1. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Revelia: JRPG-styled Fantasy Webcomic

Spoiler
    Show
    Fanart!
    Tried to get a spongy cloud effect at first but then decided to use a feathered cloud, not quite happy with the result, but I hope it's enough to justify the period between my summoning and my appearance.

Spoiler
    Show

I've gotta say this is rather impressive.

The colouring scheme is rather soft yet not mute, it's nice on the sight and the character design is simple yet fine tuned and engaging. The scenery is greatly done, with softened tones and a bit of opacity. Terrains are used to great measure, also, there are transitions, this is an attention to detail that I hadn't seen for a great while, and there is also a posterized gradient for terrains which is rather nice, specially on the overview maps.

Actions are rather fluid, dialogue boxes do not cramp around and seem rather natural, expositions flow. It perfectly captures the JRPG feeling and the Tales dynamics. Interfaces get a nice Paper Mario -esque feeling to it yet are rather sleek and get a modern touch which blends in beautifully. Backgrounds get a feeling of life, background characters do things and change their behaviours, crowds are composed of individuals, enemies feel generic yet unique in a true RPG-ish fashion.

Head movement indicating facing and tilting is something I had never seen being used to such detail until now.

In other words: It's awesomely awesome.

The only REALLY minor detail would be that the multiple slashes seem weird since the slashes are there yet the sword is in resting position, I would suggest making a blur there with the sword doing the last slash, or going the visual novel way of blackening the screen, only showing the slashes and then the enemy getting cut and the attacker on resting position.

Will most definitely keep reading, already suscribed, and will try to produce more fanart.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2011-06-01 at 10:46 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.