New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Creature] The doctor's bill will kill ya!

I thank JackMann for the idea of a medical insect creature.

-=-=-=-=-

Rememdian

Medium Monstrous Humanoid
    Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 14 (+3 dex, +1 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
    Attack: Sting +5 melee (1d4-1) or Sap +5 melee (1d6-1)
    Full Attack: Sap +5 melee (1d6-1) and Sting +0 melee (1d4-1)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Blood drain, injection, mosquito bite, sneak attack +2d6
    Special Qualities: Biosight, coagulant, scent
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8
    Skills: Handle Animal +1, Heal +14, Listen +10
    Feats: Improved Grapple(B), Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Any land
    Organization: Solitary, Pair, Trio,
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Any
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +3

Rememdians are fragile-seeming creatures appearing much as a giant wingless moth rendered bipedal. They are covered in a soft down of muted colors with patterns of darker or lighter shades that twitches and flick. Their eyeless heads are large and give the impression of aged old men, with long, shaggy beards and broad, flared snouts. A curled proboscis hides within the folds of their fuzzy faces below great feathery antennae that spread from the tops of their cranium. Their backs are slightly hunched and flexed with muscle, aiding in the incredible dexterity of their weak arms. These four arms are completely furless, ending in twin palms, each possessesing six fingers. Small barbs line their inner forearms, allowing them to grip a surface and yet still have use of their fingers. Their two legs are much the same, though thicker. Vibrating membranes on their humps allows them to communicate efficiently.

Rememdians are creatures both greatly feared and respected, with stories abounding on both their atrocities and great deeds. They are known as blood-thirsty parasites and benevolent healers. Both are equally true. Rememdians are renown herdsman, rounding up large animals in great numbers to feed upon. By extending their proboscis they can then bring forth a hollow fang with which they suck blood. Never is enough taken to harm the animals, and then the wound is healed. These herds are always of great health, as the better cared for the better for the rememdians. They also enjoy sucking the juices from fruits and vegetables, allowing them to survive on near any liquid.

Rememdians have had their dark histories however, and when plagues they could not control wiped out their herds, or drought brought harm to the land some societies were known to begin raiding and preying on other civilizations to survive. Likewise those that break rememdian law or their enemies are captured and slowly drained, their time of incarceration dependent on the crime, with murderers and the like being fed upon to death. Many rememdians however give their services as doctors in exchange for flora or fauna, while others are known to become deadly assassins. In such ways they vary as much as any other race, in both deeds, alignment and society.

Rememdians speak Remmm, though are capable of producing most other languages if they take the time to learn them.

Combat
    Rememdians tend to imbibe substances to weaken their opponents before attacking, though it is not required. They prefer attacks of stealth, sneaking upon their victim and wounding them in critical areas before they can respond. Though they have four arms, it requires two to wield a weapon with any proficiency, and so for the purpose attacking is considered the same as a human. They may take Two-weapon fighting, but it simply applies to the other two arms together.

Biosight (Ex): Rememdians can “see” by emitting high-frequency sounds, inaudible to most other creatures, that allow them to locate objects and creatures within 60 feet. This grants them a +4 bonus to listen checks. By focusing these sounds a rememdian can see directly into living creatures as well, allowing them a three-dimensional view, inside and out. They can automatically tell where an abnormality is within the being, such as an inhabiting parasite, broken bone, or other wound. This also allows them to know without fail if a creature is dead, at minus hit points, or simply bluffing. This grants them a +8 bonus on Heal checks. A silence spell negates this and forces the rememdian to rely soley on it's scent as they are otherwise blind.

Blood Drain (Ex): As a move action a rememdian that hits with a sting attack may deal 1 point of Constitution damage from blood loss. Each point of damage counts as 4 applications for the purpose of their injection ability.

Coagulant (Ex): A rememdian can apply their spittle to a wound, which instantly halts a wound from bleeding and from sustaining further damage such as from a Wounding weapon.

Injection (Ex): A rememdian can store up to 12 applications of any non-acidic liquid, potion, or poison within special internal sacks without being subjected to it's affects, beneficial or otherwise. They may at any time apply any single application to their sting attack or ingest the substance themselves as a swift action. When they make a sting attack they may even draw blood to keep stored. If this blood is from an infected creature they may safely keep it contained without becoming diseased. The rememdian may attempt to inject a stored substance while dealing only 1 point of non-lethal damage. If the subject is willing they may inject without dealing damage.

Mosquito's Bite (Ex): If a rememdian makes a successful DC 20 heal check they may sneak attack a victim without them feeling or being aware of the attack until the next round.

Sneak Attack (Ex): +2d6 as rogue's ability. Sneak attack damage from a class stack with this ability.

-=-=-=-=-

Rememdians as Characters

Rememdian characters possess the following racial traits.

* -2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Wis, -2 Cha
    * A rememdian’s base land speed is 30 feet.
    * Biosight out to 60 feet and Scent.
    * Racial Hit Dice: A rememdian begins with 1 level of monstrous humanoid, which provide 1d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +2, and Will +2.
    * Racial Skills: A rememdian's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 4 x Int modifier. Its class skills are Handle Animal, Heal and Listen.
    * Racial Feats: A rememdian's monstrous humanoid levels gives it one feat. They also get Improved Grapple as a bonus feat.
    * +1 natural armor bonus.
    * Natural Weapon: Sting (1d4)
    * Special Attacks (see above): Sneak attack 2d6
    * Special Qualities (see above)
    * Automatic Languages: Remmm. Bonus Languages: Common, Elven, Giant.
    * Favored Class: Healer
    * Level Adjustment: +3

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] The doctor's bill will kill ya!

Shouldn't the biosight ability also give a somewhat hefty bonus to confirming critical hits?
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Very nice creature, I like it. I like the flavor of them being benevolent healers or deadly assassains.

Although being blood-based creatures in my opinion I think they should have a slightly higher Con (say 14).

That being said, shouldn't the HD/HP be 1d8+1 since their Con is 12[+1]?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Why racial HD in the "As Characters" section? I thought that creatures with only 1 RHD had that replaced with their first class level.

Also, what sort of action is it to apply coagulant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

In the "As characters" section you have listed their monster levels give them 1 feat....that would mean they should have between 3 to 5 Hit Dice, equivalent to 3-5 class levels, thus giving them a feat. But you also list they only have 1 HD, which is replaced by a 1st lvl.....a level adjustment of +3 doesn't make them eligible for a bonus feat, only HD or class levels. other than that, i love it and I'm thinking of making one a recurring PC in my campaign with your permission.
    ..."With my sword raised high, I salute you. With my glass in hand, I toast you. With my head bowed in respect, I mourn you. You will be missed Gary."

Ernest Gary Gygax (July 27, 1939-March 4, 2008)

May your rolls be high, and your treasure plentiful.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #6

Interesting abilities, and I like the idea of a skill trick as a racial feature.

Are these based on the Anophelii from The Scar at all, or is it just a coincidence there?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    Shouldn't the biosight ability also give a somewhat hefty bonus to confirming critical hits?
    Not really, as though they can see 'where' to hit, they still have to be able to hit it.

That being said, shouldn't the HD/HP be 1d8+1 since their Con is 12[+1]?
    Had actually had them at 14 originally and forgot to change the 1 bonus hit point. However, a higher bonus to con would make them a bit more powerful than i wanted for them to be as a playable race. Also, dunno, why blood sucking would give them a higher con. Stirges have a con of 10, and vampires don't even have a con

Why racial HD in the "As Characters" section? I thought that creatures with only 1 RHD had that replaced with their first class level.
    They usually are, but I don't know it is a rule anywhere saying you have to.

Also, what sort of action is it to apply coagulant?
    The same as to apply anything else to someone I'd guess. The other likely has to be willing as it's hard to spit with accuracy.

In the "As characters" section you have listed their monster levels give them 1 feat....that would mean they should have between 3 to 5 Hit Dice, equivalent to 3-5 class levels, thus giving them a feat. But you also list they only have 1 HD, which is replaced by a 1st lvl.....a level adjustment of +3 doesn't make them eligible for a bonus feat, only HD or class levels.
    1 racial HD entitles them to 1 racial feat.

I'm thinking of making one a recurring PC in my campaign with your permission.
    Go for it, and let me know how it works out.

Are these based on the Anophelii from The Scar at all, or is it just a coincidence there?
    Not at all. The anophelii were merely humanoid mosquitoes, and only the women had probosci. Only common theme to both of these is they are capable of sucking blood.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-03-28 at 07:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Mostly the combination of 'blood-sucking' and 'intellectualism undone by said blood-sucking' struck me as reminiscent. Ah well.

While they do have powerful abilities, I'd be more inclined to make use of them if they were RHD 3/LA 1 rather than the other way around, and I don't really think two more monstrous humanoid levels ups their power significantly. And of course it avoids the confusion about 'first RHD is replaced by first class level'.
    Although I freely admit I despise level adjustment on principle, which contributes to the above.