I thought he was a Master Thrower!

Quote Originally Posted by Van der Decken
CN Necropolitan Human Dread Necromancer 6/Dread Pirate 10/Dread Witch 4
STR 10 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 10 CHA 16
Boost CHA at level-ups

HENDRIK VAN DER DECKEN
Spoiler
Show
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Dread Necromancer 1 (HoH 85)|
+0
|
+2
|
+2
|
+2
|Appraise 4, Concentration 2, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Profession (Sailor) 4, Swim 2, Use Rope 1|Apprentice: Craftsman (DMG2 176-7), Tomb-Tainted Soul (LM 31), Martial Weapon Proficiency: Cutlass (Stw 107)|Charnel Touch, Rebuke Undead, One Martial Weapon Proficiency, Spells

2nd|Dread Necromancer 2|
+1
|
+2
|
+2
|
+3
|Appraise 5, Concentration 3, Profession (Sailor) 5, Swim 2.5, Use Rope 1.5|-|Lich Body: DR 2/Bludgeoning and Magic

3rd|Dread Necromancer 3|
+1
|
+3
|
+3
|
+3
|Appraise 6, Concentration 4, Swim 3, Use Rope 2.5|Weapon Finesse|Negative Energy Burst 1/day

4th|Dread Necromancer 4|
+2
|
+3
|
+3
|
+4
|Appraise 7, Concentration 5, Profession (Sailor) 6, Swim 3.5, Use Rope 3 |-|Advanced Learning, Mental Bastion +2

5th|Dread Necromancer 5|
+2
|
+3
|
+3
|
+4
|Appraise 8, Concentration 7, Profession (Sailor) 7, Swim 4 |-|Fear Aura

6th|Dread Necromancer 6|
+3
|
+4
|
+4
|
+5
|Concentration 9, Profession (Sailor) 8, Use Rope 4|Quick Draw|Scabrous Touch 1/day

7th|Dread Witch 1 (HoH 98)|
+3
|
+4
|
+4
|
+7
|Concentration 10, Intimidate 1, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (The Planes) 2|Unnatural Will (HoH 125)|Master of Terror, Bonus Feat (Unnatural Will)

8th|Dread Witch 2|
+4
|
+4
|
+4
|
+8
|Concentration 11, Intimidate 2, Knowledge (Arcana) 6, Knowledge (The Planes) 4|-|Absorb Fear

9th|Dread Pirate 1 (CAd 39)|
+5
|
+4
|
+6
|
+8
|Concentration 12, Intimidate 8, Use Rope 5|Daunting Presence (LM 25), Two-Weapon Fighting|Seamanship, Bonus Feat (Two-Weapon Fighting)

10th|Dread Pirate 2|
+6
|
+4
|
+7
|
+8
|Balance 2, Climb 1, Concentration 13, Intimidate 10, Listen 1, Spot 1|-|Fearsome Reputation: Dishonorable

11th|Dread Pirate 3|
+7
|
+5
|
+7
|
+9
|Balance 4, Climb 2, Concentration 14, Intimidate 12, Listen 2, Spot 2|-|Sneak Attack +1d6

12th|Dread Pirate 4|
+8
|
+5
|
+8
|
+9
|Balance 5, Climb 4, Concentration 15, Intimidate 14, Listen 3, Spot 3|Frightful Presence (Dra 106)|Acrobatic Charge, Steady Stance

13th|Dread Pirate 5|
+9
|
+5
|
+8
|
+9
|Climb 5, Concentration 16, Gather Information 2, Intimidate 16, Listen 4, Spot 4|-|Scourge of the Seas

14th|Dread Pirate 6|
+10
|
+6
|
+9
|
+10
|Concentration 17, Gather Information 4, Intimidate 17, Listen 5, Sense Motive 1, Sleight of Hand 1, Spot 5|-|Fearsome Reputation +4

15th|Dread Pirate 7|
+11
|
+6
|
+9
|
+10
|Concentration 18. Gather Information 6, Intimidate 18, Listen 6, Sense Motive 2, Sleight of Hand 2, Spot 6|Empower Turning (LM 26)|Sneak Attack +2d6

16th|Dread Pirate 8|
+12
|
+6
|
+10
|
+10
|Concentration 19, Gather Information 8, Intimidate 19, Listen 7, Sense Motive 3, Sleight of Hand 3, Spot 7|-|Skill Mastery

17th|Dread Pirate 9|
+13
|
+7
|
+10
|
+11
|Concentration 20, Gather Information 10, Intimidate 20, Listen 8, Sense Motive 4, Sleight of Hand 4, Spot 8|-|Motivate the Scum

18th|Dread Pirate 10|
+14
|
+7
|
+11
|
+11
|Concentration 21, Gather Information 12, Intimidate 21, Listen 9, Sense Motive 5, Sleight of Hand 5, Spot 9|Quicken Turning (LM 29)|Fearsome Reputation +6, Pirate King

19th|Dread Witch 3|
+14
|
+8
|
+12
|
+11
|Concentration 22, Intimidate 22, Knowledge (The Planes) 5; Skill Trick: Hidden Blade (CSc 87)|-|Fearful Empowerment 1/day

20th|Dread Witch 4|
+15
|
+8
|
+12
|
+12
|Appraise 9, Concentration 23, Intimidate 23, Knowledge (Arcana) 7|-|Delay Fear, Greater Master of Terror[/table]

SPELL TABLE:
Spoiler
Show
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|6|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|7|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|7|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|7|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|7|7|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|7|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

ADVANCED LEARNING SPELL:
Spoiler
Show
Wracking Touch (CAd 158)

The Tale of Captain van der Decken:

Leaving Port (1st level)
Spoiler
Show
Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Vernal Equinox.
It has been a difficult month for Master Koenig and myself, as we were both impressed into service aboard this privateer’s ship some nineteen days ago. Koenig is a noted cabinet and coffin maker as well as a skilled necromancer, so my apprenticeship to him made perfect sense, until we were asked to make repairs on the Dark Dagger. The first mate, a half-orc called Mister Swee, insisted she was taking on water after a storm and needed the attention of a skilled woodcrafter. The moment Koenig and I were aboard, however, they weighed anchor and congratulated us on joining the crew of the Dark Dagger, with the choice to join the shark food instead, if we’d prefer. Naturally, we became newly minted sailors. While the particular magics we specialize in are not helpful when the ship is becalmed, Mister Swee and Captain Pinchard seem pleased both with our abilities to make repairs, and to create fear and chaos as they beat to quarters and board other, captured, vessels.
Spoiler
Show
Tomb-Tainted Soul is practically required for Dread Necromancer, while the Apprentice: Craftsman feat is one of the few ways outside multiclassing to open up the Appraise skill that Dread Pirate needs. Charnel Touch provides a decent amount of damage and healing for its level, given a character that’s spec’d as a controller rather than a front line fighter. With Bane and Summon Undead 1, Hendrik tilts the tide of battle toward his side significantly, while he can provide damaging spells if he wishes, given the Dread Necromancer’s casting mechanic and spell list. The ability to rebuke undead is both useful for a party’s early-level survival, and important for his intended path of class and PrC. Cutlass isn’t technically required - and admittedly adds a bit of book-bloat - but it’s a perfect thematic fit for a nautical character, and a weapon that can be used with the Weapon Finesse that will be picked up at 3rd level.

Tacking (5th level)
Spoiler
Show
Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Summer Solstice.
We have been busy lately, refitting the Dark Dagger to operate with a smaller crew. Captain Pinchard died during a raid on a port town nigh on four weeks ago now, as did Swee. Fortunately, Koenig was able to bring them back to serviceable animation, with the added boon that they’re quieter and less recalcitrant now. The crew was initially a bit reluctant, and tried to mount a fight; they quickly realized attacks against me were less painful than were my replies, not to mention the bursts of dark energy that would hurt them and heal me and Koenig’s called creations. Additionally, the disquietude I have learned to exude made them a bit less than enthusiastic once the battle was joined against the supposed mutiny. They ultimately voiced no objection to Koenig becoming Captain, or to my promotion to First Mate. So, now we’ve put in for a new, skeleton, crew. Koenig has said I’m close to a major step in my learning process. I hope that bodes well.
Spoiler
Show
With the Dread Necromancer’s DR and Negative Energy Burst, Hendrik becomes a better melee combatant. Weapon Finesse applies to his touch spells, to Charnel Touch, and to his Cutlass to make up ground lost to choosing other than a full-BAB chassis. Negative Energy Burst keeps him - and any Undead in his presence - upright longer, while reducing the enemies’ HP totals at the same time. The Fear Aura augments the controller role he’s destined for. Wracking Touch is not often mentioned as a choice for Advanced Learning, but the fact that it keys off a touch attack and explicitly allows for Sneak Attack damage regardless of flanking or loss of DEX bonus makes it a solid choice for a Dishonorable Dread Pirate in training. Mental Bastion augments otherwise unremarkable saves against many of the popular SoD variety spells. Note that Hendrik spends an inordinate amount of time as a 5th level Dread Necromancer, as he undergoes the Ritual of Crucimigration to become a Necropolitan (LM 115) after gaining just over 1100 XP beyond the 6th level base, and the Ritual of Crucimigration costs him that level + 1000 worth of XP.

Yawing (10th level)
Spoiler
Show
Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Autumnal Equinox.
Having repaid in full the “kindness” Koenig visited upon me by making me endure crucimigration, the Dark Dagger is now mine. It seems even a necromancer of his purported skills is not immune to terror, and I have become quite skilled at terror during my time aboard ship. My crew and I now prowl up and down the coast, living the good life - or is that the good unlife? - plundering any ships who cross within sight of our crow’s nest. Any who try to engage me in a one-on-one fight soon find reason to regret it, as I can either overawe them, or, in the increasingly rare cases where I find myself worried for my continued existence, I can bring another ghoulish minion to bear upon them to make it a decidedly unfair fight.
Spoiler
Show
Hendrik exits Dread Necromancer after acquiring the Fear Aura (that will augment a Dread Pirate’s Intimidation techniques very well), and obtaining Scabrous Touch’s ability to inflict a contagion, along with 3rd level spells. Quick Draw is not a terribly strong feat, but coupled with the free TWF that a 1st level Dread Pirate gets, it means Hendrik is dangerous with both Cutlass and Charnel Touch at virtually all times in melee range. Meanwhile, Dread Witch and Dread Pirate pile on Intimidation bonuses, Dread Witch gives Unnatural Will as a bonus feat to strengthen an already strong save with his strongest attribute, and the ability either to ignore a lost caster level when shaken or to cast Summon Undead I when frightened. Because Hendrik finds it simplest to crew his ship with rebuked undead minions, the Seamanship bonus he can impart to the crew is very useful in keeping the ship afloat. Daunting Presence on top of his impressive Intimidate bonuses starts to pile on the debuffing effects and keep enemies shaken, or worse. The spell list of the Dread Necromancer further augments this, obviously.

Full Sail Ahead(15th level)
Spoiler
Show
Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Winter Solstice.
My undead crew grows larger by the battle, and I find myself with less and less reason to leave the familiar comforts of the Dark Dagger. I move about the ship more easily than when on dry land, truth to tell, and there is always something to do, from keeping the crew cowed, to attacking another ship, to defending ourselves against any still foolish or ignorant enough to attack us. It’s increasingly rare that any willingly step aboard my decks uninvited, and even those that do are rightly filled with trepidation. Most don’t last more than a few seconds before falling to their knees, blubbering and asking for mercy. When the mood strikes me, that mercy is granted; other times, they become crew members, which I believe is its own mercy.
Spoiler
Show
With Acrobatic Charge and 2d6 Sneak Attack, Hendrik is a perfectly capable combatant in melee, even if it isn’t his strongest suit. Frightful Presence only works on a charge, though, which means the use of Acrobatic Charge is the most efficient way for him to transform an unafraid foe into a panicked one in a single movement; this works because of his prodigious Intimidate bonuses from his classes and skills, and because he’s stacked Daunting Presence, Frightful Presence, and Scourge of the Seas. Steady Stance keeps Hendrik from worrying about his Flat-Footed AC aboard the Dark Dagger and lets him find strategic advantage where he can for his fear-inducing. As mentioned under Tacking, Wracking Touch pairs up uncommonly well with the dishonorable Dread Pirate’s 2d6 Sneak Attack, and can even be combined with Charnel Touch or Scabrous Touch, with a little planning in how Hendrik’s actions are spent.

All Hands On Deck (18th level, sweet spot)
Spoiler
Show
Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Feast of the New Year.
I have laid claim to a small island, where the bounty ransacked from the ships we plunder can be safely stored, away from the tariff-mongers and government scalawags. My crew of zombies, ghouls, and skeletons is both large and loyal to me, and few even dare to challenge my supremacy on the seas these days. When they do, I merely crush the skull of one of my skeletal shipmates to incite frenzy in the crew and, subsequently, terror in the idiot who dared defy the Dark Dagger. Even in my unlife, I’m more nimble than ever, and can rarely be caught out unawares by those few skilled at doing so. I do not think it an idle boast to call myself king of the seas.
Spoiler
Show
Skill Mastery keeps Hendrik’s movement skills from failing him, while his continued emphasis of the ‘social’ skills plays to his strong CHA score and the synergies of his massive class-based Intimidate bonuses. Motivate the Scum allows him to destroy a single undead in his crew in order to give the remaining crew a substantial +4 bonus in fighting the enemy, one of whom will be instantly converted, via Quicken Turning and a simple, relatively cheap scroll, to serve under Captain van der Decken. This ‘sweet spot’ does come relatively late in the build, because a Dread Necromancer’s BAB does not allow entry into Dread Pirate especially early and because every single level of Dread Pirate provides a significant boost to the build’s power level. Each Fearsome Reputation bonus couples with the Dread Witch’s bonus to Intimidate, and two more of those levels are forthcoming to finish out the build. The benefits of Pirate King’s granted Followers are obvious. In the 19th and 20th levels of the build, Hendrik’s ability to inspire fear gets even larger boosts via Fearful Empowerment and Greater Master of Terror, while Delay Fear allows him to create chaos for his amusement by unleashing panicked folks upon an unsuspecting populance. The skill trick Hidden Blade gives him another way to utilize the 2d6 Sneak Attack Dread Pirate grants in a pinch.

Baubles and Gewgaws (Optional extras)
Spoiler
Show
Access to Flaws would allow for Shaky and Vulnerable, in exchange for moving Daunting Presence to 1st level and finding room for Extra Turning. This would allow for the Imperious Command feat as yet another Intimidation stacking effect at 9th level. Fearsome armor and as many Nightsticks as Hendrik can buy without the DM beating his player over the head with a DMG would be obviously useful gear choices; similarly, increasing the damage potential on the cutlass through magical means is definitely recommended if Hendrik is to make full use of his combat skills. He ends up with a respectable +15 BAB, so he’s not just a ‘hide in the back’ variety DN, particularly with the way he utilizes Acrobatic Charge, so this is a real option for him.

SOURCE LIST
Spoiler
Show
SRD
DMG2: Apprentice (Craftsman) feat
Heroes of Horror: Dread Necromancer, Dread Witch, Unnatural Will
Libris Mortis: Necropolitan Template, Daunting Presence, Empower Turning, Quicken Turning
Draconomicon: Frightful Presence
Complete Adventurer: Dread Pirate, Wracking Touch
Complete Scoundrel: Hidden Blade skill trick
Stormwrack: Cutlass