Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

Printable View

Show 60 post(s) from this thread on one page
Added. Also it deals Sneak Attack damage effectively.

Quote:

• Arcanist's Insight's fluff doesn't line up with what it does. If they're meant to be trained against spellcasters, then shouldn't the bonus only apply on Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities?
  • Edited.

Quote:

• Battle Aptitude is meant to allow them to count as Fighters for the purpose of feat prerequisites only, right?
  • Fixed.

Quote:

• Desert Legion is pretty meh as an ability. I'd suggest making it scale and maybe only have it apply in desert environs.
  • Added Scaling.

Quote:

• I'll admit that the weather and terrain rules for Pathfinder are foreign to me, so before I go a-learning, did any of your class's rules come from the 3.5 Sandstorm supplement?
  • Sandskimmer uses Sandstorms expanded rules for movement across sand as couldn't find anything about desert movement for Pathfinder.

Quote:

• What exactly does the Desert Within feat do?
  • That was an old version of it. Updated it.
  • 2012-08-01, 10:19 PM
    Tanuki Tales
    Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I don't want this class to be able to cast Cantrips and Unlimited Amount of times per day, as I feel that for Warrior/Mages they shouldn't have unlimited resources of magic.

Well, that kind of goes against how Pathfinder has set up their Magic system and I don't particularly remember you making any exceptions in the spellcasting entry for the class, so players just picking up your class wouldn't understand that this was in effect.

I know it might be a little much to suggest with only ~5 or 6 days left in the competition, but what if you dropped the spellcasting from the class entirely and focused more on the Sand Points. You can change the spell list to being spells who's effects they can emulate by expending Sand Points and then there's no rule clashing with you wanting Cantrips to not be unlimited until the capstone.

Quote:

Sandskimmer uses Sandstorms expanded rules for movement across sand as couldn't find anything about desert movement for Pathfinder.
    Ah. Well, then may I suggest changing it to giving a version of Woodland Stride then? Allowing them to move through desert terrain unimpaired (which I assume means they treat difficult and hazardous terrain as normal as long as it's not magically made).

I'll go reading into the rules concerning deserts now then.

Quote:

That was an old version of it. Updated it.
    That makes more sense.
  • 2012-08-02, 12:48 AM
    Milo v3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Well, that kind of goes against how Pathfinder has set up their Magic system and I don't particularly remember you making any exceptions in the spellcasting entry for the class, so players just picking up your class wouldn't understand that this was in effect.

I thought it would be obvious since it lacks the ability which makes the Infinite Cantrips allowed.

Quote:

I know it might be a little much to suggest with only ~5 or 6 days left in the competition, but what if you dropped the spellcasting from the class entirely and focused more on the Sand Points. You can change the spell list to being spells who's effects they can emulate by expending Sand Points and then there's no rule clashing with you wanting Cantrips to not be unlimited until the capstone.
    That was the original plan but there are only around three sand spells in Pathfinder.

Quote:

Ah. Well, then may I suggest changing it to giving a version of Woodland Stride then? Allowing them to move through desert terrain unimpaired (which I assume means they treat difficult and hazardous terrain as normal as long as it's not magically made).
    That would work.
  • 2012-08-02, 12:51 AM
    Tanuki Tales
    Quote:

I thought it would be obvious since it lacks the ability which makes the Infinite Cantrips allowed.

That being...? I've read the spells entry twice and am obviously missing it.

Quote:

That was the original plan but there are only around three sand spells in Pathfinder.
    Well, you can keep the same list and just say it's channeling Wasteland spirits or something similar.
  • 2012-08-02, 01:08 AM
    Milo v3
    Quote:

That being...? I've read the spells entry twice and am obviously missing it.

The Cantrip ability. Its the only thing allowing the Infinite Cantrips. This class doesn't have that ability.

Quote:

Well, you can keep the same list and just say it's channeling Wasteland spirits or something similar.
    That really doesn't fit the fluff, as they are just wizards with a desert theme to its spells.

Also that would be straying into druid territory for my campaign as they function by channeling elemental spirits.
  • 2012-08-02, 01:17 AM
    Midwoka
    Quote:

• I feel the Organization entry for the Myrmaton doesn't go into enough detail. From the ecology you provide, these guys aren't likely to be encountered alone, so your Organization entry should make mentions of what makes up groups that contain them (look at monsters like Orcs or Hill Giants for example).
    • The caster level for making a Myrmaton is off. Lesser Geas isn't usable until level 7 at the bare minimum.

Yeah, the Organization entry could use some expanding. I'll see about adding some detail to it later.

The caster level for their construction is fine, though. It follows Paizo's convention, since the three constructs I'm most familiar with in Pathfinder (Clay Golem, Flesh Golem, Scarecrow) can be created with a lower CL than the minimum level to cast their requisite spells (Resurrection, Limited Wish, Geas/Quest). Maybe that's so lower-level builders can use scrolls? In any case, I was following their example.

Quote:

• Well. Wow. I must say I'm impressed with your entry Midwoka. It's not often that I see a monster that is so unique and variable all within the same stat block, let alone from a construct.

=D
  • 2012-08-02, 01:27 AM
    Tanuki Tales
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Midwoka View Post
    The caster level for their construction is fine, though. It follows Paizo's convention, since the three constructs I'm most familiar with in Pathfinder (Clay Golem, Flesh Golem, Scarecrow) can be created with a lower CL than the minimum level to cast their requisite spells (Resurrection, Limited Wish, Geas/Quest). Maybe that's so lower-level builders can use scrolls? In any case, I was following their example.

Hm, right on all accounts. That is a weird spot of the rules though, but I bet it's more to allow NPCs of lower levels to make golems by RAW then for low level PCs to have cohorts. Anyways, carry on.
  • 2012-08-02, 05:35 AM
    Ancient Hippo
    Quote:

There ya go.

Of course... *Feels stupid.*
  • 2012-08-02, 10:26 AM
    Midwoka
    Oh, hey... I just noticed that the Past Entries Archive has the wrong link for Midwokans - it leads to Warp Wolves instead.
  • 2012-08-03, 01:42 PM
    Realms of Chaos
    I was about to use a similar wording but the way I worded it would have let players construe "at least" to mean "no fewer than". Your wording seems to work, however, so consider it fixed. Also, thanks for pointing out my weird typo. I wish that I had a picture to go with it but after a long DA/Google search, I seriously couldn't find a single picture of a single soldier/warrior/berserker running off to fight an army alone.

Edit: I just found the perfect picture. A bit less serious than the rest of the class but if you understand the reference, it becomes glorious. :smallbiggrin:
  • 2012-08-03, 08:50 PM
    Tanuki Tales
    Quote:

The Cantrip ability. Its the only thing allowing the Infinite Cantrips. This class doesn't have that ability.

Well, you can see that I always gloss over the fact that it's a class feature instead of an intrinsic part of their magic system. :smalltongue:

Quote:

That really doesn't fit the fluff, as they are just wizards with a desert theme to its spells.

Also that would be straying into druid territory for my campaign as they function by channeling elemental spirits.
    Then maybe they're just channeling the Morphegenic essence of the desert? You can always just make it spellcasting in every way but name so people picking up the class don't get confused or feel it's a weaker option (spellcasting wise) compared to the Magus or other Gish base classes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midwoka View Post
    Oh, hey... I just noticed that the Past Entries Archive has the wrong link for Midwokans - it leads to Warp Wolves instead.

Thanks for pointing that out. :smallsmile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    Edit: I just found the perfect picture. A bit less serious than the rest of the class but if you understand the reference, it becomes glorious. :smallbiggrin:

Sir. You did slay me. Full heartedly.

I must now recover from my sides hurting. :smallbiggrin:
  • 2012-08-03, 09:27 PM
    Milo v3
    Quote:

Then maybe they're just channeling the Morphegenic essence of the desert? You can always just make it spellcasting in every way but name so people picking up the class don't get confused or feel it's a weaker option (spellcasting wise) compared to the Magus or other Gish base classes.

Channeling "The way body parts are formed" essence of the desert......

Also how would replacing the spellcastering stuff work? Do you mean just adding more abilities like sand storm and desert blade to replace the spells.
  • 2012-08-03, 10:33 PM
    Tanuki Tales
    Quote:

Channeling "The way body parts are formed" essence of the desert......

Sorry, meant Morphogenetic field; DC's Buddy Baker can naturally tap into the planet's Morphogenetic field and copy the abilities of any animal on the planet. So you could have the class do something similar and tap into the very essence of the desert on a metaphysical level.

Quote:

Also how would replacing the spellcastering stuff work? Do you mean just adding more abilities like sand storm and desert blade to replace the spells.
    Basically what I was suggesting is come up with a cost system running on Sand points. The Warcaster knows a certain amount of spells and can cast them by spending X amount of Sand points based on the spell's level. That way you keep the spellcasting but don't hand out infinite cantrips. And you can always cap how often they can mimic a certain spell.

So you get spellcasting in practically every way but name.
  • 2012-08-03, 10:51 PM
    Milo v3
    Quote:

Sorry, meant Morphogenetic field; DC's Buddy Baker can naturally tap into the planet's Morphogenetic field and copy the abilities of any animal on the planet. So you could have the class do something similar and tap into the very essence of the desert on a metaphysical level.

The thing is they are meant to just be wizards who focused on combat in the desert also I don't think it will fit with the flavour of my setting at all.

Quote:

Basically what I was suggesting is come up with a cost system running on Sand points. The Warcaster knows a certain amount of spells and can cast them by spending X amount of Sand points based on the spell's level. That way you keep the spellcasting but don't hand out infinite cantrips. And you can always cap how often they can mimic a certain spell.

So you get spellcasting in practically every way but name.
    I plan to only Sand Points on spells which could be done with sand, also I'd have to move Living Desert down to level one. And it would distance itself even further from Wizards.
  • Show 60 post(s) from this thread on one page
    Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast