Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
My point was that society idealise thinness to a point that I feel is unhealthy. I don't mean that every skinny person is unhealthy (they might be, they might not, better to check with a doctor since they have a higher chance to be than if they were of average weight). The fact that the "healthy" BMI range was lowered was just one example.

Really, I have a beef about it because of a friend I had who had an eating disorder. She was anorexic, and it was quite obvious. Well, she tried getting better, but as she started to gain a bit of weight to become healthier, she started getting comments about how she "was getting fat". When she was still underweight, and more than that, obviously underweight.
I'm sure you can imagine what kind of effect that had on someone who was already suffering for a skewed perception of her body and an eating disorder.
Basically, society was telling her "you look better when you're unhealthy. Don't try to get your health under control".
Oh man, I have some stories there. I've had numerous people actively discourage me from working out because I'm the type of frame that gains weight from working out. And I've had people tell me how wonderful I looked when I got extremely sick and couldn't eat. For that matter, I've had people praise the fact that I have the discipline to not eat a lot - for the record, I have digestive issues that make eating regular meals practically impossible. So, I'm kind of skeptical about the whole "people prefer a healthy figure" thing.