View Single Post

Thread: The ice age cometh

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default The ice age cometh

So we recently had a discussion on scientific skepticism, which was locked.

I have some questions. I'm hoping we can avoid the nonscientific, political ramifications of the questions and confine ourselves to the science proper, which should be within forum guidelines if we're careful.

Article 1
    Article 2
    Article 3
    Article 4

Please note that I have attempted to use resources such as National Geographic and have avoided sensationalist outlets such as Fox News or Daily Mail.

All articles convey essentially the same story ... this on from NG:

Three independent studies of the sun's insides, surface, and upper atmosphere all predict that the next solar cycle will be significantly delayed—if it happens at all. Normally, the next cycle would be expected to start roughly around 2020.

The combined data indicate that we may soon be headed into what's known as a grand minimum, a period of unusually low solar activity.

The predicted solar "sleep" is being compared to the last grand minimum on record, which occurred between 1645 and 1715.

Known as the Maunder Minimum, the roughly 70-year period coincided with the coldest spell of the Little Ice Age, when European canals regularly froze solid and Alpine glaciers encroached on mountain villages.

(See "Sun Oddly Quiet—Hints at Next 'Little Ice Age?'")
    So, my questions are:

1) These are general interest publications. Given the discussions we've had on the poor quality of science reporting in the media, does anyone want to unpack this and give us a better picture of what's really happening?

2) How does this fit into the overall consensus of climate science?

3) Do you have suggested resources and links so I can answer these questions myself? Not just consensus authorities, but reputable contrarians. After all, science improves by challenging assumptions, not by upholding them.

4) An SF rather than a political question. Given possible threats to our way of life from ice ages or potential warming, is it possible to implement planetary climate control? Would climate control imply weather control in general, determining when and where it rains? How could this be accomplished, using SF means? When I say "SF" , I mean hard SF, not freeze rays. Sort of like, "Why does Coruscant not melt due to the cooling issues of a planetwide city".

" Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice."

-- Robert Frost

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2011-06-15 at 09:20 AM.