View Single Post

Thread: [Pathfinder] Character Sheets

1. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Character Sheets

The Caster Level stacks with different spellcasting classes for the purposes of determining concentration checks.

For instance, a 3rd level Cleric, 3rd level Wizard and 4th level Mystic Theurge would have a Caster level of 10(3+3+4) for determining concentration checks but a caster level of 7th for Divine or Arcane spells.

That is, because concentration shows now how much skill one has in handling magic in general. Well, at least that's how I see it.

Edit: On second thought, I might be wrong. The other case would be if it counted separately on different classes, which makes sense as well.
    Let's say we have a character, with 16 Wis & 17 Int, 2 levels of Cleric & 5 levels of Wizard. In this way of handling concentration, he would get 5(3+2) for Cleric Spells and 8(3+5) for Wizard spells.

I'll try looking through the book again to see if they clarify that anywhere.

Edit 2: Yes, it seems I was wrong. It's not 100% clear on the book, but it's actually written "properly" if read carefully.
    It says: "When you make a concentration check, you roll d20 and add your caster level and the ability score modifier used to determine bonus spells of the same type.".
    That basically means, that concentration counts differently for different types of spells(by different classes, that is).

Sorry for the long message :)
    Last edited by Korbu; 2011-03-06 at 08:26 PM.