his moods are known to whomever he wishes them to be known.

Clerics of Tetheter generally wear white robes in winter and brown robes in summer. Any armor they have is under these robes. Temples of Tetheter are generally found in plains and meadows, and for this reason is he the only god to be well-represented in Sagaris.

Tetheter is Neutral Good. His domains are Animal, Healing, Knowledge, and Magic. His favored weapon is the warhammer.

Planes

The Material Plane is pretty much where adventurers will be spending most of their time. Moving to another plane without the direct intervention of a god is a massive undertaking, and an adventure all in itself. (This means all "Planar Shift" type spells are barred from the Oceanfire setting. This includes raising the dead.). Short of dying, the only way to move into a new plane is to find the rifts in the Material world that lend one passage. All the rifts are at the far corners of the earth, and extrordinarily difficult to find. A rift is a shiny orb, about three feet across, the hovers above the ground and reveals what's behind it. Going into a rift just means walking into it. Coming back out looks like a teleportation spell.

Aisnien is the Celestial Plane of the Moon, and is where people the sun doesn't like (bad people, generally) go when they die. The whole plane is an endless frozen sheet of ice. Small villages of ghosts dot the landscape, but are often attacked by the alway-frumious Bandersnatchii that inhabit the realm. Any ghost killed in Aisnien reforms there 1d4 days later. At the center of Aisnien is a giant diamond palace. At the center of that are two things of interest: the rift to return to the material plane, and the Jubjub bird guarding the rift to the material plane. Since the palace is surrounded by a bottomless pit 100 miles across, and since no magic can be used in the plane, no one has ever escaped Aisnien.

The only way to get to Aisnien without first dying, is to sail north from Triexcomy for 100 days, until you reach the north pole. Rift's right in the middle. It'll take you to a random spot at least 100 miles from the rift OUT, though. The outward rift will take you to Siofra (Breena), but no one knows that.

The Burrow is the plane of hares. It is an endless burrow full of rabbits, and there's absolutely nothing of interest there for humans, as Tetheter lives on the earth. The rift into The Burrow is on the altar of the St. Tetheter's Cathedral in Naomh (a city in Breena, famous pretty much for that, and with ten times the normal number of clerics). It is heavily guarded by the local clerics, and no entry is ever allowed. The rift out is easy to find. Just dig, and you'll end up in the Cathedral basement.

Marn Kata is the domain of the rat. While the Rat didn't get godhood status, it got its own plane. The plane is a field full of garbage and slutty young female rats. Unlike the Burrow, this plane is off some interest to humans, as Rat himself lives there. Rat will trade favors with any humans who make him a deal, but will unleash untold hell on anyone who crosses him, using his command of all rats on all planes to torment you eternally. Otherwise, he's likeable. While not a god proper, Rat is immortal, and is capable of casting any divine or arcane magic...for a price. Rumor has it that he can even bring the dead out of Aisnien.

The rift into the Marn Kata is located in the dirtiest place on earth. Since every time the rift is found, Ameter's clerics clean the place up to make it presentable, if keeps jumping around. It's currently rumored to be in the bottom of the labyrinth that is the Chaeli sewers. The rift out is Rat himself, who will send you wherever you wish...for a price.

Corona is the domain of the sun. The sky is filled entirely with the blinding light of Ameter herself, and the land is an eternal paradise where the favored of the sun (good people) live. The rift in appears in the Bifurbin desert during a solar eclipse, and is open for exactly ten minutes. The rift out is in the courtyard of the Shining Garden, but no one ever uses it.

I guess this means certain spells are barred in this setting. Which would include Raise Dead, Resurrect, Plane Shift, etc. I want death and moving to another plane of existence to be a BIG DEAL.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Does this also mean that there are no undead on the world?

Also I know of many people who wouldn't say no to a day or more of bunny cuddling... and I imagine the rabbits of The Burrow are pretty fearless having nothing to fear... and the rift is even stable. Can you say "indoctrination feild-trip for the children of nobility?"... I knew you could...

Heh, I can also imagine someone intentionally trying to MAKE a place more filthy and chaotic than any place on earth so they can attract the portal to Marn Kata and try to make a deal with Rat...
    Are wererats divergent from the normal D&D type and children of Rat? Or are they traitors to rat in the service of the moon? Both? Neither? Do they even exist?
    What about other therianthropes especially the infected ones?
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Does this also mean that there are no undead on the world?
    Hm...yeah. Some spirits don't go automatically to Corona or Aisnien. They become ghosts, or can be forced into bodies of dead people. Thus, a Death Knight has the BODY of the person raised, but may possibly have someone else's soul in it.

Also I know of many people who wouldn't say no to a day or more of bunny cuddling... and I imagine the rabbits of The Burrow are pretty fearless having nothing to fear... and the rift is even stable. Can you say "indoctrination feild-trip for the children of nobility?"... I knew you could...
    I think the rift in should should probably close at night and reopen again in the morning. I suppose nobles can probably bribe their way into The Burrow, but it's "officially" forbidden.

Heh, I can also imagine someone intentionally trying to MAKE a place more filthy and chaotic than any place on earth so they can attract the portal to Marn Kata and try to make a deal with Rat...
    Alignment doesn't matter, only filth. But yes. That definitely happens. It's also a good deterrent to children. "If you don't clean your room, you'll open the portal to Marn Kata and the rats will eat your face!"

Are wererats divergent from the normal D&D type and children of Rat? Or are they traitors to rat in the service of the moon? Both? Neither? Do they even exist?
    What about other therianthropes especially the infected ones?
    Humans cursed by the moon. The moon doesn't know of Rat's existence, or of his importance.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

Breena is starting to take shape as the kind of normal campaign setting, with Kaikoura being much more low-tech and small scale, and Triexcomy being more out there. The Sunslayers don't really tonally fit into this world, but I kind of like that. It's this happy, wacky world, except for these jerks bringing tragedy into it. Or something.

Orginizations (Part 1)

The Brainfinders (Triexcomy)
    This originization finds the man (or woman) in Triexcomy who has come up with the most useful invention, and appoints him King. It is entirely honest and uncorruptible.

House of Nobles (Breena)
    The house of nobles is one of the three branches of government in Breena, composed of representatives from noble families and of the churches. There are 300 members of the House of Nobles, 225 of them representing the actual nobles, and 25 each from the churches of Ameter, Amemet, and Tetheter. It is located in Chaeli, those the church representitives conduct their business in Naomh.

The House of Nobles has the power to delay for one year any edict passed by the king. They can directly veto any taxes the king attempts to institute. The House can also pass laws, which is its main function, but these laws can be overrideen by the king.

The Naomh Triumverate (Breena)
    The Naomh Triumverate is one of the three branches of government in Breena. Unlike the other two, it is located in Naomh, site of the rift to The Burrow. It is composed of the heads of the three major churches, those of Ameter, Tetheter, and Amemet.

The Naomh Triumverate has the power to appoint the King, and veto any law passed by the king. Unofficially, they dictate all policy with Kaikoura, as religion is the bridge between the two major nations. They also have some soft power control of the Breenan people, though Breena is in no way a theocracy.

The Oracles' Union (Kaikoura)
    Most Kaikouran villages have an Oracle that tells the future. While these Oracles are indeed talented diviners, and able to cast Divination spells for the proper price, their ability to tell the future is somewhat....overstated. Thus, the Oracles only give fortunes that take place more than five years in the future, and maintain the Oracles Union to keep track of it all. When an Oracle makes a prediction, he sends a message to the union, who gives the answer, writing it down in a file. That way, different Oracles won't give differing prediction.

The official purpose of the Oracles' Union is to train new Oracles, though they do that as well.

Sacred Heart (Breena)
    The world's largest healing agency, Sacred Heart is the primary health care provided in Breena. They differenciate themselves from other temples and hospitals by providing pre-emptive healing, hiring off adventurers to fill out parties going on whatever kind of quest they can afford.

Since it is, primarily, a healing agency, Sacred Heart consists entirely of classes with decent healing abilities (Clerics, but also Rangers, Bards, and Paladins with Lay on Hands)

The Sunslayers (Breena, some Kaikoura)
    The military arm of the Moon Church, this feared group is composed of the most devoted and powerful worshippers of the Moon and the Jubjub bird. The are committed to the eradication of all civilization, and primarily use terrorist tactics. The Sunslayers announced their existance by scribing a symbol of death in the janitors closet of a school. Had the janitor not come in before classes, dozens of children would have died along with him.

While the Sunslayers have used many methods since then to cause chaos and death, the Symbol of Death remains to a great extent their trademark. They prefer to assassinate popular leaders, but anyone, anytime, could fall victim to the Symbol.

The Sunslayers are composed of Evil Clerics, Rouge/Assassins, and Blackguards. All members are at least fifth level, and specialize in assassination. The vast majority of Sunslayers are Moonchildren.

The leader of the Sunslayers is Alcmene, a Lawful Evil Female Ceric 15/Blackguard 10 of the Death Domain.

The Triexcomian Travel Agency (Triexcomy)
    The people of Triexcomy are a curious people, filled with a sense of adventure and a lust for questing. TTA exists to fill that gaping hole. Using the finest in teleportation technology (Wizards), TTA will send Triexcomians to a random point in the Southern Lands. Officially, this is to get you quickly into adventure. Unofficially, it's because crossing the Namanamamu Mountains on foot would require going onto the Southern half, where monsters exist. Since there are temples to the Jubjub Bird on the southern side, a footwalk out of Triexcomy would probably encounter Sunslayers before they encountered bargain handmade relics.

TTA doesn't get a lot of repeat service, as it's next to impossible to enter Triexcomy without a wizard to teleport you back across the mountains, and few if any Triexcomians think of this.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey clamps, are you from NZ? Or did you just think up the name Kaikoura?

16. - Top - End - #16

RedWizardGuy

Just thought it up. *Google!*. That it is a small town on the east coast of New Zealand was something I did not know. The Kaikoura I had it mind was more like the non-Sparta areas in the movie 300. But with villages.

Also, adventure hooks!

1.) A Triexcomian tourist wants to visit the famed Dungeon of Doom, out in the Forest of Death by the Lake of Eternal Sadness. (Breena. Maili, specifically. This is the plot of sorts for the planned comic)

2.) A group of Sunslayers has been attacking travelers between Ardara and Naomh. Find them and take them out. (Breena. For high-level characters)

3.) A con-man has been visiting the smaller Kaikouran villages and pretending to be an Oracle, there to replace the Oracle that mysteriously died the day before. None of the villagers ever suspect murder, because they believe an Oracle would have seen it coming. The Oracle's Union has hired you to take care of the problem.(Kaikoura.)

4.) An uppity Paladin leader has been rallying support for increased military power against the Sunslayers. Your mission for acceptance into the order is to assassinate them. He's powerful, and keeps himself surrounded, so stealth will be of the utmost importance. Getting caughts means death, from either the Paladins or the Sunslayers. (Breena. Evil characters only, levels 4-6. The Paladin is level 8)

5.) Legend tells of a library lost in Sagaris, belonging to a powerful arcane wizard. The Triexcomian King has hired you to sail off and retrieve the library. Multiple trips may be required. Unfortunately, the arcane wizard has turnedd himself into a lich, and he guards his books well. (Triexcomy/Sagaris. Playing as Triexcomians may lead to hilarity)

6.) A commoner obsessed with Rabbits has paid you to get him into The Burrow. Sneak into the Temple of Tetheter with him, and get him secretly into the rift. (Breena, Naomh)

7.) A nobleman's son has been killed by Sunslayers. Avenge his death. (Breena)

8.) A local inn is trying to turn itself into the de facto meeting place for hiring adventurers. The local taverns have pooled towards getting him assassinated. Either kill him, or help him succeed in his goal. (Breena)

9.) A local inventor needs a new Flux Capacitator in order to get his new invention working. He needs magical green ore that happens to be on another man's land. Obtain it in any way possible. (Triexcomy)

10.) A group of sun-worshippers are trying to introduce more chaos into the world by summoning permanent major images of random things in a small town. Find out what's real, dispel what's not, and get rid of the interlopers (Breena or Kaikoura)
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

New Organization:

The Legion of the Blind (Breena, Kaikoura): A sect of Sun-worshipping clerics. While most Clerics of Ameter tend to be fairly relaxed as long as people are good, The legion's clerics hold themselves to a high standard, believing humans naturally weak, and that all happiness comes from the whim of Ameter. Legion clerics wear veils, and don't have personal names, which they feel is disrespectful towards the gods, who are the only people to deserve them. Legion clerics are thus somewhat at odds with most of civilization, but neither side really forces their believes, so peace reigns.

All Legion clerics call themselves "Anonymous."

Better map (Wallpaper sized for readability.):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...liticalpng.png

Note the new Islands, including the real big one

A person:

King Byrne V: The current ruler of Breena, sharing some of his power with the House of Nobles and the Naomh Triumverate.

He ascended to the throne at the young age of eighteen, and has ruled for the last twenty-five years. Over that time, he's vastly increased the size of Breena's armed forced to deal with the Sunslayers and pirate bands in Calico Island.

King Byrne V is Lawful Neutral.

And some stuff about the cities in Breena.

Aibreann: Famous for it's hanging gardens, it's main importance is the farmland surrounding it.
    Aindrea: A rather festive city. Every month, at the new moon, the city shuts down for an entire day, and all the streets are closed for the dancers and the parade.
    Ardara: A military barracks town defending the open border between Kaikoura and Breena. It is dank, and depressing, and famous for it's habit of hanging criminals outside the city gates as a deterrent to ill-meaing visitors.
    Avalon: An island famous for its apple orchards.
    Caelian: A fairly small city. It was only recently founded, but happened to be built upon a rich deposit of silver and gold discovered two months after the final stone was laid. Most of the city is rich, but no one is a noble. The not-being-noble thing is a source of quite a bit of angst within the city, and any way of getting a title of nobility will be fiercely sought after.
    Calico Island: Practically a continent in an of itself, Calico's pretty mush all rocks, so no one lives there. It's sometimes used as a base for the Calico Island Pirates, though.
    Chaeli: The capital. Wealthy, pretty, and somewhat out of touch with Breena as a whole. There are no poor people in Chaeli. They were all evicted years ago.
    Fianna: A city founded by a group of warrior women. It's famous for it's architecture, the sea monster in the lake it borders, and it's all-female guard.
    Kaila: A moderately sized city known for it's parks and gardens. It's poorer districts are home to some of the best artists and poets in Breena, and is well decorated as a result.
    Maili: Located on the Lake of Despair, this town is kind of gloomy. It's got an unusally high percentage of moonchildren residents, who are drawn to the evil aura that surrounds the lake and woods.
    Miren: Named after a mermaid who lived in the adjacent river. Legend has it that Miren's true love was able to turn her into a human. The town is promarily a fishing community.
    Siofra: A wooden village famous for the Siofra Forest next to it, which holds the world's largest grouping of Bandersnatchii.

I'd like to start running a playtest campaign of this soon. What else am I missing that should probably be here?
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

18. - Top - End - #18

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    I'd like to start running a playtest campaign of this soon. What else am I missing that should probably be here?
    *Looks at Tears of Blood*

Ach. Quite a bit, it seems. Redid the map with a bunch of new islands, and decided to make Sagaris important. Two new races, putting one here:

Nymphs

When the moon created the Earth, he made the nymphs to watch over it for him. The nypmhs are the daughters of the moon, blessed with divine beuaty, and insight into the natural world. When Ameter was freed, Tetheter became the god of nature, and forced the nymphs from Kaikoura, the sunland. Over the centuries, humanity migrated west into what is now Breena, and forced out most of the nymphs they discovered. The nymphs, unable to withstand the neverending war, crossed the Ocean and went further west to Sagaris and the western islands.

90 years ago, King Byrne II declared war on Sagaris, and tried to destroy the nymphs for good. While Breena was able to capture some of the closer islands, the Nymphs had learned to make their natural affinity to water aid them, and built up a navy capable of repelling further attacks. The war went on to a stalemate, and was officially ended by King Byrne V fifteen years ago, as the Sunslayers began to appear.

All nymphs are female. When a nymph marries a human, the child is a Moonchild. When a nymph marries a moonchild or a moon spirit, the result is another Nymph.

Personality: The nymphs are a quiet and reclusive people, highly cautious and slow to anger. They dislike large cities, and prefer to live in close proximinty to water. Most Sagarin cities are merely ports of call for nymphs, and are home primarily to moonchildren.

Appearance: Nymphs average five feet tall, and weigh close to 100 pounds. Their skin is smooth and flawless, completely free of blemishes. They tend to be silver haired, and have green, brown, or blue eyes. They can live for up to 700 years.

Relations: Nymphs don't generally trust humans, but will make exceptions for humans who have proven their worth. When a nymph is fighting a human, they are sadistic, and prefer to win in a way that humiliates the human as much as possible.

Nymphs get along well with moonchildren, who have also been picked on by humans. Moonchildren, particularly males, can always find a home in any nypmh city.

Nymphs find Triexcomians confusing, and tend not to associate with them for too long.

Nymphs generally feel disdain towards the Airlanders.

Lands: Nymphs live in Sagaris and some of the surrounding islands. Over the last fifteen years, some nymphs can migrated to Breena, and now every lake and forest as a few nymphs living in it.

Nymphs as characters

* Medium. As medium creatures, Nymphs have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    * +2 Charisma
    * +8 Racial bonus to Swim checks.
    * A Nymph can use the run action while swimming, so long as she is swimming in a straight line.
    * +6 racial bonus to Wild Empathy, even if not a druid.
    * Nymphs take 50% more damage from cold iron, which overcomes any damage reduction they take.
    * Nymphs can not wield weapons or armor made of cold iron.
    * Favored Class: Druid

Also, the Airlanders, but I haven't written them up yet.
    Last edited by Clamps; 2007-06-07 at 03:23 PM.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

New race!

Airlanders

Most humans were content to worship Ameter from the ground, saying a quick prayer before going off and doing their daily rituals. Not so much the Airlanders. The were fascinated by the beauty of the sun, and tried to get physically close to her. They migrated to the Namanamamu Mountains, and built great shrines to Ameter, each taller than the last. They called themselves the Mountain Men.

Then one day, some three thousand years ago, an intrepid Triexcomian named Falan Danman scaled the mountains, and the Mountain Men were changed forever.

The Mountain Men had been searching for a way to get even closer to the sun. Progress was being made in a ship that could sail through the air, but there was no sufficient power source. Falan, in exchange for information about the Southlands, taught the Mountain Men the secrets of arcane magic. With wizards on their side, the Mountain Men could get their ships in the air.

They became the Airlanders.

They built huge fleets of ships, each capable of going higher and further than the last. Before long, the airlanders almost never touched the earth, and only then to resupply once every twenty or thirty years. And while the constant exposure to high magic over the centuries slowly altered their bodies, they didn't really mind. Indeed, they preferred their new forms, which they felt were a blessing from Ameter.

But the airlanders grew worried. They knew that one curious traveller was all it took to turn them into a skyfaring empire. The wrong secret slipped, and they could be challenged. They restricted the knowledge of how to run the ships to a small cadre of experts, to keep the information from falling into the wrong hands.

This was not so much a good idea. Attacking the Sun Citadel in Kaikoura to pry it from the hands of the heretics was an even worse one. For the Archmage Naburnin Bluemoon led a small force of fifty wizards up to the flagship Icarus, and destroyed the Airlander leaders with the very same arcane magics that gave them their power.

In one fell swoop, every living creature on the planet who knew how to make a skyship was dead.

Though they were winning, the airlanders immediately called off the attack, and rushed back to their citadels in the Namanamamu Mountains. For the last two hundred years, the airlanders have tried in vain to reinvent the skyship. The ones existing have had every part replaced dozens of times, except for the critical power core that no one knows how to replacate. And when those are damaged...the skyship plummets.

Fifteen years ago, the Sunslayers appeared, setting up their bases on the southern side of the Namanamamu Mountains. They have slowly been raiding and killing anyone who goes near the Citadels, for their believe the airlanders to be the worst of all the Sun Worshipers.

At it's height (so to speak), the Airlander fleets contained nearly two million men, and an unknown number of women and children.

Today, there are only about 12,000 airlanders left in the world.

Personality: The airlanders, despite their recent troubles, remain a fairly amable people. They maintain a dark humor about all topics, including their apparent demise. An airlander will, however, seriously and doggedly pursue anything that could possibly revive his people.

Appearance: Airlanders average four to five feet tall. They have bronze skin, golden eyes, and blond hair. But their most notable physical feature is a pair of grey wings on their backs. These wings are too small to really be useful for flying, but airlanders consider them a mark of pride, and spend a lot of time fussing with them. Airlanders will often compete to see who has the biggest wings, with the winner often getting some (minor) control over the loser.

Lands: Airlanders mostly live in skyships that sail around Northern Breena. They only ground-based stronghold is the Citadel in the Namanamamu Mountains.

Relations: Airlanders were once human, and get along pretty well with them, unless the human in question is from Kaikoura, in which case the offending "Kourky" is treated with bullying and disrespect. Physical violence is quite rare, though. The airlanders got everything they had from a Triexcomian, and they do not forget. It is nigh-impossible for a Triexcomian to piss off an Airlander.

Airlanders don't trust moonchildren, who they see as shifty.

They loathe Nymphs, who are everything they stand against.

Airlanders as characters

* Medium. As medium creatures, airlanders have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    * Base land speed 40 ft.
    * + 2 Dexterity.
    * +2 racial bonus to Balance and Jump checks.
    * -2 racial penalty on diplomacy and bluff checks made against other races.
    * Racial Abilities: Three times a day, airlanders can cast Feather Fall, as the spell.
    * Favored Class: Monk

I'm probably gonna rewrite the Triexcomians a bit. Make them a bit less silly. Still silly, just...less. I see them more as curious and a bit naive the Twoflowery morons. Plus, it'd be hard to play a party of Twoflowery morons.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

Somewhat retooled the Triexcomians.

Triexcomy is to the north. The people there are...odd. While they have a passing knowledge of the stories and religions of the world, they don't believe a word of it. They consider rabbits a delicacy, which would infuriate the major southern nations if either of them knew about it. Luckily, Triexcomy is blocked off by those mountain ranges.

Though there isn't much belief in the divine, Arcane magic is valued and prized, and anyone of note can use at least some. Triexcomians place a high value on knowledge, especially if it's useless. They consider useless infomation a joy, because there's a use to be found. Triexcomian curiousity has led it to become more technologically advanced than Breena, up to the level of roughly 1865. Triexcomians even have invented simple airplanes, but they only have a range of maybe a few hundred feet, and are considered useless children's toys.

Triexcomians have spread the art of arcane magic down into the Southern lands, which has earned them a lot of respect. Over the last two thousand years, Triexcomy has remained the world's largest concentration of arcane casters. Indeed, entering Triexcomy is much like entering an entirely different plane of existance, as almost nothing exists that hasn't been enchanted or abjured.

Once a year, the orginization known as the Brainfinders discovers the Triexcomian who has created the most useful invention, and declare him Grand Narbon, the sole ruler of Triexcomy for the next year.

Probably the most important invention in Triexcomian history was the camera, which created an interest in tourism. Thus, recently Breena has seen a small influx of Triexcomian tourists. These tourists, wearing the traditional pink T-shirt and purple genie pants that is all the rage for Triexcomain men these days, are considered...odd. This stereotype is advanced by an interesting feature about the Triexcomians. They can not comprehend divine magic, which they see has the same as Arcane, but with silly rituals included by the peasants. Thus, they have an infuriating habit of trying to "help" clerics "free" themselves of their gods.

Triexcomians who visit the Southern Lands often have difficulty wrapping their heads around the concept of monsters. A first-time visitor to the South will generally ignore anything attempting to kill him, until he learns to accept that they are REAL.

Triexcomy is mostly beautiful plains, and is completely free of monsters. Anything in Triexcomy that looks dangerous is an illusion. The Namanamamu Mountains, which devides Triexcomy from the rest of the world, only has monsters on it's southern half.

Triexcomian names tend to be long and rhyming, and oft difficult to pronunce. They usually have shortened names for the sake of Southerners, though.

While a Triexcomian is technically human, they get a racial modifier of +2 Intelligence and -2 Wisdom. They also get a Paladins immunity to fear, and are barred from any class that uses divine magic.

I think I'm about ready to start playtesting.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pure awesome.
    The image I get in my head is Elan singing "Shun, Shun, Shun, the fruminous bandersnatch!"
    I'm not lazy, just efficient

Town-ness

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

New Plane. A train plane. For the insane.

The Eternal Line is the train of destiny. It takes souls from birth, to childhood, to adolescence, to adulthood, to middle age, to old age, and to death, in that order. Everyone that lives has a shadow on the trains, and can replace that shadow if they enter the plane. When inside the plane, one can willingly get off at a station and remain there forever, having eternal life but being trapped on the platform. Attempting to leave a station will merely send you to another end of it. It is impossible to go back.

The rift out of the Line is the train, and can be entered at will once aboard.. The only way to leave is to get back on and let your shadow ride again, taking you on the journey to death.

The rift in is created when a soul is magically damaged. It and the body it resides in head to the Eternal Line. Damaging a soul generally requires high-end magics, but a soul with sufficient emotional damage can also create a rift. That level of emotional trauma generally requires a mental illness as well as a burst of repeated tragedy. The rift, when created, disappears after taking the person whose soul created it. The process lasts but a few milliseconds, and to observers it looks as though the body simply disintegrated.
    100 HNJO (700 GP)
    40 LIGD (280 GP)
    20 GP

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not lazy, just efficient

Town-ness