1. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIV: Boots on Hooves / Bikinis on Top

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    So, I've heard having OCs in fanfiction, shipping or otherwise is bad. Is there a specific reason for this other than that OCs can tend to be Mary/Marty Stus?
    That's pretty much the only real reason.

I mean, there's also a level that, as fanfiction writers, we're writing with someone else's characters and setting. You get too removed from that and there's not a lot of point in just writing your own original story.

And I have seen a couple OC/Canon shippings that looked interesting. It's just a matter of presentation.

The trick to a good OC is this:

1) They have to fit the tone of the original universe.
    2) While they can resemble you in a few aspects, they should have a unique outlook on life that differs from your own in significant respects.
    3) You need to hook the audience on them fast. You want them to care, and they'll resist it, so you have a page at most before most will decide to give up on it.
    4) Special little snowflake syndrome. This relates to number 1, but your OC shouldn't be the greatest flyer in Equestria, the best orange bucker, the most sensitive poet. A mediocre talent can still be very interesting.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-07-12 at 09:24 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com