"<...O-kay,>" Amelia says, drawing out the first syllable as she gathers her thoughts. "<On the Despot--I don't particularly want to threaten him if we have another option...but eventually, we are going to disagree. For instance, I'm not going to be fine with slavery in perpetuity. I understand if that isn't our first priority, but I won't just let it go.>" Amelia makes a few unconscious movements to settle her balance, as if she thinks someone might try to physically attack her, or she's thinking of doing the same. "<We can delay it so that we don't give Laurel power, but once we deal with her. Just because slavery is accepted here doesn't mean I think it acceptable.>" And I don't understand how you can not be, fellow Earthlings. You know that it can be better.

"<And the Laurel speculation about the Demjen is valid, but we aren't sure. For all I know, the girl who grabbed it might have called it up. I'm not suggesting that has a high probability of being true, I'm just emphasizing that I have very little information. And I'm not well-versed in the occult.>"