1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] (Spelljammer) Sharkentine Empire Troops. (Please Critique)

Hi, could use some advice on this race. The first I have made as a Homebrew meant to be a big reoccurring enemy race (Thing Wraith or Jaffa) along with their will-broken slave race the Crucians (Official D&D race).

Some info on this Speljammer race:
    1. They are from a cluster of solar system spheres (think my version of a "galaxy" in the Material Plane/Spelljammer Plane) which is on the far/outer reaches of unknown space.
    2. There they have not met a race able to take them, and their limited Spelljamming abilities, on. They have conquered most of their cluster with only a few worlds/spheres remaining free.
    3. There are no standard races, nor any of the main spelljammer influences in this sphere minus the Neogi who act in secret supplying the Sharkentine Empire with it's only method of Spelljamming: Lifejammers (aka Helms that drain life from a pilot/victim/slave for power).
    4. Mechanically they are meant to function in "squads". Normally four Sharkentine Empire Basic Warriors (1) led by a Sharkentine Empire Squad Leader.
    5. Squad of higher armored slaves are also used in the form of four Crucian warriors led by a single Sharkentine Empire Basic Warrior (1).
    6. The reason I did not armor the Sharkentines is because they are an aquatic race, so metal is out, and since they have +4 natural and are so deadly in combat no race in their native cluster of spheres have been able to take them on so they see no need for improving their gear in the moment.
    7. I am running an E6 game, so they will be used extensively for a while without becoming "weaker" by usual D&D terms.
    8. They only use (or possibly know how to make) Turtle Ships (aka "Battle Boats"), especially since turtles are kinda numerous here...
    9. Now that these strange alien PCs are here from some unknown spheres they Sharkentine Empire is VERY eager to interrogate them. And then maybe see what they taste like in clam soup.
    10. Their "Water Tanks" provide 12 hours of Clean Breathable Water, and four hours of Fouled Water. (As the mechanics for Fouled Air in Spelljammer)

Now to the mechanics:

Sharkentine Empire Basic Warrior (1)
    Sharkentine Empire Basic Warrior (1)
    Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Shark)/Aquatic
    Hit Dice: 2d8+1d8+3(19 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), Swim 60 ft.
    Armor Class: 14 (+4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
    Attack: Bite +5 (1d6+3/x2) or Bayonet +4 melee (1d4+3/19-20 ×2) or Speargun +3 ranged (1d10/×2) [Move Action to reload]
    Full Attack: Bite +0 (1d6+3/x2) and Bayonet +4 melee (1d4+3/19-20 ×2) or Speargun +3 ranged (1d10/×2) [Move Action to reload]
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: —
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Backpack to breathe while in air.
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8
    Skills: Listen +2, Spot +3, Survival +2
    Feats: Weapon Focus: (Bite), Weapon Focus: (Speargun)
    Environment: Under Water
    Organization: Squad of four with Squad Leader.
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: Standard, plus advanced spear gun.
    Alignment: Usually TN, but naturally vicious/violent
    Advancement: By character class
    LA: +1

Sharkentine Empire Squad Leader
    Sharkentine Empire Squad Leader (Warrior 3)
    Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Shark)/Aquatic
    Hit Dice: 2d8+3d8+5(29 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 14 (+4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+7
    Attack: Bite +9 (1d6+4/x2) or Bayonet +8 melee (1d4+4/19-20 ×2) or Speargun +6 ranged (1d10/×2) [Move Action to reload]
    Full Attack: Bite +4 (1d6+4/x2) and Bayonet +8 melee (1d4+4/19-20 ×2) or Speargun +6 ranged (1d10/×2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: 3x Coral Grenade. 5ft. Radius. (1d4 Shrapnel + Poison). Poison is like Sassone leaf residue.
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Backpack to breathe while in air.
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8
    Skills: Listen +4, Spot +5, Survival +4
    Feats: Weapon Focus: (Bite), Weapon Focus: (Speargun)
    Environment: Under Water
    Organization: Accompanied by squad of four basics.
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: Standard, plus advanced spear gun+grenades.
    Alignment: Usually TN, but naturally vicious/violent
    Advancement: By character class
    LA: +1

Crucian Slaves
    See appropriate D&D book (I use by D&D minis card...LoL)
    Used as both troops, and "food" for their Lifejammers.

So, thoughts on these guys? Any changes you can suggest? Improvements? Likes or dislikes about them?

Many Pikas in advance!

ps. Any other aquatic slave races you can suggest?
    Last edited by Pika...; 2011-06-16 at 02:27 PM.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.