1. - Top - End - #469
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XII: "Now in Rapid Fire range!"

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Now that is a very interesting question.

Generally speaking, the Stormraven, if you're using it as a transport instead of a straight gunship, has the capacity to unload your nastiest assault unit right where it needs to be, with all the advantages that having the charge means. If the Terminators are that unit then I'd put them in it rather than deep strike them or have them footslog.

On the other hand, in a list where everyone has power weapons as standard, I personally feel it comes down to this.

GKT's will be more durable, especially against enemies with few power weapons, ordinary GK's have the advantage of numbers. Without access to the codex, I couldn't tell you whether the extra numbers make up for a poorer individual statline, or improve on the number of attacks or whether the PAGK's get an invulnerable save (They get everything else though) but, applying a little logic and assumptions, I can come up with this.

Obviously, please see this for the work of assumption and best guess hypothesis that it is, as there's no way most people would fit out a GK's squad like this.

Unless Matt Ward had an aneurysm immediately before statting GKT's, they have 2 attacks base, as per Terminators. A Stormraven can carry 6 at the most, 5 if you have an IC with them. Best casing it and assuming a squad of 6, that means 12 attacks base, 18 on the charge, 24 if they all have 2 Close combat weapons.

PAGK's have 1 attack base, but a Stormraven can carry full squad of 10 plus an Independent character, who'll I'll leave out of the equation for now. Each marine will therefore get 2 attacks on the charge, 3 if they have 2 CC weapons and charge. That means 10 attacks base, 20 charging and 30 if they charge and have 2 CC weapons for each and every marine which I believe they can do.

With identical strength and WS, I'd say you're more likely to nuke the unit straight off the map with the PAGK's but that is assuming you go first, everything hits and wounds and no saves are made.

Assuming normal tabletop events occur, you'll be at least 2 turns killing the unit and then the extra durability of the Terminators will begin to swing the pendulum their way, especially if PAGK's don't get an invulnerable save. If the combat goes on longer than a single round, you have more attacks and way better saves with the Terminators.

I'd say go for them.
    Apologies, I think I left out a little too much when I asked that question. Though I do agree with the majority of your assessment, Timberwolf.

Here are the lists which I am considering.

Spoiler
    Show

HQ
    Librarian with Quickening, Shrouding, Might of Titan, Sanctuary [170]
    Inquisitor with Rad Grenades, Psychotroke Grenades [55]
    Troops
    Grey Knight Strike Squad x10 with Psybolt Ammunition, Psycannons x2 [240]
    Grey Knight Strike Squad x10 with Psybolt Ammunition, Psycannons x2 [240]

Fast Attack
    Storm Raven with Twin-linked Multi-Melta, Twin-linked Lascannon [205]

Heavy Support
    Dreadnought with Twin-linked Autocannon x2, Psybolt Ammunition [135]
    Dreadnought with Multi-Melta, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon [115]

or

Spoiler
    Show

HQ
    Librarian with Shrouding, Might of Titan, Sanctuary [165]

Troops
    Grey Knight Terminator Squad x5 Nemesis Halberds x5 [200]
    Grey Knight Terminator Squad x6 Nemesis Halberds x5, Psycannon, Justicar Thawn [340]

Fast Attack

Heavy Support
    Dreadnought with Multi-Melta, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon [115]

Now, while I feel that Terminators with Halberds are mostly better than Strike Squads in assault, Strike Squads are so much better in shooting.

Also, am I able to give Thrawn a Psycannon? I'm leaning towards no, but I could be wrong and that would be pretty sweet. Can you imagine Thrawn getting up every turn in my opponent's deployment zone and potentially unleashing 4 Psycannon shots and 3 S6 I6 attacks?
    Last edited by Razaele; 2011-06-09 at 11:42 AM.

Awesome avatar and siggy by Kwarkpudding