1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Manic Mage [PrC]

Manic Mage
    "I don't much care for these hors d’œuvres are terrible!"
    "That's potpourri"
    "No I said terrible!"

Becoming a Manic Mage
    Manic Mages are those who have read the great text, the source of all truths, the mother of all lies, father of salvation, and second cousin of sin, the Principia Discordia. The Manic Mage is occasionally confused for a Wild Mage. However, while Wild Mages allow magic to freely flow, the Manic Mage will contort it in odd ways, sometimes enhancing it, sometimes weakening it, but always for a reason.

Wizards are very rarely Manic Mages, as it simply requires too much departure from what they have learned about magic. Bards and sorcerers, usually lacking the formal schooling are less worried about breaking traditions. Clerics also sometimes become Manic Mages, especially if they worship deities with insanity, luck, or chaos as their domains.

Humans and halflings are the most common Manic Mage, while Elves and Gnomes are found in equal but prevalent amounts. Dwarves aren't too commonly spellcasters, and then, aren't too commonly chaotic, and even then are even less commonly Manic Mages.

The Manic Mage is the companion class to the Disciple of Chaos.

Requirements
    • Ability to cast fourth level spells
    • Any one luck feat
    • Chaotic Alignment
    • To have overcome a challenge using your spells in the most asinine way possible

Skill Points Per Level
    2+Int bonus
    Class Skills
    Bluff (Cha),Craft(Int),Hide(Dex), Move Silently(Dex), Profession(Wis), Search(Int), Sense Motive(Wis), Sleight of Hand(Dex), Tumble(Dex), Use Magic Device(Cha)
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    A Manic Mage receives no weapon or armor proficiencies

d4 hitdice
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Force of Chaos, Master Blaster|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |"Run, run! Or you'll be well done!",Spell Burning|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Manic Meta Magic|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Mega Manic Meta Magic|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Hectic Majestic|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Spells Per day
    At each level, a Manic Mage may choose to advance the spells per day of any spellcasting class to which she previously belonged. She adds her Manic Mage levels to determining spells per day (and spells known) of the chosen class, but gains no other abilities of the class.

Force of Chaos(Su): Having given in to chaos, the Manic Mage is under a permanent Undetectable Alignment effect against anything targeting the Good/Evil axis. Any attempt to discern the Manic Mage's alignment will only return "Chaotic", even if the spell or other effect was not capable of receiving that answer (such as a Paladins Detect Evil).

In addition, a Manic Mage may drain the power of their spells to manipulate chance. The Manic Mage receives a number of Chaos points equal to her class level plus charisma bonus. The Manic Mage may spend one Chaos point to lower the DC of one of her spells by two, in exchange for forcing all of its targets to roll their savings throw twice, taking the worst result. By spending an extra chaos point, she may lower the DC by a further two, and force the target to roll three times. She may only spend a number of chaos points up to her class level, however.

(Manic Mage and Disciple of Chaos levels stack for determining Chaos Points, but the charisma modifier is only applied once.)

Master Blaster(Su)
    : A Manic Mage is an effective destructive force. At first level, she may choose to spend one chaos point to gain +1 to attack and damage rolls when casting a spell. She may spend additional chaos points, up to her class level, to further increase the attack and damage rolls.

"Run, Run! Or you'll be well done!"(Su)
    : A Manic Mage can make her spells effect even those who thought they should have avoided them. At first level, by spending two chaos points, the Manic Mage can make any spell that allows a save for a partial effect instead allow no save. Characters with Evasion or Mettle are allowed a savings throw as if neither those abilities, nor this one are in place (Thus, they receive their normal save for partial effect). Characters with Improved Evasion are treated as having Evasion, (Thus, they take no damage on a successful save, but still receive full damage on a failed one).

This ability can not be used with any spell that causes death or a likewise effect on a failed save.

Spell Burning(Su): A Manic Mage may sacrifice some of their magic, rather than bending reality through finesse, they use their magical energy to shape the world with happenstance and luck. At second level, as a full round action, a Manic Mage may choose to sacrifice any number of spell slots to gain a number of chaos points equal to the total level of each spell slot sacrificed.

Manic Meta Magic(Su): A Manic Mage does not attempt to alter her spells, instead, the spells change and it just happens to be what they wanted. At third level, a Manic Mage may apply meta-magic feats to their spells without increasing the spells effective level. By spending a number of chaos points equal to the meta magic feats level adjustment, they may spontaneously apply the meta magic feat at no increase to its level.

Mega Manic Meta Magic(Su): Once per day at fourth level, a Manic Mage may apply any meta magic feat to her spells, even ones she does not possess or qualify for, to her spells. This ability functions like Manic Meta Magic, with the exception that the Manic Mage pays for the spells total effective level as if the feat were applied.

Hectic Majestic(Ex): One does not simply act chaotic. At fifth level, a Manic Mage may choose to spend five chaos points to temporarily change one of their spells, spell-like, or supernatural abilities to extraordinary for one use. In addition, the previous Manic Mage abilities are all considered extraordinary for free (though since they all involve spell casting, the manic mage will still have to spend the five points to use them in combination with a spell).

A Manic Mage may also, once per day, choose to cast a spell that they did not prepare. By sacrificing a spell of the same level and spending a number of chaos points equal to the level of the spell, the manic mage may cast a spell that they did not prepare or do not know. If the spell is not on her spell casting classes spell list, it costs an additional three points and she must sacrifice a spell one level higher than it instead. The sacrificed spell can not be "burned" to pay for the casting.

In addition, she is treated as no longer having any alignment in the Good/Evil axis, not even neutral. While this is not accompanied by a personality change, any effect that requires a specific good/evil alignment, such as a "Holy Word" spell, has no effect.

__________________________________________________ _______________
    I want to give them another ability at level three since they don't have much to spend their chaos points on as it is currently I think, especially since they can lose spells to gain more.
    Last edited by Cybren; 2007-08-25 at 12:18 AM. Reason: ҉General thingness

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Manic Mage [PrC]

As much a I enjoy your alliteration and flavor, the metamagic abilities make this class a bit overpowered. Keep in mind that a Wizard need only sacrifice five levels of familiar advancement (boo-hoo) and a bonus feat for what is the equivalent of all the metamagic feats at once. That's a lot of power, especially when it's both spontaneously applied and lacks spell level costs.

Granted, you have to use Chaos points, but those recharge fairly quickly, by these rules. At the very least, I wouldn't allow the use of metamagic feats the caster hasn't actually taken.

Again, though, I enjoyed the flavor. Sounds like mischief with spells per day.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Manic Mage [PrC]

Superb class! I like the flavor of all of their abilities. Basically allows a caster to really shake up their normal acts, and at the same time, still maintain effectiveness as a caster. I am slightly leery of the multisave ability (maybe make it a -3 per additional save?), y'know, natural ones and all. Just makes me slightly scared, since I tend never to make a decent roll more than once. Otherwise, I really like the Chaos metamagic. Makes the class extremely versatile, if only in small bursts.

I'd also have to note that two other present classes posted on the Homebrew here are interesting connections. There's one caster class that focuses on descending into total mechanical behavior as all emotions are eaten away by their discipline, which is pretty much the polar opposite of this.

And NOBODY can say that taking a Sorceror into this class and then into the Weirder afterwards would not be totally badass. I NEED to find a game to do that in. Slowly descending into sheer madness with your casting with this class, and then afterwards having the world around you warp to your insanity? Too cool for words.
    Click the spoiler tag for a link to my forums!
    Spoiler
    Show

Please visit my forums! We've got a great community and a lot of excellent free form RPing!

Thanks to DrKarling for the awesome avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well the idea is they can only use Mega Manic Meta Magic once per day. I thought about applying a restriction to the first one that you can only use it a number of times per day equal to your class level, but I don't want to get into too many levels of restriction (Costs chaos points, times per day, etc)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Run, Run! Or you'll be well done!"(Su): A Manic Mage can make her spells effect even those who thought they should have avoided them. At first level, by spending two chaos points, the Manic Mage can make any spell that allows a save for a partial effect instead allow no save. Characters with Evasion or Mettle are allowed a savings throw as if neither those abilities, nor this one are in place (Thus, they receive their normal save for partial effect). Characters with Improved Evasion are treated as having Evasion, (Thus, they take no damage on a successful save, but still receive full damage on a failed one).
    Finger Of Death. No save.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Good catch. I think I may reduce it to only reflex based spells as I don't think those have any save or dies

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Question Re: Manic Mage [PrC]

IIRC, it has some save or sucks (Forcecage, namely, if I'm not mistaken.)
    Click the spoiler tag for a link to my forums!
    Spoiler
    Show

Please visit my forums! We've got a great community and a lot of excellent free form RPing!

Thanks to DrKarling for the awesome avatar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    Well the idea is they can only use Mega Manic Meta Magic once per day. I thought about applying a restriction to the first one that you can only use it a number of times per day equal to your class level, but I don't want to get into too many levels of restriction (Costs chaos points, times per day, etc)
    Considering the vast amount of metamagic feats in existence, it's hard for me to realistically imagine an ability that grants even limited use of all of them.

I'd go ahead and put a uses/day cap on manic metamagic. Burning lower level spells to power-up high level ones seems like a dangerous ability.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I must say, this is an excellent piece of work.

Now, since you have the Manic Mage for casters and the Disciple of Chaos for roguely fellows, is there something you might include for warriors? I could totally see them with neat abilities, along the lines of The Princess Bride's "Ha! I am not left-handed!", etc. Only, I'd imagine it'd be more along the lines of "Ha! I hold my sword backwards!" or "I'm a human who can use multiweapon fighting because I hold the third weapon with my teeth!"

Go for it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by F.H. Zebedee View Post
    IIRC, it has some save or sucks (Forcecage, namely, if I'm not mistaken.)
    Nope. The only save or suck I recall for reflex is non-core, and I'm not sure how it works. Some things, like web, maaaybe. Forcecage? No save.