Quote Originally Posted by jguy View Post
Been awhile since anything new has been posted here. Hope the project continues to expand and improve. I've noticed some things and hope it helps make these classes even better.
Still working on it, but trying to focus on legacy weapons and a few more feats. As far as classes go, mainly making adjustments based on player/playtest feedback.

Soldier:
  1. Soldier has access to Crashing Wave but is not trained in Swim
  2. The description under ability scores describes it as having only 4 per level, when it has 6.
  3. 5th level seems a little dead. +1 BAB and a new stance. I know stances are powerful by being on all the time but I don't think a whole levels worth is "New Stance!" Not the same as "3rd level spells!"
1. Wow; complete oversight on my part; thanks
2. I think I went back and forth and, obviously, the two things got out of sync; thanks again
3. 16th is the same; I think when I was putting it together, I did consider stances to be a pretty substantial feature, since they can be things like 2d6 sneak attack, so I think I'm ok with a stance being the only feature of a class level, but I'll keep it in mind
Made the first two changes.

Mercenary: Been playing this for awhile now. Started at level 1 and I am about to level to 5. Love the class but I have found an inherit flaw in how it plays. It is a Int based class...but not really. See, it gets Int to damage over Strength, leading you to want to dump strength or at least not have it high. Since you use finessable weapons, you obviously want to use Weapon Finesse to use Dex instead.

Here is the problem. When I hit level 4 and could put a point in a stat, I didn't put it in Int. I put it in Dex. See, I get Int to Damage, but not to Attack. To make up for my 3/4 BAB and no strength, I have weapon finesse and Shadow Blade to add Dex to damage when in a Shadow Hand Stance. It is hard to consider a class "Int Based" when Dex is more important to me right now. My guy has 18 Int and 15 Dex right now but if I could do it over I'd have 16/16 and have 1 higher attack and 1 higher Init mod but the same damage. My first +2 stat item I am buying as well? Gloves of Dexterity. It gives me so much more then headband of intellect. +1 to attack, Ac, and Damage while headband will simply add +1 damage and a slightly better mod to my int based skills.
Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I think what happened is that int seemed like a primary stat when it's actually secondary, playswithfire you should rewrite your ability paragraph. The thing is it has skill points out the wazzoo and a things like tactics giving free skill points so it doesn't need int so much for skills, and most of it's class features push it into melee range which makes dex and con more important.
You're right. I meant for it to be Int-based, but only 3 class features really reference intelligence and the two that aren't informed aim come at 10th and 20th. In my head, its maneuvers had int-based DC's but that's not true either. I really need to either tweak some features and/or rewrite the abilities section.

You don't get much out of having High Int that you wouldn't in playing a Swashbuckler, and they get full BAB and weapon finesse for free. I have a couple suggestions to make it a true Int Based class.

1.) Brew up a feat that gives you Int to attack that counts as Weapon Finesse for feat requirements (like Shadow Blade) and give it to Mercenary for free at level 1. This means they can dump Strength but not be punished for it.

2.) At 3rd level, give Mercenary a Ex ability that allows them to add Int to attack in place of strength for finesse weapons. This allows them to be full Int Based but it prevents casters from taking a single dip in it for Int to Rays.

3.) In the same theme as the previous, give them a inherit bonus to hit equal to half Int modifier. This means they still will probably get Weapon Finesse feat but giving yourself more Int isn't a bad thing anymore.
Good suggestions. I've also been working on updating a feat I wrote a while ago for another homebrew class and swashbucklers that was basically a reverse power attack. Reduce your bonus damage to gain half that bonus as to-hit. Obviously mostly helpful when you have sneak attack or wounding weapons, etc. Maybe change informed aim to be in addition to strength instead of replacing it and then give them that feat at around 3rd-5th.

Also, I don't think Informed Aim allows 1.5 damage on 2 hand weapons either way.
I was thinking of going into Two-Weapon Fighting but my primary maneuver line, Life's Blood, requires an open hand almost at all times to use its abilities.
I never considered two-handed weapons with Informed aim, but I think I would have it be 1.5 times with a spiked chain, as currently written, but not if I do the rewrite mentioned above.

Life's blood only requires a free hand for its couple of healing maneuvers, I thought, but it's been a while since I read over everything.

Very much appreciate all the feedback and look forward to your thoughts once I update the mercenary.