Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
@Seerow

Spoiler
Show
I hate it when people say that. It's like people are forgetting that Dance was originally supposed to be only the parts concurrent with Feast. Instead, Dance is going farther, significantly farther, into stuff that happens after the timeline of Feast. Honestly, everything after that point was originally going into Winter. So what if a few hundred pages that were supposed to go into Winter are going into Winter?

We're still literally hundreds of pages ahead of where we would have been, and thus farther into the plot. Considering that Dance is so freaking huge specifically because Martin didn't want to leave quite so many cliffhangers after so long, I'd say we're doing fine.

Once you see a Jaime or Cercei chapter, you should remember that technically, that is Winds of Winter territory, originally.
Spoiler
Show
Maybe, but the impression I've always gotten is Martin is literally incapable of writing on any sort of budget, whether it be time or space. Remember, GRRM used to be a television writer, he quit that and went into writing novels because he continually produced scripts that nobody would accept because they were too long. He cited recently that there's a great irony in the fact that he gave up television to write a story that would be unfilmable, and then that same story becomes a television hit.

As an aside, were you aware the series was originally supposed to be only 3 or 4 books long? like I remember seeing something about the red wedding was supposed to be around the end of book 1. Obviously that didn't work out, so GRRM rearranged his stuff, and decided it would be 5 books long. Then he gets to AFFC and realizes that he can't fit everything he wants, and splits the book, rearranged stuff, and decides the story will be 7 books.... then here we are with the second half of the split book, and are having chapters written for the most recent book being pushed forward to another book.

I could be proven wrong, and we will see ADWD this year, and then the last two books both within a reasonable time (1-2, maybe even 3 years each), and WOW will finish the series. If this happens, I will be pleasantly surprised. On the other hand, to me that doesn't seem particularly feasible. And I'm okay with that. I personally don't mind if I'm sitting around 20 years from now reading the 10th ASOIAF book, as long as GRRM doesn't like, die or something, before he finishes.