View Single Post

Thread: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

1. - Top - End - #628
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    And as I said, making up brand new categories to accommodate these absurd questions is just legitimising them.
    Agreed. Explanation, Education, sure, but that stuff...bleck.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I want this picture
    I want to erase that standalone sentence without any context to it in your quotebox from my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Gallery View Post
    I've dealt with that kind of biphobia before.

It also appears to have sexist elements. For example the opinions I seem to run across the most are bisexual women are straight but playing it up for attention and bisexual men are gay but in denial. The worst part is it seems to come from both hetero- and homosexual individuals.
    I take it as a small blessing that most of the cases that actually hold with that sort of belief have petered out or become confined to backwater areas such as schools that handle minors so I haven't had to watch people decrying the bad stereotype while people paraded around the bad stereotype and lived it while other people believed the bad stereotype was universal and decried bisexuals for it in quite a while. Was rather depressing to watch.

...Or maybe that was just a localized trend when I was young where there actually was a spike of people claiming to be bi falsely in order to get attention because it was trendy to do so. Unfortunately people don't seem to have realized that it's mostly ceased if it was ever a real thing in the first place... or if it was a thing, then it was likely caused by them believing that so people started acting in accordance with that belief.

...I do rather heavily suspect that people started doing it for attention at my old school merely because of the public perception that bi was the new black and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Again, it's not about the definition that's important, its' what you feel is right.
    Actually, it kind of is important to use language in a way that others will understand us and to internalize the actual definitions of words so that our beliefs about them aren't misinterpreted by others. So, no, I must disagree with you quite strongly and oppose any kind of effort to give up on being capable of communicating coherently in favor of merely saying whatever feels right rather than what actually says what we mean in any context.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    And somehow implies that men are so irresistible that unless you convert all the way one way or the other, you'll always come back to the penis's siren call.
    Mostly it's that people believe women claim to be bisexual merely to seem more exotic and draw additional attention from men, not that they're actually bisexual in my experience with such beliefs and the people who hold with them. So they don't think women can't resist men if they don't become out and out lesbians, it's that they don't believe these women are actually bisexual in the first place for whatever reason but instead that the women are simply lying for attention.

So you're giving things a bit more credit about being on the up and up and existing than they do in your assumptions of the situation, at least, I think so as a result of my experiences with this sort of belief as I encountered it during my secondary education.

Anonymous: If they're worth your time, they won't believe misinformation that you're only using them to lie about your true sexuality. Simple as that.

Now the real problem is with your friends doing this to you... Well, it sounds like you're going to need to have a sit down and chat with them about violating the sacred bonds of friendship in attempting to shoot you down before you even go on a date in addition to the whole thing of friendship being a relationship of mutual respect and trust and how calling you a liar or stupid or deluded to your face definitely inhibits mutual respect and trust.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-04-18 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide