New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Base Class] The Dragoon

Richard Smythesson, professional adventurer, looked up. And up. It was a cliff that had to be at least twenty feet tall, and it was as sheer as Dame Murbella's veil. There was a dragon at the top of it decimating the populace, and Richard was one of the adventurers hunting it.

"There's no way to get up there," he announces, chucking his climbing gear to the ground. "I'd have to be able to fly to get up there."

"There's always jumping," came a voice behind Richard, who started with a jump. The voice belonged to a man in full plate, richly decorated with images of dragons and other great serpents. The most notable part of his ensemble was his helmet; it had a long, snout-like face mask, looking more like a mask than anything useful.

"Jumping! Then I'd better get looking for someone who can turn me into a frog!" Richard exclaims, incredulous. There's no way a man in full-plate could make it, right?

The dragon knight just shrugs, somewhat apologetically, and approaches the cliff. And then, he jumps. It was more like he took off to fly, but there's no way he was a wizard, not with that armor! But up he goes, straight up the cliff side like a rocket. And then he lands light as a feather right at the top.

Richard yells and waves his arms, but he's too late. The dragon knight's on his way to the dragon's cave.
    -

The Dragoon, or Dragon Knight, is sometimes a great friend to dragons, playing student to a dragon's teacher. Sometimes, they are bitter enemies, a Dragoon using his unique leaping capabilities to overcome a dragon's power. No matter what the truth is, a Dragoon is a capable, useful fighter, able to keep himself alive against the toughest of enemies with his abilities. Good Dragoons often follow Bahamut, god-king of Good dragons, while Evil ones turn to Tiamat, Queen-mother of Evil dragons.

Edit: Rules for hitting flying targets with Falling Charge added.
    Edit2: New Table added! Old one in a spoiler at the bottom!

The Dragoon
    Dragon Knight

Alignment: Any
    HD: D10
    Class Skills: The Dragoon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Jump (Str), Tumble (Dex), Balance (Dex), Craft (int), Knowledge(Nature, Arcana, and Nobility/Royalty) (Int), Intimidate (Cha), and Handle Animal (Cha)
    Skill Points at 1st level: (2+Int mod)x4
    Skill Points onwards: 2 + Int mod.

Table: The Dragoon
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|# of Auras Known

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Draconic Aura +1, Born Flyer|2

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Skill Focus (Jump), Giant Leap|2

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Dragoon's Grace, Dragon's Heart|2

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Falling Charge +2d6 2 rounds later, Sky's the Limit|3

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Draconic Aura +2, Light as a Feather (Light)|3

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Falling Charge +3d6|3

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Improved Skill Focus (Jump), Light as a Feather (Medium)|4

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Falling Charge +4d6, Skill Focus (Tumble)|4

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Breath Weapon Resistance 10|4

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Falling Charge +5d6, Draconic Aura +3, Light as a Feather (Heavy)|5

11th|
    +11
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Fall with Style|5

12th|
    +12
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |Falling Charge +6d6 1 round later, Greater Skill Focus (Jump)|5

13th|
    +13
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |Palidor's Grace, Breath Weapon Resistance 20|6

14th|
    +14
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |Falling Charge +7d6|6

15th|
    +15
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |Draconic Aura +4, Skill Focus (Intimidate)|6

16th|
    +16
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Falling Charge +8d6|7

17th|
    +17
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Breath Weapon Immunity, Skill Mastery (Jump, Tumble)|7

18th|
    +18
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |Falling Charge +9d6|7

19th|
    +19
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |Frightful Presence|7

20th|
    +20
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |Falling Charge +10d6 Full round action, Superior Skill Focus (Jump), Draconic Aura +5|7[/table]

Class Features
    Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons, one-handed swords, lances, and all polearms.
    Armor Proficiencies: Light, Medium, and Heavy. No Shields.

Draconic Aura (Su): The dragoon and all of his allies within a 30’ radius gain benefits from one of the following Auras. These may be activated, suppressed, or swapped as a Swift Action. Only one Aura may be active at a time. No duration, though you must be conscious. The number of Auras you have access to is based on your level.
    Energy Shield: if any subject is struck with a Natural Attack or a non-reach weapon, the attacker takes (2 * N) damage of an Elemental type
    Power: subjects melee attacks do +N damage.
    Presence: subjects gain +N on Bluff, Diplomacy, & Intimidate checks.
    Resistance: all subjects gain Resistance (5 * N) to an Elemental type.
    Senses: subjects gain +N on Listen, Spot, & Initiative checks.
    Toughness: subjects gain Damage Reduction (N) / magic.
    Vigor: subjects gain Fast Healing (N) when below ½ normal hit-points.
    ed. note: Elemental Types are Ice, Fire, Electrical, Acid, and Water

Born Flyer: At 1st level, the Dragoon gains this feat for free. If he already possesses it, then he may choose another feat from the Fighter Bonus feat list. (Feat: +4 Competence bonus on all saves/checks you make to maneuver or stay aloft in the air. Also allows you to qualify for feats that require ability to fly)

Skill Focus(Jump): At 2nd level, the dragoon gains this for free. If he already possesses it, then he may choose another feat from the Fighter Bonus feat list. At 7th level, this bonus increases to +6, and at 12th level, this increases to +9. At 20th level, this increases for a last time to +12.

Giant Leap (Ex): At 2nd level All Jump checks the dragoon makes are treated as if you were running and had Feat: Run.

Dragoon's Grace (Su): At 3rd level, the dragoon may use the spell Feather Fall at will, but only affecting himself.

Dragon's Heart (Ex): At third level, the dragoon becomes immune to any fear effects and a dragon's Frightful Presence.

Sky's the Limit (Ex): At 4th level, all vertical Jump DCs are halved. This stacks with Giant Leap.

Falling Charge (Ex): At 4th level, the dragoon learns how to work his amazing jumping ability to his advantage. As a full round action, jump at least 10 feet up or higher than the enemy's vertical reach, whichever is taller* and 10 feet forward. Roll one die for both checks. If you make this jump check, then you jump into the air, seemingly much higher than just 10 feet. While in the air, you have Total Concealment.

Two rounds later, even on someone else's round, you come crashing down on the enemy. Make a Charge special attack. You deal extra Piercing damage in addition to the attack from the charge as indicated on the chart (starts at +2d6 and increases by +1d6 every other level). Polearms and lances deal double their normal damage on this charge.

After you make this attack, you land in your opponent's square, and can move out to any open square within 5' without provoking an Attack of Opportunity from the opponent you just landed on. At 12th level, a dragoon can land 1 round later, and at 20th, he can land at the end of his round (It becomes a full round action). He can still land 1 or 2 rounds later if he so chooses. You may choose to extend your jump longer than the necessary amount. To do so, increase the Jump DC by +5 for every round past the second.

The base DC for a Falling Charge on a medium opponent is 20. (However, by 4th level, the Dragoon has at least +7 to Jump checks; Giant leap gives +4 and Skill Focus (Jump) gives +3, making the DC effectively 13.)

If you wish to target a flying opponent, you only need to jump as high as the opponent does; the attack also hits on the same turn (that is, the Falling Charge is only a Full Round action when hitting a flying opponent). This is because you hit them 'on the way up'. You make the attack roll as if you were hitting a land-bound opponent, and then you fall back to the ground with your weapon. (However, Fate may need the spear to get stuck in the opponent.)

Light as a Feather(Ex): The Dragoon may ignore Jump and Tumble penalties with the listed Armor, as well as movement penalties. Light Armor only at 5th, Medium at 7th, and Heavy at 10th.

Skill Focus (Tumble): At 8th level, the dragoon gains this for free. If he already possesses it, then he may choose another feat from the Fighter Bonus feat list.

Breath Weapon Resistance (Su): A dragoon gains Resistance of the indicated amount against any dragon's Breath Weapon. At 9th level, he has 10 points of resistance. At 13th level, it increases to 20. At 17th level, he becomes totally immune to any damage dealt by a dragon's breath attack. He can still be affected by non-damage dealing Breath Weapons.

Fall with Style (Ex): At 11th level, a dragoon can so skillfully direct his leaps that he can emulate flight. The dragoon gains the ability to glide. While gliding, he may move forward 20' for each 5' he descends. Effective 'flying' speed is 40' with Average maneuverability. Even if maneuverability improved, he can never hover. May not carry more than a Light load. So long as his armor does not cause Check penalties for Jump, it does not count towards his carrying capacity.

Palidor's Grace (Su): At 13th level, the dragoon can extend his Feather Fall ability to any allies within 30' of himself as a Swift Action.

Skill Focus (Intimidate): at 15th level, the dragoon gains this for free. If he already possesses it, then he may choose another feat from the Fighter Bonus feat list.

Skill Mastery (Jump & Tumble): at 17th level, the dragoon may always take 10 for Tumble and Jump checks, even when in stressful situations.

Frightful Presence (Ex): A dragoon can unsettle foes just like the dragon he emulates. This ability takes effect automatically whenever the dragoon glides overhead, uses a Falling Charge, or makes a full attack. Creatures within 60' are subject to the effect if they are below the dragoon's level (or if they have fewer HD). A potentially affected creature that succeeds on the Will Save (DC10+ 1/2 dragoon levels +the Dragoon's Cha modifier) remains immune to that dragoon's frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Dragons are especially weak to the Dragoon's presence, and are counted as being 5 HD lower than they actually are for the purposes of this ability.

*Medium creatures have a Vertical Reach of 8'. To go up a size, double this. To go down a size, halve it. Quadrupeds have a Reach of a creature that is one size smaller.
    --
    Old Table
    Spoiler
    Show
    Table: The Dragoon
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|# of Auras Known

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Draconic Aura +1, Born Flyer|3

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Skill Focus (Jump), Giant Leap|3

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Dragoon's Grace, Dragon's Heart|4

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Falling Charge +2d6 2 rounds later, Sky's the Limit|4

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Draconic Aura +2, Light as a Feather (Light, Medium)|5

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Falling Charge +3d6|5

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Evasion|6

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Falling Charge +4d6, Skill Focus (Tumble)|6

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Breath Weapon Resistance 10|7

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Falling Charge +5d6, Draconic Aura +3, Light as a Feather (Heavy)|7

11th|
    +11
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Fall with Style|7

12th|
    +12
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |Falling Charge +6d6 1 round later|7

13th|
    +13
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |Palidor's Grace, Breath Weapon Resistance 20|7

14th|
    +14
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |Falling Charge +7d6|7

15th|
    +15
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |Draconic Aura +4|7

16th|
    +16
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Falling Charge +8d6, Skill Focus (Intimidate)|7

17th|
    +17
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Breath Weapon Immunity|7

18th|
    +18
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |Falling Charge +9d6|7

19th|
    +19
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |Frightful Presence|7

20th|
    +20
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |Falling Charge +10d6 Full round action, Draconic Aura +5|7[/table]

--
    Main Changes!
    • Slower Aura Progression. Previous one started at 3 and increased every 2 levels. Now it's the opposite. Start at 2, increases every 3 levels.
    • Light as a Feather properly stuck in there, instead of 'Light' being hastily added.
    • Evasion stripped out. Replaced by Improved Skill Focus. I didn't like Evasion in there anyway.
    • In that vein, added in additional Jump bonuses as suggested.
    • You get Skill Focus (Intimidate) a level earlier. (15th vs 16th)
    • Now there's Skill Mastery for Jump and Tumble. Never need to worry about rolling lower than 10 again!
    • Full BAB! I'm going ahead and doing it; It just needs that little oomph.

NEWEST CHANGE
    • Changed Light as a Feather ability to allow normal movement; moving 20' gives you a -6 to Jumping, turns out.
    Last edited by Karma Guard; 2007-11-04 at 11:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [Base Class] The Dragoon

Dragon's Heart is a book by Jane Yollen :P But i doubt that;s it

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoti View Post
    Dragon's Heart is a book by Jane Yollen :P But i doubt that;s it
    Unintentional References Count: 1 :V

Think animated.

4. - Top - End - #4

Hmmm no clue, though the armor reminds me of Kaine >.>

Oh Toy Story "Falling with style" Buzz and woody XD
    Last edited by Xenoti; 2007-09-30 at 10:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmmm no clue, though the armor reminds me of Kaine >.>

Oh Toy Story "Falling with style" Buzz and woody XD
    Well, it is a Dragoon class.

And good work! You win the prize :D

6. - Top - End - #6

but werent dragoons historically mounted Units? XD :D

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

but werent dragoons historically mounted Units? XD :D
    The term "dragoon"(in the usage he is referring to) was actually created(I BELIEVE) when, due to limitations on how many letters could be displayed on the SNES, for the English version of FFIV (FFIIe), they shortened Kain's official class of "Dragon Knight" to "Dragoon."

Edit: I should clarify. I didn't mean the term was ORIGINALLY made up by Final Fantasy, that's silly, hehe. I just mean that that's how it came to describe "jumping dragon knights" in the FF universe. In other usages it means something quite different.
    Last edited by Nu; 2007-09-30 at 10:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

"...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Nu View Post
    The term "dragoon"(in the usage he is referring to) was actually created(I BELIEVE) when, due to limitations on how many letters could be displayed on the SNES, for the English version of FFIV (FFIIe), they shortened Kain's official class of "Dragon Knight" to "Dragoon."

Edit: I should clarify. I didn't mean the term was ORIGINALLY made up by Final Fantasy, that's silly, hehe. I just mean that that's how it came to describe "jumping dragon knights" in the FF universe. In other usages it means something quite different.
    Yeah i know :P I've played every one :P I was just being silly, cause honestly it's a pretty decent class :P As far as I know, i dont run into the jumping mechanic much

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Dragoons are special knights that equip spears to attack. Their stats are weighted physically, and they can equip heavy armor that is modified to look like a dragon. Their special ability is to Jump, which allows them to do an aerial attack which does more damage than a normal attack. The drawback to this attack is that it takes longer due to the Dragoon having to Jump and then fall on his or her opponent. The advantage to this, however, is that Dragoons do not take damage while airborne."

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dragoon

I'm referring to Final Fantasy Dragoons, not the historical ones. Hence all the Dragon references and the jumping.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Karma Guard View Post
    "Dragoons are special knights that equip spears to attack. Their stats are weighted physically, and they can equip heavy armor that is modified to look like a dragon. Their special ability is to Jump, which allows them to do an aerial attack which does more damage than a normal attack. The drawback to this attack is that it takes longer due to the Dragoon having to Jump and then fall on his or her opponent. The advantage to this, however, is that Dragoons do not take damage while airborne."

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dragoon

I'm referring to Final Fantasy Dragoons, not the historical ones. Hence all the Dragon references and the jumping.
    I was referring to Nu's post, which didn't make any sense to me until he clarified.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce_LeRue View Post
    I was referring to Nu's post, which didn't make any sense to me until he clarified.
    Whoops.

Well, at least everyone else has it as a reference now. X3

13. - Top - End - #13

okay, if medium creatures can only jump 8 feet hight (if i'm reading the jump entry at d20 online srd correct) Then how can he say, jump up a cliff? I know their jumping makes them act as flying, but can they really go up that high with a vertical limit for the jump of 8 feet? If so, maybe the Limit should be raised at certain points through character progression? Idk if i read the jump entry wrong or not. If i did, please ignore XD

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

okay, if medium creatures can only jump 8 feet hight (if i'm reading the jump entry at d20 online srd correct) Then how can he say, jump up a cliff? I know their jumping makes them act as flying, but can they really go up that high with a vertical limit for the jump of 8 feet? If so, maybe the Limit should be raised at certain points through character progression? Idk if i read the jump entry wrong or not. If i did, please ignore XD
    In D&D, Vertical Reach is how high you can reach. A man who is 6 feet tall can reach a ledge 8 feet high just by reaching and maybe going on tippy-toes. A Dragon, who is Huge but is a quadruped, can only reach 16' vertically.

You can jump as high as you want. :V It's just that, for a High jump, the DC is 8*feet jumped. Half that if running. Half that for the dragoon. To jump 10 feet straight up from the get-go is a DC 80 check. For someone who has a running start, it's a DC 40. For the dragoon, it's a DC 20.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now, the real question is whether or not it's at all balanced to have a fighter who can jump so well that he can almost fly. Would've been useful against Xykon, though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

If i'm not mistaken, in FF 3.5 that this guy is making all the classes are somewhat more powerful (not batman wizard 'I win, you suck' powerful or pun-pun broken) than core, so, it's balanced.

Also, good work.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

17. - Top - End - #17

Ah, ok then. I might be tempted to try playing a Dragoon in a mainly-core campaign anyway. It'd be really cool but I can't decide if it would be too powerful or not. The auras might need some toning down....

18. - Top - End - #18

In D&D, Vertical Reach is how high you can reach. A man who is 6 feet tall can reach a ledge 8 feet high just by reaching and maybe going on tippy-toes. A Dragon, who is Huge but is a quadruped, can only reach 16' vertically.

You can jump as high as you want. :V It's just that, for a High jump, the DC is 8*feet jumped. Half that if running. Half that for the dragoon. To jump 10 feet straight up from the get-go is a DC 80 check. For someone who has a running start, it's a DC 40. For the dragoon, it's a DC 20.
    Soo thats still pretty hight for something the class is ment to do

19. - Top - End - #19

Wow, a Thri-Kreen Dragoon would be pretty sweet.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I recommend adding Leap of the Heavens to the bonus feat list. It fits the idea. Basically, no penalty for not having a running start for jumping. And a bonus I believe.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    Hmm, I recommend adding Leap of the Heavens to the bonus feat list. It fits the idea. Basically, no penalty for not having a running start for jumping. And a bonus I believe.
    Giant Leap lets you get all jumps as if you had a running start and the Run feat. It's from the Ninja class. (They might be the same thing but renamed.)

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    If i'm not mistaken, in FF 3.5 that this guy is making all the classes are somewhat more powerful (not batman wizard 'I win, you suck' powerful or pun-pun broken) than core, so, it's balanced.

Also, good work.
    And I'm working on a pure FFX setting; the Wizard and Cleric are both replaced with weaker variants. And thanks

Soo thats still pretty hight for something the class is ment to do
    The Dragoon has at least +7 to jump when he gets to that level. He has to just roll a 13 or better and that's without slapping ranks into Jump.

22. - Top - End - #22

And if you're playing a freaking DRAGON KNIGHT and you don't put as many skill points as you can into jump there is something wrong with you.

Some math:
    Let's say 4th level Dragoon with 16 Strength and 10 Intelligence. He has a +3 Strength and +0 Intelligence bonus-wise, so 8 1st level skill points and 2 every level afterwards. At 1st level, 4 ranks max in class skills so let's say 4 in Jump, 2 in Climb, and 2 in Tumble. By 4th, let's have it be 7 in Jump, 4 in Climb, and 3 in Tumble.

So, this 4th level Dragoon has a Jump bonus of 7 (skill) + 3 (strength) + 3 (skill focus) + 4 (giant leap) aka 17. Making that Falling Charge skill check will not be difficult.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    And if you're playing a freaking DRAGON KNIGHT and you don't put as many skill points as you can into jump there is something wrong with you.
    Why someone doesn't want to max this skill? It's like being a truenamer and doesn't maxing truenaming

Also, do Run and Giant Leap Stack? If soo...

Kain, Human Dragoon, NG
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14
    HD 4d10+4 (29 HP); AC: 15 (10 +5 Breastplate); Speed 20 ft (max 80 ft);
    BAB/Grapple: +3/+6;
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Long Spear) (1st level), Run (human), Skill Focus (Jump) (dragoon), Power Attack (3rd level);
    Skills (((2+0)x4+4)+8): Jump +7(+13/+17), Intimidate +6 (+8), Knowledge(Nobility/Royalty) +4, Climb +3(+6);
    Class Features: Draconic Aura +1 (Power, Vigor, Toughness), Born Flyer, Giant Leap, Dragoon's Grace, Dragon's Heart, Falling Charge +2d6 2 rounds later, Sky's the Limit.

Against a Medium creature (8'/10'),

Without running: Jump DC 16/5 vertical/horizontal (64/20 original, 32/10 by Giant Leap, 16/5 by Sky's the limit), +13 (+7 ranks, +4 Giant Leap, +3 Str, +3 Skill Focus - 4 Breatplate), need 3/2 to pass;
    With running: Jump DC 16/5 (32/10 original, 16/5 by Sky's the limit), +17 (+7 ranks, +4 Giant Leap, +3 Str, +3 Skill Focus, + 4 run - 4 Breatplate), 1+ pass;

Against a Large Creature (16'/10'),

Without running: Jump DC 32/5 vertical horizontal (128/10 original, 64/10 by Giant Leap, 32/5 by Sky's the limit), +13 (+7 ranks, +4 Giant Leap, +3 Str, +3 Skill Focus - 4 Breatplate), need 19/5+ to pass;
    With running: Jump DC 32/5 (64/10 original, 32/5 by Sky's the limit), +17 (+7 ranks, +4 Giant Leap, +3 Str, +3 Skill Focus, + 4 run - 4 Breatplate), need 15/1+ to pass;

Against a Huge Creature (32'/10'):Still impossible

So, if you fight with Medium sized creatures you are 'the WIN', large are still challenging and above it is impossible. IF run stacks with giant leap. EVEN IF DOESN'T, you can put a full plate and still jump very high.

Edit: You know, to jump 128 ft (~38,4 m) you need to to pass a jump check with DC 64, so at level 20 th: 23 ranks + 10 Sr (str 16 + 4 level + 5 tome +6 belt) + 3 Skill focus + 4 run + 5 ring = 45, need 19 to pass the jump check. Still can't go to stratosphere or outreach a colossal creature all the time... shame
    Last edited by Arakune; 2007-10-02 at 07:01 PM.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    Why someone doesn't want to max this skill? It's like being a truenamer and doesn't maxing truenaming

Also, do Run and Giant Leap Stack? If soo...

{MATH}
    Oh wow, this is amazing. Someone actually did all the math. I think...I think I love you.

I might add in another ability to further lower the Jump DC (haw haw 1/8th! :V) later in the class, or maybe a flat Jump bonus.

25. - Top - End - #25

Oh wow, this is amazing. Someone actually did all the math. I think...I think I love you.

I might add in another ability to further lower the Jump DC (haw haw 1/8th! :V) later in the class, or maybe a flat Jump bonus.
    Could always give them the Jump feat from besm

Jump
    Adds 20 to all jump checks made

But not that drastic
    Last edited by Xenoti; 2007-10-02 at 08:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

You know, I think I would play this class simply so I could recreate this:
    http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=070911

27. - Top - End - #27

Yeah, I've toyed with jumping abilities in d20 systems and had decidedly disappointing results. D&D just ain't wuxia.

As it stands, you could give the dragoon a significant bonus to his Jump skill (You'll need something around +30-40 to really get those big jumps). Instead of giving the Dragoon massive bonuses to his Jump skill, though, why not draw up a new table for Dragoon jump checks? I'd redefine Sky's The Limit to include this new set.
    Last edited by Catch; 2007-10-02 at 10:16 PM.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

28. - Top - End - #28

I really am seriously tempted to try playing this as a real character; I just don't know how it'd work. Would it be overpowered? Underpowered? Smacking my head into ceilings all the time?

It'd be worth it though if I would be able to pull off the following:

Imagine a reasonably typical scenario. The PCs have found the room with the big, bad enemy wizard and his army of undead minions. The wizard is floating in mid-air at the back of the room shooting spells at the PCs while they're having to fight the undead to get over to him. Would it be hypothetically possible under the d20 rules for a dragoon to leap over to the wizard, use Falling Charge to plant his lance into his skull, and then leap (mid-air) off of his body back to where he started?
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2007-10-03 at 12:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

I think the flying spell would falter the moment the caster lost consciousness. Otherwise brilliant idea!

One thing: Scrap the 'Dragoon' name.
    All other things: I like the way how you've exploited movement. I love exploiting movement, making tactical skirmishing winning the fight instead of stupid brawn.

30. - Top - End - #30

You're probably right. If the attack did kill or KO the wizard, then his spell probably should be gone by the next round (when I'd be jumping back) and if he's falling he'd make no sense as a starting point for a return jump.

However, I just realized that as long as the wizard is high enough off of the ground I could always just use Fall with Style to get back. That works!