Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
Personal Opinion That Overrules Canon In My Games:

Poison is not evil. It's not chaotic, it's not dishonourable, and each paladin writes his own code (or adopts the code of a mentor), so it's not even unpaladinlike (not even unladylike, either).
Oh dear.

Poisoning a weapon is cheating. It's taking away the skill of the person using said weapon and replacing it with chemistry. It's not noble, it's not skillful and it's not any kind of fight when you can incapacitate or kill the other guy with the lightest of scratches.

The question isn't "Should I use it?" The question is, "Would I object it if it were used on me?" And if I need to go into this any further, I have a feeling it wouldn't make any difference.
Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
My problem is that "poison use" is hilariously stupid as a concept because, as I mentioned, everything is a poison. And this is without going into things like allergies, which something that further muddies the waters (Is it poison (and therefore evil) if I am captured by orcs and, instead of stabbing them all in the eye with a toothpic (à la typical action hero), I put almonds in their meals, fully aware that most orcs are deathly allergic to almonds?).

And what about the theoretical paladin who casts a compulsion spell that make targets hyperventilate to death (sustained hyperventilation causes metabolic alkalosis, which can be fatal, and physiologically indistinguishable from having ingested or inhaled a "poisonous" substance that produced the same effect)? That's, in a fashion, poisoning people to death with air. And why does he do that? Because this is basically painless. Instead of hacking into their soft flesh like the main character in a slasher flick, he kills them in a more humane way.

Or he challenges the BBEG to a drinking contest and kills him via alcohol poisoning. Why is that Evil? That should be Awesome Good instead.
Too technical. Too ludicrous. Get your classroom out of my RPG.

Poison makes things easier for you and harder for the enemy. But does it in a way that isn't clever, it's sneaky. It's not a tactical advantage or an ace in the hole, it's something that would have players screaming out about how unfair the GM was being if it were done to them.

In a place where morality can take concrete form and literally rip your lungs out, there is no argument that poison is evil.