New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Clothfighter (PEACH)

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Clothfighter

A Clothfighter is a person with a special affinity for threads and fabrics. They can use cloth as a weapon and eventually mimic creatures with their art.

MAKING A Clothfighter
    Abilities: Dexterity and Intelligence are the most important abilities for a Clothfighter, and Strength and Constitution are as important to them as to any character.
    Races: Any race can be a Clothfighter, but Humans and Gnomes are the most common. Alignment: Clothfighters can be any alignment.
    Starting Gold: As Rogue
    Starting Age: As Sorcerer

Class Skills
    The Clothfighter ‘s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Craft (all; Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)
    Skills Per Day at 1st Level : (4 + int)x4
    Skills Per Day at Each Additional Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

Clothfighter
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Weapon Finesse, Clothfighting, Quickdraw

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Cloth Shield (+1)

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Slashing Strike +1d6

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Clothfighting (+1), Clothing Skills (+2)

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Cloth Finesse

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Clothfighting (+2), Slashing Strike +2d6

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Cloth Summons (10)

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Clothfighting (+3), Clothing Bind I

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Slashing Strike +3d6, Clothing Skills (+4)

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Clothfighting (+4), Cloth Shield (+2),

11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Clothfighting (+5), Slashing Strike +4d6

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |

14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Clothfighting (+6), Clothing Skills (+6)

15th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Cloth Summons (20), Slashing Strike +5d6

16th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Clothfighting (+7)

17th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Clothing Bind II

18th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Clothfighting (+8), Slashing Strike +6d6

19th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Clothing Skills (+8)

20th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Cloth Summons (30), Clothing Bind III[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Clothfighter is proficient in all simple weapons and any other 4 weapons.

Class Features: A Clothfighter’s class features are as follows.

Weapon Finesse: A Clothfighter gains the Weapon Finesse feat as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Quickdraw: A Clothfighter gains the Quickdraw feat as a bonus feat at 1st level, but only for cloth weapons.

Cloth Shield (Ex): At 2nd level, a Clothfighter gains the ability to create a shield out of cloth. It gives a +1 shield bonus, has no armor check penalty, ad weighs one pound.
    At 10th level, the shield’s bonus increases to +2.

Clothfighting (Ex and Su, see text): The signature ability of a Clothfighter, a Clothfighter can use pieces of cloth as weapons. A Clothfighter can create any weapon that she in proficient with out of cloth. The weapon only works for her and other Clothfighters, falling limp in anyone else’s hands.
    At 4th level her cloth weapons gain a +1 enchantment bonus.
    At 5th level, a Clothfighter’s cloth weapons’ threat range doubles.
    At 6th level, and every 2 levels after except for level 20, a Clothfighter can choose to either increase her weapons’ enchantent bonus by one (up to +5), or to gain a special enchantment. Every time a Clothfighter gains a new enchantment, she can alter the past enchantments (for example, Jill the Clothfighter has +5 wounding cloth weapons. When she reaches level 18, she decides to change her enchatment to +2 Holy Brilliant Energy cloth weapons.).

Slashing Strike (Ex): As the Rogue ability Sneak Attack, but only while Flanking with a Cloth weapon.

Clothing Skills (Su): At level 4, and every 5 levels thereafter (9th, 14th, 19th), a Clothfighter gains a cumulative +2 bonus on the following skills: Hide, Move Silently, and Tumble, but only if she is wearing clothing.

Cloth Finesse (Ex): A level 5 Clothfighter can use her Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier for damage.

Cloth Summons (Su): A level 7 Clothfighter gains 10 summon points. She can spend these points to cast Summon Monster spells as a full-round action. One point counts as a level of the Summon Monster spell (3 points casts Summon Monster 3, ect…) a Clothfighter can only spend up to half her level (rounded down) at a time, and no more than 9 points at a time ever. She regains these points after sleeping for 8 hours.
    The Clothfighter’s pool increases to 20 points at level 15, and 30 points at level 20.

Clothing Bind (Su): An 8th level or higher Clothfighter learns how to manipulate other people’s clothing in a fight. Each round the clothing is under the Clothfighter is using this ability, the clothing deals damage equal to armor spikes of the appropriate size catagory times the number of attacks the wearer can make in a full attack to the one wearing the clothing (for example, Jill uses the Tier 2 Clothing Bind on Joe the Human Fighter. They are both level 17 and Joe wears +5 Full-Plate. So the armor does [1d6+5 (Damage)*4 (Joes's Full Attack)], or 4d6+20 damage each round. The Clothfighter must wait 2d4 rounds between uses of any of these abilities.
    Tier 1 (Level 8): A Clothfighter can make a special trip attack by making a touch attack. When the victim moves out of his square, he is subjected to a trip attempt for every square he moves. The Clothfighter gets a +4 bonus to her trip attempt, and cannot be tripped in return if her attempt fails. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Clothfighter’s Dexterity modifier.
    Tier 2 (Level 17): A Clothfighter of this caliber can paralyze an opponent for one round by succeeding on a touch attack.
    Tier 3 (Level 20): At 20th level, a Clothfighter masters the art of the Clothing Bind. By making a touch attack, the Clothfighter can paralyze her opponent for 3 rounds.

Feats:
    Spoiler
    Show

Threadfighting (General)
    Prerequisite: Clothfighting Ability
    Benefit: You may use threads, strings, and ropes as weapons. You gain a +5 bonus on use rope checks and escape artist checks involving ropes

Spiderthreads (General)
    Prerequisite: Threadfighting, Clothfighter level 3rd
    Benefit: At will, as a free action, you may give ropes and threads that you are touching the durability of monstrous spider webs, as if they were created by a spider of your size catagory. After you break contact, they last for a number of rounds equal to your intelligence modifier.

Clothclaws (General)
    Prerequisite: Clothfighting
    Benefit: By taking a round to concentrate on a piece of cloth (provoking atacks of opportunity), you can cause it to meld with you, giving you a natural attack as if you were one size smaller. This weapon is always considered your primary weapon when in effect.
    The weapon is considered a cloth weapon for the purposes of the Clothfighting ability

Combat Threadwork (General)
    You may sew two opponents together in combat.
    Prerequisites: Threadfighting, Spiderthreads, Craft (Sewing) 13 ranks
    Benefit: As a full-round action, you may make a touch attack against two adjacent opponents (use the average between the two Armor Classes), if you succeed, the targets are sewn together.
    Sewn Together creatures cannot move from being adjacent to eachother, and thus must coordinate their moves by delaying. If the pair do not take the exact same actions on each of their turns, they both take damage equal to your Dexterity score. Each turn, instead of moving, one of them can make a strength check to break the threads, if they succeed, they are no longer Sewn Together and can act normally. Using a turn in this way causes damage equal to your Dexterity score to both targets.
    This effect lasts until your Spiderthreads (see above) lose potency.

Clothshifter:
    Spoiler
    Show

While the Clothfighter uses fabric as a weapon, the Clothshifter uses it as a magical suit that alters his form.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    To qualify to become a (Clothshifter), a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
    Skills: Craft (Fabrics) 8 Ranks, Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, The Planes, Dungeoneering, or Nature) 3 ranks
    Feats: Clothclaws
    Special: Clothfighting

Class Skills
    The Clothshifter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Craft (all; Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, The Planes, Dungeoneering, and Nature; Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)

Skills Points at Each Level : 2 + Int Modifier

Hit Dice: d6

Clothshifter
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Clothshifting (+1), Secondary Clothclaws

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Multiple Clothclaws

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Clothshifting (+2), Sized Clothclaws

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Cloth Feats (1)

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Clothshifting (+3)

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Fast Clothshifting

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Clothshifting (+4)

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Cloth Feats (2)

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Clothshifting (+5)

10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Cloth Form, Perfect Clothclaws[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: Clothshifters gain no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Class Features:

Secondary Clothclaws: Your natural weapon granted by the Clothclaws feat is not always the primary weapon. You may wield another weapon as primary at any time.

Clothshifting: A Clothshifter can, as a 2 round action, once per hour, gain any template of the correct LA, as long as he has enough cloth to cover his entire body within arms-distance. The Clothshifter gains all the abilities of the template other than Spell-Like Abilities.
    At 1st level, a Clothshifter can only morph into a template with an LA of +1 or less, but every odd-numbered Clothshifter level adds one to this number (LA+2 at level 3, LA+3 at 5th, ect…)

Multiple Clothclaws: At 2nd level, and every 2 levels thereafter, a Clothshifter can create another natural weapon with the clothclaws feat, with the ability to use them all in a full-attack.

Sized Clothclaws: At 3rd level, a Clothshifter’s Clothclaws are normal for his size.

Cloth Feats: At 4th and 8th level, a Clothshifter gains “Floating” feats, assigned every time he uses the Clothshifting ability. These may be any feat he qualifies for.

Fast Clothshifting: At 6th level, a Clothshifter’s Clothshifting power only takes one full round action to use, and he may use it every 30 minutes, instead of once per hour.

Perfect Clothclaws: A 10th level Clothshifter’s Clothclaws count as two size categories larger than the Clothshifter for damage purposes.

Cloth Form: At 10th level, Clothshifters can use their Clothshifting ability once per round, as a standard action.

EDIT: Updated
    EDIT2: Updated with better readability. Clarified Clothing Bind.
    EDIT3: Updated with image.
    EDIT4: Updated with a new PRC
    EDIT5: More feats! Making Threadfighting image. Done
    Last edited by _Puppetmaster_; 2008-08-09 at 10:33 AM.
    Check out my class, the Clothfighter.

Spoiler
    Show

Thing-Thing and Inkscape Avatars by me

Paint-atar by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Clothfighter (PEACH)

You should add an ability that grants them skill bonuses as long as they're wearing clothes. And/or an ability to remove an opponent's non-magical armor/clothing; this could later be upgraded to include some magical armor/clothing (+1, +2, etc). The latter ability would make them especially unique & dangerous opponents.

3. - Top - End - #3

Good Idea.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I lik-ee very much yah

5. - Top - End - #5

Thank you.

This is my first Homebrew Class.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Very cool. All the time I was reading this, I was thinking, "My Cloaker race (not to plug my own stuff :P) could use this class... to use itself as a weapon!", which of course conjured up some very cinematic and totally badass battle fantasies in my head,

...yeah, i'm such a narcissist.

Just a few suggestions, if I may: the class could do with a little fomatting, I mean, it's not hard to read really, but it would look a whole lot nicer.
    Secondly, Clothing Bind could do with a little clarification. It took me a couple of read-throughs to really get what it meant. Common sense says it deals this damage to the guy wearing the clothing, but the rules don't explicitly say it.

Finally, it's good to see that 3.5 isn't dead yet. All the excellent homebrew stuff I keep downloading is making it too hard to switch to 4th!

EDIT: Ooh, I just remembered something I wanted to add: how about an ability that lets the Clothfighter use ordinary threads in a way that gives it spider-like strength?
    I could see Drow completely falling in love with a class that let them do stuff like that, for example. :D
    Last edited by kwanzaabot; 2008-08-06 at 06:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by kwanzaabot View Post
    Very cool. All the time I was reading this, I was thinking, "My Cloaker race (not to plug my own stuff :P) could use this class... to use itself as a weapon!", which of course conjured up some very cinematic and totally badass battle fantasies in my head,

...yeah, i'm such a narcissist.

Just a few suggestions, if I may: the class could do with a little fomatting, I mean, it's not hard to read really, but it would look a whole lot nicer.
    Secondly, Clothing Bind could do with a little clarification. It took me a couple of read-throughs to really get what it meant. Common sense says it deals this damage to the guy wearing the clothing, but the rules don't explicitly say it.

Finally, it's good to see that 3.5 isn't dead yet. All the excellent homebrew stuff I keep downloading is making it too hard to switch to 4th!

Ooh... I need to fix that.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Basing the damage of Clothing Bind on the number of attacks the TARGET gets makes no sense to me.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #9

Maybe the cloths have a type of "muscle memory?"

Like, they've been used like that before and the ability just brings it to the surface?

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm currently trying to find a good picture for the Clolthfighter.

Can anybody help me if they have one?

EDIT: I decided to make my own OotS-Style one. Is it any good, or should I get a different pic?
    Last edited by _Puppetmaster_; 2008-08-07 at 06:35 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Look for screenshots from the movie Hero.

12. - Top - End - #12

Woo! My PRC is up! I'm making an image now.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

I find this a very strange class. I don't know about balance, but this is really a ridiculous class. I think it would be hilarious to find this in a splatbook.

Also I love the animation!
    Last edited by Xyk; 2008-08-08 at 04:42 PM.
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Animated class demonstration images rock, you must include one with every possible homebrew (regardless of if it is a class or not) you make from now on. It will become your trademark (unless people copy the excellent idea) and you will gather a following...

Actual comments on content will be made another time...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

15. - Top - End - #15

I'm glad you guys like the animation. What do you guys think of the Clothshifter?

EDIT: Got Clothclaws Pic up
    Last edited by _Puppetmaster_; 2008-08-08 at 05:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Have you heard of the Anime/Manga/Book series Read or Die? The protagonists are paper masters with similar abilities to your clothfighter with paper instead of cloth, of course.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

17. - Top - End - #17

No, I've never heard of it. But it sounds cool.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

18. - Top - End - #18

Got Threadfighting pic up.

Sorry it's small and pixel-y, I messed up in the animation.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Long live 3.5! I like this a lot. Don't know about the balance but it is original and very cool. Kudos.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

I think I'm going to play-test this in a PbP game pending my acceptance if that's okay with you. Once again nice job.

EDIT: So wait, if a character has spiderthreads can they throw a rope or string as a touch attach to do an entangle? It's slightly vague.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-08-10 at 02:36 PM.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
    I think I'm going to play-test this in a PbP game pending my acceptance if that's okay with you. Once again nice job.

EDIT: So wait, if a character has spiderthreads can they throw a rope or string as a touch attach to do an entangle? It's slightly vague.
    No, the spiderthreads only gain the strength of spiderwebs, not the stickyness.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by _Puppetmaster_ View Post
    No, the spiderthreads only gain the strength of spiderwebs, not the stickyness.
    Gotcha. Thanks.

My meager homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    Have you heard of the Anime/Manga/Book series Read or Die? The protagonists are paper masters with similar abilities to your clothfighter with paper instead of cloth, of course.
    I thought of Teppa-kun from Grenadier.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

First crappy homebrew, the Arcane Gambler PrC. PEACH please!

Second crappy homebrew. Click here if you want alignments to be more confusing.

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" -Auron, Final Fantasy X

24. - Top - End - #24

Any ideas on what type of PRC I should make next?

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I rather like these - and the animations really help out!
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

26. - Top - End - #26

Thank you.

I'm thinking of making an archer PRC next.

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Have you ever seen the movie Shinobi? (guess what it's about ) There's a character who does crazy things with threads on his sleeves I.E. Pulling himself, throwing people long distances and generally doing insane stuff. Sadly, I won't be able to give you playtesting data. The DM nixed the campaign.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-08-14 at 07:56 PM.

My meager homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In G-Gundam Master Asia destroys mecha with a piece of cloth. It is awesome.

This class makes me think of that. Therefore this class is awesome.

Great job!
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

29. - Top - End - #29

Yay! Another person likes my class!

...wow, I'd forgotten about this thread...

Spoiler
    Show

Paint-atar by me.