Obviously, it's a downer to get stereotyped in any way, but I get real upset about gay theatre stereotypes and stuff.

I go to / participate in theatre because I like theatre. It's fun and emotional, and presents a physical and mental challenge to live up to the role and inhabit it, and to learn the songs and choreography and act the part well.

I like Lady GaGa because she is a very creative person who sings catchy songs. I think she is an excellent songwriter and choreographer and performer, and she has a great voice. I also like her crazy fashion and her design concepts. Finally, I like what she stands for- she's a very good person and very generous with the use of her money and fame to help improve the lives of others.

I enjoy Glee because I like music and theatre and because I sing in a high school choir and because I'm helping to found an all male a capella group. I guess that means I connect to the show. I also enjoy the humour of the show and the quality of the acting (more connections here). I really admire the treatment of minority characters, particularly the exploration of Kurt and Blaine's relationship and Sue and her sister's interaction. Furthermore, I really admire the show's treatment of people with mental retardation and queer youth as well.

I like theatre, GaGa, and Glee, yes, but not because I am gay. I think I like them more because I am gay and that allows a further level of connection to all three, but that is not why I like them. This doesn't apply to GaGa and Glee, but I must point out that I've like theatre from before when I liked boys.

Although, another reason I think that so many gay men are drawn to all three is that (aside from audience connectivity) well, it's rather that most straight men are not drawn to them. I guess it's a different facet of the connectivity thing, but I think queer folk are just naturally less inhibited about their perceived masculinity. At one time, theatre may have been (and still is some places) a venue where oppressed gay men could step out of their constricting lives for an hour or two to show their worth by dancing their hearts out in front of three hundred people, but now I think it's more that more straight men than gay men feel theatre is a threat to their masculinity. Ergo gay men are more commonly found in the theatre community because they don't feel worried about it's effect on their perceived masculinity.

Food for thought.