New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 183334353637383940414243
Results 1,261 to 1,273 of 1273
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sauron vs Voldemort

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Animated by Pun-Pun just means the effect can't be dispeled. It doesn't make the armor more powerful.
    ...I... You... Well...

I assume it would be a one on one death match.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    You are a god
    Many thanks to Bisected8 for the Jokertar.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Non-transparent Psionics & Vancian magic? I know little of psionics and don't care for them, though, so I'd be no good as a DM. I do have a silly sort of hook idea, which would definitely set the SvsV quest on track. What do y'all think of something low-mid-level, 6-8ish? Just high enough to have some real definition, but low enough to still be assigned quest by higher Powers That Be.
    Actually, a strange idea popped into my head- one side has all spells that allow saving throws (including the harmless ones), and the other one has all the spells that don't.

It's actually an interesting dynamic... one type of magic can be thrown off through force of will, while the other always works when it isn't countered, or resisted by something magic-resistant. Actually corresponds rather well to the two different types of magic from this thread... perhaps I'll have to use that idea sometime for a game.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

That's quite clever... but are there enough non-saving-throw spells to be handy? I suppose some suffusion of warlock would be in order, since eldritch blast and detect magic are handy terrifically handy for spamming and work with HP. That would ascribe the clearly defined toolkit to LOTR, too, which we've sort of determined isn't its style.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there are a fair number of non-saving throw spells. Among them...

-Almost all divinations (Scrying is the only one that has a saving throw off the top of my head...)
    -Many necromancy effects. The Resurrection line, for instance; also Enervation, Rays of enfeeblement/Exhaustion, and that line of things.
    -Teleportation effects.
    -Summoning.

In fact, non-saving throw magic corresponds pretty well with Harry Potter magic. I think there's enough non-saving throw spells to be at least fairly balanced. Maybe.

You're right about how the clearly defined saving-throw branch doesn't actually fit Tolkien's magic, but I think you'd be hard pressed to come up with a game system of magic that did. Mostly because rules for a game have to be sort of defined, and Tolkien's magic isn't...

... possibly the Tolkien side of things would be limited to divine magic? That seems like it would help even balance out, and it removes a solid chunk of the flashier, non-Tolkienesque magic. Still wouldn't be any good for an actual Middle-Earth setting, but it might help capture the feel of it.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #1265

Well, if I was to play (in D&D) one of the "powerful caster" hero types that we see in Middle Earth I'd make a CoDzilla build. I mean this for the ones that are also super-combatants.
    You are a god

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

Arcane/Divine is actually a rather good fit, agreed. To match HP's tone and power level, just start with the no-save spells and build up from there. A lot of Abjurations, Conjurations, Transmutations and Evocations. Not so much with Illusion and Enchantment. Somewhat with... well, I suppose we could just go to my homebrew thread and start matching the spells one-to-one with a D&D spell list. I tried to keep the spell descriptions I made a HP-based as possible, but I obviously had the D&D analogues in mind when writing some of them out.
    Last edited by Ditto; 2007-12-20 at 10:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Banned

Hey guys, good thing this thread hasn't been derailed

Really, what vs. thread should be next, even i am willing to admit the Lk vs. Sauron is getting old, i need a new medium. It is like when Link vs. Seph got closed, you need something new

I like Lord Soth, but against who?
    from,
    EE

8. - Top - End - #1268

Well, I don't actually know a whole lot about Lord Soth (just what I gained from reading The DragonLance Chronicles) besides the fact that he's totally awesome. I do thing that Sauron > Lord Soth > Witch King is a fairly accurate statement so maybe neither are a good combatant for Soth.

Maybe LK v LS? Except now it's two people that my knowledge about is minimal.

I'm going to start a WK v LK deathmatch thread.
    You are a god

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rowanomicon View Post
    Well, I don't actually know a whole lot about Lord Soth (just what I gained from reading The DragonLance Chronicles) besides the fact that he's totally awesome. I do thing that Sauron > Lord Soth > Witch King is a fairly accurate statement so maybe neither are a good combatant for Soth.

Maybe LK v LS? Except now it's two people that my knowledge about is minimal.

I'm going to start a WK v LK deathmatch thread.
    LK could destroy Lord Soth, but Arthas (death knight arthas) is an entirely different story
    WK vs LK?
    from,
    EE

10. - Top - End - #1270

You are a god

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Comparing the physical power and resources of Sauron and Voldemort is irrelevant, because neither can be permanently killed through direct bodily harm. They can only be defeated by understanding, finding and destroying the MacGuffins connected to their backstory. To kill Voldemort, you have to identify, find and destroy all his Horcruces. To kill Sauron, you have to find the One Ring, take it to Mount Doom, overcome its temptation (This is the big one, as it’s implied that this is literally impossible,) and throw it in the fire.

Where are these two going to meet? If one is meeting the other on his home turf, the invader will be unstoppable. If the One Ring is in Middle-earth, and you have no way of getting to Middle-earth, then Sauron can harass you indefinitely. The same is true of Voldemort and modern Earth.

If each contender can use his magic to travel to the other’s home turf, things become more interesting. Then it becomes a matter of how much each contender knows, or can learn through magic, about the other’s MacGuffin. It seems more likely that Sauron can read Voldemort’s mind than the other way around. And anyway, Sauron doesn't know where the Ring is, so mind reading would be of no use there. Furthermore, if Voldemort gains an incomplete understanding of the Ring, or even of a palantir, he’s likely to use it without understanding the risk and fall under Sauron’s control. This is more likely than it sounds – not only is Voldemort an idiot, but even some relatively smart people in Middle-Earth imagine that they can control the Ring. Even Gandalf, who knows as much as anyone about the rules of the story he's in, refuses to bear the ring because he knows he'd use it.

The only advantage Voldemort has in the arena of information warfare is the fact that books about Sauron exist in Voldemort’s world, and not the other way around. If Voldemort is clever enough to read The Lord of the Rings before engaging Sauron (unlikely as he may be to read muggle books when he won’t even deign to use the most deadly muggle weapons,) he might have a fighting chance.

However, both Sauron and Voldemort share the stereotypical villain’s flaw – they are incapable of lateral thinking. They both believe that any problem can be solved by throwing enough force at it, and they can’t imagine that the plans they’ve contrived to keep themselves in power might be circumvented. This means that they probably won’t even bother learning about each other’s weaknesses, and the fight will probably result in a draw. Sauron will keep throwing orcs and other monsters at Voldemort, and Voldemort and his Death Eaters will keep killing them, ad infinitum or until some outside force ends the fight.

So, it's a draw!
    Last edited by secretbison; 2009-12-10 at 05:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Banned

SB, you might want to familiarize yourself with the guidelines about thread necromancy...

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ogre in the Playground

The only advantage Voldemort has in the arena of information warfare is the fact that books about Sauron exist in Voldemort’s world, and not the other way around. If Voldemort is clever enough to read The Lord of the Rings before engaging Sauron (unlikely as he may be to read muggle books when he won’t even deign to use the most deadly muggle weapons,) he might have a fighting chance.
    What in gods name are you talking about?

Tolkien was obviously a Wizard.
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground