Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
I could believe that it'd gotten softer and maybe trickled a bit if, as you say, they'd depicted it as having been in there a long time (for some reason). But they didn't, and that's the problem.

Spoiler
Show
Also, I was under the impression that the melting point of gold was 1064.18 degrees Celsius. Lava's average temperature is around 700 Celsius to 1200.

While yes, over time you might make it slighlty drippy, the problem is that they depicted it as having become, as you said, "a bucket of yellow paint with glitter in it", which could never be achievable with the fire they had.
Like I said, difference between book and screen. A goodly bit of time passed in the book. Virtually none on TV. The "melted" gold was drippy and "running" not liquified in the book. It was also far less volume than as depicted in the show.

It was a flat out crappily made scene in the show.

And yes, camp fires typically burn between 700 and 1200 degrees, but depending on what you make your fire with, how you stoke and tend it, and etc., you can get one up to a temperature hot enough to smelt steel,which is more than adequate to melt gold. Again, from the book, the fires in question were described as being 10 feet tall, not the little cook fires we saw in the show.