View Single Post

Thread: [3.5]Greater Produce Flame (PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default [3.5]Greater Produce Flame (PEACH)

I really like the Produce Flame spell, it is versatile and useful, but at higher levels it loses its "punch" I got the idea to make a higher level version, with a few more options and more power. For those unfamiliar with the spell, or who don't feel like dragging out their players hand book here is the original:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Produce Flame
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: Drd 1, Fire 2
    Components: V, S
    Casting time: 1 standard action
    Range 0ft
    Effect: Flame in your palm
    Duration: 1 min./Level
    Saving throw: None
    Spell resistance: Yes
    Flames as bright as a torch appear in your open hand. The flames harm neither you nor your equipment.
    In addition to providing illumination, the flames can be hurled or used to touch enemies. You can strike an opponent with a melee touch attack, dealing fire damage equal to 1d6+1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Alternately you can hurl the flames up to 120 feet as a thrown weapon. When doing so, you attack with a ranged touch attack (with no ranged penalty) dealing the same damage as the melee attack. No sooner do you hurl the flames than a new set appears in your hand. Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to less than one minute, the spell ends after the attack resolves.
    This spell does not function underwater.

and I thought that this would be a good higher level variant:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Produce Flame, Greater
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: Drd 3
    Components: V, S
    Casting time: 1 standard action
    Range 0ft
    Effect: Flame in your palm
    Duration: 1 min. /Level
    Saving throw: Reflex partial
    Spell resistance: Yes
    Flames twice as bright as a torch appear in your open hand. The flames harm neither you nor your equipment.
    In addition to providing illumination, the flames can be hurled or used to touch enemies. You can strike an opponent with a melee touch attack, dealing fire damage equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +10) plus and additional 1d6 per 3 caster levels. Alternately you can hurl the flames up to 200 feet as a thrown weapon. When doing so, you attack with a ranged touch attack (with no ranged penalty) dealing the same damage as the melee attack. No sooner do you hurl the flames than a new set appears in your hand. Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to less than one minute, the spell ends after the attack resolves. By blowing across the flames as a standard action you may generate a 30 cone of Flame dealing 1d6 damage per minute left in the spells duration rounded up (maximum 1d6/per caster level) +1 damage per caster level, (maximum +15) with a reflex save for half damage. Using the spell in this manner immediately exhausts all remaining minutes in the spells duration.
    This spell does not function underwater.

Pointing out any possible balance issues or new spells to continue the spell chain would be appreciated.
    Last edited by madock345; 2011-03-06 at 01:04 AM.
    I can be friendly whenever I wish, Alas for you, wishing to be intelligent does not make it so.

My Ninja and its Setting also, My Samurai P.E.A.C.H!