1. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony VII: The Grand Galloping Thread

I think there's something decidedly addictive about it; somehow, it's clearly hit a commonality in a lot of people (outside the target audience). The fact it's funny, well-written and the characters all have some depth is a strong contender; as well as it being innocent, when so little these days is innocent.

I a theory that there's something about the pony design/artstyle/animation (combined with the characterisation) that particularly appeals to the male hindbrain somehow; sort of an inverse uncanny valley effect, if you will. I'm not psychologist (though many would say I'm mental...) but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something in it, though what, exactly, I couldn't say. Given how rapidly it seems to be taking off (I only learned about it a couple of weeks or so ago, and then from a reference from something else), I just do wonder. Food for thought, anyway.

Altogether though, it's a very well put-together show all round, and it's funny without being surreal (which a lot of the newer "funny" cartoons are, even the ones that are actually watchable). It's not Proper Avatar, W.i.t.c.h or Centurions, but I think must rank extremely high in it's own genera, and it's such a nice, relaxing non-angsty thing to watch.

Edit: Thanqol raises some extremely good points, which may also explain the phenominon.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-05-20 at 08:40 AM.