Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
I still assert that Ponyville has it's property values affected by it's location; near both the current and defunct Royal capitals, within spitting distance of what is functionally a military school/scout camp combo, a frost full of rare-ish herbs, and access to the full width of the Apple Belt.

Although I so have to admit, the sheer levels of epic monster population is awkward. We can suppose Cloudsdale, a mundane military training facility (as opposed to a magical warfare training facility) was integral to the founding of Ponyville. Frontiers-ponies found a Locus of valuable resources, established fortifications, and a town sprung up around them over time.

It would also explain their non-magic traditions; it's important for a town to distinguish itself when it sits literally in the shadows of the capital estate. Some towns decide instead to embrace the capital's ways as their own, but I've seen this more in media whereas in person the individuation tends to be more important.

Still, the everfree forest contains an Ursa cave and a full grown and completely hidden green dragon. The everfree forest is HUGE, if only so these beasts don't cross territory.
Well, unless Dragons and Ursas fulfill very different niches.